Sub-line -
Size - Combiner
New/remould/redeco - New
Wave - 1
Released here - August 2009
Approximate Retail Price - $90-220
Approximate Size - 30cm (combined mode)
Allegiance - Decepticon
Alt-mode - Six construction vehicles (Scavenger/Power-shovel, Mixmaster/Cement-mixer, LongHaul/Dumptruck, Scrapper/Earthmover, Rampage/Bulldozer, Hightower/crane).
Main Features/Gimmicks - Combiner, lights&sounds.
Main Colours - Black, grey, red, white, yellow, green.
Main Accessories - none
My Difficulty rating (out of 5) - 2
Stability - Vehicle modes are stable, with very few moving/convertable parts. Combined mode needs to be squatting to balance, so isn't too stable in that mode, but the sheer weight and bulk probably left very few options for it to have strong enough leg joints to hold a standing pose.
Poseability/articulation - Limited, but expected due to the massive weight being supported by relatively small legs.
Playability - Most of it's play-value is in the combined mode, as the individual vehicles don't do much on their own, and and don't have their own robot-modes.
My Thoughts - I'm not too upset about the individual vehicles not having their own robot modes, because the ones in the movie that formed Devastator didn't have robot-modes either. Besides, any more joints or articulation included in the design of Longhaul and Rampage would probably make it impossible to hold up the weight of the combined mode. These two figures are load-bearing, and need minimal moveable parts. One thing that does bug me with this set, is the way that Longhaul is the smallest toy, despite being the second-largest vehicle in real life. I love the cackling of Devasatator, when activating the light&sound gimmick.
My Overall Recommendation Rating (out of 10) - 8 (the big guy needs a big toy, and this is the version that gives you that)

http://www.otca.com.au/tr10014c.jpg

http://www.otca.com.au/tr10014d.jpg

DarkHyren
24th January 2010, 12:09 AM
My Thoughts - I'm not too upset about the individual vehicles not having their own robot modes, because the ones in the movie that formed Devastator didn't have robot-modes either.
I beg to differ (yeah, I'm annoying like that).
Long Haul, Mixmaster, Rampage, Scrapper were on the screen in robot mode.
Sure, mostly it was for like 10 secs each, but still :p

It's an ok toy I suppose, but I'm used to old school Constructicons that had robot modes.
They could have been cool but the fact that the individual vehicles can't transform softa puts me off.
That and the high price tag. I would prefer to get the Legends Class Constructicons if I was to get them at all.

griffin
24th January 2010, 01:54 AM
I beg to differ (yeah, I'm annoying like that).
Long Haul, Mixmaster, Rampage, Scrapper were on the screen in robot mode.
Sure, mostly it was for like 10 secs each, but still :p

Since the Constructicons were numerous clones, the ones we saw forming Devastator didn't take on robot modes before they merged - and maybe they sacrificed (or forced to sacrifice) their individual robot modes to be able to merge with each other to create a combined mode.

Of the Legends set and this large Devastator set, this one is probably more movie accurate because there is no proof that the ones forming Devastator still had individual robot-modes (we just assume they did, because other Constructicons that didn't form Devastator, and probably can't, had robot modes). Magmatron (http://www.tfu.info/1999/Destron/Magmatron/magmatron.htm) in the JP Beast Wars series is the same, in that 3 beasts with no individual robot modes, merged to form the combined robot mode of Magmatron.

dirge
24th January 2010, 08:27 AM
Having played with this set, I find it's terrible value, even at $100. The individual vehicles are out of scale with each other, and do pretty much nothing on their own. The combined robot is... okay... but not enough to justify the pricetag.

GoktimusPrime
24th January 2010, 10:46 AM
I voted "Only buy if cheap" but I mean _really_ cheap, like $70 or less.

DarkHyren
24th January 2010, 12:04 PM
Of the Legends set and this large Devastator set, this one is probably more movie accurate because there is no proof that the ones forming Devastator still had individual robot-modesI have no idea what you're on about clones. Ok, now I do, I read a little about it in the TFWiki.
It's sad that I had to look up the info because it wasn't explained that there were multiples of some Decepticons in ROTF.
Proves what I say, not enough storytelling in the Bay movies (sorry, went off topic).
Then yes I suppose the Constructicons that made Devastator might not have ever transformed, there's no way to know for sure with clones -_-

I still say it's play value is sort of limited, and as dirge said, the individual vehicles pretty much do nothing on their own.
They are just toy construction vehicles. Which is fine if you like that sorta thing. But I don't.
For me it's just an oversized figure statue thing, so I'll also say "Only buy if cheap", and I mean like under $50.

Grievous
24th January 2010, 02:37 PM
I personally don't understand all the hate directed at this guy...
:confused:

I paid $120.00 for him and I really do think that's a fair price...
I mean...he's massive...really.

Its hard to understand his size and bulk without actually
putting him together...or at least that's how I see it.

Now I will agree the paint job could have been much better
(Hightower really lets the team down) but that doesn't really
get to me.

And as far as the film goes...I thought there were two teams
of constructicons...one that forms Devastator and the other
that engages N.E.S.T in combat in the desert village.

The team that forms Devastator is designed to do just that
and nothing more. The individual constructicons have their
own robot modes and personalities with MixMaster being
the leader (Or at least that's how I see it)

GoktimusPrime
25th January 2010, 12:06 PM
I paid $120.00 for him and I really do think that's a fair price...
I disagree. The way I work it out is, if Hasbro sold these Constructicons separately, how much would you pay for them? Here's what I'd pay:
+ Long Haul and Rampage: they have the engineering of Happy Meal Transformers which cost $2 each. Granted that they are larger than Happy Meal TFs, so I'd pay $5 each.
+ Hightower and Scrapper: I'd pay $9 each.
+ Scavenger: really big toy, but otherwise fairly simple engineering. It also has a very "Fisher Price"-esque colour scheme (they didn't even bother to colour the shoulders to match Hightower and Scrapper even though they're "pseudo-parts" for those Constructicons). I'd pay $20.
+ Mixmaster: We all know that the electronics in this toy would massively jack the price up, so I'd expect $30 tops.

So in total I think this toy is worth $78 max.

I have no idea what you're on about clones. Ok, now I do, I read a little about it in the TFWiki.
It's sad that I had to look up the info because it wasn't explained that there were multiples of some Decepticons in ROTF.
Proves what I say, not enough storytelling in the Bay movies (sorry, went off topic).
Then yes I suppose the Constructicons that made Devastator might not have ever transformed, there's no way to know for sure with clones -_-
Even if we look at ROTF on its own, you know that the Constructicons that were hunting Sam aren't the same as the ones that formed Devastator. And it's true that the ones that formed Devvie never transformed to robot mode; I noticed this the first time I saw the film and realised that it justifies why the Combiner Class toys don't transform to robot mode (still doesn't make those toys suck any less mind you ;)).

When I first saw the film I didn't think of them as clones/drones, but more like the Decepticon jets in the G1 cartoon -- there's a whole army of them from the same set of moulds. e.g. purple Seekers, Sunstorm, Acidstorm, rainmakers etc.

christalcase
27th January 2010, 12:39 PM
I disagree. The way I work it out is, if Hasbro sold these Constructicons separately, how much would you pay for them? Here's what I'd pay:
+ Long Haul and Rampage: they have the engineering of Happy Meal Transformers which cost $2 each. Granted that they are larger than Happy Meal TFs, so I'd pay $5 each.
+ Hightower and Scrapper: I'd pay $9 each.
+ Scavenger: really big toy, but otherwise fairly simple engineering. It also has a very "Fisher Price"-esque colour scheme (they didn't even bother to colour the shoulders to match Hightower and Scrapper even though they're "pseudo-parts" for those Constructicons). I'd pay $20.
+ Mixmaster: We all know that the electronics in this toy would massively jack the price up, so I'd expect $30 tops.

So in total I think this toy is worth $78 max.

ummmm, just out of curiousity, Goktimus, how much did you pay for your supreme devastator?

GoktimusPrime
27th January 2010, 08:27 PM
$97, which I think is still too expensive. I felt ripped off after I opened that toy. <sigh> :(