PDA

View Full Version : TFCC Punch/Counterpunch & Shattered Glass Cyclonus Revealed

JustOwen
23rd January 2010, 11:36 PM
http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/universe-classics-20-29/tfcc-punchcounterpunch--shattered-glass-cyclonus-revealed-169042/

Punch looks nice

kup
24th January 2010, 12:05 AM
First time we see the car mode.

There is no surprise there as its not hard to imagine what it will look like since its just a blue repaint of Sunstreaker/Sideswipe. The defining mode is that of the 'two' robot modes. I wish to see actual pics of the toy in the robot modes as I am curious on how they have tackled some issues such as the fists.

griffin
24th January 2010, 02:07 AM
I had trouble accessing the TFW2005 link, so in case anyone else does, Seibertron (http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/sneak-peek-at-tfcc-punch-counterpunch-and-sg-cyclonus/17710/) has it posted there as well. Pics are also at the source - http://www.transformersclub.com/

MV75
24th January 2010, 08:49 AM
Heh, "Jet-Rod".

Hotrod, is that you?

dirge
24th January 2010, 09:16 AM
I like the G1 cartoon reference with the "Killing Jar" colours on Cyclonus. Obscure, but on point (:

Sky Shadow
24th January 2010, 09:48 AM
I like the G1 cartoon reference with the "Killing Jar" colours on Cyclonus. Obscure, but on point (:

Isn't our problem with this that it's not Killing Jar Cyclonus? KJ Cyc was yellow with green bits. This is just Cyclonus in Hot Rod colours. :(

http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=6490

Zippo
24th January 2010, 11:19 AM
Oh drool on Punch.
To become a member this year or try to get via some other method?

dirge
24th January 2010, 05:20 PM
Isn't our problem with this that it's not Killing Jar Cyclonus? KJ Cyc was yellow with green bits. This is just Cyclonus in Hot Rod colours. :(

I like the fact that they've based in on orange as a "tip of the hat" to the Killing Jar, rather than just going for some random red/white colour scheme. Granted it could have been a direct tribute, but it's enough for me to like what they've done. Better than Jazz with a random vehicle-mode moustache, certainly :confused:

fatbot
25th January 2010, 06:02 PM
Oh drool on Punch.
To become a member this year or try to get via some other method?

i reckon you could find someone could help you get him mate.

reillyd
25th January 2010, 07:00 PM
i reckon you could find someone could help you get him mate.

I'm happy to help anyone with a punch/counterpunch order. Trouble is, the shipping is a biatch, and you'd have to factor that in. I'll be ordering some for myself, anyway.

Lord_Zed
25th January 2010, 07:52 PM
I like the fact that they've based in on orange as a "tip of the hat" to the Killing Jar, rather than just going for some random red/white colour scheme. Granted it could have been a direct tribute, but it's enough for me to like what they've done. Better than Jazz with a random vehicle-mode moustache, certainly :confused:

Wasn't Cyclonus Green and Gold in killing Jar? I don't see how this could be considered a tribute to anything but Hot Rod.

fatbot
8th February 2010, 05:15 AM
According to OTFCC the pre orders for punch and SG cyclonus will be up very soon

Zippo
8th February 2010, 04:50 PM
Maybe I can still get while I am a member .. for the next 3 weeks.

Vector Prime
5th March 2010, 03:35 PM
Finalized image of SG Cyclonus (http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/conventions-15/finalized-image-of-shattered-glass-cyclonus-169266/)

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/attach/4/0/5/9/7/cyclonusGROUPsg_1267743754.jpg

Tetsuwan Convoy
6th March 2010, 09:34 PM
Finalized image of SG Cyclonus (http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/conventions-15/finalized-image-of-shattered-glass-cyclonus-169266/)

AAARGH! MY EYES!
Man that looks....
Tacky...

And yet my liking of shattered glass universe makes me wanty....:(

Might just get it coz it stands out so much

Kyle
6th March 2010, 09:38 PM
I was surprised that the initial pics had chrome...

Not any more I guess... :o:D

griffin
6th March 2010, 09:49 PM
Would have been better value if it did have chrome, to go with the JP Cyclonus & Strafe toys...
I guess delays and changes in plans continue to plague FunPub.

MV75
6th March 2010, 11:01 PM
Don't fret, still looks like hotrod. Even comes with mini-rod. I'm sure there will be a carbon rod add-on accessory made for it too.

kup
7th March 2010, 01:25 AM
Yeah it is garish but it does pull of the 'Reverse Hotrod' tribute very well despite that. The 'Mirror Mirror' effect is what this figure was going for and it has succeeded even if colors could have been better.

dirge
7th March 2010, 11:52 AM
I like this Cyclonus. Will definitely be trying to get my hands on this one (:

Sky Shadow
7th March 2010, 12:06 PM
http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/attach/4/0/5/9/7/cyclonusGROUPsg_1267743754.jpg

This is what Cyclonus looks like in an alternate universe where he works at Maccas.

Linthart
7th March 2010, 12:39 PM
This is what Cyclonus looks like in an alternate universe where he works at Maccas.

Look, its Ronald McClonus :p

Paulbot
27th March 2010, 09:47 AM
Preorders are open for these figures now.

Punch/Counterpunch is USD $60
SG Cyclonus is USD $44

griffin
29th March 2010, 01:55 PM
As of a few hours ago according to the Official Club people, Punch/CP is now over 80% sold out, with less than 300 left.
Cyclonus was doing well as well, with about 40% sold out a couple days ago when Punch was at 50%.
Looks like they may have only produced about 1500 of each on those. Dion is a membership figure, which is likely to be at least 3000 (last year they had over 2000 members, so need at least one per member to begin with), so will probably have a few spare, as members won't be ordering another one.
http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/less-than-300-punch-counterpunch-left/18139/

Vector Prime
30th March 2010, 03:03 AM
GONE!!! P/CP ALL SOLD OUT :( (http://www.seibertron.com/news/view.php?id=18146)

griffin
30th March 2010, 03:52 AM
The toy scalpers are gonna love that news...
If we thought AU$80 was a lot for a Deluxe (what it worked out to be on our group order), the price of these figures on ebay when they are released will be jaw-dropping.

The Collector Club certainly raked it in with that one. A figure that would have cost them no more than US$15 wholesale to produce, and they sold it for US$59. At 1500 figures, that's an easy 60 Grand, in less than a week!
You'd think they would produce more to satisfy demand and make more a bit more money from one Exclusive of theirs that has actually paid off. And since these haven't hit the secondary market yet, a second run won't devalue the first 1500 (so no one would be complaining).

Now, in a couple years time when Hasbro decides to do a P/CP figure for whatever the current 'Universe/Generations/etc' line is, then we'll have fans complaining...

Oilspill
30th March 2010, 04:38 AM
Yeah, I think they underestimated the demand for a P/CP figure with a new head sculpt. Don't know if it would have only cost $15 to produce though, there's a new mould, and from what I understand, the moulds are really really expensive. So that cost spread over 1500 figures might be significant? Just guessing. Maybe the mould is not that expensive as it is only 2 or 3 extra pieces.

On the plus side, if they do make a bunch of money out of it, hopefully a big chunk of it will be invested in the mould for the next figure.

Still, it seems silly for them not to do a second run considering how quickly it sold out. Demand is clearly there!

Sky Shadow
30th March 2010, 07:24 AM
Still, it seems silly for them not to do a second run considering how quickly it sold out. Demand is clearly there!

They should make a second run in green, grey and light blue with bits of lavender and red and call it Shattered Glass Doubledealer. :)

lcz128
30th March 2010, 09:49 AM
Heh. At this point I kind of just in it fOr the head!! My punch/cp has been lying around headless for a good long while now, so I can't wait!!!

It'd be great if and when hasbro put out a generations/whatever the line is called then version. Ultimately for me it's not about "feeling special" that I own exclusives.. Better to have the toys out to as many as possible!

Tetsuwan Convoy
30th March 2010, 02:22 PM
It'd be great if and when hasbro put out a generations/whatever the line is called then version. Ultimately for me it's not about "feeling special" that I own exclusives.. Better to have the toys out to as many as possible!

Only Problem with that is the club loses the tag of exclusivity. Sure I like toys being available to all, but if I find later that "club exclusives" are being brought out by Hasbro, the first thing I will do is ditch the club and wait.

I would assume there is some sort of contract bewtween OTFCC and hasbro to stop that from happening.

griffin
30th March 2010, 02:51 PM
As I suggested in the Venting topic, the Club don't own the mould or the character of Punch, only the head mould and maybe the exact colour scheme.
Hasbro can do whatever they want with this (their) mould, in whatever colour scheme they want, but they wouldn't have the same head mould (because FunPub produced it themselves), and would likely have a different colour scheme. Making this particular toy different, and still *Exclusive*. Just because FunPub are the first with the idea, doesn't mean Hasbro can't do it as well.

After all, we have Universe Overkill - FunPub did one, and about a year later Hasbro did one as well. No one really complained about that one, despite no new moulding (as opposed to Thrust (and Punch) which is significantly different because of the exclusive parts FunPub created).

Tetsuwan Convoy
30th March 2010, 10:13 PM
Oh, yeh thanks Griffin, I was wondering where I read a similar information about the club and various moulds. It dioesnt bother me that much, just as long as Hasbro dont bring out the EXACT same item. A couple of differences and I am happy. Just as with Thrust for example.

langzixinxin
31st March 2010, 05:13 PM
link is here:

http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/teaser-picture-of-tfcc-punch-counterpunch/18168/

I hope this photo is not taken from factory. If so I feel sorry how the toys been treated. No wonder I had paint scratch on my TFCC astrotrain. :mad:

Seraphim Prime
5th April 2010, 08:28 AM
The Collector Club certainly raked it in with that one. A figure that would have cost them no more than US$15 wholesale to produce, and they sold it for US$59. At 1500 figures, that's an easy 60 Grand, in less than a week!
I would argue that it would cost US$15 to produce. There a re quite a few different things happening that need to be considered.
1. A new head. A completely new head needs to be designed and engineered and tested to ensure it will fit the mould. I doubt that Fun Pub has designers on contract for the 6 or 7 new heads (GIJoe included) that they produce in a year, so they need to hire someone to do it freelance (similar I suppose to what Don Fig has done before for Hasbro).
2. Production of the Sunstreaker mould. They need to get Hasbro's factory to do a run of the Sunstreaker in purple and have paint apps applied.
3. Production of the head mould. They need another factory to produce the heads. This includes the production of thr casting mould and the mass production.
4. Production of packaging. They can probably get their contracted graphic designer on this, so the cost isn't that great but needs to be considered. (After all it's profit from exclusives/membership/BotCon that pays their wages). There would be some cost too in having the packaging produced.
5. Putting the new heads on and packaging it. This may or may not be done by the factory that produces the heads. But if done by the head factory, the costs of packaging said figure would only be a little bit less than separately hiring a bunch of people to do it for you.

Many of these costs have both set costs and production costs. For example (and don't use these numbers to disagree with me because I have no idea of their actual price) It could cost $17 000 to have the main Hasbro factory operational, then cost $2-3 per figure in materials. It could cost $13 000 to design and produce a new casting mould for the head, and then another $15 000 to have the second factory operational, and then $2 in materials per head.

We have economies of scale to consider as well. When Hasbro produces a figure they have a few hundred thousand, maybe even a few million figures to distribute the costs of production over. FunPub. has only 1500 figures to distribute these costs over. IE: Let's say Hasbro produces 1.5million figures (I would say they do even more considering 1.5mil.=0.025% of global population) then factory costs are distributed such that they are a fraction more than 3c per figure plus material costs. FunPub distribute these costs over a run of 1500 it costs $30 per figure plus material costs. With profit needed to be considered as well. Hence the prices being significantly higher than a Hasbro release.

You'd think they would produce more to satisfy demand and make more a bit more money from one Exclusive of theirs that has actually paid off. And since these haven't hit the secondary market yet, a second run won't devalue the first 1500 (so no one would be complaining).

Now, in a couple years time when Hasbro decides to do a P/CP figure for whatever the current 'Universe/Generations/etc' line is, then we'll have fans complaining...

I'm pretty sure they said they were looking into the possibility of getting more produced, yet made no promises. And again Hasbro won't be able to release the exact same thing as the mould is FunPublications' property, and the demand from their target market (children younger than 20 years who didn't see P/CP appear on screen for less than 2minutes) will not be there, and most (not all) fans will have been satisfied by the club release.

Wow, that was longer than I intended it to be. Congrats if you made it to the end! You win a fabulous noprize! :)

griffin
5th April 2010, 02:58 PM
Production costs are slightly higher with a smaller run, but FunPub wouldn't be paying for R&D costs, so should only nave to pay for the necessary materials.
Keep in mind that regular Deluxe figures have a wholesale cost of about US$6-7 (including packaging), so it is unlikely that FunPub's figures would cost more than double that.
As for the new head, in the past they've produced their own cheap mould, which doesn't last long, and usually destroyed once used. Once the toys arrive from Hasbro, they attach their exlusive parts, and package them. The exclusive parts wouldn't cost more than a few cents each to produce.
Packaging costs for FunPub would actually take up a fair bit of their expense, as it is usually fancy, limited run, solid boxes.
Compared to the regular Deluxe cost of about US$6, I just can't see FunPub's deluxes costing more than 2-3 times that.
(They were able to give away 'free' their deluxe sized Membership toy last year which also had a new head - Heatwave - so can't cost them too much to do)

MV75
5th April 2010, 04:44 PM
I'm pretty sure they said they were looking into the possibility of getting more produced, yet made no promises. And again Hasbro won't be able to release the exact same thing as the mould is FunPublications' property, and the demand from their target market (children younger than 20 years who didn't see P/CP appear on screen for less than 2minutes) will not be there, and most (not all) fans will have been satisfied by the club release.

The car would be replicable by hasbro, they just need their own head and colour scheme.

I don't really understand what else you are saying though, as the kids today never really saw any of the universe characters in shows, or really know their characters, yet those toys sold.

Punch would be a pretty good toy with a solid appealing gimmick for hasbro to release. And I wouldn't care, even though I'm getting this one, I'd still have a version that wasn't available in the shops.

griffin
5th April 2010, 08:24 PM
Visually, it is a strikingly beautiful blue, and if labelled as a triplechanger, I think it would sell quite well in stores.