PDA

View Full Version : Review: 2010_001 ROTF Lockdown

lcz128
24th January 2010, 02:57 PM
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/lcz128_photos/Transformers/January2010078_S.jpg
ROTF Lockdown (or, as I've really gotten him for my classics/henkei shelf, my Henkei Rockdown :b)
Please note as well that I've already started Henkei-fying him up as of this small photoshoot - so he has a shinied up engine block, bumper and wheel spikes
Series: Revenge of the Fallen - NEST Global Alliance
Size Class: Deluxe
Allegiance: Decepticon
Approx Retail Price: $30+? (I got mine for about 22AUD while I was off in HK - he was a bit hard to find and only found in hobby stores- not retail just yet)

Vehicle mode:
I like it! It's a very obvious homage to the Animated Lockdown, and oozes with attitude. The tampo'ed lines on the alt mode are nice and crisp. Paintwork on other sections like the gold bits are a little less crisp - with a few small sections where it's not fully painted. that said, ther main colours that make out his vehicle mode are: this browny black that makes the main exterior, green for his stripes, gold for some of the accents, silver for some of the spikes, and hasbrogrey for the bumper, engine block and the spikes on the wheels. Note that the spikes on the wheels are actuall soft plastic, as are a couple of the parts in robot mode - we'll get to that shortly though.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/lcz128_photos/Transformers/January2010082_S.jpg

They also bothered to pain the rear brake lights which is a nice touch. No other colours present itself in vehicle mode though - other than the clear orange they've chosen for the headlights, windscreen and windows. Overall, very nice, as you can't see any kibble unless you look at the undercarriage of the car.

Transformation:
Lockdown's transformation is easy enough that you won't need the instructions, but sufficiently complex such that when you've got it all figured out, there's a sense of accomplishment. It's a tricky middle ground that isn't easily found, but I think they did a nice job here. It's not going to take you as long as some of the other movie toys to transform, but neither is it boring or overly simple. Great job, TakaraTomy! :)

Robot Mode:
First thing you'll notice is how tall Lockdown is! He might be a regular sized deluxe, but once transformed, he towers over many other deluxes. I forgot to take a photo, but he simply dwarfs dirge in robot mode (both of which I bought for around the same price in HK - again from hobby shops - not TRU's and the like)
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/lcz128_photos/Transformers/January2010085_S.jpg
I think he really shines in this mode. There's this mech-alive gimmick in his legs where if you rotate him at the knees, the gray sculpted parts in his thighs swivel around with it. Simple yet effective. As you transform his right arm and flip the hook up, there's a piston that moves in. Again, simple yet effective!

I wasn't sure what the 'correct' transformation was for his right arm, so I have the door part rotated as well as not rotated. Please see the pictures. (the back of packaging has it not-rotated, but I found that if so, that extra articulation has no purpose whatsoever.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/lcz128_photos/Transformers/January2010084_S.jpghttp://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/lcz128_photos/Transformers/January2010088_S.jpg

Something else that I really like about Lockdown is his head! It's again, similar to the Animated version, but highly detailed, and it also has a KILLER neckjoint. Awesome! I was initially worried that with all that articulation, it was wasted as his head couldn't turn left to right. WRONG. ;)

As aforementioned, there are a couple of parts that come in the soft plastic - here - his hook and left hand are both moulded in the soft (RUBBERY) plastic. Some will like it, some will hate it. I don't like it, but given the thin and intricate sculpt, I understand the reasoning behind it - it won't snap easily like this. Unfortunately, it's nigh unpaintable with spray paints as I discovered yesterday. (What I'll be doing soon is painting it with acrylics, then going out to spray it with the chrome again)

Overall, I really do like the asthetics of this toy. He has a great assymmetric look to him thanks to the massive hook on his right arm and the differing shoulder armour. Noice.

Articulation is plentiful in this toy, which is always a plus in my book. That said, the way the hook arm is designed, his hook arm only bends about 50 or so degrees. Not quite a full 90 degrees. Unfortunate, but what can you do? Also, there is no articulation in either 'hand' (hook and hand) that allows it to spin. They are perpetually locked in that angle thanks to the transformation. Far from a deal breaker though as Lockdown can still pull off nice poses!

End Note
Well, just to wrap it all up, I have to say that I definitely recommend this toy to both enthusiasts of the Animated line thanks to the GREAT homage, as well as to collectors of the movie line. While he isn't a perfect match for the movie line - (he looks like a cross between classics and movie) he won't look out of place there. Personally, as a classics/henkei collector, I still reckon he'll find a nice home in my decepticon shelf. He's just far enough away from the movie aesthetic to fit in I reckon!

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/lcz128_photos/Transformers/January2010090_S.jpg

And there we have it - ROTF Lockdown(Henkei Rockdown :b)!!! Go get him the second you see him on shelves! :D

{NOTE} Mods, are you able to add a poll to this please? :S I can't seem to do this after the fact! D'oh!

snazzbot 101
24th January 2010, 04:12 PM
Wow, it looks amazing.

I never really picked up on it before in Animated, but the movie detailing make him Pop as a MOTU Trapjaw tribute.

GoktimusPrime
24th January 2010, 04:37 PM
wow nice. I hope this toy comes out here. :)

Grievous
24th January 2010, 10:00 PM
Awesome review of an awesome toy...
:D

I can't wait to add this guy to my collection...
Lockdown is one of my favourite characters and
toys from the Animated series and seeing him
in a live action homage is...well...Awesome!

Gutsman Heavy
24th January 2010, 11:29 PM
give me a movie-verse Lugnut as well and I'll totally loose my sh!t!

Grievous
25th January 2010, 08:16 AM
^I second that...

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/9811/blitzwangandlugnuttersb.jpg

:cool:

liegeprime
25th January 2010, 03:57 PM
daaayyuum,congrats LCZ I missed out buying one as they released it in Phils a day BEFORE my flight. I couldnt be bothered trekking 3 hours back to Greenhills to search for it. It looks really purty and mean at the same time hehehe:D Hope it does get released here....

5FDP
25th January 2010, 06:14 PM
This does look nice, but I made a promise to myself to not buy anymore movie toys (even though he didn't appear in the movie).

On second thoughts, the Animated one looks nicer in my opinion.

i_amtrunks
25th January 2010, 08:26 PM
Once again, the non movie deluxe figures outclass the movie deluxe figures (as in the figures not featured in the movies are better than the figures featured in the movie).

One figure I will definitely be grabbing if it released here.

Autocon
26th January 2010, 02:08 AM
reckon it looks to spikey in car mode, also whats with this i hope it comes out here? it is being released here isnt it?

GoktimusPrime
26th January 2010, 10:26 AM
On second thoughts, the Animated one looks nicer in my opinion.
Yeah but Animated Lockdown has several flaws like limited articulation and the legs pop off if you look at them wrong.

I'm undecided as to whether or not to get this toy. As nice as it looks I've decided to cut down on buying movie-verse toys that don't actually appear in the films... unless the toy happens to appeal to me enough. Meh. I think I'll make my decision once I see this toy for myself IRL.

kup
26th January 2010, 10:39 AM
I don't like his face. Ironically I prefer the head of the Animated one - They should have adapted that into movie as Animated Lockdown had a pretty distinctive head and this one looks somwhat generic.

5FDP
26th January 2010, 03:35 PM
Yeah but Animated Lockdown has several flaws like limited articulation and the legs pop off if you look at them wrong.

LOL... I know what you mean, but the same can be said for most 'modern' Transformers with ball joints. I understand why they do (have them), but would prefer having a figure with limited movement instead of having arms and legs popping off every two seconds.

I don't like his face. Ironically I prefer the head of the Animated one.

Agreed :)

lcz128
26th January 2010, 06:01 PM
woo wow - replies! Cool! :) I am excited seeing discussion about this toy - The excitement has me buzzing too!

Funny you should say that!
One of the 'good' things I really like about this lockdown is that first few times you transform him, you might do just that - ie pop his arms off - BUT once you've figured out where everything goes and how the joints work during transformation, BAM- nothing ever seems to pop out every again :D

So there's the practicality of safety - but once you've learned how to do it right - with the right turns and twists, one can appreciate the engineering behind it too!!! Kinda like Universe Prowl! I thought it was infuriating how his doors kept falling off, but once you learn when to move the doors and how to fold it, BINGO - easy job with no poppin' parts! (That said, the doors fell off waaaaaay more than ROTF Lockdowns balljoints)

I don't like his face. Ironically I prefer the head of the Animated one - They should have adapted that into movie as Animated Lockdown had a pretty distinctive head and this one looks somwhat generic.

I know what you mean about the Animated one having a distinctive one - but this preview art I found of the toy gave me a greater appreciation:
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/lcz128_photos/Transformers/rjr39s.jpg (http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/transformers-rotf-lockdown-design-art/16654/)

And once you see the neck joint in action - damn - that's a nice piece of engineering!

GoktimusPrime
26th January 2010, 08:45 PM
LOL... I know what you mean, but the same can be said for most 'modern' Transformers with ball joints. I understand why they do (have them), but would prefer having a figure with limited movement instead of having arms and legs popping off every two seconds.
Not really. I find most Transformers with ball-and-socket joints hold together reasonably well. Of course they'll pop off if you pull them off, but otherwise they're fairly secure. There were a _few_ Transformers in the mid-90s whose limbs would easily pop off, but they were definitely a minority. The vast majority of ball-socket jointed Transformers were pretty good. I haven't seen a Transformer with such flimsy ball-socket jointed limbs since Basic Optimus Primal, but that toy came out fourteen years ago when ball-socket joints were still a relatively new innovation for Transformers, whereas Animated Lockdown came out in 2008... what's his excuse? :/ At least Bat Primal has 9 points of articulation; Animated Lockdown only has 7 (and yet he's sold at the more expensive Deluxe price point). Bat Primal can bend his knees whereas Lockdown has to walk around with a Nazi goose step! zAMG*!! :p

-----------
*zAch Mein Gott (in Himmel)!!eins!1~

loophole
26th January 2010, 09:07 PM
Nice review Lcz, he looks pretty kick ass!!

any chance of seeing him next to some universe figures to see what he looks like next to them, you know you want to ;)

lcz128
26th January 2010, 11:27 PM
Nice review Lcz, he looks pretty kick ass!!

any chance of seeing him next to some universe figures to see what he looks like next to them, you know you want to ;)
Ask and ye shall receive!!!!

He's a little more henkeified already - so here we go - Henkei Rockdown with (customLoopy) Sideswipe and Henkei Starscream:
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/lcz128_photos/Transformers/HenkeiRockdown_003.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/lcz128_photos/Transformers/HenkeiRockdown_005.jpg

5FDP
27th January 2010, 09:46 AM
I haven't seen a Transformer with such flimsy ball-socket jointed limbs since Basic Optimus Primal, but that toy came out fourteen years ago when ball-socket joints were still a relatively new innovation for Transformers, whereas Animated Lockdown came out in 2008... what's his excuse? :/

What about Classics Galvatron (legs), the hip plate on MP Megs, most of the Cybertron and ROTF legend class toys. There hasn't been much advancement in technology with ball-socket joints aside from the types of plastics used, because they are just a 'ball-in-a-socket'. If your balls are too small for your socket, they are bound to pop out every once and a while ;) Just make sure it doesn't happen in public :D

GoktimusPrime
27th January 2010, 08:25 PM
What about Classics Galvatron (legs), the hip plate on MP Megs, most of the Cybertron and ROTF legend class toys
You're right about those popping off easily (I dunno about the ROTF Legends though, but admittedly I only have a select few; but none of mine suffer from ball jointed limbs that pop off easily), but I find that they're still more of the exception rather than the rule among all the ball jointed Transformers we've had these past 15 years. Secondly none of those are as bad as Animated Lockdown. The examples you've cited are more like the ball-joints on the doors of Universe Prowl -- they pop off easily during transformation, but otherwise remain secure most other times (e.g.: toy play). Animated Lockdown on the otherhand -- I _cannot_ play with this toy without the legs falling off. :( (unless I take really super great care as if it were made from brittle glass, which just takes out a lot of the fun out of playing with toys :/)

There hasn't been much advancement in technology with ball-socket joints aside from the types of plastics used, because they are just a 'ball-in-a-socket'. If your balls are too small for your socket, they are bound to pop out every once and a while
I still find have big enough balls.

Just make sure it doesn't happen in public
look... it was cold okay. :p

loophole
27th January 2010, 08:37 PM
Thanks Lcz you da man!

Vector Sigma 13
27th January 2010, 10:51 PM
I like the earth mode vehicles - I just cant take him seriously.

I know there are probably other ROTF figures that are not true to life. A convincing earth mode is what i like in my Transformers. The majority of my entire Transformer collection have realistic alt modes, with some exceptions of course.

loophole
27th January 2010, 11:01 PM
I like the earth mode vehicles - I just cant take him seriously.

just think of it as Mad Max/Transformer crossover :p then it works really well :D

Stompy
28th January 2010, 02:05 AM
Beautiful! The paint apps are particularly well done on a line which lacks it. I simply can't wait to get my hands on this. His face looks excellent. So too are all the details around his chest.

Vector Sigma 13
28th January 2010, 02:02 PM
just think of it as Mad Max/Transformer crossover :p then it works really well :D

This is true!

Im going to buy either the animated version or this one regardless- I dont hate the mold but i think ill probably get the animated version- maybe:confused:

GoktimusPrime
28th January 2010, 04:39 PM
It's still a better robot in disguise than any of the movie Megatrons! :D

lcz128
6th February 2010, 07:40 PM
Personally this ROTF alt mode is like a soup'edup muscle car that has all these bad ass mods on it. I like it. Even my gf thinks he looks really mean. For a car tf to exude so much personality from just the alt mode I think that's greAt!!

Also here's a link to another persons review that properly showcases the hasbro gray...
http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-feedback/284627-rotf-lockdown.html

I think I am finally beginning to come to terms with the fact that massed produced hasbro toys will never have the paint apps and plastic choices (hasbrogray) I will necessarily like off the bat. Not bad or wrong, just the economics of it all. I will just have to make the toy the way I want it to be. :D

I was looking at that link earlier today and was thinking just how far my own henkei rockdown has come in the past few weeks. :D

Lord_Zed
7th February 2010, 12:20 AM
Contrary to some of the other comments I like this guys face more than Animated Lockdown now that I've seen it.

Your pics make him look good, but I'm not totally convinced, I bought Animated Lockdown and he was a lemon, so now I'm suspicous of all Lockdowns.

lcz128
7th February 2010, 12:41 AM
Contrary to some of the other comments I like this guys face more than Animated Lockdown now that I've seen it.

Your pics make him look good, but I'm not totally convinced, I bought Animated Lockdown and he was a lemon, so now I'm suspicous of all Lockdowns.

I like him muchly and the photos speak for themselves IMO(minus some silverinv up you can see in comparison shots.) that said I don't think I emphasized enough how Awesome his neck joint is... Just awesome!!

loophole
7th February 2010, 10:49 PM
i saw this guy in person today and before i did, i was humming and hurring about getting him but now i have to have him he is a really really cool figure

Stompy
7th February 2010, 11:56 PM
Finally got to fiddly with my own RotF Lockdown and boy oh boy was I not dissapointed. This is one awesome tribute to the Animated version. In fact I think I prefer this Lockdown now.

The vehicle mode is absolutely brilliant mimicing the original with smoother curves and less pronounces proportions to make it more realistic. The paint job (along with the other wave mates and tbh all recent RotF figures) is truly excellent.

The conversion is actually quite different to the Animated version and was awesome to see some asymmetrical conversion for the arms. In short bloody good. Although the shoulders can get tricky to place.

Robot mode pays a perfect homage to the Animated version standing just as tall and lanky as its Animated brethren complete with the headlights as the feet, his hook, and that cobra shaped head. This time round they gave him a hook for the right arm with no hands although it has a nice moving piston for it. The EMP/engine is still present and can be attached on his arm, although i can't see any way to attach it to the new Ratchet. The highlight for me is the head. Lightpiped and is actually 3 separate sections. The head itself is on a double ball joint onto a mid neck piece which is also on a double ball joint on a lower neck piece which is on a rotating joint. Quite simply the best articulated TF head I've had the pleasure of handling. The finer details on the sculpt helps bring out detail on his arms thighs and neck. If there's a downer, it has to be the arm kibble. its not major but the side windscreen and door is just there. Also, while the legs have really good articulation the arms have very little. Which is the opposite to the animated version.

Overall this is definately moved to my top figure of any line. Although I do have a lsight bias snce Lockdown is my fave TF figure ever. But this is one impressive figure. Both engineering and asthetically. Whoever thought of making a RotF version of him ought to be commended coz you sir/madam deserve all the cookies in the world!

jaydisc
14th February 2010, 12:28 PM
I got Brawn and Lockdown yesterday. Lockdown is cool, but overshadowed by Brawn. I had a real hard time with the first transformation of his left arm (shit popping off everywhere), even with the terrible instructions, but after a few passes, nothing pops off any more (analogous to Henkei Prowl once I learned it). I had similar issue with one of Brawn's thighs popping off when rotating the waist as part of the transformation, but I worked that out as well now too. In your pics LCZ, it seems you don't have the right shoulder transformed correctly. It should poke out like the Animated's version does. Lockdown's neck is definitely a standout. I also like the way the feet slide out and flipped up, but otherwise, the transformation was a bit simple (big leg flip-out) or annoying (the arms still annoy me). His design naturally requires Hasbro to use soft plastic in a lot of areas which is a bit weird, although not a problem.

However, Lockdown is still plagued with an identity crisis. He doesn't really know who he is or where he goes. While observing my three new toys (Battlefield BB as well), I was wondering how to handle them. I figured that Battlefield BB would replace my other original '08 Deluxe BB in my movie display, and Brawn can hang out in alt mode along with Landmine, Stockade and Longarm as alt-mode-cast-members, but Lockdown, I got no place for. I thought about the idea of a NEST display, running out and re-acquiring Dirge (I returned him), in addition to the new Ironhide and others, but I think that's quite a departure from my new core-only ideals. As a result, I'll likely not keep him.

Doubledealer
14th February 2010, 04:47 PM
Best deluxe since Universe/Henkei Cyclonus for me. Essential purchase!

5FDP
15th February 2010, 08:20 AM
However, Lockdown is still plagued with an identity crisis. He doesn't really know who he is or where he goes.

And this is the exact reason why I will be passing on him. I base a lot of my collecting on available fiction and characterisation. If there is none, it's just a soulless piece of plastic to me.

Doubledealer
15th February 2010, 03:32 PM
And this is the exact reason why I will be passing on him. I base a lot of my collecting on available fiction and characterisation. If there is none, it's just a soulless piece of plastic to me.

I like to think of this new mould as a kind of 'Masterpiece Lockdown'. He's takes the original design and adds more detail, better articulation (well, apart from the arms) and just makes him more believable overall. I can see how people have a problem not knowing where to place him on their shelves but think he's still well worth owning - I sit him on top of my TFA display cabinet as my gatekeeper, the light-piping in full effect thanks to a close-by ceiling light. :D

Grievous
19th February 2010, 08:21 PM
Okay...so I finally have Lockdown...and he doesn't disappoint.

I would have to say he's my favourite ROTF figure and would
also be in my top 5 Transformers ever.

Animated Lockdown was fantastic...but this Movie-verse Lockdown
is taller, creepier and just all round more ugly...which really does it
for me.

I know it will never happen...but I would love too see Lockdown
in the third live action film...even if only a small cameo.

10 Out Of 10...Buy it...All Hail Lockdown!

Kyle
20th February 2010, 10:47 AM
At first I thought he had a tiny head on a long neck and his arms and legs were too long and skiny. Also the vehicle mode with all the giant spikes still looked too cartoony.

He has exceeded my expectations. His neck alone has 4 joints, it is so poseable and virtually telescopic. The problem of his long neck is solved when I push his head down instead of extending the neck. The legs too look great when not extended. He looks GREAT in robot mode next to my movie bots or Classic/Henkei figures.

Kyle
20th February 2010, 11:03 AM
http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee16/Kyle_Chow/Toy%20Review%2015%20Feb%202010/6902346a.jpg
http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee16/Kyle_Chow/Toy%20Review%2015%20Feb%202010/e851f280.jpg

Grievous
20th February 2010, 02:21 PM
I display Lockdown with his neck and legs fully extended...

http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/1907/lockdowns.jpg

Meet Lanky and Creepy!
;)

5FDP
20th February 2010, 09:39 PM
I would have to say he's my favourite ROTF figure and would
also be in my top 5 Transformers ever.

Top 5 ever?? Surely you can't be serious :eek:

Grievous
20th February 2010, 11:12 PM
^Well...I kinda am...but I guess I should put my statement into proper context.

I'm kinda new to collecting Transformers and I only own about 120 of them...
So I haven't really seen as many toys as the rest of the members here.

If I had to give my Top 5 Favourite Transformers as of this moment...
the list would be...

1~ Animated Longarm/Shockwave (Longarm colours)
2~ Universe Cyclonus
3~ G1 Kickback
4~ Animated Blurr
5~ Revenge Of The Fallen Lockdown

And I'd have to say there would a 6th place tie between
Animated Lockdown & Galaxy Force Starscream

So yeah...I am serious...
;)

Doubledealer
21st February 2010, 01:49 AM
I'm not one for 'top whatever' lists but ROTF Lockdown is definitely a favourite amongst my collection and like Grievous alludes to he's up there with TFA Blurr and Henkei/Classics Cyclonus in terms of overall quality. He's pure badass! A massive improvement over the TFA toy and totally worth the $25 asking price. :)

Autocon
21st February 2010, 02:45 AM
need a new one. Theres a washout of green paint over the black of the bonnet.:mad::( should have given this one to tets:p

feels flimsy because it is rubbery in places. Some decals could have been left off too spikey. Love the head. Besides that a great tf for the collection

Tetsuwan Convoy
26th February 2010, 03:02 PM
The EMP/engine is still present and can be attached on his arm, although i can't see any way to attach it to the new Ratchet.

The only way I have discovered to attach it to Ratchet is by sticking it on his roof whilst in vehicle mode. Doesn't look all that fab... You can stick ratchets gun onto lockdowns arm, but I have found the handle of the gun gets in the way and you have to have Lockdown's arm bent as much as possible at his elbow. Again, doesn't look so fab..

need a new one. Theres a washout of green paint over the black of the bonnet.:mad::( should have given this one to tets:p

OI!:eek:

Gotta say that I like this Lockdown. Its an almost perfect interpretation of his animated form into movie aesthetics. The abundance of neck movement really surpised me and his balance is so good he can work in the Ministry of Funny Walks!:D
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k313/Wootnchoo/ldwalkys.jpg

Stompy
28th February 2010, 09:17 PM
TC: yeah i was just slightly dissapointed with that since they went all the way with the Animated history bio on the back of the card, they could have made just a simple slot for it. But ah well.

For those curious. Here is the two lockdowns in bot mode side by side:

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk269/StompBrother/LockdownComparison.jpg

Pretty much the same height. Hand isn't "crooked" anymore although I posed the RotF one crooked.