PDA

View Full Version : IDW's Last Stand of the Wreckers

i_amtrunks
26th January 2010, 04:00 PM
Written, and illustrated by the talented Nick Roche.
Issue #1 is due out on the 27th of January (give or take a day or two), with a five page preview at Comic Book Resources (http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=preview&id=4311&disp=table).

Colour me impressed, and not just because of the inclusion of the Predator Jets. Can't wait to get my paws on the entire issue.

Sleeve
26th January 2010, 04:24 PM
Written, and illustrated by the talented Nick Roche.
Issue #1 is due out on the 27th of January (give or take a day or two), with a five page preview at Comic Book Resources (http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=preview&id=4311&disp=table).

Colour me impressed, and not just because of the inclusion of the Predator Jets. Can't wait to get my paws on the entire issue.

As soon as I saw Skyquake and the Predator jets in the pages they released a while back, I knew surely Stalker would turn up. WOOHOO! And Rotorstorm too! Very much looking forward to reading this.

Sky Shadow
26th January 2010, 04:37 PM
Well... that was awesome. Five pages in and Overlord is already the most interesting bad guy in ten years.

Last Stand Of The Wreckers? "I think I'm going to like it". ;)

i_amtrunks
26th January 2010, 06:56 PM
Well... that was awesome. Five pages in and Overlord is already the most interesting bad guy in ten years.

Last Stand Of The Wreckers? "I think I'm going to like it". ;)

Personally I love how easily he takes out Skyquake, then Fortress Maximus. Can't wait to find out what his plans for Garrus 9 are/were.

Art is beautiful too, very easy to tell who is who.

kup
26th January 2010, 07:48 PM

Before Bayformers the above was never a factor but now it seems like a luxury :p

Sleeve
27th January 2010, 10:06 AM
Before Bayformers the above was never a factor but now it seems like a luxury :p

:D

liegeprime
27th January 2010, 10:10 AM
Ill wait for the TPB. I dont like to read cliffhangers :D

kup
27th January 2010, 05:59 PM
Overlord is mean. He took advantage of Skyquake's Gold plastic syndrome.

i_amtrunks
28th January 2010, 04:06 PM
Some linkies for you all:
Facebook Page (http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=449292675570&ref=share)
Hutch's Wreckers Logo (http://trevhutch.deviantart.com/art/Wreckers-logo-151888854) (from the awesome Trevor Hutchison)

Cant wait to get this issue!

Sky Shadow
30th January 2010, 12:23 PM
As expected, this was good. It's a shame we'd already read the first five pages, as it somewhat diminishes the reading experience that those awesome pages weren't 'new'. The new Wreckers are great, particularly Ironfist, who's an online Wreckers fanboy (and there's also what is possibly an in-joke about Twin-Twist and Topspin's confused Tech Specs mixup in the eighties. And the Autobots have their own wiki [Autopedia], too.) Kick-Off lives up to his Tech-Specs bio and may or may not already be an Action Master, which is interesting. I'm looking forward to finding out exactly what his 'reward' was (that is, I'm hoping it's completely unrelated to the final page of the book.) At this point it's not clear that Verity is necessary for the story, but at least she's not AHM Spike. There are also a few Furmanesque/fan/made-up/generic Transformers, which is weird - since they had no problem killing Skyquake in this issue, why do they need to kill Wingblazer and Borehole instead of some other Euro exclusives? The art is great, although the changes in inker are jarring - it goes back and forth from Roche and Wycough through the issue.

Still, bring on issue #2!

JustOwen
30th January 2010, 01:45 PM
Can't wait for issue 2

Actually IDW should consider giving the wreckers an ongoing series. Maybe even naming them as Wreckers war journals/Classified data.

I would prefer IDW doing more stories about the status quo around the universe than just focusing on Earth

i_amtrunks
30th January 2010, 05:43 PM
Best comic in over 18 months.

Well written with a great blend of serious and one liners, some good characters (helps that the best Kup stuff is ALL Roche), and art that easily lets you recognize who is who throughout the entire issue without relying on little character name bubbles.

Art might not be as detailed as others but it works for the story and Roche style allows for the expressions he needs to help give his characters...well character.

Nice setup issue, with a few nice "I wonder where this is going?" points at the end of the issue.

Cant wait another four weeks for issue #2.

Lord_Zed
31st January 2010, 09:10 PM
Comic is looking good, set in the previous IDW verse before it rebooted I see. Too bad about Sky Quake, he got offed quick just like Clench, those European exclusive Transformers always get the short end of the stick.

Originally Posted by i_amtrunks View Post

Well yeah, except when the Marvel comic ocasionly miscoloured the seekers, oh and the casettes, and Prowl and Bluestreak, Ironhide, Ratchet, Brawn, Sizzle, Fizzle etc. :D

kup
2nd February 2010, 10:01 AM
Looks like Impactor will be making a return! :D

http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/idws-transformers-last-stand-of-the-wreckers-1-going-to-2nd-printing/17773/

SMHFConvoy
2nd February 2010, 12:04 PM
I'm don't know much about the Wreckers (They seem to be a TF UK creation...) but I liked this issue. The tech spec at the back brought back memories of the old Marvel comics :)

I'm going to look up Wreckers in the TF wiki now.

Sky Shadow
2nd February 2010, 02:12 PM

http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/idws-transformers-last-stand-of-the-wreckers-1-going-to-2nd-printing/17773/

Count on IDW to spoil their own comic with its front cover. <Is there a 'shakes head' emoticon?>

i_amtrunks
2nd February 2010, 04:05 PM
The variant cover is just enlarged art from the final page of the comic, sans background... Having another alt cover will help sales, all the comic completionists will have to get a third issue!

Still nice to hear that Wreckers #1 has a second printing, hopefully the numbers will stay up for the series to show IDW what type of series the fans prefer.

liegeprime
3rd February 2010, 12:00 AM

Evrytime I hear that name I think constipation hehehhe:D. Is LSoTW a limited series? Im hoping to just wait for the TPB...

AussieJason
5th February 2010, 01:55 PM

This is one of the reasons I really liked the UK comic as a kid, characters like Impactor, Xaaron and the storylines involving them. So much better than the US comic in my opinion.

I haven't bought a comic in years, but I may pick these issues up.

GoktimusPrime
6th February 2010, 09:07 AM
At first I was puzzled by Overlord's persona, being so different from what we saw in Super-God Masterforce. Yes I know it's a different universe, but the Transformers are still in-character with their core personality types (just existing in a different reality). But then I realised -- this is Hasbro's Overlord, not Takara's!! He lives up to his Hasbro tech specs bio (http://www.tfu.info/1988/Destron/Overlord/overlord.htm) quite well! :D

Now that is pretty frik-kin' sweet. :)

GoktimusPrime
7th February 2010, 12:58 PM
P.S.: Verity is HAWT! :D

Also, after getting ROTF Bludgeon yesterday I started thinking... I'd like to see the Decepticon Mayhem Attack Squad come into the IDW-verse and give the Wreckers a run for their money! ;)

Blink90210
9th February 2010, 06:17 PM
P.S.: Verity is HAWT! :D
Also, after getting ROTF Bludgeon yesterday I started thinking... I'd like to see the Decepticon Mayhem Attack Squad come into the IDW-verse and give the Wreckers a run for their money! ;)

I was wondering when someone would bring that up! So I read it two days ago (I know, I'm so behind) and best Transformers book in ages (not sure if I can say it is better than the Kup or Prowl spotlights). Will we see Fort Max again? What's Impactor gonna do now? Great start to the series.

SMHFConvoy
12th February 2010, 08:44 PM
Overlord reminds me of Robbie Williams, the way Roche writes him is almost like he's an entertainer or performance artist instead of harbinger of death.

kup
12th February 2010, 08:56 PM
Almost bought an Overlord today for $420 but was outbidded :(

i_amtrunks
18th February 2010, 12:25 PM
IDW's May solicitation for Wreckers #5 indicates that this series is gonna get messy!

I wonder if issue #2 will need reprinting too?

Lord_Zed
19th February 2010, 01:34 PM
IDW's May solicitation for Wreckers #5 indicates that this series is gonna get messy!

I wonder if issue #2 will need reprinting too?

I hope that doesn't just mean were going to off the new guys, cause that would be far to predictable.

kup
19th February 2010, 02:34 PM
I hope that doesn't just mean were going to off the new guys, cause that would be far to predictable.

Don't worry, we'll know soon enough. I am sure IDW will send us the spoiler well before the issue is released :p

i_amtrunks
19th February 2010, 02:55 PM

I'm wondering if Roche will do something a little unpredictable, maybe by killing more than the Euro exclusive characters?
But I wouldn't be surprised if characters are killed in the order of their profiles being shown in the back of the issues! :p

kup
19th February 2010, 03:15 PM
I'm wondering if Roche will do something a little unpredictable, maybe by killing more than the Euro exclusive characters?
But I wouldn't be surprised if characters are killed in the order of their profiles being shown in the back of the issues! :p

That would be bad. Rotorstorm's character seems rather promising.

Paulbot
19th February 2010, 06:52 PM
The art in the second issue is a bit poorer than in the first one. There's something about the colouring that's a bit drab too, nice aging effects though.

This fan-pleasing references in the book are almost over the top, but they don't get in the way of the story and make me smile.

No bio page this issue though :(

SMHFConvoy
20th February 2010, 08:15 PM
different inker. Roche only did the pencils.

GoktimusPrime
24th February 2010, 09:32 AM
Yup. It's amazing what a difference a change in inker can do, like Stephen Baskerville, who had a penchant for making Andrew Wildman's art look all wet and slimey!

Sky Shadow
24th February 2010, 10:22 AM
Yup. It's amazing what a difference a change in inker can do, like Stephen Baskerville, who had a penchant for making Andrew Wildman's art look all wet and slimey!

In a good way. :p

Deceptic_Optic
9th March 2010, 11:23 AM
Well i was absolutely hooked during the awareness week, beautiful art work and a very interesting story line and believe it or not this is the first transformer comic book that i have red :) and it is full of awesome sauce in it! :D *dang* and i thought that was it for my collection the missis wont be happy :p

GoktimusPrime
9th March 2010, 11:39 AM
During the 2007 movie Premiere at Fox Studios in Sydney they were giving away free movie tickets and dirge and I started repeatedly shouting "WRECK AND RULE!" at the top of our lungs. We got the MC's attention and scored free tickets (so we got to see Transformers the first two times for free :D)

YAAARGH! (^O^)

Lord_Zed
9th March 2010, 01:21 PM
The art in the second issue is a bit poorer than in the first one. There's something about the colouring that's a bit drab too, nice aging effects though.

I noticed this too, but it's still some of the better art I've seen in a TF comic for a few years.

But what's with Verity's facial expresions? Particularly in the panel where she is shocked by Kup's Overlord tale, she looks freaky!!!!!!:eek:

Tommy K
9th March 2010, 01:49 PM
even though i have only seen art for the comics ( getting the trade paperback for this one) ive come to the conclusion that this guys art is probably one of my favs lol

GoktimusPrime
10th March 2010, 09:21 AM
But what's with Verity's facial expresions? Particularly in the panel where she is shocked by Kup's Overlord tale, she looks freaky!!!!!!:eek:

Kup farted a parachute off panel.

Damn you Michael Bay!!! :p :p

i_amtrunks
17th March 2010, 06:16 PM
A second setup issue with some meat in it.

This should have been given a 12 series maxi run instead of AHM, so many smaller plot points and injokes could be used or expanded on.

Cant wait for the final three issues, aequitas and Snare are two things I hope get somewhat revelaed or resolved in the miniseries (or hell some Wreckers based Spotlights would not be a bad thing).

So who is to be the first Wrecker taken down?

i_amtrunks
24th March 2010, 11:23 AM
Preview for Issue #3 is up (http://issuu.com/denton.tipton/docs/tf_wreckers03_final?mode=a_p)

Shows the preview pages already released (featuring Shockwave) and a few new pages.

Rotorstorm is awesomesauce. And likely to be the first one killed. Just freaking awesomesauce.

Deceptic_Optic
24th March 2010, 11:44 AM
im excited and i cant wait :D:D:D phantom zone and kings said they should have it by tommorow

Sky Shadow
24th March 2010, 01:24 PM
Rotorstorm is awesomesauce. And likely to be the first one killed. Just freaking awesomesauce.

Ha ha! (I LOLed loudly at that last page.)

GoktimusPrime
25th March 2010, 05:01 PM
Please don't quote masked spoilers as it shows up in the quotation box. :(

1orion2many
25th March 2010, 06:20 PM

I don't think it was really a spoiler Gok just a guess;)

Deceptic_Optic
25th March 2010, 06:27 PM
lol....it was already a hint on 1 and 2

i_amtrunks
25th March 2010, 08:37 PM

Rest easy Gok, as Orion pointed out, not a spoiler, just a half-educated guess, the character that gets the great lines is often the first to die!

In death related news, Jurassic Park is getting the comic treatment from IDW...should be...interesting.

Lord_Zed
26th March 2010, 01:56 AM
Got a hold of LSOTW today, pretty damn good I have to admit.

Spoilerage: Well Trunks sure guessed right with Rotorstorm (I thought it would be the simplistic Guzzle), to bad eh he was kinda cool, I wouldn't say awesome as we hardly new him, but he did have that whole badass thing going, while still having weakness unlike certain other characters. Nevertheless his death served the story well enough. My favorite part was the ending with Stalker and Twintwist. I'm interested to get the next issue now, seeing as how the end suggests they may actually off big name Wreckers, therefore creating some suspense. My only real criticism of Wreckers is up until the last panel of issue 3 I've only felt suspense when the second string Wreckers were in jeopardy

Not actually a spoiler: So what's next Guzzle takes a round to the head meant for Kup?

Paulbot
26th March 2010, 10:25 AM
I still don't quite like the colouring in this series as a whole. The scenes on Garrus-9 are meant to be quite disturbing but the colouring doesn't add to this feeling. Pink blood from a Transformer for instance doesn't look good. The random technicolour Decepticons (while G1.5 accurate) don't help.

The drawings are quite nice though, the genericons have good designs, the violence and damage is well sold, but there were a few parts where the storytelling wasn't clear (Guzzle transforming back and forth from tank mode) or out of order with the text (Springer tells Twin Twist to transform to robot mode after he's already in robot mode by the reading flow).

I liked that Maximus isn't quite dead yet, he may need a new head though ;) and the cliffhanger of what's behind the door has me hanging!

There were no Wrecker profiles included though. Wasn't there supposed to be one this issue?

i_amtrunks
26th March 2010, 10:34 AM
There were no Wrecker profiles included though. Wasn't there supposed to be one this issue?

I thought there were meant to be two?

Paulbot
26th March 2010, 10:35 AM
I thought there were meant to be two?

Guess we have to wait for the trade :(

GoktimusPrime
26th March 2010, 12:13 PM
spoilers ahoy

Nice prediction there trunks! Wanna give me the winning numbers for this w/e's $20M lotto? :p (jkz)

Thoughts:

+ I liked the moment of awkward humour with Rotorstorm's "Wreckers Combine!" -- although I personally would have preferred "Wreckers Unite!"
+ The relationship between the Jumpstarters is kinda... interesting. So I guess next issue might start with Topspin writhing in pain
+ Guzzle talking to Kup about his rescue and about how some Autobots feel about it - but of course without revealing too much detail to Kup. I wanna see Kup discover the truth one day. ;)
+ Seeing Ironfist freak out and Topspin giving him a hard reality slap wake up call. Nice. Reminds me of people who practice competitive-sports martial arts who refuse to acknowledge the harsh, brutal and cruel nature of actual combat. :D
+ AAAARGH! Freakin' cliffhanger ending! Who is Aequitas?? Let's play a guessing game... just to be on the safe side perhaps we should spoiler tag any guesses in case they turn out to be right. :) I personally have no idea! The suspense! The thrills!

i_amtrunks
26th March 2010, 04:53 PM
+ AAAARGH! Freakin' cliffhanger ending! Who is Aequitas?? Let's play a guessing game... just to be on the safe side perhaps we should spoiler tag any guesses in case they turn out to be right. :) I personally have no idea! The suspense! The thrills!

Who? And here I was thinking all this time it was a what....

GoktimusPrime
26th March 2010, 06:19 PM
I'd just assumed... it could very well be a what. :)

Sky Shadow
26th March 2010, 10:46 PM
Who? And here I was thinking all this time it was a what....

I'd just assumed... it could very well be a what. :)

I'm pretty sure it's a who unless the Wreckers themselves have got it wrong - Topspin and Pyro at least think they're rescuing a Transformer known as Aequitas. And if so, it's either someone big or on a very high shelf. :p

Fantastic issue. This is Transformers comics as they're meant to be.

Gutsman Heavy
27th March 2010, 02:17 PM
Poor Rotorstorm! At least he went out with a bang, in every possible meaning of the word! :)

GoktimusPrime
27th March 2010, 04:44 PM
it occurs to me...

Rotorstorm was a member of the new Wreckers. Rotorstorm was later repainted as Machine Wars Sandstorm. Sandstorm was a member of the G1 Wreckers. So was Rotorstorm deliberately chosen by IDW for this reason or is it all a coinkidink??

SMHFConvoy
27th March 2010, 08:47 PM
it occurs to me...

Rotorstorm was a member of the new Wreckers. Rotorstorm was later repainted as Machine Wars Sandstorm. Sandstorm was a member of the G1 Wreckers. So was Rotorstorm deliberately chosen by IDW for this reason or is it all a coinkidink??
Well I'd put it more down to Nick Roche than IDW. So coincidence? I say no.

SharkyMcShark
29th March 2010, 06:39 PM
Well I read the first three issues today. As a one off miniseries it's really quite enjoyable if quite thin on the ground for plot and characterisation.

kup
6th April 2010, 02:08 AM
Well I read the first three issues today. As a one off miniseries it's really quite enjoyable if quite thin on the ground for plot and characterisation.

I don't think its thin in any of those points. It's the best TF story in many years! As mentioned, despite Rotorstorm having such a 'short' life, we did get to know him enough to feel the shock so the writer is doing his job.

Roche is a skilled writer - He know how to push the right buttons to move the story along and keep your interest.

bruticus
6th April 2010, 03:47 AM
its quite a shocking series to read.
i didnt expect to see that much killing.
poor fort max...didn't stand a chance.

damn cliff hangers!!! i wanna know what happens next!!!

its a good thing i already own a G1 overlord cos i suspect the popularity of this comic will further inflate his value making him much harder to acquire. similar with what happened to monstructor. - just a theory.

GoktimusPrime
6th April 2010, 09:28 AM
its quite a shocking series to read.
i didnt expect to see that much killing.
Really? Random mass killings happened a lot in the G1 Marvel comics. It was a great way for Hasbro to remove toys that were no longer currently on sale from continuity and clear way for new toys to take the spotlight. :) Underbase Saga anyone?

"Oh noes~1!! I'm a 1985 figure, I don't stand a chance in this fight!" :p

Although Fort Max's maiming was particularly disturbing. At least I read it as an adult this time... seeing Straxus rip off Scrounge's arm or Galvatron ripping Fort Max's circuits out with his teeth as a kid freaked me out. :p It's amazing the amount of violence they can get away with in Transformers cos they're robots! Just look at Waspinator! If that happened in any other cartoon (like say, South Park) it'd be rated M! :D

its a good thing i already own a G1 overlord cos i suspect the popularity of this comic will further inflate his value making him much harder to acquire. similar with what happened to monstructor.
Wouldn't surprise me. Just as well Overlord's not on my priority wants list! I think it's interesting how this Overlord (persona) is actually Hasbro's Overlord and not Takara's. AFAIK Hasbro's Overlord has never had a canonical appearance before.

Deceptic_Optic
6th April 2010, 12:22 PM
so who does everyone thinks is going with a bang next? :D

Gutsman Heavy
6th April 2010, 02:02 PM
I can't see Pyro living much longer, he'll do a Prime and sacrifice himself. I'll blame Hot Rod too :D

kup
6th April 2010, 02:10 PM
I can't see Pyro living much longer, he'll do a Prime and sacrifice himself. I'll blame Hot Rod too :D

I read Issue 3 last night before going to bed and I had a dream: It was about the Aequitas actually being Ginrai armor with God/Apex Bomber and Pyro combining with it as Prime/Ginrai would have to save the day :)

bruticus
6th April 2010, 02:26 PM
Really? Random mass killings happened a lot in the G1 Marvel comics.

Yep...seeing pointblank headshots and blood/hydraulics splatter is new to me. but then again, i havent read as much comics compared to you guys...

Fort max being maimed is deeply disturbing, mainly due to my personal fondness for the character/toy.

i_amtrunks
6th April 2010, 08:10 PM
Guzzle will be the next to go.

He's gotten the most "gung-ho" pagetime since Rotorstorm's death. :p

This is what IDW should be giving every single one of their current and future writers to indicate the kind of well written work they want in the future (pacing, character development and continuity wise at least.)

This and Maximum Dinobots almost make up for AHM and LSotW is far more interesting than the ongoing.

liegeprime
6th April 2010, 10:35 PM
Guzzle will be the next to go.

So is this more like a Hurt and Heal game we have hehehhe :Dwithout the heal part.
Last stand is a limited series yeah? Coz I havent bought a single copy coz as far as IDW trends are concerned they're sure to release a copiled TPB , yeah?

Sky Shadow
7th April 2010, 07:04 AM
Now I think about it - from its Latin meaning and mythology and symbolism, it would make sense if Aequitas was Rack'n'Ruin.

kup
7th April 2010, 09:44 AM
Now I think about it - from its Latin meaning and mythology and symbolism, it would make sense if Aequitas was .

I had a similar thought but the meaning of the name is still vague enough to possibly be something else. They are also in a big chamber looking up as if they are looking at something big or high up.

Sky Shadow
7th April 2010, 10:05 AM
I had a similar thought but the meaning of the name is still vague enough to possibly be something else. They are also in a big chamber looking up as if they are looking at something big or high up.

I'd considered that, but we don't necessarily know how big certain characters are in the IDWverse though. Plus the whole thing could be a parody of looking up in dull surprise as a cliffhanger only to discover next issue that it's someone ironically small flying around or on a high ledge. :)

GoktimusPrime
7th April 2010, 11:02 AM
Hey Sky Shadow, would you be able to lend your knowledge of Latin in helping to answer my Latin queries here (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=2648&page=9)? Thanks. :)

bruticus
7th April 2010, 12:07 PM
I still reckon that Aequitas is a person and not a thing.
Garrus-9 is afterall a prison. High security "items" are not usually stored in a prison.
but meh... im just rambling out loud and could be completely wrong.

Gutsman Heavy
7th April 2010, 01:46 PM
Aequitas is Drift!

kup
7th April 2010, 02:14 PM
Aequitas is Drift!

If McCarthy does the next issue he could be :)

GoktimusPrime
7th April 2010, 03:09 PM
Impossible... there's no way Drift would allow himself to be locked up in some dungeon. Unless he _wanted_ to be there... it must be part of his brilliant plan, that's too awesome for us mortals to comprehend! Or maybe he just wants to render kup's sig pic irrelevant!

Clearly his mind is as sharp as his blades!

Lord_Zed
7th April 2010, 05:19 PM
Really? Random mass killings happened a lot in the G1 Marvel comics. It was a great way for Hasbro to remove toys that were no longer currently on sale from continuity and clear way for new toys to take the spotlight. :) Underbase Saga anyone?

"Oh noes~1!! I'm a 1985 figure, I don't stand a chance in this fight!" :p

Except in modern TF comics, it's "Oh noes I'm not a 1985 figure, I'm prolly in this comic so I can be killed off" :p

Death to the 85's!!!!!!!

Spinesoup
17th April 2010, 09:59 AM
I'm picking it's the spark-stripped carcass of some massive 'bot that'll become the new home to Fort Max's now comatose spark.
Sets up a nice Fort Max prison break/revenge against Overlord later in the series.

SharkyMcShark
18th April 2010, 05:00 AM
Is anyone else feeling the Movie Big Daddy as Impactor connection? They look remarkably similar.

GoktimusPrime
18th April 2010, 08:46 AM
Erm, nope... don't see it. Big Daddy looks more like Cybertron Downshift who looks more like Wheeljack (heh ;))

IMO the toy with the closest resemblance to Impactor is G2 Hero Megatron.

SharkyMcShark
18th April 2010, 03:56 PM
http://tfwiki.net/w2/images2/0/04/LastStandoftheWreckers1-Impactor_post_boom.jpg

http://tfwiki.net/w2/images2/b/b3/Movie_BigDaddy_toy.jpg

:confused: Maybe I'm just going crazy

GoktimusPrime
18th April 2010, 10:34 PM
IMO Hero Megatron (http://tfu.info/1994/Decepticon/Megatron/megatron.htm) is the closest match, both in robot and alt mode.

kup
19th April 2010, 11:44 AM
I can see where Sharky is coming from. There are similarities but I think its unintentional.

Personally, I think that Impactor also has a similar but more proportioned look to Titanium Prowl.

http://www.dvandom.com/images/wwiprowlpistol.JPG

i_amtrunks
20th April 2010, 10:16 AM
5 Page preview for issue #4 is up, and warning, there be spoilers:

http://www.bzzurkk.com/content.php/421-Transformers-Prowl-and-Wreckers-Previews

Loving the alternative Hutchison covers.

Sky Shadow
20th April 2010, 11:33 AM
5 Page preview for issue #4 is up, and warning, there be spoilers:

You're right! (Well as spoilery as the first few pages of the next issue of a comic can be anyway.) And you were right about something else too!

In other news, I love Roche's manipulative Prowl - this (and the last thing Roche did with him) is the best characterisation that guy's received since Marvel US G1 #76-80.

i_amtrunks
20th April 2010, 01:43 PM
You're right! (Well as spoilery as the first few pages of the next issue of a comic can be anyway.) And you were right about something else too!
Need to show that to the missus! :p

In other news, I love Roche's manipulative Prowl - this (and the last thing Roche did with him) is the best characterisation that guy's received since Marvel US G1 #76-80.

I agree, but all Roche's work seems to be for nothing, if what Zed and I think is going on in his Spotlight issue.

Sky Shadow
23rd April 2010, 01:33 PM
Re #4:

---

vague...

and...

nonspecific...

spoilers...

below...

---

Macabre, Fang, Earthquake, Tornado, Triton, Ferak and Crosscut and the Target: 2006 era Wreckers. Ironfist is a legend, as is his profile - “The Wreckers’ Lightning Strike”. LOL. This series takes everything nostalgic about UK Transformers media and mainlines it straight into our eyeballs. In related news, I now own this piece of original art:

http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/973/lsotw.jpg

SharkyMcShark
23rd April 2010, 02:34 PM
As much as I was a critic of the first three issues the current one is absolutely amazing. Love it, and will be buying several of the TPBs for friends and the like whenever it comes out.

Paulbot
23rd April 2010, 02:40 PM
Didn't someone ask about spoilers a new Mayhem Attack Squad? Looks like we got one! :cool:

Deceptic_Optic
23rd April 2010, 02:41 PM
lucky for you guys shipment for KINGS still hasnt arrived :( im so like impatient to buy issue 4 :mad:

i_amtrunks
23rd April 2010, 06:14 PM
I now own this piece of original art:

http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/973/lsotw.jpg

You lucky son of a duck.

Cant wait to get my hands on the next issue, some good stuff seems to be setup in this issue.

So largescale massacre in issue #5? :D

i_amtrunks
30th April 2010, 03:16 PM
Why cant Roche have a larger contribution to IDW TF comics?

Everything in issue #4 was just... right. It all ties in together with what we have been told by other writers, and Roche's version of Prowl is far more interesting than the drivel we got in Spotlight Prowl.

Even Verity is less annoying in Wreckers!

SilverDragon
1st May 2010, 04:18 PM
And just when I though no-one could out-fanwank the Animated Allspark Almanac, along comes LSOW #4 and Squadron X.

Sky Shadow
1st May 2010, 04:29 PM
And just when I though no-one could out-fanwank the Animated Allspark Almanac, along comes LSOW #4 and Squadron X.

It's not fanwank - it's fantenderlymakinglovewiththeloveofyourlife. (Or a full-on fanorgy - whatever one prefers.) :p

Blink90210
2nd May 2010, 05:31 PM
I've got nothing really meaningful to contribute but I'm really digging LSOW. Ongoing Mission is slowly getting better (largely due to the fact that there's gonna be some more action), but I'm also hoping Roche gets to contribute more to the IDW-verse.

SilverDragon
19th June 2010, 02:25 PM
Got 5 yesterday. Holy crap. It is oh so very good. It doesn't pull any punches-in fact, it more than lives up to the series' theme of people dying in stupid pointless ways.

Although I do wonder whether anything'll conflict with the ongoing, given how Prowl seems to be more of a jerk in the very end of this than in his Spotlight. If this does build up to something in ongoing, then hell yeah.

kup
19th June 2010, 02:34 PM
Got 5 yesterday. Holy crap. It is oh so very good. It doesn't pull any punches-in fact, it more than lives up to the series' theme of people dying in stupid pointless ways.

Although I do wonder whether anything'll conflict with the ongoing, given how Prowl seems to be more of a jerk in the very end of this than in his Spotlight. If this does build up to something in ongoing, then hell yeah.

I think IDW is composed of different microcontinuities depending on who is writing.

FFN
19th June 2010, 03:17 PM
I wish Roche and Roberts could write an IDW-specific series of profile books.

But knowing IDW, they'd just assign it to whichever random writer they currently have on their "main book", and we'd get things like Drift Is Awesome And Japanese and Prowl Loves Humans.

SharkyMcShark
19th June 2010, 04:29 PM
I think IDW is composed of different microcontinuities depending on who is writing.

It's all in the same (poorly put together) continuity.

kup
19th June 2010, 05:51 PM
It's all in the same (poorly put together) continuity.

I know but the 'micro-continuity' factor is still present.

Look at McCarthy's Blurr when compared to the Bumblebee comic Blurr - Radically different interpretations of the character within the same comic series.

The same thing goes with Hotrod and others.

i_amtrunks
21st June 2010, 04:42 PM
To be honest we have had three Prowls, although I (personally) feel that Roche's take on Prowl is far more inline with what we see in the Furman penned stories.

It amazes me that IDW dont let Roche take more control, he has done more in a single 12 page one shot for Prowl than all his other appearances prior. Spotlight Kup is easily the best single issue TF story IDW has released, and Wreckers the best 5 parter TF series IDW have released.

Issue #5 is a killfest, but in a good way, its a series I have re-read twice already, and will definitely come back to time and time again.

1AZRAEL1
28th August 2010, 10:54 AM
I'm a bit late to the party, but I thought it was a good series. And it does leave you wanting more. If only...

GoktimusPrime
1st September 2010, 05:06 PM
Hasbro needs to give us updated toys of the characters in this story. It'd be neat to have Universe/Generations Overlord, Pyro (that's not exclusive), Ironfist, Guzzle etc.

Grievous
1st September 2010, 05:35 PM
It'd be neat to have Universe/Generations Overlord
Neat? That would be the best thing ever!

kup
1st September 2010, 07:15 PM
Neat? That would be the best thing ever!

This is why Hasbro won't do it :p

i_amtrunks
1st September 2010, 09:40 PM
Trade ships this week!

Has some kind of text story (as issue #0) or something.

C'mon book depository hurry and ship it to me! :D

Grievous
2nd September 2010, 04:54 AM
This is why Hasbro won't do it :p
Come on Kup...have faith...it could happen...one day...
:confused:

Tommy K
23rd September 2010, 01:00 AM
read last stand of the wreckers

ok i will admit, i have NEVER read anything like that before when it comes to transformers, i have read the Arkham Assylum comic from batman which was a mind **** and i have to say garrus 9 is the arkham assylum of transformers.

i did enjoy the introduction of the characters, was alil confused why blurr,drift and road buster werent introduced ( i think roadbuster was in the background allongside whirl in the flashback.

anyway summing up

i give it a good 9/10

there just a vibe im getting from this that i got from the thrawn trilogy (star wars)

the villian from that was grand admiral thrawn (surprise!)

anyhoo after the trilogy i couldnt read another star wars novel because no one ever amounted up to grand admiral thrawn, i just hope its not the same case here

Bartrim
23rd September 2010, 07:46 AM
I just finished reading it. Yes I enjoyed it but I think reading everyone elses praises for this series my expectations might of been too high and I was left a little dissapointed. I liked alot of the story (especially the whole Top Spin/ Twin Twist joined spark thingy. That was a good touch)

Things that get to me.

Overlord- Even though Magnus says he is tough not omnipitent (sp? sorry) he still seems like that. Even when he's a burning wreck he still isn't feeling pain... and I thought Drift was a bad ass:p Sure you can make a character tough but he barely flinched when Impactor harpooned his eye. Thats a bit too far for me.

Pyro- I hate that style of character. I'm a hero, I'm this, I'm that when he's really not only to show that he truly is a hero sacrificing himself for the others... seen it before:rolleyes:

Ironfist- Something about him bugged me. I'll admit he does have an interesting backstory but he just seemed like a whinging little bitch for most of the book.

Rotorstorm- He died:( (probably was my favourite character) I did laugh at the "Wreckers combine" bit.

I did enjoy it as a whole though.

GoktimusPrime
23rd September 2010, 12:00 PM
was alil confused why blurr,drift and road buster werent introduc
Blurr and Drift have never been members of the Wreckers, whereas Roadbuster was a member of the original Wreckers in G1.

griffin
23rd September 2010, 01:05 PM
Blurr and Drift have never been members of the Wreckers,

I thought the IDW version of the Wreckers used quite a few 'new' members for their squad? If so, then why rule out those two on that reasoning?

Bartrim
23rd September 2010, 01:14 PM
I thought Roadbuster was part of Springers crew in AHM too? and I'm pretty sure he's in the flashback scenes in LSOW too. Unless he dies somewhere between those two series... I guess thats possible.

i_amtrunks
23rd September 2010, 01:45 PM
I thought Roadbuster was part of Springers crew in AHM too? and I'm pretty sure he's in the flashback scenes in LSOW too. Unless he dies somewhere between those two series... I guess thats possible.

Just too big to fit into the pods Rotorstorm had to pilot! :D

Loving having this in trade format, I've read it again twice, and while I cant say it gets better with each read, it really is a page turner.

GoktimusPrime
26th September 2010, 09:45 AM
I thought the IDW version of the Wreckers used quite a few 'new' members for their squad? If so, then why rule out those two on that reasoning?
http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Wrecker#IDW_Generation_1_comics

Paulbot
15th October 2010, 08:08 PM
I got the trade today and I expected it would have all the profiles in it, but instead it had two new ones. That's a bit weird isn't it?

The new text story is a nice bonus that I look forward to reading. I'm also happy that the Mosaic got a reprint here as well.

One of the review quotes on the back of the book is ridiculous. I'll let you decide which one I'm thinking of.

Sky Shadow
11th January 2011, 10:30 AM
I just reread this in trade form (rather than as individual issues as I first read it). It really is the only sequential art Transformers masterpiece of the past half a decade. This is what Transformers should be.

Ode to a Grasshopper
11th January 2011, 12:03 PM
Blurr and Drift have never been members of the Wreckers, whereas Roadbuster was a member of the original Wreckers in G1.
I thought the IDW version of the Wreckers used quite a few 'new' members for their squad? If so, then why rule out those two on that reasoning?Drift should so be made a member of the Wreckers.:D

Bartrim
11th January 2011, 12:05 PM
I'm still curious as to how Guzzle survived considering Overlord ripped him in half.

Sky Shadow
11th January 2011, 12:29 PM
Drift should so be made a member of the Wreckers.:D

Actually, with the statistical survival rate of Wreckers, I have no problem with this proposal. ;)

I'm still curious as to how Guzzle survived considering Overlord ripped him in half.

I completely agree - that was the one thing that stood out as unexplained in the miniseries. I suppose he was 'only' ripped in half at the waist and then whacked into Kup's head, but it felt like it Guzzle's survival deserved at least a line of exposition. That said, maybe it was meant to render ironic Overlord's line "you didn't expect this stunted little wretch to survive, did you?"

The other thing that didn't make much sense was that they made a plot point of Impactor losing his right hand and Ironfist replacing it with a harpoon... but Impactor still had a harpoon in all the flashbacks.

Sharky
11th January 2011, 12:50 PM
The other thing that didn't make much sense was that they made a plot point of Impactor losing his right hand and Ironfist replacing it with a harpoon... but Impactor still had a harpoon in all the flashbacks.

i thought that was odd as well...

i still think LSoTW was the stand out comic of the last 2 years for IDW while ironhide was enjoyable, it easnt as good as roches little gem...

i wonder how long before IDW reboot it......

5FDP
31st August 2011, 10:02 AM
Thinking of getting back into the comics and considering getting The Last Stand of the Wreckers trade from Target. What I would like to know is, is this a good starting point for someone who hasn't read a Transformers comic since the original Marvel series?

kup
31st August 2011, 10:32 AM
Thinking of getting back into the comics and considering getting The Last Stand of the Wreckers trade from Target. What I would like to know is, is this a good starting point for someone who hasn't read a Transformers comic since the original Marvel series?

Yes, the series is mostly a self contained story that stands very well on it's own. Recently I loaned my Wreckers comic to a friend who had never read any TF comics before and he enjoyed it.

Arcee
31st August 2011, 10:42 AM
I started with Spotlight before going on to The Last Stand of the Wreckers and I haven't even read the orginial Marvel series yet. And I find them awesome.

My readings are quite random and that I've got used to, so it doesn't really bother me when there are references to background characters/stories unknown to me, because as long as I keep reading (no matter the order) in the end every piece of jigsaw automatically fit together.

Go for it; that's one awesome book. I love it.

Lint
31st August 2011, 11:10 AM

You've actually read transformers fiction so you have plenty of background. Things will be different in the IDW universe but like Kup said its a stand-alone story. You do get more out of it if you're familiar with the G1.5 toys :)

Highly recommended, in fact it should go into some national archive!

kup
31st August 2011, 11:29 AM
You've actually read transformers fiction so you have plenty of background. Things will be different in the IDW universe but like Kup said its a stand-alone story. You do get more out of it if you're familiar with the G1.5 toys :)

Highly recommended, in fact it should go into some national archive!

Yeah that's right when it comes to the Euro toys. You also get more out of it if you are familiar with the Marvel UK stories and characters, more so than IDW's run as you get several cameos.

5FDP
31st August 2011, 11:30 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys! I guess I am just being cautious... it's not like comics retail for $1 anymore :o Hopefully I can still find a copy at my local Target.

Lint
31st August 2011, 01:46 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys! I guess I am just being cautious... it's not like comics retail for $1 anymore :o Hopefully I can still find a copy at my local Target.

Let us know if you can't. I picked up spares :)

5FDP
31st August 2011, 02:06 PM
Let us know if you can't. I picked up spares :)

Thanks Lint. That's very generous of you. I'll let you know :)

Decepticon
31st August 2011, 05:50 PM
I got a LSOTW at Target few months back. I am much in the same boat as I havnt read a comic in decades but wanted to get in them again. Unfortunately I have only read the first few pages:o
I just dont have time in my hectic life !!!LOL.................Does make a good display piece though.

jena
31st August 2011, 06:34 PM
I picked up LSOTW from Target today and I haven't read any comics since I was a kid, so I'm pleased to read that it won't matter.

Arcee
31st August 2011, 08:03 PM
I picked up LSOTW from Target today and I haven't read any comics since I was a kid, so I'm pleased to read that it won't matter.
You won't regret it Jena, trust me. Whenever I've read something that I like I'll read it more than once. I've had this book for only a week and I've already read the whole thing twice, and I know that's not the end.

5FDP
31st August 2011, 08:09 PM
Success! I found a copy at my local Target. It scanned for only $8 so as far as I'm concerned, it was a win-win situation :D Looking forward to posting my thoughts of it here (although, like Decepticon, I have to find the time to read it first).

Lord_Zed
31st August 2011, 11:32 PM
Actually, with the statistical survival rate of Wreckers, I have no problem with this proposal. ;)

Statistics don't apply to Drift, fourfty percent of all people know that.:p

I completely agree - that was the one thing that stood out as unexplained in the miniseries. I suppose he was 'only' ripped in half at the waist and then whacked into Kup's head, but it felt like it Guzzle's survival deserved at least a line of exposition. That said, maybe it was meant to render ironic Overlord's line "you didn't expect this stunted little wretch to survive, did you?"

In the ol marvel G1 comic, Blitzwing, Horribull and others got ripped in two every week and came back and no one batted an eyelid. Transformers can take a hell of punishment, unless the writer wants them dead, or they get shot in the Prime rib.:D

Sky Shadow
1st September 2011, 01:53 PM
Statistics don't apply to Drift, fourfty percent of all people know that.:p

I LOLled at this for a good fourfty seconds.