PDA

View Full Version : This is how new tf series should be animated if ther is one :)

primatives
29th January 2010, 09:41 PM
Hi i really like how this show was drawn i think if there is a new TF series i think it should be animated like this. Does anyone agree that cartoons these days to me look weird and not a fan I prefer the old style drawings like this one :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaJKmPx7XTY

Im buying this DVD on ebay its region one and complete if anyone wants a set tell me so i can save on shipping and cheaper for u too :) its about 18AU and i think about 11AU for shipping and only add an extra dollar for each dvd.

Sam
30th January 2010, 10:51 AM
I actually don't watch any of the newer cartoons - they don't really interest me at all. The "newest" one is the new He-Man series (the one you've linked to).

I too prefer the old cartoons from the 80s and 90s.

GoktimusPrime
30th January 2010, 11:15 AM
The "minimalistic" or "simplistic" style of cartooning has been around for ages (e.g. Powerpuff Girls, Clone Wars (cel animated), Batman, JLA, Teen Titans et al.) -- I don't necessarily think it's weird, just different. But I personally am not a huge fan of translating this style into Transformers and Star Wars, but that's JMO.

Animated was an unorthodox aesthetic for Transformers being so 'simplified', but then so is the live action movies which are super-complex. The more orthodox style that we're used to with Transformers is more closely related to Japanese mecha. So I'd personally really love to see a new Transformers series animated like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDcApgaFsMQ

:)

OrionPax
30th January 2010, 11:35 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDcApgaFsMQ

Ahh! The blood!:eek:

More to your point, I agree that TF would fit this sort of animation but I don't think that it will happen soon. :)

Towers_Spy
30th January 2010, 11:41 AM
So I'd personally really love to see a new Transformers series animated like this

+1 hells yeah

Gutsman Heavy
30th January 2010, 01:35 PM
So I'd personally really love to see a new Transformers series animated like this:

I wouldn't, anime is barely animated as it is, unless Ghibli animate it I'd prefer to let Mainframe have another go.

GoktimusPrime
30th January 2010, 02:02 PM
I wouldn't, anime is barely animated as it is, unless Ghibli animate it
You can blame Evangelion for that. Animé's never been quite the same since then (it's been more about pumping out quantity rather than quality). But I quite like the animation in what little I've seen of Macross Frontier.

Even with a good animation studio it also depends on how much money HasTak wants to spend on the show. For example the entire G1 cartoon was animated by Toei/Sunbow, yet we saw a noticeable drop in overall animation quality as the seasons progressed (compare "More Than Meets The Eye" with "The Rebirth"). Transformers Car Robot (RiD) was animated by Studio Gallop, the same mob that also animated Rurouni Kenshin (TV series), Initial D etc. and also worked with Studio Ghibli with Kiki's Delivery Service and Laputa Castle In The Sky. So budget's a big factor too.

I'd prefer to let Mainframe have another go.
Mainframe would rock. :) Mainframe are able to work well within shrinking budgets as they did with Beast Wars; the budget for Season 2 was half that for Season 1; that's why Season 1 has 26 eps but Season 2 has only 13 eps. Mainframe could have either produced another 26 ep series of reduced quality or a 13 ep series of superior quality - they chose the latter. And it certainly worked out well, as we know Beast Wars Season 2 won an Emmy Award for best visual effects in an animated television series. They chose quality over quantity, which is something that is lacking in a lot of post-Evangelion animés in Japan today (not all, but a lot more than before Eva). :(

SMHFConvoy
30th January 2010, 02:44 PM
So for Transformers to be CG again? Much like TF Cybertron. But would HasTak go for a darker colour palette, which marries CG and cel animation better than the brighter palette of TF Cybertron?

GoktimusPrime
30th January 2010, 07:09 PM
I think Gutsman Heavy was thinking more like an entirely CGI cartoon, like Beast Wars and Beast Machines (or more recently, Star Wars Clone Wars (although SWCW is American whereas BW/BM is Canadian)) rather than a CG-cel combination like Galaxy Force/Cybertron.

I'd prefer to let Mainframe have another go.

kup
30th January 2010, 09:08 PM
(although SWCW is American whereas BW/BM is Canadian))

I thought Canadians were also Americans ;)

Gutsman Heavy
30th January 2010, 09:33 PM
I hate the GCI hybrid, its never gels IMO, but would rather not see it animated in ANY Anime style, they are mostly cheap and nasty. American studios can still animate fairly well, He-man 2002 and the "new" TMNT cartoon were pretty well done.

Still Mainframe FTW. It amazes me they could animate so well on a shoestring budget waaay back in 1996!

SMHFConvoy
31st January 2010, 02:27 PM
I hate the GCI hybrid, its never gels IMO, but would rather not see it animated in ANY Anime style, they are mostly cheap and nasty.

I only mentioned the CG cel hybrid because of the Macross Frontier link given by Goktimus. I'm not a big fan of it myself but CG is a useful tool for keeping things like cars and ships on model.

The Macross clip is a good example of it being done well and you'll find that CG is popping up more in prime time animation e.g. The Simpsons, Season 18 Ep 10, "The Wife Aquatic" The fishing trawler is in CG and marries well with the cel animation because the boat is flat coloured with no shading.

As for Mainframe animating a new series? I don't know wasn't the company bought by Sony?

I'd like the next series to be a continuation of TF:A (right, that'll happen) Regardless of what the new series looks like (CG, cel or both) I'd like the series to be done well in story and visuals. Not like the Unicron trilogy :(

Lord_Zed
31st January 2010, 08:57 PM
I hate the GCI hybrid, its never gels IMO, but would rather not see it animated in ANY Anime style, they are mostly cheap and nasty. American studios can still animate fairly well, He-man 2002 and the "new" TMNT cartoon were pretty well done.

Still Mainframe FTW. It amazes me they could animate so well on a shoestring budget waaay back in 1996!

I hate that generalization, it all depends on the budget and the studio. The animation of the 80's of which G1 was mostly equally cheap, nasty, shallow and soulless as the new stuff from Japan that has taken over the mainstream kids cartoons. It could be in any style but it wont matter for a second if the company that takes the reigns doesn't care about thier product.

I can also think of many decent examples of combined cellshaded 3D and 2d animation, such as Ghost in the Shell, Futurama, and even the He-Man series you mentioned had 3D generated cell shaded vehicles. The problem with Transformers Energon is there was no effort expended making them fit in, and even less expended animating them. it was the complete oppisite of Beast Wars with quantity over quality.

That said I don't really care what style it's in, cause it don't mean nothing if the story is crap, and I haven't reall enjoyed a TF toon since Beast Machines. maybe they should just suprise everyone and make it clay animation? :D

Robzy
31st January 2010, 11:51 PM
Both 200X versions of MOTU and TMNT were absolutely awesome!! I would definitely like to see TFs animated in that style!

loophole
1st February 2010, 08:50 AM
Both 200X versions of MOTU and TMNT were absolutely awesome!! I would definitely like to see TFs animated in that style!

+1000 especially if lasted as long as the TMNT series has that way the series wont end just as its starting to get really good like animated did