PDA

View Full Version : Fan Review - Fury of Fearswoop 3-pack

griffin
3rd February 2010, 12:47 PM
Fury of Fearswoop
Fearswoop Vs Mudflap & Sideswipe
Released here - Not released here (in US SEPT 2009)
Approximate Retail Price - (US$20)

http://www.otca.com.au/tr10018a.jpg

Review - Fearswoop
Series - TF2 Movie
Sub-line -
Size - Deluxe
New/remould/redeco - Redeco
Wave -
Approximate Size - 15cm
Allegiance - Decepticon
Alt-mode - Fighter Jet
Main Features/Gimmicks - Automorph (parts move automatically during conversion)
Main Colours - Orange, black, white
Main Accessories - 2 missiles
My Difficulty rating (out of 5) - 2 (one of the easier ones once converted once)
Stability - Jet mode feels flimsy and loose, and the robot mode is a bit top-heavy.
Poseability/articulation - Legs could do with joints to give more front-back movement, but the transformation probably prevents it. Wings get in the way of the arms a bit as well.
Playability - Fairly quick to convert, and has a fighter jet as an alt mode, which are plusses for fun and playability. Articulation and flimsiness work against it though. Would be better if the missile launchers from the robot mode were still missile launchers in alt mode, instead of becoming the jet engines (missiles are a fiery red to resemble exhaust).
My Thoughts - A homage to a Gen2 Cyberjet Hooligan with its colours, but I think the bright colours are just too much for the eyes. The original release of this mould (2007 Dreadwing) was a blue and grey colour, which looked a bit better than this one. The faceless 'drone' head bothers me. Even as a drone, the toy/character should still have some sort of face for the eventual redeco like this one. The hands are the missile launchers, so it ends up having no hands and no face.

Review - Mudflap (battle damaged)
Series - TF2 Movie
Sub-line -
Size - Legends
New/remould/redeco - Minor Redeco
Wave -
Approximate Size - 7cm
Allegiance - Autobot
Alt-mode - Chevy Trax Concept Mode
Main Features/Gimmicks - none
Main Colours - Orange, grey
Main Accessories - none
My Difficulty rating (out of 5) - 0.5
Stability - Fairly stable in both modes, but head sits very loosely in robot mode.
Poseability/articulation - What you'd expect from a Legends figure.
Playability - Decent play value, for such an ugly looking mutant.
My Thoughts - Never been a fan of the way Hasbro does 'Battle Damaged' toys, because it just doesn't look right, and ends up ruining the look of the toy. I think the only one they ever did right was Armada Galvatron. This Mudflap and Sideswipe don't even look battle damaged - it looks more like tribal markings (or Wolverine had a go at them with his claws). I think good battle damage would be a couple of remoulded panels that are 'dented', and paint apps to look like the 'paint' of the vehicle mode has been scraped away. This one is a very minor redeco, making the 'dirty' deco of Mudflap (Straightaway Shootout 5-pack) looking much better as a minor redeco of this mould.

Review - Sideswipe (battle damaged)
Series - TF2 Movie
Sub-line -
Size - Legends
New/remould/redeco - Minor Redeco
Wave -
Approximate Size - 7cm
Allegiance - Autobot
Alt-mode - Concept Corvette Stingray Concept Mode
Main Features/Gimmicks - none
Main Colours - Grey
Main Accessories - none
My Difficulty rating (out of 5) - 1 (legs can be tricky, or will just pop off easily)
Stability - Not the best Legends figure in robot mode, but problaby can't be helped with such small figures.
Poseability/articulation - Again, it is just a Legends figure, so articulation is limited.
Playability - Very playable.
My Thoughts - See comments above, as these paint-aps ruin the toy more than it enhances it.

My Overall Recommendation Rating (out of 10) - 4 (an obscure homage and very minor redecos - not a set that needs to be bought)
10-017

http://www.otca.com.au/tr10018b.jpg

Starscream212
3rd February 2010, 04:58 PM
I have this pack and i disagree, with a 4/10 rating. i would bump it up to 6/10.

In regards to your comments on fearswoop, i find that he is very stable in jet mode once all the pegs are firmly pushed in, the no hands and head dose not bother me as its something different in my collection.
But the paint job is the reason why i brought this figure! in my opinion it looks good, it stands out from all the other figures and is nice and bold compared to the predominately darker movie figures.
My only issue is the silver screws which are visible in robot mode, but i can deal with that.

I agree with your comments about the legends figures so there goes 4 points, but i have sold them for $20 so it has made this figure cheaper than a retail deluxe toy.

Well thats my opinion, but each to their own! :)

Paulbot
3rd February 2010, 06:31 PM
I've marked buy if cheap. I'd have got this as a regular Deluxe repaint (at that price). I like the original toy as I recall. I have no need for these two legends though with their cheap "scratched" repaint.

lcz128
3rd February 2010, 09:21 PM
Haven't been that big a fan of that deluxe mould. The proportions never worked for me ... But that said I always liked the alt mode....pass for me, but thanks for the review

Jhiaxus
5th February 2010, 04:45 AM
I'll point out in your complaint about the hands and the face that the ORIGINAL Hooligan didn't have a face, and only had ONE hand.

--Jhiaxus.
(Cyberjets weren't known for faces, dude. Even if you DID give him an homage face for Hooligan it would end up being... no face.)