PDA

View Full Version : Ironhide is Armordillo

Verno
4th February 2010, 02:39 PM
I was putting some figures back into storage which hadn't sold on eBay yesterday and as I was transforming Armordillo, I couldn't help but notice the strange ridge on the top of his robot head. That reminds me of someone else in the TF universe. Ironhide. And the similarities don't stop there.

Ironhide was meant to be a great warrior, well for a basic sized figure, Armordillo comes with 2 weapons, some basics didn't have any.

The name Ironhide would have been quite apt for a Armadillo, with a thick shell.

So I can't help but think that in the very early design stage, Armordillo was perhaps going to be named Ironhide. Perhaps it was withdrawn because of the use of the Ironhide name in the Magnaboss combiner team or maybe they wanted to make more new characters instead of rehashing old ones.

We'll never know but it was just an observation.

GoktimusPrime
4th February 2010, 03:49 PM
I think it's coincidental. Ironhide's Marvel/Sunbow head has that kind of Greco-Roman helmet look to it. Also Armourdillo came out about a year before Magnaboss, so I would be surprised if BW Ironhide was even being conceived around the same time Armourdillo was.

I'd say they withdrew the name because the first year of BW toys' names were mostly associated with their beast modes.
e.g.:
Cheetor the cheetah
Rhinox the rhinoceros
Tarantulas the tarantula
Armourdillo the armadillo
Such wit. :p

Meh... as you said, we'll probably never know for sure.

dirge
4th February 2010, 03:58 PM
It's quite possible that Ironhide was an inspiration for Armordillo. It's a cool theory (:

Lord_Zed
4th February 2010, 07:59 PM
While the Ironhide influence is plausible, I have to say after Goki mentioned the Grecco-Riman influence I can't but help think of this well armed Maximal as some sort of gladiator. I guess the arena fights didn't end with war.

SofaMan
4th February 2010, 08:26 PM
I think it's coincidental. Ironhide's Marvel/Sunbow head has that kind of Greco-Roman helmet look to it. Also Armourdillo came out about a year before Magnaboss, so I would be surprised if BW Ironhide was even being conceived around the same time Armourdillo was.

Of course, Magnaboss raises the issue that winthing a year or two they happily reused the names Silverbolt and Prowl without batting an eye.

While I agree it's probably a coincidence, I like the 'might-have-been'. :)

GoktimusPrime
4th February 2010, 09:39 PM
And so a new Transformers Urban Legend is born. ;D

Autocon
4th February 2010, 10:21 PM
what other figures went into storage?:D

Verno
4th February 2010, 10:36 PM
Armodillo, K-9, 2 Wolfangs, Manterror, Megatron Croc and a MOSC Scarem. I was hoping to clear out all my spares before I went back to Uni.

Firestorm
7th February 2010, 09:42 PM
Armodillo, K-9, 2 Wolfangs, Manterror, Megatron Croc and a MOSC Scarem. I was hoping to clear out all my spares before I went back to Uni.

Wait, did you also sell snapper, spittor, jawbreaker, transquitto and insecticon?

Autocon
8th February 2010, 01:06 AM

MANTERROR!!!!!:eek: what condition? bio card? instructions? can i hold it? and how much?

Autocon
8th February 2010, 01:06 AM
Wait, did you also sell snapper, spittor, jawbreaker, transquitto and insecticon?

you had transquitto!!! and jawbreaker wouldnt mind another one of him i love the mold:D

Autocon
8th February 2010, 01:15 AM
Of course, Magnaboss raises the issue that winthing a year or two they happily reused the names Silverbolt and Prowl without batting an eye.

While I agree it's probably a coincidence, I like the 'might-have-been'. :)

those two are meant to be the g1 characters carried over. And prowl transmetal i heard is meant to be prowl II which is a clone or something? it is in the comics

Verno
8th February 2010, 01:37 PM

I sure did.

GoktimusPrime
8th February 2010, 02:07 PM
those two are meant to be the g1 characters carried over. And prowl transmetal i heard is meant to be prowl II which is a clone or something? it is in the comics
Kind of.

Prowl II was created as a shell for Wheeljack to transplant Prowl's dying Spark into. The procedure was unsuccessful, so they transferred the original data-tracks of Prowl into the shell along with the mind of Chip Chase. The combined entity is known as Prowl II. Prowl II first appeared in the G1 cartoon (image (http://tfwiki.net/w2/images2/8/85/Prowlwubsmagnus_headmasters.jpg)) - and has also appeared in the IDW Beast Wars and Timelines comics (as you said). His origin was explained in The Story of Binaltech.

Reference (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Prowl_II)

Verno
8th February 2010, 04:08 PM
Kind of.

Prowl II was created as a shell for Wheeljack to transplant Prowl's dying Spark into. The procedure was unsuccessful, so they transferred the original data-tracks of Prowl into the shell along with the mind of Chip Chase. The combined entity is known as Prowl II. Prowl II first appeared in the G1 cartoon (image (http://tfwiki.net/w2/images2/8/85/Prowlwubsmagnus_headmasters.jpg)) - and has also appeared in the IDW Beast Wars and Timelines comics (as you said). His origin was explained in The Story of Binaltech.

Reference (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Prowl_II)

What a load of bollocks. Convoluted much?!

GoktimusPrime
8th February 2010, 05:17 PM
I think it's a neat way of explaining what was really a series of mistakes. Also, Ichikawa Hirofumi is a fan-writer. AFAIK he's had no professional training in writing. I prefer his stories over most fanfics. Ah well, to each their own. :)

Firestorm
9th February 2010, 02:15 PM
I sure did.

well i guess i'll thank you for those now, they havnt arrived yet though

as for that stuff about Prowl and Prowl II i kinda like there ghost-prowl-clone-the Second thingy idea

GoktimusPrime
9th February 2010, 04:16 PM
Well before the retcon came along, everyone just pointed and laughed at Prowl's presence in The Headmasters. Even though we knew why it happened, it was still a funny anomaly. I like how the retcon explains it.

...what is still NOT explained is the appearance of Wheeljack in Victory, reconstructing Ginrai into Victory Leo (alongside Minerva and Perceptor). As we all know Wheeljack was killed in Transformers The Movie, so his appearance in Victory is a contradiction. Another unexplained anomaly is that both Wheeljack and Perceptor's personalities are distinctly different from their appearances in previous seasons. Also their voice actors are different (from the Japanese dub actors in "Fight! Super Robot Life"). I suspect that writers/animators just chucked them in to have a team of Autobots to rebuild Ginrai, without really caring about who the slag they were! Gah.

Official retcon please!

Verno
9th February 2010, 04:17 PM
well i guess i'll thank you for those now, they havnt arrived yet though

as for that stuff about Prowl and Prowl II i kinda like there ghost-prowl-clone-the Second thingy idea

Sounds like you should be thanking Autocon for not using eBay :p