PDA

View Full Version : This KO promoting thing is going too far

kup
11th March 2008, 04:38 PM
Its bad enough that TFW2005 is promoting a new KO G1 'accurate' Reflector release but they are also promoting the KO Alt Prowl!!

Some could see that the KO Reflector and other 'lost mold' G1 releases as 'gray areas' since those toys will likely never see an official release again but promoting the Alt Prowl? That is beyond crossing the line

On the KO front: We will be charging for Metrotitan preorders starting on
Tuesday March 11th. Also we will be charging for the Alt Prowl preorders
including the Chinese Police version. (if you have not been charged already)
These are all shipping by the end of this month along with a few other KO
Alts including the American Police version of the Acura, the blue Acura and
the original Japanese version of the Acura. For the Generation 1 style of
KOs, Devastator box set, Insecticons, and Snarl are shipping immediately
along with a few older figures, Grimlock, clear Optimus Prime and a few
others. Wheeljack and Sunstreaker are now said to be shipping in April along
with a surprise to me: Reflector. Reflector should be available in three
versions, Original Japanese box, original US white mailer box or an newly
created American style Generation 1 box. The date for Reflector is not
confirmed (like usual) but I am told late April or perhaps early May!

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/generation-1-1/next-generation-1-knock-off-is-reflector-164404/

goro
11th March 2008, 05:48 PM
hmmm the alts are from teh same company that do the metroplex/titan

jaydisc
11th March 2008, 05:51 PM
Wasn't agesthreeandup the company that got wrist slapped by Hasbro?

roller
12th March 2008, 06:05 PM
reflector mould is lost?

if hasbro dont care we must make them care otherwise no reissues

now, im on the fence on this one, i say we should, i dont know...build a fence!!!

Tetsuwan Convoy
12th March 2008, 07:12 PM
That is a lot of knocking off going on right there.

Obviously the moulds aren't all that "lost" if someone is making knock-offs with them. Can Hastak reclaim the moulds or anything like that off the KO-ers? I would love a re-issuse Metroplex for example, but with a bunch of KOs being whipped off, it aint gonna happen is it?

MV75
12th March 2008, 09:15 PM
I thought that they had the metroplex mould but it just wouldn't pass the drop test and they couldn't be arsed fixing it.
________
Vapir no2 vaporizer (http://vapirno2.net)

autobreadticon
12th March 2008, 09:17 PM
lets make a list for reference, so people can refer to it when making ebay purchases

i_amtrunks
13th March 2008, 09:00 AM
TFW staff must be getting some decent sale prices or something to be flogging off the KO's as often as they have been lately.

Either that or they have shares in the company making them ! :p

kup
13th March 2008, 11:09 AM
G1 Accurate Devastater KO set has been released. Obviously it is of a much higher quality that the cheapo one that you normally see on Ebay AU but still KO.

As usual, FTW2005 is promoting them including a pics gallery:

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/generation-1-1/replica-transformers-generation-1-devastator-giftset-knock-off-on-ebay-164417/

Just noticed, the box even has Hasbro's old logo on it.

Paulbot
13th March 2008, 11:18 AM
Autobreadticon, we've tried to make lists before but I couldn't find the thread last night. If you're in doubt about a toy though just ask and we'll set you straight.

llamatron
13th March 2008, 01:11 PM
Some people want KOs. Free market. Deal with it / get over it. Stay informed yes, bitch and whine, no.

kup
13th March 2008, 01:23 PM
Some people want KOs. Free market. Deal with it / get over it. Stay informed yes, bitch and whine, no.

I do not think that the people who have to dig through lots of ebay pages full of KOs to get to the real article nor the ones who have bought a KO being passed as a legitimate figure agree with you.

jaydisc
13th March 2008, 01:29 PM

I agree with you.

Paulbot
13th March 2008, 01:32 PM
And some people don't want KOs.

I don't think any one is particularly "bitching and whining".

TheDirtyDigger
13th March 2008, 02:12 PM

I don't think any one is particularly "bitching and whining".

I am.:mad:

F***s me off greatly that I wanted Reflector for so long and searched so hard and finally acquired him at around $100 and he became a very special and somewhat unique and genuine part of my collection and now some filthy factory owning maggot in China decides he can exploit his downtrodden workers a bit longer by ripping off a product he has no legal or moral right to.

llamatron
13th March 2008, 02:32 PM
First up, yep yep yep the endless pages of cheap ebay ko's is annoying.

I am.:mad:

F***s me off greatly that I wanted Reflector for so long and searched so hard and finally acquired him at around $100 and he became a very special and somewhat unique and genuine part of my collection and now some filthy factory owning maggot in China decides he can exploit his downtrodden workers a bit longer by ripping off a product he has no legal or moral right to.

http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/4382/jumpmatux3.jpg

Would you be so outraged if an official Takara reissue was made? You would still be losing value off your "investment" and downtrodden workers would still be exploited, only now the exploitation comes from a big toy company!

TheDirtyDigger
13th March 2008, 02:48 PM
First up, yep yep yep the endless pages of cheap ebay ko's is annoying.

Would you be so outraged if an official Takara reissue was made? You would still be losing value off your "investment" and downtrodden workers would still be exploited, only now the exploitation comes from a big toy company!

Nah not so much. I prefer genuine to fake crap in all things. Gold, breasts, etc... That's the reason I steal genuine DVD's instead of downloading them or buying pirate copies from computer nerds.
It's a known fact that KO workers get paid far less and have much crappier conditions that genuine workers. It's written......somewhere.:o

It's not the monetary investment it cheapens so much as the emotional investment.:(

llamatron
13th March 2008, 03:01 PM
It's cool dog, it's cool. I understand why people can hate KOs, I just don't see the need to try and shut them all down. Personally I am very interested in getting this Reflector KO if it's any good as he is indeed a pain to track down.

TheDirtyDigger
13th March 2008, 03:09 PM
It's cool dog, it's cool. I understand why people can hate KOs, I just don't see the need to try and shut them all down. Personally I am very interested in getting this Reflector KO if it's any good as he is indeed a pain to track down.

Haha...understand completely. If I didn't have my own gen-yew-ine Reflector I'd probably be tempted to the dark side myself but keep that a secret.
He is a hard little s.o.b. to track down indeed so that's why it felt extra goody to finally get him.

MV75
13th March 2008, 05:56 PM

You seem oblivious to the fact that if there wern't KO crap made, that takara/hasbro would have done those guys.

It's because of ko's that we don't have official g1 combiner releases. So yes, I will bitch and moan and send g1 accurate ko makers and buyers to intensive care if I had the chance.

Thanks a lot scumbags.
________
Bmw Motorcycle Owners Of America History (http://www.bmw-tech.org/wiki/BMW_Motorcycle_Owners_of_America)

dirge
13th March 2008, 07:21 PM
I think it'd be a fair assumption that most of those who "want" KOs are only going for them because of the lower prices. If there were a genuine Mirage reissue alongside the KO for the same price, I suspect the reissues would flounder.

In that context, I agree with MV75. The reissue makers are denying fans who _don't_ want KOs of say the Constructions a reissue they may have otherwise had access to.

1orion2many
13th March 2008, 10:00 PM
:(Unfortunately they will always be made, the cheap labour has mouths to feed and the rip-off merchants will take advantage of this so that even if we did get a genuine re-release these people would still be able to severly undercut thier prices on the KO's to still sell them at a profit as most people will not pass up a cheap bargain, especially if it's to give to a small child as they will not know the difference between KO and licensed.:(

MV75
15th March 2008, 10:23 AM
most people will not pass up a cheap bargain, especially if it's to give to a small child as they will not know the difference between KO and licensed.:(

Until it disintegrates from the extreme stresses put on it from the actions of just removing it from the packaging they won't notice. :p

Ends up not so cheap then.
________
UHWH (http://uhwh.com/)

llamatron
17th March 2008, 07:02 PM
Most KO's being released are of either "lost" molds or unlikely toys (see: Metroplex). HasTak have stated before that certain molds are gone forever (Sunstreaker, Mirage, Wheeljack etc) and they are not likely to create new molds. Yeah they pieced together Soundwave but that was really a one off as he is easy to sell.

kup
23rd March 2008, 06:34 PM
I found a link to this in the FTW2005 website:

http://www.actoys.net/bbs/read.php?tid=162398

The invasion has BEGUN!

MV75
23rd March 2008, 07:49 PM
A few of those have wonky looking stickers, but for car mode don't look too bad. At least they're not trying to fully imitate the real thing, plus they're alts/bt's so I don't care as much for them. :D

But if they were cheap (doubtful with kos these days), they'd be ok for car mode displays, as I've noticed the hotwheels range of cars that size are pretty bad quality. But yea, I wouldn't buy either really, I'd pay more for that other brand that currently escapes me, but they do fantastic models.
________
Michigan medical marijuana dispensary (http://michigan.dispensaries.org/)

kup
28th March 2008, 08:32 AM
lol half the stuff they have at the FTW2005 main page are knock offs!

http://www.tfw2005.com/

i_amtrunks
28th March 2008, 09:01 AM
The fact ages 3 and up is a big sponsor of theirs, cant help, since they mainly sell KO's.

The Devastator KO giftset is going to annoy more people than most KO releases though...:(

1orion2many
28th March 2008, 10:13 AM
I found a link to this in the FTW2005 website:

http://www.actoys.net/bbs/read.php?tid=162398

The invasion has BEGUN!

The car modes don't seem to fit together very well, the hoods are crooked and the doors don't sit flush.

MV75
29th March 2008, 07:52 PM
lol half the stuff they have at the FTW2005 main page are knock offs!

http://www.tfw2005.com/

Heh, since when isn't it? :D
________
500 (http://www.mercedes-wiki.com/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_500)

roller
29th March 2008, 07:56 PM
i just had a groovy 1960s thought

maybe we have it wrong

maybe this KO promoting thing does not go far enough?!!!!!

jaydisc
30th March 2008, 03:26 PM
It all seems good to me because it satisfies those buyers who are willing to accept KOs thus reducing my competition for getting originals :)

kup
31st March 2008, 12:49 AM
It all seems good to me because it satisfies those buyers who are willing to accept KOs thus reducing my competition for getting originals :)

With all due respect, that is short sighted.

The more KOs the less inclined that HasTak is to release legit version. The G1 Constructicons is an example of this.

The more KOs sell, the more they are on Ebay. I had a real hard time trying to buy a BT Prowl as there are lots and lots of KOs out there and I almost fell for a loose KO BT Wheeljack that was being advertised as legit.

I have already been the victim of buying a loose KO Ratbat which is impossible to tell if its real or not through pictures.

So you end up with a greater risk of fraud from people selling loose 'accurate' KOs and more competition from people looking for the real thing.

Real BT Wheeljack and Prowls have increased in price considerably since the KOs came out because more people want to grab the ones that have been confirmed to be real and will not put off a chance to buy one as it will be harder and harder to do so as the KOs flood the market. It only takes two keen buyers to drive up the price of a bid on Ebay to insane prices.

jaydisc
31st March 2008, 07:13 AM
Sorry. My comment was mostly in jest. I was just rolling off of roller's comment.

MV75
31st March 2008, 10:24 AM
Fully agree with Kup there. Except the ratbat part, as I'm so warey that I'm not even considering buying any tapes because of all the KOs, and I really would like them, but damn KOs hold me back because they're impossible to tell outside of the "twin packs".
________
RHODE ISLAND DISPENSARY (http://rhodeisland.dispensaries.org/)

TheDirtyDigger
22nd May 2008, 08:21 AM
A certain family entertainment centre on the Gold Coast providing BT KO's for 1000 redemption tickets each.
The evil *&%$#ers had a Sunstreaker and Hound. Packaging has them in bot mode.