PDA

View Full Version : Stupid things that mearly made it to print

snaketales
13th February 2010, 03:05 PM
Part of my job is to check journalists' stories and make sure they make sense, but sometimes the mistakes are too funny not to share.

Outside, there is a paved patio and shire-approved shed with concrete flower and power.
Guess that will save on the watering bill

Artists maths debate
Headline for a story about an exhibition on the history of maths - surprisingly it got knocked back

Mr Richardson was devoted to dogs; he bred German Shepherds with his wife Honey for several years.
But what did his wife think?

journo:
WA MUSEUMS added to their maritime collection recently with coins believed to be relics from the shipwreck Zuytdorp that sunk off the WA coast in 1971.
wikipedia:
Wrecked at the Zuytdorp Cliffs in 1712
Close....

I'll add to this as I come across them, which is at least several a week.

Lint
13th February 2010, 09:27 PM
The more I scrutinise a profession, the less respect I tend to have for it. :rolleyes:

I remember 'the west' did a feature on the Vietnam War which had factual inconsistencies on the front page article compared to the lift-out feature inside.

From memory the they stated very different dates on the invasion of Saigon and one article stated the NVA forces invaded while the other stated that the invasion was by Viet Cong (and went on to refer to Viet Cong as if they were the whole north vietnamese armed forces for the rest of the feature). All asians look alike eh? :p

Hope you weren't responsible for letting that slip snaketales, if so, I still had a good laugh anyway :D

Lint
16th April 2010, 09:25 AM
TF related news goof. Either the millions spent on marketing hasn't worked or someone didn't do their editing. :rolleyes:

http://www.news.com.au/technology/download-culture/gallery-fn58oolp-1225848387689?page=9

GoktimusPrime
16th April 2010, 09:33 AM
Headline for a story about an exhibition on the history of maths - surprisingly it got knocked back
I... think the history of maths/science is rather interesting. Especially the contributions made by Hindu-Islam which modern European-biased history usually overlooks. Do people think we use Hindu-Arabic numerals (e.g. 1234567890) just for fun? ;)

Sky Shadow
16th April 2010, 10:05 AM
Stupid things that mearly made it to print

"Mearly"?

Who edits the editors?

;)

5FDP
16th April 2010, 10:09 AM
"Mearly"?

Who edits the editors?

;)

Too funny :D

Gutsman Heavy
16th April 2010, 01:42 PM
"Mearly"?

Who edits the editors?

;)

coastguard

griffin
16th April 2010, 02:02 PM
"Mearly"?

Who edits the editors?

;)

I figured that it was part of the pun of this topic...

liegeprime
16th April 2010, 11:15 PM
Do people think we use Hindu-Arabic numerals (e.g. 1234567890) just for fun? ;)

Ask the people at Sesame street or specifically , The Count!:D