PDA

View Full Version : moving transformers overseas or across countries

langzixinxin
15th February 2010, 09:37 PM
Hi,

Just wondering, anyone had the experience moving your collection from one country to another?

I am new to TF collecting, now I started worrying if one day I have to move, is that possible to bring them along?

I saw a guy on ebay UK selling all his collections just because he need to work overseas for a new beginning. That's pain.

:confused:

kup
15th February 2010, 09:41 PM
Hi,

Just wondering, anyone had the experience moving your collection from one country to another?

I am new to TF collecting, now I started worrying if one day I have to move, is that possible to bring them along?

I saw a guy on ebay UK selling all his collections just because he need to work overseas for a new beginning. That's pain.

I once inquired about this but never got a solid response so I would also be interested in what a knowledgeable person has to say.

GoktimusPrime
15th February 2010, 09:58 PM
I had to move my Beast Wars and Machine Wars collection from Japan to Australia. That was _not_ cheap. I would recommend starting as early as possible and shipping your toys off in lots.

I cannot imagine moving my entire TF collection overseas though. When I moved to Japan I just packed all my G1 and G2 Transformers into boxes and left them at my parents house... but of course I understand that not everyone may have that opportunity.

It's hard enough just moving my Transformers across to another suburb!
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/transformers_packed.jpg

Sky Shadow
15th February 2010, 09:59 PM
Hi,

Naturally it's possible to get your stuff shipped overseas, it's just not always practical. If you're going to be moving somewhere small, travelling around, living in a group house, not settled in one house etc. it might not be logical to take your collection with you. If you know you have a permanent house with space and security then you can always pack them up into boxes and ship them over with you.

langzixinxin
15th February 2010, 10:01 PM
As far as I know is,

You can ship your stuff by surface (boat). They usually charge 1 cube metre for about 450AUD something, regardless the weight.

what I want to know is,

how many toys 1 cubic metre can fit? or by experience, would that be safer to put in box? or warp up in clothes, or other way?

langzixinxin
15th February 2010, 10:06 PM
I had to move my Beast Wars and Machine Wars collection from Japan to Australia. That was _not_ cheap. I would recommend starting as early as possible and shipping your toys off in lots.

I cannot imagine moving my entire TF collection overseas though. When I moved to Japan I just packed all my G1 and G2 Transformers into boxes and left them at my parents house... but of course I understand that not everyone may have that opportunity.

It's hard enough just moving my Transformers across to another suburb!
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/transformers_packed.jpg

The picture you showed, how many cubic metres are they roughly?

kup
15th February 2010, 10:12 PM
You can fit a lot of toys in one cubic meter if you don't include boxes and pack the loose toys very tightly together and in their smallest transformed mode. In turn you can help yourself by not taking any clothes and standard luggage with you and just fill yours suitcases with toys.

I estimate that I may be able to put all my toys in less than 2 cubic meters if I exclude much of the fluff.

Wheel-J
15th February 2010, 10:29 PM
As far as I know is,

You can ship your stuff by surface (boat). They usually charge 1 cube metre for about 450AUD something, regardless the weight.

what I want to know is,

how many toys 1 cubic metre can fit? or by experience, would that be safer to put in box? or warp up in clothes, or other way?

If your considering your items to be shipped by sea, I'd suggest you buy those plastic tubs (w/ cover) that would fit inside a 1 m3 box space. That way you'll have some sturdy support on your items instead of just using the standard shipping boxes which are just usually made of cartons/thick carboard materials. And in between that box and your plastic tubs is where your clothes can go or any soft materials to fill in the space and provide some cushioning from any bumps and squeezing during shipping. If you'd go this way, you can see for yourself how many toys can fit inside those tubs. These tubs are avaialble almost everywhere but I'd recommend those less tapered type to maximize your cargo space.

Kyle
16th February 2010, 09:56 AM
Very good idea!

kup
16th February 2010, 11:37 AM
If your considering your items to be shipped by sea, I'd suggest you buy those plastic tubs (w/ cover) that would fit inside a 1 m3 box space. That way you'll have some sturdy support on your items instead of just using the standard shipping boxes which are just usually made of cartons/thick carboard materials. And in between that box and your plastic tubs is where your clothes can go or any soft materials to fill in the space and provide some cushioning from any bumps and squeezing during shipping. If you'd go this way, you can see for yourself how many toys can fit inside those tubs. These tubs are avaialble almost everywhere but I'd recommend those less tapered type to maximize your cargo space.

That's what I used when I moved place.

heroic_decepticon
16th February 2010, 12:13 PM
If you are shipping things in boxes or carton style, shipping by sea is definitely not recommended.

Check out freight forwarding. It's a cheap commercial method of using excess cargo space in commercial planes to fly things by air form one country to another. I've moved countries many times and what I've done is arrange the freight fowarders to pick up my stuff a week before I fly and when I touch down at my destination a week later, all my stuff is there at the airport already.

The catch is that you have to pick our cargo up from the airport itself or alternatively arrange for a courier (could be expensive) to pick them up and send them to your new place. Or you can ask a friend or rent a van or something.

jetta.com.au was the company I used but there are many such companies out there. In 2006, I shipped about 15 carton boxes or stuff (including transformers) at a weight of about 250kgs total for about $450. In SG, I paid another $70 for a courier to send these to my apartment (this is not the expensive type courier but the commercial type which the freight forwarder or the airport would be able to recommend).

If you have lots of things and by this I mean an entire apartment full, I recommend just renting a container. This is the type that goes on ships, unfortunately. A container can fit an apartment full of stuff, including all your furniture and it would cost in the region of $1500 to $2000 (not sure, usually company pays), but also depending on destination. Down side of this is time.

If you're shipping stuff to HK, I don't foresee it being more expensive than say shipping stuff to AU from other places because HK is along the main shipping routes.

kristofferrer
16th February 2010, 04:22 PM
Ligeprime might.