PDA

View Full Version : Review - TF2 ROTF Mindwipe

Kyle
16th February 2010, 01:44 AM
http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee16/Kyle_Chow/Toy%20Review%2015%20Feb%202010/d6ffb8d4.jpg

Review - ROTF Mindwipe
Series - Hasbro TF2 Revenge of the Fallen
Size - Voyager
New/remould/redeco - New
Wave -
Released here - Soon
Approximate Retail Price - Voyager class price point
Approximate Size -
Allegiance - Decepticons
Alt-mode - Stealth Fighter Jet
Main Features/Gimmicks - Mech Alive (extending micro-blades on wings and flip down knives), can combine with Scout Class Skystalker
Main Colours - Dark grey and red
Main Accessories - None removable
My Difficulty rating (out of 5) - 3
Stability - Very good in both modes
Poseability/articulation - Very good
Playability - Nice transformation. Quite playable in robot mode.
My Thoughts - Very good looking vehicle mode. Robot parts are exposed underneath but you can hardly tell buy looking from the side. Good looking bat-like robot. Poseability is decent. Recommended.
Overall Recommendation Rating (out of 10) - 8 (Buy it)

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee16/Kyle_Chow/Toy%20Review%2015%20Feb%202010/f9b59de6.jpg

lcz128
16th February 2010, 06:39 AM
Gah!!! He hath arriveth here!?!? I do want to pick him and skystalker up!!
Funny how I skipped just about everything in rotf but am being sucked in by these.

Will have to check out the sighting threads...

Kyle
16th February 2010, 09:22 AM
I got mine from eBay along with Arcee, Ratchet and other toys to save on shipping. :p

He can be put in some nice ninja poses. I'll take more pics later.

Lord_Zed
16th February 2010, 07:29 PM
That looks rather nice actualy. i wont pay the big bucks for him, but if i see him on sale I might have to get him. i do love the abundance of jet alt mode TF"S the ROTF line has spawned.

Firestorm
17th February 2010, 02:26 AM
I got Mindwipe on Saturday and i think it's fantastic
he has decent poseability and can stand quite well and he looks really cool
before i bought him i had to ask a friend if they were ok with me buying it since they also wanted mindwipe, he was busy looking at gundam models at the time so he just siad he didnt care, we get back to my place later that day and open the stuff we bought and when it came to opening mindwipe every few seconds my friend would say things like "ok i'm starting to care" "im starting to care more" "I really want mindwipe" "he's so cool, i want him!"
haha ... uhh so yeah mindwipe is cool buy it definatly

lcz128
17th February 2010, 07:00 AM
I got Mindwipe on Saturday and i think it's fantastic
he has decent poseability and can stand quite well and he looks really cool
before i bought him i had to ask a friend if they were ok with me buying it since they also wanted mindwipe, he was busy looking at gundam models at the time so he just siad he didnt care, we get back to my place later that day and open the stuff we bought and when it came to opening mindwipe every few seconds my friend would say things like "ok i'm starting to care" "im starting to care more" "I really want mindwipe" "he's so cool, i want him!"
haha ... uhh so yeah mindwipe is cool buy it definatly

Wow where did u get him in Melbourne and for how much? :o

GoktimusPrime
18th February 2010, 09:00 PM
I don't like how the knives can't be put away or repositioned upright. :( Otherwise it's a neat toy. I like the automorphmech alive gimmick on the wings - simple yet elegant. :) I also like the overall sculpting, particularly on the head (for which the box art and pictures don't quite do it enough justice).

Firestorm
18th February 2010, 11:29 PM
Wow where did u get him in Melbourne and for how much? :o

I got him from Minotaur in Melbourne last week for $60 (imported from America) but now most Kmarts have begun stocking Mindwipe for $50, saw them at kmart northland today

Lord_Zed
19th February 2010, 01:25 PM
So does he actualy have any sort of interconectivity with Sky Stalker, who is also quite sinister and bat like.

iceburn
19th February 2010, 03:22 PM
So does he actualy have any sort of interconectivity with Sky Stalker, who is also quite sinister and bat like.

sky stalker just pegs down to mindwipe. no gimmick.

here's the youtube link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch#playnext=1&playnext_from=TL&videos=-uBfReYYg8o&v=DzV69frlZGY

lcz128
19th February 2010, 03:31 PM
I just picked him up!!
Opinions to come!

Kyle
20th February 2010, 10:48 AM
You have a Skystalker too? ;)

kurdt_the_goat
21st February 2010, 02:17 AM
Picked up a Mindwipe today, and personally i think he's the best Voyager in the line to date. Just excellent all-round. Looking at his spring-loaded chest plate, i think the only thing missing is SPD, STR & INT tampo's inside :D

iceburn
21st February 2010, 10:01 AM

who?? u,me or lcz?
i do...

lcz128
21st February 2010, 12:06 PM

nooooooooooooo

have tried at many-a-location but no dice :(

Grievous
21st February 2010, 10:49 PM
So I finally opened my Mindwipe...Transformed him...stood him up and...
wait a second...why won't he stand up straight...he keeps falling forward...
WTF? On No...One of his ankle joints is cracked!
:mad:

K-Mart better have another one or else I'll throw mud at them...
:p

But I have to say...bad ankle or not...Mindwipe truly is
a fantastic figure...his colors, his design, his pop up (down?)
blades...he's 100% bad ass...
:D

lcz128
22nd February 2010, 05:06 PM
So, now that I have had a chance to open him up and play with him, I have developed some opinions of the fellow.
First things first : to ke, mindwipe is a decepticon headmaster cause I grew up watching the Japanese g1series. He is supposed to look like this fugly looking failbat and looks a tad silly.

Not so withthis one though! The alt mode is this sleek looking jet! Nice!! The transformation isn't too complicated, nice and elegant with all the twists and turns you have to do to transform him. As mentioned by someone else, the spring panel for the chest really is just missing the chest tech specs! heh.

Also, I like this so much as a classics item that I have already done some modding to the guy...

Can you see where? :D
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/lcz128_photos/Transformers/de1d42d6.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/lcz128_photos/Transformers/96ef00b3.jpg

Doubledealer
22nd February 2010, 08:58 PM
Wow, the legs look way better like that! Hmm, tempted to pick him up now. :p

Grievous
22nd February 2010, 09:14 PM
So I'm a happy camper now...K-Mart swapped over
my damaged Mindwipe for a new one...Sweet!
:D

You know...the more I look at him...the more I like him...

Wait a second...did I just type that?
:confused:

:p

SharkyMcShark
23rd February 2010, 03:57 AM
If I'm being honest I'm slightly underwhelmed. I was on the fence about this but I saw how sleek his jet mode was and went for him based off that.

Robot mode doesn't really do it for me, but jet mode is realllly nice. The connected mode is kind of pointless (I'm still fiddling around trying to find a fan made that has Skystalker sort of as a FAST pack style thing - as opposed to just sitting on top of him)

iceburn
23rd February 2010, 01:56 PM
nooooooooooooo

have tried at many-a-location but no dice :(

i saw plenty.. you want me to grab 1-2 for you?
any help from STL, blackie or the others?

loophole
23rd February 2010, 07:54 PM
man alot of the new rotf figures are looking so cool

Pipesqueak
23rd February 2010, 10:26 PM
I don't like how the knives can't be put away or repositioned upright.

Maybe it's just because it's winter olympics time but I can't help but keep seeing him as skiing with really short poles.

kurdt_the_goat
23rd February 2010, 10:51 PM
I'm not fussed with the limitations on the knife. I just imagine it's like many animations in the cartoons, where the hand disappears to be replaced (like G1 Prime's ax, or G1 Megatron's mace). At least with Mindwipe, they gave him 2 hands, instead of just a weapon on one, like like a lot of the ROTF Bumblebee toys.

Kyle
24th February 2010, 08:36 PM
MUCH BETTER combination from the mind of a Hong Kong fan:

http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/ac254/lu_awaken_bucket/MIND_SKY25.jpg

All the details here:

http://www.hk-tf.com/discuz/upload/viewthread.php?tid=16543

:)

lcz128
24th February 2010, 09:38 PM
MUCH BETTER combination from the mind of a Hong Kong fan:

http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/ac254/lu_awaken_bucket/MIND_SKY25.jpg

All the details here:

http://www.hk-tf.com/discuz/upload/viewthread.php?tid=16543

:)

AWESOME.
And I see he also did the knee shavings that I did too! As it gives him NORMAL KNEES :D and he doesn't have to have the weird leg bends!

AWESOMEEEE I really want one of these :( Anyone in melb see them at regular retail price? icey - where'd u see yours? I'm too impatient that I want to be able to get it in my hands ASAP! :D

Doubledealer
24th February 2010, 09:55 PM
Damn, those pictures make him look HAWT. Ahh, if only I didn't have a strict cast-only policy when it comes to movie toys... :D

kurdt_the_goat
24th February 2010, 10:16 PM
The end result is pretty cool, but it's a bit of a pain getting there thanks to all of Skystalker's balljointed arms! It sure looks like this was the designers intention all along, with Mindwipe's chest cavity springs and Skystalker's slightly odd front wheel style. Glad it was found, thanks Kyle!

Paulbot
24th February 2010, 10:32 PM
If only Skystalker had been called Vorath :)

Mr Ed
24th February 2010, 11:49 PM
I just picked him up tonight.

When I saw him at Kmart following the pics on this forum I had to buy him.

I also picked up Optimus Prime too. Although I think I have 4 versions of Optimus now? The red version, battled damaged version, the ROTF version and the blue version! Talk about beating an old mould to death! :p

Tetsuwan Convoy
25th February 2010, 12:55 AM
Just excellent all-round. Looking at his spring-loaded chest plate, i think the only thing missing is SPD, STR & INT tampo's inside :D

A removeable head and any other kind of relation to G1 mindwipe is missing as well.

Honestly, I see nothing, except the bat-ness in this figure that has any relation to Mindwipe. I reckon it would be better off as a War Within style Ratbat rather than Mindwipe.

It is a very cool figure and I do like both modes quite a lot, I just don't feel and "Mindwipe" vibe off this at all.

GAH! Finally managed to get Skystalker in there! Looks pretty good. If it was designed this way, I see why they didn't include it, Hasbro instuctions would have made it impossible to understand whats going on....:rolleyes:

Kyle
25th February 2010, 01:30 AM
I have the same feeling too. He doesn't look much like G1 Mindwipe nor have the same alt-mode or the headmaster gimmick. G1 Mindwipe transforms into a giant bat while this new toy transforms from a stealth fighter jet into a bat-like robot. That's about the only similarity. With that said though, most of the other ROTF toys have a vehicle alt-mode and look nothing much like their G1 counterparts, so I can't imagine Hasbro would give us a giant movie bat and maybe this ROTF representation is about as Mindwipe as we can get.

GoktimusPrime
25th February 2010, 01:02 PM
Read ROTF Mindwipe's tech specs. He has the ability to hypnotise, although Optimus Prime has been rendered immune ever since he was ressurected by the Matrix of Leadership.

The Mindwipe toy is more similar to his G1 counterpart than say, Skystalker... or Jolt (vs. the original G2 Decepticon!)

Kyle
25th February 2010, 01:11 PM
I read the tech specs when I first got the toy. But both the name and tech specs could have been finalised long after a toy has been designed.

Tetsuwan Convoy
25th February 2010, 03:41 PM
I read the tech specs when I first got the toy. But both the name and tech specs could have been finalised long after a toy has been designed.

Ditto. I still feel that the homage should be in the form/look of the toy, not the bio. IMO.

GoktimusPrime
25th February 2010, 03:50 PM
I think a _lot_ of the movie Transformers look nothing like their original counterparts. Part of the fun I had with making the G1/Movie Comparison thread (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=6709) was looking at how many of the movie characters look so different from their originals! e.g.: Jetfire, Barricade, Wheelie, Blackout, Rampage, Demolishor, Skystalker, Fearswoop etc. There's lots of movie TFs who look entirely different from their original counterparts -- why suddenly single Mindwipe out?

Gutsman Heavy
25th February 2010, 04:01 PM
why suddenly single Mindwipe out?

indeed what about, Blackout, Skids, Wheelie, Ironhide, Ratchet or any of the bots who aren't Optimus or Bumblebee?

Kyle
25th February 2010, 04:06 PM
With that said though, most of the other ROTF toys have a vehicle alt-mode and look nothing much like their G1 counterparts, so I can't imagine Hasbro would give us a giant movie bat and maybe this ROTF representation is about as Mindwipe as we can get.

I actually had no issue with ROTF Mindwipe not looking like G1 Mindwipe and have been perfectly happy about it. If I didn't like the toy, my review in this thread would have been very different. Just simply stating my opinion that the two toys physically share very little in similarity, no matter how much I like the toy or how much homage was written into the tech specs.

Tetsuwan Convoy
25th February 2010, 04:08 PM
There's lots of movie TFs who look entirely different from their original counterparts -- why suddenly single Mindwipe out?

Coz Mindwipe was my first and Favourite Headmaster. I have emotional investment into him;). I am not "Suddenly" singling mindwipe out, its just the first time I have mentioned it on the board.

Tetsuwan Convoy
18th March 2010, 10:07 AM
Just crusing some blogs and found another combination option with MW and SS.
http://mizuakuta2.seesaa.net/article/143915122.html

iceburn
18th March 2010, 10:35 AM
Just crusing some blogs and found another combination option with MW and SS.
http://mizuakuta2.seesaa.net/article/143915122.html

this combi looks silly :D

Tetsuwan Convoy
21st March 2010, 02:38 AM
this combi looks silly :D

Reminds me of the psychic alien from "Total Recall"

Autocon
29th March 2010, 12:30 PM
opened him up. couple minor paint app flaws but overall a good mold. didnt like the feet felt like canoes similar to sonar/depthcharge. couldnt get the knives to work when locking back in place.

Ode to a Grasshopper
29th March 2010, 03:31 PM
Come to think of it, he'd make a good Banzitron repaint.

christalcase
29th March 2010, 10:38 PM
opened him up. couple minor paint app flaws but overall a good mold. didnt like the feet felt like canoes similar to sonar/depthcharge. couldnt get the knives to work when locking back in place.

if wat I interpret is rite, u cant get da knives to lock onto the latch like it's sposed to? if so, I think u havent extended/pushed the wrists far enough, joints may be tight but wen done rite, feels like da hands r just slightly overextended and the latch would work

on another note, just noticed da otha day when posing mine, dat mindwipe's feel can fold in a little bit, as in to the sides inward, dis lets his feet rest flush against da surface even wen his legs are positioned more apart (instead of just the sides resting)

GoktimusPrime
30th March 2010, 07:31 PM
:confused::confused::confused:

Lord_Zed
30th March 2010, 09:45 PM
Reminds me of the psychic alien from "Total Recall"

You mean Quato? "Quaid, Quaid!!!" :D

I like that comob, it's imaginative and different from the norm. I wish Kmart would have a sale though I'm still not paying $50 for Mindwipe though.

Tetsuwan Convoy
30th March 2010, 10:15 PM
You mean Quato? "Quaid, Quaid!!!" :D

I like that comob, it's imaginative and different from the norm. I wish Kmart would have a sale though I'm still not paying $50 for Mindwipe though.

LOL! Thats the one ;) Quato.

There are enough Mindwipes in the shops, I reckon he will be floating around long enough to go on sale.

Tallestblue
10th April 2010, 09:08 PM
Mindwipe is sweeeet. Especially with skystalker crammed inside him. The strange robo-eroticism of the combo notwithstanding. Although I don't clip Skysltalker's axes to his shins I clip them onto Mindwipe's blades. Is it just my imagination or are these fanmods untintentionally intentional? It all just seems to work mechanically and visually.

Ode to a Grasshopper
11th December 2016, 08:31 PM
Apologies for the necro-thread-bump, but I just got around to opening and messing around with the Mindwipe I picked up a few years back. I tend to do that a lot - picking up a TF and not opening it for months/years later.

This is a really nice toy. Not quite leader Starscream (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=7931&highlight=leader+starscream)-level nice, but still pretty damn good.

Much as I'm not a Bayformers fan, when the Movie series designers get it right, the really get it right. Mindwipe here is one of the times when they got it right. :)