PDA

View Full Version : Who's That Hot Rod?

Towers_Spy
19th February 2010, 11:26 AM
Hey guys, one of my friends just pulled this figure out of his childhood toybox where he says its been stashed unceremoniously under a bunch of hot wheels cars for years..
Just wondering if anyone knows what kind/year this Hot Rod is, I'm thinking a reissue but Giles (born in 1987) says he had it when he was like, 4 or 5.

Its almost perfect condition considering its treatment :p

(apologies for the bad photos..)

1AZRAEL1
19th February 2010, 11:30 AM
Without a closer shot of the engine, IMO it could either be Normal Hot Rod or Targemaster Hot Rod. TM Hot Rod has a larger hole in the top of the engine to accomodate for the TM.

Sky Shadow
19th February 2010, 11:53 AM
If it was bought for him at that time first-hand and he's literally had it since he was four or five then it would have to be an unsold toy left on the shelves for five or six years (there was no 1992ish Chinese reissue of Hot Rod.) If he actually got it later than that and he's misremembering by about a decade then Hot Rod was reissued here at Toys 'R' Us around 2002.

We'd need to see a photo of the fist peg holes to know if it's the Targetmaster version.

kup
19th February 2010, 12:29 PM
I am inclined to think its the Targetmaster version given the plastic toes and the very rough time estimate in which it was bought. However it could be the plastic variation of normal Hotrod too.

A photo of his fist peg holes would help much in the identification. If he is the Targetmaster version, try to look for Firebolt within the toy box.

Towers_Spy
19th February 2010, 01:15 PM
If he actually got it later than that and he's misremembering by about a decade then Hot Rod was reissued here at Toys 'R' Us around 2002

I doubt he got it that late, he's not the toy-appreciating-after-childhood type.

I tried taking some pics of the engine hole and fist pegs but my camera couldn't cooperate with the small subject matter, but they all measure just on 4mm diameter. Dont know if that helps at all with the diagnosis :p

Sky Shadow
19th February 2010, 01:45 PM
I doubt he got it that late, he's not the toy-appreciating-after-childhood type.

I tried taking some pics of the engine hole and fist pegs but my camera couldn't cooperate with the small subject matter, but they all measure just on 4mm diameter. Dont know if that helps at all with the diagnosis :p

Then it's the second version of original 1986 Hot Rod with plastic toes. That's the only thing it can be, actually, so that's the answer to your question. :) (Thus he's missing two guns.)

griffin
19th February 2010, 03:37 PM
I think all the reissues, by Hasbro and Takara, had metal toes and rubber wheels (and the TM reissue had different side-flame stickers). If that is true, the toy in the photos should be the Targetmaster version (1987), or the plastic-toed regular version (1986).
My eyes are telling me that the engine block has the bigger hole for the Targetmaster version, but the best thing would be to bring it to a Melb meet, and someone should be able to tell straight away which one it is.
Or, if you have a Targetmaster weapon at all, just see if it will plug into the hands or engine block. The holes are a different size between the two versions.

Towers_Spy
19th February 2010, 04:39 PM
Thanks guys :p at least thats narrows it down to two options. I dont think there's much hope in seeing either his guns or Firebolt (to confirm his Targetmaster-ness) so perhaps I will bring him to a meet sometime :)

"on the next episode of Who Do You Think You Are, Hot Rod discovers with the help of subject experts, just who he really is..."

:p

Lint
19th February 2010, 04:52 PM
I agree with Griffin, that engine block hole is way too large to be the regular hot rod. Also what is up with those leg stickers?

Photography tip: use the macro focus mode (usually symbolised by a solid tulip shape) to take close up pics. Also if you have shaky hands like me, use the shaky adjustment mode if your camera features it.

Sky Shadow
19th February 2010, 07:44 PM
If it is the Targetmaster version though, they should be 5mm holes - 4 would be too small.

Towers_Spy
19th February 2010, 08:37 PM
Also what is up with those leg stickers?

haha dont ask me man, it was donated to me like that :p you should've seen the ancient decepticon stickers that were all over it :rolleyes: damn kids haha

If it is the Targetmaster version though, they should be 5mm holes - 4 would be too small.

Thats what I thought. I've been looking up reference pics and the engine block hole from the TM is really big, this one doesnt seem to be that big. And it is only just 4mm diam. along with the hand pegs.. Who knows :p

kgb2005
20th February 2010, 03:10 AM
Just curious to know but is the new cyclonus figure's TM is the peg hole for that the same size as a 1980's TM peg in diameter? Because I was thinking if all the TM's have the same peg size in diameter then wouldn't the new cyclonus one fit it and then you could tell. I can't view the pictures better because of my status but it's just an idea.

GoktimusPrime
20th February 2010, 10:16 AM
Also what is up with those leg stickers?
They're from another Transformer. A Decepticon I think... gah it's on the tip of my brain but I can't think of it! When someone else points it out I'll be going, "Of course!" -- damn I hate these moments. :p

Sky Shadow
20th February 2010, 11:15 AM
They're from another Transformer. A Decepticon I think... gah it's on the tip of my brain but I can't think of it! When someone else points it out I'll be going, "Of course!" -- damn I hate these moments. :p

They're G1 Dirge's back-of-his-shoulders stickers.