PDA

View Full Version : Good free blogging

Tetsuwan Convoy
10th March 2010, 07:23 PM
Since I have been photgraphing lots of toys lately, but have nothing to do with said photos once done, I am toying with the idea of setting up a blog, it will mainly focus on toys (of course), but will have a bit of politics and ranting when I feel like and therefore will have a mature focus.

Being a cheap barstard and thinking everything on the internet is free, I naturally want a place that is free.:rolleyes:

Anybody have any recommendations?

Paulbot
10th March 2010, 08:59 PM
I've used Livejournal, Blogger and Wordpress.

Livejournal is more community focused and doesn't do image hosting well.

Blogger is quite good. You get a lot of control over the blog's template which I liked. It's Google owned though which on one hand gives you more traffic to your blog but on the otherhand do you want Google's computers getting more data on you? They push the make money from your blog angle a bit too much for my liking.

Wordpress is what I currently use and apart from very limited access to control your template, even when you pay for it, I find it good for the way it handles comments. It also provides better inbuilt stats.

kaiden
10th March 2010, 09:53 PM
i've been wanting to blog for a few months now. but didnt really have the time to put one up. i'll have to revisit the idea soon :3

Kyle
11th March 2010, 12:46 AM
Tets, I just made a Blogger account a couple of weeks ago... but to this day I haven't written a single thing... :o

http://kylechow.blogspot.com/

Saintly
11th March 2010, 09:59 AM
Blogger is handy if you already have a google account and don't want anymore username and password to remember.

Tetsuwan Convoy
13th March 2010, 08:29 PM
Tets, I just made a Blogger account a couple of weeks ago... but to this day I haven't written a single thing... :o

http://kylechow.blogspot.com/

Looks a lot like my Myspace account...:rolleyes:

Thanks for the sites guys, I am checking some of them out now. Next thing is to find time to blog....:D

GoktimusPrime
14th March 2010, 01:27 PM
I strongly advise that you set your blog to private so that only invited friends can view it. This is especially important for you when you become a teacher as you won't want any of your students (as well as their parents/family/friends etc.) finding and reading any personal or controversial rantings/thoughts.

Sky Shadow
14th March 2010, 02:10 PM
I strongly advise that you set your blog to private so that only invited friends can view it. This is especially important for you when you become a teacher as you won't want any of your students (as well as their parents/family/friends etc.) finding and reading any personal or controversial rantings/thoughts.

Or just make it sufficiently anonymous that no one can tell it's you.

SMHFConvoy
14th March 2010, 05:53 PM

As long as you don't discuss work and specifics that relate to that you can keep it public. Other than that I suggest Live Journal where you can set posts to Friends, Public or Private. I have a LJ and I regularly discuss work but I set it all to Friends.

GoktimusPrime
14th March 2010, 07:13 PM
As long as you don't discuss work and specifics that relate to that you can keep it public.
Depends on the content. When some of my students started finding my videos I quickly deleted any videos which might upset them or their families. All my YouTube videos are now just TF related. And I can't subscribe or favourite a lot of videos that I like (e.g.: Dr. Richard Dawkins) because I know that a lot of kids are from conservative right wing (and often religious) families, and it's just not worth it if a kid finds my channel then looks up one of my favourites or subscriptions to find another user's video which they and/or their family find upsetting.

So it's probably fine to publicly blog some things, like your TF photos and your thoughts about toys etc., but for other things like political rantings with a mature focus, then I'd recommend keeping those private (thereby ensuring you have a mature audience).

Anyway, it's just my suggestion - take it or leave it.

liegeprime
14th March 2010, 10:30 PM
So reading all thru this, Blogger is free? Yes? NO fees whatsoever, ever?

Oh and I clicked on the link Kyle posted.... tombstones & tumbleweeds :p:D:D

jaydisc
15th March 2010, 12:13 AM
tumblr (http://tumblr.com)!!!!!!

Blogger is hideous.

Tetsuwan Convoy
15th March 2010, 12:44 AM

Or just make it sufficiently anonymous that no one can tell it's you.

Yeh, I have ebough issues with putting excess information about myself on the net, so much so that I even advise my work collegues that I dont want my photo up on their myspace pages. At least with pics here, there is no record of my real name. So I was going to keep it at an anonymous distance and probably avoid mentioning it to any kids I may end up teaching.

Food for thought though. A lot more to it now that I take future job prospects into consideration.