PDA

View Full Version : Headmasters DVD Boxset Review.

turtle boy
13th March 2008, 08:33 PM
Ok well, I couldn't find it on the forum anywhere, so I'll review what i have seen so far.

At first, I wasn't entirely sure about watching this thing. Being an all Japanese context, but I then listened to the English dub, and as Benben would say, "GRRR". Its awful.

Any who, after watching 5 or so episodes, switching between the English and Japanese Audio, I realized that, watching it with the Japanese Audio and English Subs made more sense.

Now, so far, with the death of Prime (again), Blaster and Soundwave's demise and res erection (explaining the origin of the Soundblaster and Blue Blaster's... What was his name? Oh yeah! Twincast. Now the Two of them toys make sense to me). The show hasn't been that shocking, weird, yes. But not that shocking, with the Japanese series totally ignoring the US's season 4 attempts, by coming up with they're own idea of the creation of the Headmasters, the show, to me, hasn't really changed witch is nice..

The voice acting has been quite well done, I think. With the Japanese actors giving it a half arsed attempt to sound a little like they're US counterparts. Apart from not understanding a word they are saying, I cant find anything wrong with it... Sept for Wheelie and Daniel, they should be erased:D

The music score has been tolerable, every now and then I feel like Instruments of Destruction is about to start playing or, Lion's TFTM theme will blast out, and I like that, but some parts remind me of people in cars with the bass turned up to loud, or the inside of a dance club that plays only techno down side for me, but I can live with it. To each they're own remember.

Well, thats my two cents, for now anyway. I will return and update my review when i get further into the series. Anyone wishes to add they're bit, feel free to do so.

TB.

1orion2many
13th March 2008, 09:09 PM
:eek:Well I think you are being kind as I have finally finished watching all but the last episode. Let me just say I never doze off watching Transformer cartoons but I seem to do it on a regular basis trying to flog through this series.I must admit it has made me want to chase down Twincast and Soundblaster but other than that I don't think I'll put myself through this coma again:rolleyes::D.

autobreadticon
13th March 2008, 09:11 PM
haha nice review, i loved it the episode where sparkplug gets hurt, with the english sub, every1 is repeately saying his name as Sparkles.

The music soundtrack is corny like the G1 , which i loved because it helped create mood, especially of sorrow.

Overall really enjoyable, all characters had unique personally, except for this two-headed dragon who makes a weird cameo....

GoktimusPrime
13th March 2008, 09:20 PM
That's Doublecross. In the G1 comics he was a conscientious objector to the Autobot-Decepticon war.

turtle boy
13th March 2008, 10:14 PM
:eek:Well I think you are being kind as I have finally finished watching all but the last episode. Let me just say I never doze off watching Transformer cartoons but I seem to do it on a regular basis trying to flog through this series

I got half way threw the Planet Beast Episode and got tired, its all the reading and trying to watch the show at the same time that dose it.

I'm not going to stop watching it, I will finish it, however, I don't know if I will return and watch it again. All depends on how I'm felling at the time.
But so far, liking it.

This Planet Beast Ep is starting to feel like Carnage in C Minor from Season 3 for me. But We'll see.

Gutsman Heavy
13th March 2008, 11:11 PM
urgh a horrible series, so bland I had to watch it with the dub so I could at least laugh my way through it rather than die of boredom, that said I'll still get Masterforce since its sopposedly a much better show.

Paulbot
14th March 2008, 08:07 AM
I've stalled on Headmasters at about episode 12 but am loving Masterfoce.

kup
14th March 2008, 08:23 AM
I managed Headmasters and didn't mind it as much although I do agree with the criticism as it is dull and some bits seem very uninspired. Felt as if the people making it weren't interested at all.

However as Paulbot, myself and others have said, Masterforce is a great series and much, much better than Headmasters although from people who only know G1 by the US cartoon, it may require some getting used to.

Paulbot
14th March 2008, 08:39 AM
In Headmasters I'm a bit put off by seeing such season three animation and characters with out the familar voices and music. It feels like I'm watching a foreign language dub of something that feels like it should be in English.

Whereas with Masterforce it's so different from the US cartoon that I don't feel that way, and I adapted to the Masterforce characters easily because I haven't seen those characters in animation before.

1orion2many
14th March 2008, 10:30 AM
:)I've got Masterforce but refused to watch it until I finished flogging through Headmsaters.:)

GoktimusPrime
14th March 2008, 02:58 PM
Masterforce does make some reference to Headmasters, so it is advisable to finish watching The Headmasters first.

The Headmasters is definitely the weakest of the Japanese series - so if you skipped ahead and watched Masterforce and Victory, you won't want to go back and watch Headmasters. ;) Still, Headmasters is a LOT better than The Rebirth IMO.

kup
14th March 2008, 03:27 PM
Masterforce does make some reference to Headmasters, so it is advisable to finish watching The Headmasters first.

The Headmasters is definitely the weakest of the Japanese series - so if you skipped ahead and watched Masterforce and Victory, you won't want to go back and watch Headmasters. ;) Still, Headmasters is a LOT better than The Rebirth IMO.

Yeah but its so tiny that its hardly worth mentioning. If you know who Chromedome is, that's pretty much enough.

GoktimusPrime
14th March 2008, 05:04 PM
yeah but it also mentions/references what happens to Chromedome and the Autobots at the end of Headmasters.

turtle boy
16th March 2008, 01:29 PM
Well, I just finished the first disk, after a day's break. The last Episodes were hard to concentrate on, because of a certain female and the fact that I had to read subtitles..

After finishing EP 5, Rebellion on Planet Beast, I was pritty tired of reading subs and hearing season 3 and 4 characters par-trade with unfamiliar voices, but reminded my self watch it and you can be ruler of the world.... Yeah Right!

On the 14th watched The Approach of the Demon Meteorite before I left for work. I quite liked the Episode, everything but the being twisted out of shape thing... It wasn't a bad idea, I felt, but the way it was animated is what turned me off it. But a good Ep none the less.

I had a rest from Headmasters for a day, buy cleaning my brain with some US G1 dvds and answering some Q&A in the G1 Question game.

I felt like watching Headmasters last night, but thought if I watch to much in a short amount of time, I will get really bored of it really quickly. So watched Matilda (review coming soon:P) instead while waiting for Terminator 2 to come on. What a Kick arse movie that is, I fell asleep on the couch after the fist half hour :D

Episode 7, The Four Million Year Old Veil of Mystery, long enough name you ask your self? As much as I liked this ep, I also had my dislikes about it. This is where the Japanese really go bush and away from the US story line, by telling the story about how the Headmasters were in fact around 4 Million years ago. Ok, thats all well and good, but, what made me think twice about this ep and how believable it is, was. The Autobot Headmasters, after getting stuck in the sand on Planet Praun could get free, by simply swapping heads and transforming, but were unable to get out or transform when they had they're own heads, it just diden't do it for me... And when the Decepticon HMs swapped heads they were still pwned. For me it's just not creditable.

Second last Ep of disk one, Terror of the Six Shadows. I enjoyed this Ep a lot, but, it was quite clearly Sixhot that was the attacker, even when he was engulfed in shadow. How the hell the Autobots, and worse, the Deceptions coulen't see that is beyond even Computron, I asked him my self, he's in my kitchen cooking beans. All in all, I liked the first disk and I know that this second half of my review is a little different then my first, is because, my brain is over come with thoughts and it's about to over heat.

Thanks all, and until I force down the next disk, this Review is on pause..

TB