PDA

View Full Version : I got glass!

Hammerstorm
13th March 2010, 12:23 AM
About a month back i was at work toiling away as you do (ok well i was) when then suddenly CRuNCh! ZAPPO! the pain oh the pain s*&$ WTF! My arm felt like it was going to shoot fire!! (which if it had it would have been cool, could have lived with that :)) but no..

It went away briefly so i decided what the hell, i'll keep at it. Several days had passed and it was still painful, but not to bad. I assumed that i may have stretched something or torn a muscle and given a few weeks it be A OK. Well was i wrong. It had got somewhat progressively worse but I could still do a lot of things but if i turned my arm the wrong way, picked up something a little heavy or even just touched it. (yes hand shakes have been something to avoid) it felt like my whole arm would just blow up.

A week ago this wacky feeling was moving into my shoulder, neck and then the headaches started. 4 days ago and with some nag.. oh i mean coaching from my ever loving fiancee. I went to see the local quack. After a couple 100 dollars (oh my poor wallet) and a considerable amount of pain i was surprised to find out that......

I have 3 freaking shards of glass in my arm. No early onset superpowers F!@# dam it.

They have been in there for about 8 years at my guess. I mean that was the only time i could think of when erm.. i came unintentionaly Intimate with a sheet of glass...oh well.

kaiden
13th March 2010, 08:26 AM
8 years and no super powers? your fiancee must have been the most disappointed one.

so did you get them removed?

loophole
13th March 2010, 08:55 AM
all i can say is OW!!

5FDP
13th March 2010, 12:57 PM
Ouch :eek: Did it take much to have them removed?

Hammerstorm
14th March 2010, 10:59 PM
8 years and no super powers? your fiancee must have been the most disappointed one.

so did you get them removed?

some super powers are to remain secrets! :p

and to answer no :( my 3 little aliens are here to stay for the time being.

5FDP
15th March 2010, 08:46 AM
some super powers are to remain secrets! :p

and to answer no :( my 3 little aliens are here to stay for the time being.

Surely you'll have to have them removed considering the amount of discomfort it causes you?? I'm guessing that it's your decision to leave it for now as I can't imagine any doctor suggesting that it's OK to have shards of glass floating around and shredding your innards...

A similar thing happened to me a couple of years back when a drunken trip to the fridge to grab another bottle of beer resulted in the bottom 'falling out' and glass everywhere. Being 'slightly intoxicated' I didn't realise that I stepped on some glass until my foot started swelling up. The sound of surgical instruments scrapping on glass as it was being removed is not a pleasant sound.

Hammerstorm
16th March 2010, 06:16 PM
Surely you'll have to have them removed considering the amount of discomfort it causes you??

have to wait for the doctor 31st of this month. Just to see if he can get them out without going to day surge.

bit of a pain!:p excuse the pun.

But hopefully it will be over soon.

Sam
16th March 2010, 07:54 PM
Having glass inside ain't fun. Hope you're able to get the pieces out soon with a minimum of fuss.

GoktimusPrime
17th March 2010, 12:01 PM
Time for you boys to switch to plastic! :p

Hammerstorm
2nd April 2010, 10:41 AM
Bit of an update...

Been to the doc and it looks like a trip to the hospital. :(

Two shards are tangled up in my nerves (thus explaining the owieness) and the other shard is sitting on a major artery so he is not keen to do it in the surgery.

So now i play the waiting game...

The one thing that puzzles me is that if it is so risky he can't do it in the surgery (which after it was explained that it may be logged in there (artery)and if he were to pull it out i could bleed to death), how is it that now i am on a waiting list for up to 12 months. :confused:

I think it is time for me to get private health cover :)

Hammerstorm
30th April 2010, 06:11 PM
bit of an update.

will be going in to hospital Thursday 6th may.

if all goes will i should be back to normal by Sunday:):):)

The_Damned
30th April 2010, 06:32 PM
good luck dude hope it goes good fer ya

5FDP
30th April 2010, 07:12 PM
Best of luck Hammerstorm.

1AZRAEL1
1st May 2010, 03:08 PM
Good luck matey, hope it goes well.

Hammerstorm
7th May 2010, 03:41 PM
It is over. :)The glass is gone! party time!!!:D

Details: as previously believed my three stowaways were actually 1 big chunk of glass 1cm long. A bit deeper than first assumed and pretty much a massive pain to remove (not the 10min job they first thought)

side note:

Inner- forearm has been blessed/cursed with the magical powers of numbness (keep in mind this is day 2 now) i could set it on fire and i can't feel a thing (weird)

stencilator
7th May 2010, 04:34 PM
Surgery is no fun but remember... chicks dig scars. Glad it worked out.

5FDP
7th May 2010, 05:05 PM
Glad to hear it's out dude.

Inner- forearm has been blessed/cursed with the magical powers of numbness (keep in mind this is day 2 now) i could set it on fire and i can't feel a thing (weird)

Advice - stay away from power tools for a little while :)

Bartrim
7th May 2010, 05:49 PM
Good to hear your ok mate

kup
7th May 2010, 06:39 PM
Good to hear this had a happy ending.

I am sure your arm will regain feel soon enough but keep your doctor advised. In any case, not being able to feel pain can also be seen as a sort of super power :)

rampagesss
7th May 2010, 06:46 PM
Good to hear that everything went ok and hopefully the pain should be gone now, did you get to keep the glass they took out?

Hammerstorm
7th May 2010, 11:49 PM
Good to hear that everything went ok and hopefully the pain should be gone now, did you get to keep the glass they took out?

no :( never had the opportunity they sent it away to the lab.

Thanks guys for the support.

Tabias Prime
8th May 2010, 12:16 AM
Dude glad to hear it went well.....Im guessing its better to feel nothing than to have shooting pain running up and down your arm....