PDA

View Full Version : Need help about Strengthening Ball Joints

christalcase
14th March 2010, 05:35 PM
so lately I hav been super annoyed at the loose ball joints of one of my figures (animated samurai prowl's hips), originally I thought I wouldnt care, but just yesterday wen I tried to pose him differently he kept doing da splits, so I just chucked him in a sitting position

anyway enough with da rubbish, so I was searching da internet and everything, I hav some questions about strengthening ball joints

1) ppl hav been saying use either nail polish or super glue, which one is better (or u prefer) and which one is easier? I dont hav much experience with modding/fixing/touching up my tfs

2) I've heard da disadvantages of nail polish is dat it wears and peels off eventually with play, and wen it peels, it peels some of da underlying plastic as well, is dis tru? as I do play with my toys and transform them regularly

3)With super glue I heard dat it may leave chalky white residue or wateva on the plastic if not done carefully, wat is the bad thing about dis?

4) and finally, if using superglue, do you guys pop the ball joint off and apply it, or u just drip some onto the joint and then rapidly move the joint until the superglue dries

I dont hav spare tfs or any tfs dat I dont care about if I stuff up, so I wanna do it rite the first time

thanks! (long post I kno, I apologise for dat)

kup
14th March 2010, 05:57 PM
1) I have never used Polish but it would be better than Superglue given that it is completely clear - Just don't over do it, a thin coat should do.

2) I can't say that wear of Nailpolish is true because I haven't used it but I can say that when you use superglue, it is permanent - However Super glue is only good for inner hidden parts, never use it in exposed areas as it doesn't dry clear.

3)It is not just chalky as in dust, it is stuck on the plastic, it's what causes the friction and why you should never use it in areas that you can see form the outside.

4) I pop off the ball joint, coat it and then plug it back in and spin it very quickly so that the superglue dries in the shape of the socket. This is risky because if you don't continue to spin it until its fully dry, the joint may remain fixed forever which is bad.

1AZRAEL1
15th March 2010, 08:24 AM
I think my missus has some clear nail polish, so I will test it out. One of the missile launchers for my Henkei Thundercracker sits really loose inside his arm, and even in jet mode. I will clear coat the peg to bulk it up and see what happens. Though because it is really loose (as in even if I breathe on him) it will fall out.

snaketales
15th March 2010, 09:58 AM
I have found clear nail polish good for strengthening ball joints. I've used it only in the past few months so I can't say if there are any negative long-term effects.
I also don't transform my figures a lot but I would guess that repeated transformations over a length of time may wear nail polish layers down.
The nail polish I use stinks a bit so any figures I use it on are left out to air before going in the display cabinet.

I prefer using nail polish than super glue because the effects are worse if you stuff up super glue (I have glued my fingers to more than one figure :rolleyes:)

i_amtrunks
15th March 2010, 10:39 AM
I've used clear nail polish on a couple of ball joints with no issues.

Trick is to use light coats, coating the entire joint quickly, leaving for 10 or more minutes, testing the joint to see if it is tighter, then repeating until satisfied.

klystron
17th March 2010, 11:39 AM
I use superglue regularly to tighten ball joints, normal joints, accessory posts, points of rotation, etc.
I use a brand from bunnings and it doesnt leave any of that white residue.
Use it sparringly though - drop on a small amount to the ball or cup or one of the joint surfaces. let is spread itself (its pretty runny) and dry. Test fit. Do again if need be. Works a treat!

christalcase
20th March 2010, 11:14 AM
thanks kup, 1AZRAEL1, snaketales, i_amtrunks and klystron on ur tips experiences! It has been very very helpful. I guess I shall try nail polish first as it doesnt seem to be as dangerous and easier to apply, thanks again!

SMHFConvoy
20th March 2010, 12:17 PM
I've also heard using 3M scotch tape for ball joints as a fix.

1AZRAEL1
21st March 2010, 07:39 AM
I have used clear nail polish on fixing up loose action masters, and it works pretty well. Like if the arms are loose or legs flimsy. So far so good. The legs for Sideswipe were really loose (and until I had opened him up) realised the rubber loop was missing. Will replace with a small elastic band when I get some.

But as for the nail polish, it works well, easy enough to use, just make sure if you need to bulk it up quite a bit, do it layer by layer and don't put it on too thick. Let it dry and do another coat until it is more sturdy.

15th April 2010, 08:21 PM
so what worked best for you? Supaglue or nail polish? I am worried that the arm or leg will get stuck......

christalcase
15th April 2010, 09:22 PM
so what worked best for you? Supaglue or nail polish? I am worried that the arm or leg will get stuck......

did this for the first time a couple of weeks back, and I have to say superglue is better (turns out I had one in the house), I did one hip with superglue and one hip with nail polish.

superglue was good in that one try strengthened the joint by quite a bit, but just have to be careful when applying, I accidentally squeezed too hard when I first did it and it got onto my hands, had to quickly wipe it away and then move the joint otherwise either my hand would get stuck on the toy, or the leg would be stuck forever. just be careful that the superglue has dried, dont stop moving it too early!

nail polish while although easier to use, one layer doesnt didnt do it for samurai prowl's hip joint, had to put two to three layers, I guess this would get annoying if you had to keep popping the leg on and off after every layer to try it out. the major disadvantage for this method in my opinion, is that nail polish stinks (and I hate the smell, although it could be just the one I was using, I dont have much experience with nail polish...)

still, I recommend superglue but only if you're careful enough... it was a pain to get the dried superglue off my hands... (and I got some on my toy :( and it's hard to scratch off without scratching you toy, *sigh*, at least it's only a little bit)

Bumbleb33
14th May 2010, 09:20 PM
personally I think enamel model paint that you can buy at any hobby store works the best, though you do have to wait for it to dry before placing the removed limb back on. I used this on my ROTF sideways and Deadend and they are amazingly tight joints now.

Simply paint the ball cup wait for it to dry and press it back onto the ball.