PDA

View Full Version : Transformers Animated Optimus Prime toy review

GoktimusPrime
1st January 2008, 12:51 PM
The following is a toy review posted on another board by a Canadian who goes by the handle of Pascal. http://www.multimediapalace.com/fl/ca-flags-02/ca-flags/ca-prov-flags/qc-flag1ss.gif

---------------------------------------

Came bagged with instructions in truck mode. My Prime has a number engraved under the cab (72781), something I've seen on some of my other test shots.

TRUCK MODE

Cab is slightly shorter and narrower than Machine Wars Prime but slightly bigger than Energon DLX Optimus Prime. Mainly red and blue with some silver and yellow paint apps. Very Prime-ish to say the least. There's a silver Autobot symbol on top of the cab. Windshield is of a nice translucent blue. There are tank tracks molded where the rear wheels should be, too bad they're left unpainted in blue. I can already see customizers taking care of this. Same thing with the exhaust pipes, although I don't remember what color they are in the show. Myself, I don't think it looks kidsy at all. If anything, it looks more "serious" in this mode than Armada Prime and more "finished" than Energon Prime. In this mode, the axe looks like it forms a hitch of some sort. I wonder if Prime will be able to tow something further down the line?

TRANSFORMATION

Finally a Prime deluxe that doesn't transform like crap (looking at you Armada Supercon Prime and Energon DLX Prime!). A bunch of neat little tricks, some old (legs), some new (torso and arm location). No real "automorphing" like my Animated Starscream had though. I like how the shoulders and torso are formed, something we hadn't seen yet in a Prime.

ROBOT MODE

Now that's an awesome looking Prime. I for one like the mouthplate-less look. The figure is superbly articulated (there's even a waist joint). Again, looking at it. I don't think it looks all that cartoony or "deformed". Prime looks like a fierce warrior with his shield and axe. The toy has a lot of presence in this mode, it almost looks like it's alive. Out of the 3 different axe modes, I prefer configuration #1, the one used most of the time in the show. The combined form with the shield doesn't look much like an axe to me, but it's still okay.

Seriously guys. This line is kicking all kinds of asses.

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k132/megatroptimus/100_3220.jpg

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k132/megatroptimus/100_3221.jpg

dirge
1st January 2008, 06:50 PM
TRUCK MODE

Myself, I don't think it looks kidsy at all. If anything, it looks more "serious" in this mode than Armada Prime and more "finished" than Energon Prime.

Yeah that's damning with faint praise. Better than Energon Prime? Gee have some standards! That truck picture - admittedly it's only a side-on shot - does not inspire.

TRANSFORMATION

Finally a Prime deluxe that doesn't transform like crap (looking at you Armada Supercon Prime and Energon DLX Prime!).

At least they have side windows. He rants about how clever it is, but doesn't tell us how it transforms. We can't really tell since the picture of the robot mode here covers most of the torso.

Seriously guys. This line is kicking all kinds of asses.

Which is easy to do when you're being compared to two of the weakest Optimus Prime toys we've seen. Why doesn't he compare to Powermaster Prime or movie leader Prime? Or would that require this guy admitting his factory-leaked acquisition isn't all that and a bag of poutine?

I'm not saying this toy sucks, but this not a good review. What makes the transformation so good? And it's hard to take his comparisons seriously when he's comparing to very weak toys. Neither photo really shows up the toy very clearly, which doesn't lend much needed credibility.

Thanatos
1st January 2008, 07:39 PM
Skepticism aside there Dirge, I'm looking forward to seeing how this line shapes up.

Part of me wants the toys to be awful because then I don't feel the urge to buy them. But if they're awesome toys, then we're set up for more high quality figures in the future. And with Classics 2.0 around the corner, I honestly can't wait to see if it all pulls together nicely.

dirge
1st January 2008, 08:30 PM
Thanatos: The concept of the line doesn't interest me. But my posting above was highlighting a review that was more about a user saying how much he loves his (unreleased) toy than really providing any insight into the toy. Sure it might be a great toy, but he doesn't really tell us this, rather he tells us he loves it without really telling us why we should feel the same way.

kup
1st January 2008, 08:38 PM
But my posting above was highlighting a review that was more about a user saying how much he loves his (unreleased) toy than really providing any insight into the toy

Unfortunately that seems to be the norm when it comes to reading anything about Animated from most people. Its like they are automatically set to love Animated without any sort of counterweight.
________
Kawasaki w1 (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Kawasaki_W1)

dirge
1st January 2008, 08:58 PM
By not justifying his position, the reviewer also leaves me wondering if he raves about the toy to bignote himself. Look at me, I have a factory sample, and you all don't. Maybe it is a great toy, but he has said nothing to convince me of this.

Every review will be influenced by the reviewer's own opinions, but since the closest we get to proof is "superbly articulated" (and a lot of TFs have waist joints...), with a picture than shows a pose, but not the articulation, I take this guy's review with a grain of salt. By choosing to compare to (relatively) poor toys and providing pictures that don't reveal detail, we're left with no choice but to take his word for it. He also seems to avoid mentioning potential pitfalls other than to brush on one of the weapon options. Surely that deserves more real estate in this review than the picture of unfolded instructions, particularly if he wants to allow readers to make up their own minds rather than admire the fact he has a pre-release.

i_amtrunks
1st January 2008, 09:49 PM
The review was very 'meh' worthy, but the addition of the instruction sheet is a nice touch.

Certainly a very simple transformation, easy like Energon Prowl...

dirge
1st January 2008, 09:51 PM
The review was very 'meh' worthy, but the addition of the instruction sheet is a nice touch.

Yeah I don't know that it should be more prominent than the truck mode, mind you. A scan would have been nice, too (making the assumption he has access to a scanner, of course).

jaydisc
2nd January 2008, 10:13 AM
I agree with Dirge's general critique's of the review. Too often I've read a good review for a shit toy (would be looking at Leader Brawl, but I returned it).

Nonetheless, the Animated line qualifies for my new sale-price-only purchase policy :)

kup
2nd January 2008, 01:24 PM
Leader Brawl was a HUGE dissapointment to me too, specially since I was expecting greatness based on the raving US reviews that were praising it like if it was the next best thing since MP-01 Prime. Since then I too do not put much weigh on reviews even if they come from high profile people in the fandom as too often they are way too positive for what the toy actually is.

I am not going to collect Animated, the most that I would do is get the odd figure such as Grimlock or any of the other Dinobots if they are any good since they are the closest thing we have had in a long time that resembles G1 Dinobots aside from Classics Grimlock.
________
Chrysler Viper Gts-R Specifications (http://www.dodge-wiki.com/wiki/Chrysler_Viper_GTS-R)

dirge
2nd January 2008, 02:22 PM
I don't have a problem with prositive reviews, and as someone who writes a lot of reviews I've given some really good scores in the past. Having said that, if you're going to claim a toy is better than chocolate, you need to justify your position. If it's a taste thing, then say so.

There are toys I really like but can still see shortcomings so I'll mention them in my reviews. On the other hand there are toys that I hate but I'll still cover the positives, a perfect example being G1 Jetfire whom I gave a good score, because technically, it's a good toy (and the fact that it doesn't suit my tastes doesn't change that).

Leader Brawl is a really good example of a toy receiving unbalanced reviews. It's packed with electronic gimmicks - but they come at a price. If you're impressed by gimmicks he has a lot to offer, but the transformation suffers as a result, and the complexity of the Transformer itself is NOT at the level of say Leader Prime or Optimal Optimus. Too many of his glowing reviews were based on the fact that he's crammed with bells and whistles. Which is fine if you like that sort of thing, but for those who like engineering and accuracy (what's with the transparent guns??), the review is misleading.