PDA

View Full Version : Freak storm hits Perth

Ode to a Grasshopper
23rd March 2010, 02:07 AM
Seriously, it was pretty intense hey. Spare a thought for the WAliens - I came out of it fine but a lot of people are pretty screwed right now - heaps of places got evacuated, power's down across a lot of the city, and most places have been flooded what with 40mm of rain in about an hour.
Man, it'd suck to be living on the streets today.:(

Report and pics here. (http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/03/22/2853076.htm)

Tetsuwan Convoy
23rd March 2010, 03:30 AM
Complete with a mudslide from kings park!

I was at work, lots of power surges, knocking the motors to the projectors off = Lots of running an turning them back on for Tets.

At least my car is clean again though. I am also relieved to finally see some rain again. I had forgotten what it looked like.

liegeprime
23rd March 2010, 09:03 AM
I was gonna say, sheeesh after a long dry spell, such a freaky violent storm now hits Perth. Hope all you guys there are safe. I can imagine the clean up would be so exhausting. :(:(

Paulbot
23rd March 2010, 09:09 AM
Victorian's know your pain. Fortunetly it seems most of the Melbourne members didn't appear to be badly hit by our freak storm the other week but most of know people that were.

llamatron
23rd March 2010, 09:55 AM
My car is badly damaged and insurance won't cover it but even then I still got off fairly lightly.

SharkyMcShark
23rd March 2010, 11:29 AM
I was stuck in my car in the uni car park when it hit - it was pretty scary, the golf ball sized hailstones were like bloody bullets the wind was that strong. Then for four hours I was on disaster movie rescue duty - my car was the least buggered of all the cars of my mates around the uni (I had a cracked wing mirror and destroyed front grill, whereas everyone else lost windshields and headlights and stuff).

1AZRAEL1
23rd March 2010, 11:43 AM
Well I am glad to hear that none if you guys were hurt. From the sounds of things, it was a nasty storm.

5FDP
23rd March 2010, 02:07 PM
Geez... that does sound pretty bad. This weather is doing crazy things at the moment.

Lint
23rd March 2010, 02:19 PM
Unscathed, but by accounts of others I hear the city, coastal and south of the river really copped it.

1AZRAEL1
23rd March 2010, 03:22 PM
It looks like there will be more storms guys, watch out for yourselves.

The Bureau of Meteorology says there is a risk of severe thunderstorms this afternoon and evening, with damaging winds, hail and flash flooding likely for areas south of a line between Lancelin, Cunderdin and Hopetoun.

Kyle
23rd March 2010, 05:21 PM
We lost power last night, and our backyard was very flooded with water almost getting into the garage. I think we got off relatively lightly.

KaRNiV8L PRiME
23rd March 2010, 07:37 PM
I work at Big W belmont, we lost power last night at 5:15 and no power today. They are saying we might not have power for a few days. Also Riverton had no power.

Just Mike
24th March 2010, 01:53 PM
What better way to remember the storms by than with your own tshirt :p

http://www.stormshirt.co.nr/

1orion2many
24th March 2010, 02:11 PM
What better way to remember the storms by than with your own tshirt :p

http://www.stormshirt.co.nr/

:D:D:DLOL:D:D:D

Autocon
24th March 2010, 02:58 PM
nothing much happened around here just some power sruges. no hailstones or anything. glad to hear everyone is alright:)