PDA

View Full Version : Council elections

Thanatos
15th March 2008, 11:54 AM
This one goes out to my Brisbane compadres.

I have only turned 18 as of June last year, in that time, I've now voted twice. Kinda exciting, being a part of the system, but also a pain when I wish I could vote any other day of the week (I'm guarunteed to be working at least every Saturday around uni).

So there's no major issue with all of this, except for the advertisers. I must look like an attractive little swing voter because I'm young and I must not know the facts behind my decisions when I'm voting.

I don't mind having the vote, or having to go vote on a day I usually work, but when I'm being accosted, I can't stand it! Leave me alone, I won't vote for you and if I am voting for you, chill out, you already got me. Mostly what bothers me is the aggression at which they strike. I'm rude enough to just say no but the average person is too polite.

Anyway - people advertising, nay forcing opinions on, at elections. Fair enough, or should be banned?

MV75
15th March 2008, 12:04 PM
Just ignore the flyer handing out people as you walk in. Easy. :)

Also only suckers vote today. I pre-polled yesterday arvo after work, so I get to enjoy my saturday at home. Suckers. :D

Also if there are any fellow voters in division 7/morton shire amalgation, do not vote for monsour. Aside from the huge yellow eyesore monstrosities littering the road sides in blatent disregard for our beautification laws, Remember the tax payer money pay out to a staff member about complaints about a councillor? Yes, she's the councillor.
________
BLUETEC (http://www.dodge-wiki.com/wiki/BlueTec)

dirge
15th March 2008, 12:21 PM
Just ignore the flyer handing out people as you walk in. Easy. :)

Couldn't agree more. And this goes for any election.

Don't use how-to-vote cards. Direct preferences the way _you_ want to :)

Pulse
15th March 2008, 12:53 PM
Every time there's an election, I give the how-to-vote stooges a dirty look & write something "really nice" on the voting slip.

Puts a smile on my face :D

roller
15th March 2008, 09:10 PM
i spiced up the crowd when i was handing out how to vote cards

the liberals at bennelong were furious because i could connect with the commoners

The_Damned
15th March 2008, 09:32 PM
so prepoll your vote if you work on a saturday....

MV75
15th March 2008, 10:22 PM
Or like me, that you just couldn't be arsed going out on a saturday. :)
________
Toyota carina specifications (http://www.toyota-wiki.com/wiki/Toyota_Carina)

STL
16th March 2008, 12:52 AM
I normally give them a smile, meet their eyes, a shake of head and gently wave "no thanks". The next person doesn't bother after that. Instead the rest of the ppl who would've pounced on me end up smiling congenially at me.

If I'm CBF. Abrupt hand gesture and walk through.

Paulbot
16th March 2008, 11:35 AM
If you have an issue with the policies of a particular party (as I sometimes do) you can ignore them and grab the voting cards from the others just to make a little protest: I might vote for one of the others but I am definitetly not voting for you.

Burn
18th March 2008, 01:12 PM
This was about the first time I was able to just say "no thanks" and allowed to walk in and do my voting.

Normally they'll try to convince me to take their cards, but this time they just left me alone.

Bartrim
18th March 2008, 01:23 PM
When I vote I make sure I go with someone else (usually my wife) and as we walk in we have a conversation. I've found most of the people handing out leaflets are too polite to interrupt us:D