PDA

View Full Version : Transformers toys now being made in Vietnam?

griffin
4th April 2010, 11:58 PM
According to the production stamp on the new Leader sized Starscream, it is being manufactured in Vietnam.

http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/movie-starscream-now-made-in-vietnam-video-clip-on-sound-gimmicks/18197/

Wonder if this will just be a one-off or occasional thing, or has Hasbro found cheaper labour in Asia for all its future TFs toys?

liegeprime
5th April 2010, 12:09 AM
wow, guess they have to source out a lot of cheaper labor, and with China also it seems KOs did start to proliferate massively and flourish so I guess they dont want to put all their eggs in one basket to protect their intellectual property.

5FDP
5th April 2010, 10:30 AM
This was reported late last year on TFW (http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/other-news-20/takara-tomy-relocating-manufacturing-lines-to-vietnam-168894/) -

Takara Tomy relocating manufacturing lines to Vietnam

The Nikkei Net News is reporting that Takara Tomy, who also handles manufacturing for Hasbro on the Transformers line, are relocating their manufacturing lines to Vietnam from China. The reasons given are that Takara Tomy seeks to cut costs, due to the rising costs of labor expenses in China and the CNY exchange rate. It is envisioned that 100% of their production lines will have moved by the end of next year.

MV75
5th April 2010, 11:58 AM
So how is the quality? Probably better. :)

So vietnam is the next china.

Vector Prime
5th April 2010, 12:12 PM
It was only a matter of time before they switched to production in Vietnam... labor is very cheap over there.

kup
5th April 2010, 12:35 PM
Hopefully this will mean an improvement of Hasbro's product quality and improved QC for Takara-Tomy.

SilverDragon
5th April 2010, 01:25 PM
I'm curious about whether this will affect the rate of 'preview' toy images (i.e. ones which got stolen from the factory). Of course we got our pictures of this Starscream, but will it change in future?

GoktimusPrime
5th April 2010, 01:27 PM
Just off the top of my head I can recall copyright stamps on my Transformers indicating that Transformers were manufactured in the following regions:
+ Japan (e.g. early G1)
+ Macau (e.g. G1 Afterburner)
+ Taiwan (e.g. G1 Sureshot)
+ Indonesia (e.g.: G2 1993 Megatron)
+ China (e.g.: everything from recent years)

Have I missed any? If not, then it means that Vietnam will become the 6th region for Transformers manufacturing.

griffin
5th April 2010, 02:23 PM
It could mean less KOs, or more, depending on what the new factories and workers are like. Same with the quantity of 'stolen', pre-production figures.
If the labour is cheaper, the workers may be more likely to sneak out toys (if they have ebay access like the chinese workers did).
There might be a bit of a blackout for a while, during the transition.

kup
5th April 2010, 02:41 PM
Just off the top of my head I can recall copyright stamps on my Transformers indicating that Transformers were manufactured in the following regions:
+ Japan (e.g. early G1)

Have I missed any? If not, then it means that Vietnam will become the 6th region for Transformers manufacturing.

G1's manufacturing was much wider than that. Due to protectionist laws that existed in several countries during the early to mid 80s, Hasbro had to license manufacturing to local factories in order to sell in those regions. As a result G1 was manufactured in several countries and why there are Brazilian, Peruvian, Mexican, Italian and others.

However the ones you listed are indeed the main most common ones.

Skullcruncher
6th April 2010, 09:47 AM
+ Japan (e.g. early G1)

+ Korea (Galvatron G1) :)

Saintly
6th April 2010, 10:03 AM
no offense to any Viets here but I'm inclined to say that there will be more KOs and quality will be half-ass'ed. QA standard will almost be non-existant

ps. off-topic... did you know that they mix/dilute the contents of a well-known bottle of shampoo with water (60/40 ratio) and sell it for RRP?

Vector Prime
6th April 2010, 10:15 AM
no offense to any Viets here but I'm inclined to say that there will be more KOs and quality will be half-ass'ed. QA standard will almost be non-existant

I do take offense to that as I am Vietnamese - you can't generalize or stereotype since most Asian countries (Phillipines, China, Taiwan, Thailand, etc) have dodgy practices when it comes to quality control and knock-offs.

Saying one is better than the other in this respect is just plain ignorant...

ps. off-topic... did you know that they mix/dilute the contents of a well-known bottle of shampoo with water (60/40 ratio) and sell it for RRP?

What does that have to do with the quality of a TF toy?

If it serves no relevance, and is off-topic, why bother to post it on here when we're discussing a change in region of manufacture and possibly a quality control change?

Shampoo is a complete different product and how do you know that the product is not a KO and is not being sanctioned by the real manufacturer?

Everyone knows that KOs of anything tend to be of inferior quality...

Saintly
6th April 2010, 10:34 AM
I do take offense to that as I am Vietnamese - you can't generalize or stereotype since most Asian countries (Phillipines, China, Taiwan, Thailand, etc) have dodgy practices when it comes to quality control and knock-offs.

Saying one is better than the other in this respect is just plain ignorant...

I'm sorry that you took offense to my comments, however I'm of Asian descendant myself and I'm married to a Viet.

But my comments will stay.

Vector Prime
6th April 2010, 10:42 AM
I'm of Asian descendant myself and I'm married to a Viet.

And that gives you the right to stereotype and subsequently bag out the practices of the Vietnamese race? :rolleyes:

Whatever...

Anyways, back on topic, anyone else know of anything besides Screamer that's been manufactured in Vietnam yet?

Saintly
6th April 2010, 10:51 AM
And that gives you the right to stereotype and subsequently bag out the practices of the Vietnamese race? :rolleyes:

heh, I bag out my own race. Call me a traitor if you wish :P

griffin
6th April 2010, 01:38 PM
Found Battle Chargers Megatron with a 'made in Vietnam' stamp on it today, so they have already been producing TFs there from a few months ago.

GoktimusPrime
7th April 2010, 09:14 PM
Don't forget that there have been serious problems with toys made in China too, like toxic paint for some of Mattel's and Moose's toys. Hasbro's been fortunate that they haven't had such issues from their China factory. QA has always been and will continue to be HasTak's responsibility, regardless of where their manufacturing is based.

bruticus
13th April 2010, 09:21 PM

Hey, I'm deeply offended!!!
I was made in Vietnam!!!
or so thats what the manufacture stamp on my a** says.

oh wait.. that doesnt help my argument as my standards are non-existent too... :p

i_amtrunks
13th April 2010, 10:01 PM
Don't forget that there have been serious problems with toys made in China too, like toxic paint for some of Mattel's and Moose's toys. Hasbro's been fortunate that they haven't had such issues from their China factory. QA has always been and will continue to be HasTak's responsibility, regardless of where their manufacturing is based.

The lead issues in China were my first thought too, but I agree, no matter where the toys are produced, it is up to Hasbro/Takara to maintain the quality, not so much the manufacturing plant (as the decision to use them comes from the big wigs)

GoktimusPrime
14th April 2010, 01:34 PM
Hey, I'm deeply offended!!!
I was made in Vietnam!!!
or so thats what the manufacture stamp on my a** says.

I went to school with a guy who was born in Australia but Made in Hong Kong (i.e.: that's where his parents went for their honeymoon ;) :D)

langzixinxin
28th April 2010, 03:01 PM
This thread rocks, hahahahaha

for those felt offended, I wanna say,

take it easy guys, really, you will get used to it! coz I have been hearing that kind of things like "made in xxxx sucks"(I mean China) nearly all my life. hahahaha.
:D

Hey,

=======================
BTW, I think some of the BW toys are made in Thailand. I just bought some saying Thailand 1999.

gekisou
28th April 2010, 09:39 PM
This shows how little I notice where these toys are made. I didn't even notice that TFs are made in Vietnam now. So blind... or oblivious. Pick one.