PDA

View Full Version : Damaged Battery Compartments / Electronics

Skullcruncher
7th April 2010, 12:10 PM
Any one know know of any Toy Restorer in Melbourne that may be able to assist in restoring 'working electrics' to a G1 toy?

I have an Omega but the batterys just 'dont work' while I have a Sky Lynx has had some corrosion in the compartment and the metal strips are damaged...:mad:

Thanks

kup
7th April 2010, 01:09 PM
Any one know know of any Toy Restorer in Melbourne that may be able to assist in restoring 'working electrics' to a G1 toy?

I have an Omega but the batterys just 'dont work' while I have a Sky Lynx has had some corrosion in the compartment and the metal strips are damaged...:mad:

Thanks

I have fixed a few Omegas with shot electronics. It can be a number of things that stuff it up. Recently I made the stupid mistake of leaving batteries inside my vintage Omega and they leaked but thankfully I managed to fix the toy with minimal fuzz as all I had to do was sand the dried acid out of the connectors.

Sky Lynx may be the easier toy to fix as he just has corrosion/leaked battery damage on his connectors. You sand or file the corrosion down to the metal and it will likely work again. At worse you will need to replace it with another conductive metal.

When it comes to Omega, a number of things may have happened. Omega's conductors are rather long and not actually attached to the motor but 'placed' on top of it. If the battery connector comes of its frame, it will break the connection to the motor and not work. It is also possible that there is corrosion in the inner side of the connector.

There are a fair few things that could be wrong with those toys as they have rather complex electronics so I can only give you guesses based on the information given.

Lordy
11th April 2010, 09:04 PM
My Omega has suffered the same issue as yours Kup. I will try out your solution, thanks :)

kup
11th April 2010, 10:48 PM
Despite popular believe - Leaked batteries are the easiest damage to fix - All you need to do is scrape the acid off or bridge the metal with something conductive. A lot worse is when the actual motor is damaged as that may require rebuilding, cables, connectors, etc.