PDA

View Full Version : Heavy Metal Thunder.

Pages : [1] 2 3

d*r*j*
13th April 2010, 01:21 PM
I decided to pre-order the new Soulfly album "omen", it comes out in May but if you pre-order then 'limited quantities' are autographed by the band. I cannot be bothered finding the link... but there should be one at www.myspace.com/soulfly

Anyways... thought I'd open a metal thread as there seems to be a few metalheads around this forum. Maybe we can get some diverse discussion going about heavy music?

5FDP
13th April 2010, 01:34 PM
Let me be the first to say - what an awesome idea for a discussion :D

New Soulfly album eh... might have to check this out. I already have a signed copy of an album (could have been the Oz tour exclusive which I believe came out between the Soulfly and Primitive releases).

Met Max when they toured early 2000's. One of the nicest people I have met. I expected him to shout at me, but instead he is very softly spoken.

1AZRAEL1
13th April 2010, 01:41 PM
Metal is the way, nuff said :p

Anyway, not much of a fan of Soulfly, I prefer Sepultura Chaos AD and back. Arise is a brilliant album IMO. Ah the good ol days, when I used to go to some gig in Sydney every weekend. :p

I did see Soulfly when they last came out (I think) when Gigantour was out in 2006ish

Coincidentaly, I am starting a Death Metal band here in Sydney soon (me on vocals of course :D) if any Sydneysiders are interested in starting something up.

Oh and do you guys like Dethklok? :D

5FDP
13th April 2010, 01:48 PM
Coincidentaly, I am starting a Death Metal band here in Sydney soon (me on vocals of course :D) if any Sydneysiders are interested in starting something up.

Nice. Good luck man. A good mate of mine is the lead vocalist in a metal band here in Sydney. They're called Psycho Sapien.

Never heard of Dethklok. Who are they similar to?

d*r*j*
13th April 2010, 01:56 PM
I already have a signed copy of an album (could have been the Oz tour exclusive which I believe came out between the Soulfly and Primitive releases).

The 'Tribe' ep. Any chance of a picture?

Met Max when they toured early 2000's. One of the nicest people I have met.

I went to an instore in '99 I think. The response to Soulfly was massive and Max seemed a little overwhelmed.

I expected him to shout at me, but instead he is very softly spoken.

Why would he shout at you? what did you do?

1AZRAEL1
13th April 2010, 01:59 PM
Nice. Good luck man. A good mate of mine is the lead vocalist in a metal band here in Sydney. They're called Psycho Sapien.

Bands are hard to start, I was in one a while back, but long since dead that one lol. Did record 2 demos, second one I still have copies of :D

Haven't heard of Psycho Sapien, but then again, I have been outta the scene for quite some time now. Can't afford to go out much anymore, damn mortgage :p

Never heard of Dethklok. Who are they similar to?

Dethklok are an imaginary band (well not really, they have 2 albums lol) but they are the band in the show "Metalocalypse" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metalocalypse). If you haven't seen it, check it out, deadset funny stuff. Heaps of get voices from Emperor, Metallica, Nevermore, King Diamond, Cannibal Corpse... the list goes on.

d*r*j*
13th April 2010, 02:23 PM
I prefer Sepultura Chaos AD and back. Arise is a brilliant album IMO.

What did you think of the Cavalera Conspiracy album?

1AZRAEL1
13th April 2010, 02:27 PM
What did you think of the Cavalera Conspiracy album?

From what I have heard, not overly impressed ay. I was excited when I heard the Cavalera's were doing a project together, but got a bit let down when it was released.

5FDP
13th April 2010, 02:34 PM

That might be the one. Yeah, I'll try and remember tonight when I get home.

Why would he shout at you? what did you do?

What I meant by that was I'm just used to hearing him on stage and expected him to have a deeper voice than what he had :p

Dethklok are an imaginary band (well not really, they have 2 albums lol) but they are the band in the show "Metalocalypse" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metalocalypse). If you haven't seen it, check it out, deadset funny stuff. Heaps of get voices from Emperor, Metallica, Nevermore, King Diamond, Cannibal Corpse... the list goes on.

Sounds interesting. Might have to check them out. Cheers!

d*r*j*
13th April 2010, 03:00 PM
From what I have heard, not overly impressed ay. I was excited when I heard the Cavalera's were doing a project together, but got a bit let down when it was released.

Really? I got it last week and to my ears it's great straight up metal. It's probably a little less 'serious' than Arise or Chaos AD but it's pretty damn good. For $15 at jb (and even less online) I just think you can't go wrong.

1AZRAEL1
13th April 2010, 03:03 PM
Really? I got it last week and to my ears it's great straight up metal. It's probably a little less 'serious' than Arise or Chaos AD but it's pretty damn good. For $15 at jb (and even less online) I just think you can't go wrong.

On that note, I may give it another go. If I like it, I will buy it.

Autocon
13th April 2010, 03:05 PM
korn disturbed rammstein

1AZRAEL1
13th April 2010, 03:11 PM
korn disturbed rammstein

First heavy band I got into, then discovered a wide world of some killer music. Still my music taste is changing, but will always remember the stuff I started on. Their last album was a vast improvement from the previous albums, though it will never beat Herzeleid or Sehnsuct for me. :D

d*r*j*
13th April 2010, 03:32 PM
korn disturbed rammstein

Yeah I worked as security at GOO around 2001-2002 and those bands were very popular at the time. Not really my cup of tea in terms of personal taste, but very atmospheric and huge sounding... good times.

5FDP
14th April 2010, 03:38 PM
For those metal-heads here, what was it that first got you into metal?

For me, it was buying a magazine called Massive and they listed the top 100 albums you have to hear before you die. I bought some, and then it snowballed from there :D

Of course, I was into metal before then (having seen Metallica in 1993) but having been exposed to a wider variety of bands, I was power-hooked :rolleyes:

If I had to come up with my top 5 metal albums of all-time, it would probably look like this -

Metallica: Black Album
Sepultura: Arise
Skinlab: Disembody - The New Flesh
Nothingface: Violence
Five Finger Death Punch: The Way Of The Fist

1AZRAEL1
14th April 2010, 04:22 PM
Easy one for me. My German teacher in Year 7 put on Rammstein's video Engel. Got into them, then my brother showed me a video of an Aussie band Alchemist doing a cover of Eve Of The War. Hands down the single most awesome piece of Classical music covered by a metal band ever. Saw them not long after that when they toured the east coast with a couple of now defunct bands. Had the sorest neck after the first couple of bands, but when Alchemist got on and did this song, I got back up again to mosh like a mofo lol. My neck ended up being like jelly after that night :p

All time favourite albums, a bit hard for me to choose just 5, but I will give it a shot in no particular order

International

Tyr - Eric The Red
Immortal - Battles in the North/Blizzard Beasts/At The Heart Of Winter
Hypocrisy - Hypocrisy
Behemoth - The Apostasy
Children Of Bodom - Something Wild

Local

Alchemist - Organasm
Dungeon - Rise To Power/One Step Beyond
Aeturnus Dominion - (first album I can't remember off top of my head :o)
Ruins - Spun Forth As Dark Nets
Furor - Advance Australia Warfare

Had to do 2 separate lists :p

d*r*j*
14th April 2010, 05:41 PM
My doorway into metal was guns'n'roses. At first I got them taped by an older family friend, then I got the cds... pretty much in the order they were released. I remember when I was 12/13 and did a paper round with my walkman playing gnr full blast.

Then of course came Metallica, and Metallica banging on about a few bands and then the floodgates were pretty much opened.

Now it's pretty sparse... don't buy that much new music. Still collect Blood Duster stuff and will pick up the new Soulfly for my collection. Maybe the new Danzig when it comes and the new album Slash has just put out. That's about it.

Top 5 metal albums...

International;

Sepultura - Roots
Soulfly - Soulfly
Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath
Pantera - Great Southern Trendkill
Danzig - Danzig II: Lucifuge

Local

Blood Duster - C__t
Damaged - Do Not Spit
Mindsnare - The Death
Beanflipper - garden variety manic depressant
Blood Duster - Blood Duster

I got an Alchemist demo from France the other week, cost me 1.50 Euro and the postage was 6 Euro (I was the only bidder) great tape!

gamblor916
14th April 2010, 08:00 PM
As a child of the 80's it was hair metal all the way. I didn't really discover new stuff until I started listening to 3 Hours of Power then Full Metal Racket on Triple J. Then along came internet radio and Snake Metal Radio opened up a whole new world of metal.

My faves in no particular order:

Amon Amarth - Twilight of the Thunder God/Fate of Norns
Mercyful Fate - Melissa
Carcass - Heartwork
In Flames - Subterranean
Kalmah - The Black Waltz/For the Revolution

Plus throw in some Maiden, Arch Enemy, Wintersun, Vader, Children of Bodom, Kreator... the list goes on.

5FDP
14th April 2010, 08:37 PM

As promised... (Max gave me kisses... tee hee)

http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/6858/dsc04284o.jpghttp://img30.imageshack.us/img30/3725/dsc04285i.jpg

I have my ticket stub from the concert in the back of my Soulfly CD... which is what I do with all my stubs.

d*r*j*
15th April 2010, 07:53 AM
I have my ticket stub from the concert in the back of my Soulfly CD... which is what I do with all my stubs.

Yeah, that's what I usually do to.

Thanks for the picture.

1AZRAEL1
15th April 2010, 09:42 AM
I got an Alchemist demo from France the other week, cost me 1.50 Euro and the postage was 6 Euro (I was the only bidder) great tape!

I think I may have that one (though I paid around $40 for it :p) Got a link to the auction, or take a photo of it?

As a child of the 80's it was hair metal all the way. I didn't really discover new stuff until I started listening to 3 Hours of Power then Full Metal Racket on Triple J. Then along came internet radio and Snake Metal Radio opened up a whole new world of metal.

My faves in no particular order:

Amon Amarth - Twilight of the Thunder God/Fate of Norns
Mercyful Fate - Melissa
Carcass - Heartwork
In Flames - Subterranean
Kalmah - The Black Waltz/For the Revolution

Plus throw in some Maiden, Arch Enemy, Wintersun, Vader, Children of Bodom, Kreator... the list goes on.

How could I forget Amon Amarth, TOTTG is brilliant as well as FAN. All their albums are I would say :p And Mercyful Fate/King Diamond :p Like you said, the list goes on.

3 Hours Of Power was great, I listened to that alot as well (even got my voice on radio one night :D)

d*r*j*
15th April 2010, 12:36 PM
I think I may have that one (though I paid around $40 for it :p) Got a link to the auction, or take a photo of it?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320494916873&ssPageName=STRK:MEBDIX:IT

I never really bothered with the re-release of Jar of Kingdom as I had the original cd... but I believe these tracks are on the re-release.

I really like demos from around this time and only really bid as a means of watching the auction, was surprised when no-one else bid.

1AZRAEL1
15th April 2010, 01:03 PM
Almost pretty sure I have that one. Jar of Kingdom, I heve neither the original or the re-release, haven't been able to spot it for a while.

d*r*j*
15th April 2010, 01:17 PM
Almost pretty sure I have that one. Jar of Kingdom, I heve neither the original or the re-release, haven't been able to spot it for a while.

Really? Well the original was released in Austria and so there aren't that many copies... but the re-release flooded the shops when it came out (well as much as any Alchemist cd can) and if I remember right, was discounted pretty heavily by jb hi-fi. The re-release should definately be in secondhand shops quite regularly.

5FDP
15th April 2010, 01:21 PM
3 Hours Of Power was great, I listened to that alot as well (even got my voice on radio one night :D)

Is it still going? I haven't listened to the radio in ages.

I miss the days when Channel V had Amped and the Heavy Shift. Got a lot of ideas on who to listen to from those shows.

1AZRAEL1
15th April 2010, 01:55 PM
Is it still going? I haven't listened to the radio in ages.

I miss the days when Channel V had Amped and the Heavy Shift. Got a lot of ideas on who to listen to from those shows.

Yea it is still going, but it changed to Full Metal Racket, and now I think it is just "The Racket" I haven't listened to it in ages as well, but you can listen to it for the next week on the net, which I used to do regularly.

Metal has kind of been pushed back underground, not many shows have metal on them anymore. Though there are still alot of the more commercial bands being flogged on MTV these days. I prefer not to watch that anymore because it doesn't appeal to my tastes anymore. Like I said, more "commercial" stuff.

5FDP
15th April 2010, 02:12 PM
Metal has kind of been pushed back underground, not many shows have metal on them anymore.

I know. It's disappointing when all the music channels show are untalented no-names that can't play an instrument or hold a note to save their life.

I have a few episodes of Amped recorded on ye 'ol VHS format and they used to play some good, non-commercial type stuff.

Though there are still alot of the more commercial bands being flogged on MTV these days.

MTV play music :confused: All I ever see is reality show garbage about dating people's mothers, pregnant teens, pimping cars blah blah blah...

1AZRAEL1
15th April 2010, 02:27 PM
MTV play music :confused: All I ever see is reality show garbage about dating people's mothers, pregnant teens, pimping cars blah blah blah...

Maybe I am out of touch with MTV, but I remember back in the day it used to be a music video channel.

5FDP
15th April 2010, 02:30 PM
Maybe I am out of touch with MTV, but I remember back in the day it used to be a music video channel.

music.... television.... video.... yes, I think you're onto something here. I remember now :D

mknell
15th April 2010, 02:48 PM
OOooh Only just noticed this Lovely Metal Thread, I'm off to see Job for a Cowboy & Behemoth tomorrow night with the Mrs

1AZRAEL1
15th April 2010, 03:21 PM
No no no no no no no no no no it can't be true.

Peter Steele from Type O Negative is apparentley died of Heart Failure (http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=138511). I hope this is just one of their silly pranks again :(:(:(:(

d*r*j*
15th April 2010, 03:42 PM
It's a shame if it's true, his earlier works are amazing.

5FDP
15th April 2010, 03:42 PM
No no no no no no no no no no it can't be true.

Peter Steele from Type O Negative is apparentley died of Heart Failure (http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=138511). I hope this is just one of their silly pranks again :(:(:(:(

Wow, I hope he's not :eek:

What's really weird is that I only just dug out some of their old stuff 2 days ago to listen to.

1AZRAEL1
15th April 2010, 03:50 PM
What's really weird is that I only just dug out some of their old stuff 2 days ago to listen to.

They have played a joke like this before, I doubt they would do it again.

I recentley dug out their cds as well and was listening to them all one after the other for the last few weeks at work. Over and over lol. Their earlier stuff (off October Rust and World Coming Down, ok not that early but still :p) got me through some hard times. Would be a real shame if he has shed his mortal coil, I always hoped they would tour Australia.

Hursticon
15th April 2010, 05:20 PM
This is indeed bad news if true. Though I'm not heavily into Type-O-Negative I do like the song Electrocute.

At any rate, Metal doesn't need another of it's legends passing, though I suppose that age catches us all in the end. :(

1AZRAEL1
15th April 2010, 10:25 PM
Dammit dammit dammit, from what it appears, the rumors be true. He was only 48. Rest easy brother, Dime is up there waiting for ya :(

Hursticon
15th April 2010, 10:44 PM
I'm sorry to hear this news, 1AZRAEL1 I know that Type-O-Negative is one of your favourites dude :(, I know it's unlikely to be seen but my condolences to his family.

d*r*j*
16th April 2010, 08:26 AM
It occurs to me that the last Type o Negative album I own is 2003's 'life is killing me'.. I never even gave the new one a listen. Is it any good?

Hursticon
16th April 2010, 03:08 PM
Thought I might post this to hopefully boost members morale after the untimely death of Peter Steele, Ozzy Osbourne's newest single 'Let Me Hear You Scream' from his upcoming album 'Scream' due for release on June 15th via Epic Records:

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=138540

1AZRAEL1
16th April 2010, 03:24 PM
It occurs to me that the last Type o Negative album I own is 2003's 'life is killing me'.. I never even gave the new one a listen. Is it any good?

I haven't got Dead Again, but Life is Killing Me is awesome IMO.

Sad thing is, it has been confirmed :(
Man yet another band I will never get to see. Man I haven't been hit this hard since Dimes death :(

I hope I will still be able to enjoy the gig tonite.

d*r*j*
16th April 2010, 08:09 PM
I haven't got Dead Again, but Life is Killing Me is awesome IMO.

I ordered Dead Again today. Got the red version for $18 shipped. Kind of like when people went out and brought all of Michael Jackson's cds after his death.

1AZRAEL1
17th April 2010, 05:33 AM
Yea I believe there will be a spike in sales, I will be buying the albums I don't have as well.

1AZRAEL1
18th April 2010, 09:23 AM
Well Behemoth were good, really enjoyed there set. All in all a good night to be had (and dead tired after it :p)

1AZRAEL1
28th April 2010, 09:19 PM
Metallica finally coming to Oz in November, but I hope tix don't sell out before I get to buy some this time.

5FDP
28th April 2010, 10:20 PM
Metallica finally coming to Oz in November, but I hope tix don't sell out before I get to buy some this time.

That's awesome news. I haven't seen them live since 1997.

I'm still waiting for Skinlab (http://www.myspace.com/skinlab) to announce their tour dates.

gamblor916
29th April 2010, 08:40 AM
I'm getting Metallica tickets (or plan to) for Sydney and my brother is going to get Melbourne tickets. Basterd has seen them twice already, while I just heard how awesome it was.

1AZRAEL1
29th April 2010, 08:59 AM
Yea I should be getting tix, but they sold out really quick last time, and I have no money to get them this time :(

I reckon it will be about the $150 mark

1AZRAEL1
1st May 2010, 03:20 PM
Steel Panther Death To All But Metal (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfB7vF7nCdA)

And who says Glam Metal is dead :p Dead set funniest thing I heard.

1AZRAEL1
17th May 2010, 08:49 AM
Ronnie James Dio has passed away (http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=140129), the stomach cancer finally claimed his life. RIP

Another sad day in the world of metal :(

Hursticon
17th May 2010, 09:32 AM
Indeed another blow to the Metal Community.

Though I am not a fan of Dio era Sabbath, The Heaven and Hell band though was certainly a Demon worthy of my ears and my first proper dose of Dio.

Whether one liked him him or not, his contribution to Metal for the better part of 30+ years cannot be denied and from all the Interviews I've seen of him he seemed to be a very gentle, welcoming & intelligent man.

Rest in Peace Ronnie James Dio, you will remain in the Collective Pulsing Heart of Metal fans everywhere and as one of the Father-In-Laws of Metal, you will be missed...

I've read from The Bible Black.

gamblor916
17th May 2010, 07:29 PM
RIP Ronnie James :(

1AZRAEL1
19th May 2010, 01:37 PM
Man it's amazing to see the outpouring of musicians and fans alike in a time like this. The whole metal community comes together in such a situation, I suppose because everyone had respect for him, and has affected everyone in one way or another.

I for one did not get into Dio much, but I had respect for him for what he achieved and brought to music. He is up there with the greats and he will live on through his music, legends never die.

You know with all the musicians that I have looked up to and respected over the years that have passed on, I have been writing a song in dedication. Dio will have to be added to the list now.

d*r*j*
19th May 2010, 10:11 PM
I definately played Black Sabbath's 'Heaven and Hell' when I found out. But I'm not that much of a Dio fan.

I did get Dead Again and it's a pretty strong Type o Negative album. The album has many death orientated themes and every listen has given me a reaction of deep sadness. Would recommend this album to anybody into any of Peter Steele's work. I will miss him.

1AZRAEL1
21st May 2010, 06:22 PM
I am all for tolerance, but this is downright disrespectful for these religious fanatics To Picket RONNIE JAMES DIO's Public Memorial Service (http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=140446)

I can see bloodshed from metalheads if they did (and honestly I would probably be one of them if I was there)

It's one thing to hide behind a computer and say bad things about someone who has just died, it is a completely different thing to picket his memorial service.

Please note I am not trying to start anything on here, just trying to point out how wrong this is to those that have not seen it.

Demonac
21st May 2010, 07:16 PM
Having your memorial service picketed by those morons is like a badge of honour.

1AZRAEL1
21st May 2010, 07:29 PM
To them, maybe, but to the majority of people with respect for others own opinions would disagree.

Hursticon
21st May 2010, 07:59 PM
It is for this reason, amongst many, why I am glad I don't reside in America as this sort of thing seems to be allowed all too often.

I mean, what happened a person's right to have a memorial in peace?

I'm going to bite my forked tongue at this time as I am well aware of the rules and that there are people here who exercise their right to believe in what they wish, but sometimes it becomes very mentally and physically strenuous when holding back a torrent of ill will towards those who feel it is their right and duty to force their will and ideals upon those who want NO part of it.

A Judgement Day is indeed coming, although I don't believe it will be in my time, but it will certainly surprise those who backwardly and archaically misinterpret ancient teachings.

I sincerely hope that Ronnie's Memorial isn't tainted by violence but I hope that all keep this in mind: "Do onto others as you'd have done onto you".

1AZRAEL1
25th May 2010, 12:06 PM
Not that I am a fan, but another passing in the metal world Slipknot bassist found dead in hotel (http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/music/slipknot-bassist-found-dead-in-hotel-20100525-w8jv.html)

5FDP
25th May 2010, 05:36 PM
You're not a fan of Slipknot :eek:

I love Slipknot. Seen them when they first came to Oz and met the whole band. They even signed a poster for me that my dad almost threw out when I moved out of home and got married :mad: Luckily, my wife came to the same show and had a signed poster as well.

1AZRAEL1
10th June 2010, 03:45 PM
Any metalheads in Western Sydney, Darker Half and Lord are playing at the Embassy in Penrith tonight, for $5. Starts at 8pm. And apparently if it all goes well, it will be a weekly thing for the Embassy to have a metal night on Thursdays.

5FDP
10th June 2010, 10:51 PM
Any metalheads in Western Sydney, Darker Half and Lord are playing at the Embassy in Penrith tonight, for $5. Starts at 8pm. And apparently if it all goes well, it will be a weekly thing for the Embassy to have a metal night on Thursdays.

Yeah... thanks for the late notice :(

If it becomes a regular thing, I would definitely be interested. Fan meet :D

gamblor916
11th June 2010, 07:08 AM
I saw Lord a few years ago. They were pretty good, with a Maidenesque kind of sound. I doubt I'd go to Penrith for shows though.

1AZRAEL1
11th June 2010, 09:53 AM
Yeah... thanks for the late notice :(

If it becomes a regular thing, I would definitely be interested. Fan meet :D

Sorry, I found about it late as well :p

If it does become a regular thing, I will let you know. Wasn't a bad turnout, roughly 60 odd people through the door. for a thursday night, that's pretty good.

I saw Lord a few years ago. They were pretty good, with a Maidenesque kind of sound. I doubt I'd go to Penrith for shows though.

Yea I've seen Lord a number of times a few years ago, even did some guest vocals at a couple of shows with them. They are alrite, but Dungeon were still better IMO.

1AZRAEL1
17th June 2010, 10:10 AM
In all my years as a metalhead, I never thought any of us would see the day that the Big 4 would ever play on the same tour. Wonder if they will tour here, and if they do, tix will easily be $400+

5FDP
17th June 2010, 10:45 AM
In all my years as a metalhead, I never thought any of us would see the day that the Big 4 would ever play on the same tour. Wonder if they will tour here, and if they do, tix will easily be $400+

I think I'm missing something here... please explain as you have peaked my interest :p

Hursticon
17th June 2010, 10:59 AM

I think I'm missing something here... please explain as you have peaked my interest :p

Indeed, tell us what you mean? who are considered the big 4? Sabbath?

1AZRAEL1
17th June 2010, 11:06 AM
The Big 4 are the 4 big thrash bands of the 80's which are Anthrax, Megadeth, Slayer, Metallica. They just played a show in Poland, and there was talks of taking it worldwide.

After all the crap that went on between Mustaine and Metallica, and Mustaine and Slayer, it's a welcomed suprise to see them play together.

5FDP
17th June 2010, 11:26 AM
Ahhh... those BIG 4 ;) That would be an awesome show, but I agree, it would cost a fortune. Any idea how much tix are selling for in Poland?

1AZRAEL1
17th June 2010, 11:47 AM
Some tix were $126.11 - $276.23ea, so it would be quite a bit here. I think it was for a festival called Sonisphere.

Hursticon
17th June 2010, 01:53 PM
Though I don't condone it, seeing those 4 bands at the one show would've been the next closest thing to actually taking the drug. :p

Man that would've been an awesome show, your right though 1AZRAEL1, the tickets would cost a small fortune over here. :(

1AZRAEL1
17th June 2010, 02:01 PM
And you think that 13 shows in Australia for Metallica was not enough, they have just announced another 2 (http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=141673) :eek::eek:

5FDP
22nd June 2010, 09:06 AM
Not that I am a fan, but another passing in the metal world Slipknot bassist found dead in hotel (http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/music/slipknot-bassist-found-dead-in-hotel-20100525-w8jv.html)

UPDATE: Slipknot bassist Paul Gray overdosed on morphine (http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/autopsy-shows-slipknot-bassist-paul-gray-overdosed-on-morphine/story-e6frfku0-1225882570709)

d*r*j*
22nd June 2010, 09:56 AM
After all the crap that went on between Mustaine and Metallica, and Mustaine and Slayer, it's a welcomed suprise to see them play together.

Nah, it was just a big soap opera, not that big a deal. Mustaine did write an album and a half to get Metallica started, so he was a bit jealous of their success... but it means nothing, was just the magazine culture of the time. Metallica also got into a war of the words with Slayer, and Slayer with Sepultura. It's like WWF(or E if you are gen Y!) trash talk... almost scripted.

d*r*j*
22nd June 2010, 10:00 AM
And you think that 13 shows in Australia for Metallica was not enough, they have just announced another 2 (http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=141673) :eek::eek:

It's something a lot of big metal bands are realising (Ozzy, Megadeth and Slayer spring to mind), Australia is a neglected market that can become a license to print money.

1AZRAEL1
23rd June 2010, 10:33 AM
Nah, it was just a big soap opera, not that big a deal. Mustaine did write an album and a half to get Metallica started, so he was a bit jealous of their success... but it means nothing, was just the magazine culture of the time. Metallica also got into a war of the words with Slayer, and Slayer with Sepultura. It's like WWF(or E if you are gen Y!) trash talk... almost scripted.

True. That was the way it was. But it's still a big step to see them all playing together on the same lineup, and even the same song :D

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=141969

1AZRAEL1
5th July 2010, 09:14 PM
Well I'm giving more warning than the last time :p

Date: 17th July
Time: 10:00PM
Venue: BLACKTOWN R.S.L
Address: SECOND AVENUE BLACKTOWN

Hair Guitar are a covers band that play 80's and 90's rock/metal songs, Alice Cooper, Motley Crue, KISS, AC/DC, Bon Jovi just to name a few. And I am under the impression that this will be there last show, as they have not scheduled any more dates. Normally they have at least 6 months worth. Maybe they are hanging up the wigs :p

I should be there earlier than 10pm anyway if anyone wants to rock up.

5FDP
6th July 2010, 08:47 AM
Well I'm giving more warning than the last time :p

Time: 10:00PM
Venue: BLACKTOWN R.S.L
Address: SECOND AVENUE BLACKTOWN

Hair Guitar are a covers band that play 80's and 90's rock/metal songs, Alice Cooper, Motley Crue, KISS, AC/DC, Bon Jovi just to name a few. And I am under the impression that this will be there last show, as they have not scheduled any more dates. Normally they have at least 6 months worth. Maybe they are hanging up the wigs :p

I should be there earlier than 10pm anyway if anyone wants to rock up.

What's the date?

gamblor916
6th July 2010, 09:15 AM
The Big 4 are the 4 big thrash bands of the 80's which are Anthrax, Megadeth, Slayer, Metallica. They just played a show in Poland, and there was talks of taking it worldwide.

What a crock, they're not touring. They're selling tickets showing an eastern European show in selected theatres "streamed live".

1AZRAEL1
6th July 2010, 09:17 AM
What a crock, they're not touring. They're selling tickets showing an eastern European show in selected theatres "streamed live".

Yea I know. There are murmurs though, but I wouldn't count on it actually coming to fruition.

1AZRAEL1
6th July 2010, 09:17 AM
What's the date?

Oh yea, I forgot that part :p

17th July.

1AZRAEL1
14th July 2010, 08:52 AM
ALICE COOPER To Collaborate With DENNIS DUNAWAY, NEAL SMITH On Material For Next Album (http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=142893) and working with Bob Ezrin again.

Big news for fans of Alice, I for one look forward to this.

mknell
14th July 2010, 08:58 AM
ALICE COOPER To Collaborate With DENNIS DUNAWAY, NEAL SMITH On Material For Next Album (http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=142893) and working with Bob Ezrin again.

Big news for fans of Alice, I for one look forward to this.

Sounds interesting, now he puts on one awesome show

Speaking of Awesome shows did you go to the Utopia 30th Anniversary show last weekend? The Amenta totally ripped it up

1AZRAEL1
14th July 2010, 09:30 AM
Speaking of Awesome shows did you go to the Utopia 30th Anniversary show last weekend? The Amenta totally ripped it up

Nah I missed it unfortunately. I was up in the mountains the night before and had to work the next day as well. Really wanted to go because they had a great lineup.

1AZRAEL1
15th July 2010, 11:34 AM
If this isn't the most bizzare thing I have ever heard, I don't know what is.

BLACK SABBATH's Metal Classics Turned Into Instrumental Lullabies (http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=142999)

I so gotta buy it though lol :p

5FDP
15th July 2010, 12:59 PM

BLACK SABBATH's Metal Classics Turned Into Instrumental Lullabies (http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=142999)

My wife and I are expecting in the next 2.5 months... this is going to be bought ;)

Hursticon
15th July 2010, 07:16 PM

This is so F'kn cool, lol.
I'll definitely grab a copy for the future.

My wife and I are expecting in the next 2.5 months... this is going to be bought ;)

That is damn awesome 5FDP! congrats mate.

5FDP
15th July 2010, 07:18 PM
That is damn awesome 5FDP! congrats mate.

Thanks buddy. Still don't know how it happened :p

1AZRAEL1
16th July 2010, 11:18 AM
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

There are more lullabies hahaha

http://www.rockabyebabymusic.com/

Metallica, Queen, U2, Beatles, Bob Marley, GNR, AC/DC hahaha

Metallica ones sound pretty cool as well.

gamblor916
3rd August 2010, 08:50 PM
I love it when I discover a new old band I've never heard of before. Came across Ceremonial Oath, sounds kinda like an early In Flames.
They also do a nice cover of a Maiden classic (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIYkK1jRZkQ&feature=related)

1AZRAEL1
4th August 2010, 09:56 AM
I love it when I discover a new old band I've never heard of before. Came across Ceremonial Oath, sounds kinda like an early In Flames.
They also do a nice cover of a Maiden classic (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIYkK1jRZkQ&feature=related)

Great feeling isn't it?

I bought some $2 dvds from Go-Lo that were called Rockthology. Only managed to find a few volumes, but they has some interesting stuff on them. Like an interview with White Zombie around the La Sexorcisto era, and a few interviews with Halford and Priest. Ozzy, Exodus, even a band called Vio-Lence which I recognised Rob Flynn and Phil Demmel from Machine Head in the band. Great stuff to watch. But the best is anything with God aka Lemmy, he always tells it straight, no BS from him.

5FDP
5th August 2010, 06:38 PM
Just mentioning the Soulfly and City of Fire tour here as well so it doesn't get lost in the other topic for those that are interested.

Click here (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showpost.php?p=184691&postcount=12) for details :)

gamblor916
10th August 2010, 09:27 PM
I have Maiden tickets wooo! Now I just have to wait 6 months.

5FDP
10th August 2010, 09:28 PM
I have Maiden tickets wooo! Now I just have to wait 6 months.

Awesome man. Congrats!

1AZRAEL1
25th August 2010, 09:06 AM
One of the best pieces of news in a while. (for me anyway)

Snowy Shaw has joined Dimmu Borgir as Bassist/Clean Vocalist. I am psyched about this. Snowy is an awesome musician on any instrument. Can't wait for the new album. Sad to see Vortex go, because he is an amazing singer, but I am interested to see what Snowy can do.

I just pray that 3rd time lucky they come out to Australia on tour.

Hursticon
25th August 2010, 10:42 AM

Snowy Shaw has joined Dimmu Borgir as Bassist/Clean Vocalist. I am psyched about this. Snowy is an awesome musician on any instrument. Can't wait for the new album. Sad to see Vortex go, because he is an amazing singer, but I am interested to see what Snowy can do.

Another member change? - They're getting as bad as Static-X ;)
Should be interesting to hear what sort of an effect this new bloke has on the overall sound of Dimmu Burger :p, but I'm with you on wanting to see them live on a tour out here 1AZRAEL1. :D

1AZRAEL1
25th August 2010, 11:41 AM
Yea but I can see where they were coming from when they fired Vortex though. Snowy is a great vocalist, but I don't know if he will be able to hit the same notes as Vortex. If you want to check out some of singing capabilities, check out a band called Notre Dame. Strange but good. He also did some vocals for Therion on their last album Gothic Kabaala. Good album that as well.

1AZRAEL1
26th August 2010, 08:14 AM

Well that was short lived, Snowy has left Dimmu to rejoin Therion. That's jus weird :confused:

1AZRAEL1
26th August 2010, 08:17 AM
Shit, on a really sad note, Nergal of Behemoth has been sick recently and has just been revealed he has leukemia for which he is in urgent need of a bone marrow transplant. :(

I hope he pulls through it, they are a great band on cd and to see live.

Hursticon
26th August 2010, 02:18 PM
Well that was short lived, Snowy has left Dimmu to rejoin Therion. That's jus weird :confused:

Damn! that WAS quick!?
Either Therion made him an offer that he couldn't refuse or Dimmu weren't happy with first impressions?

Shit, on a really sad note, Nergal of Behemoth has been sick recently and has just been revealed he has leukemia for which he is in urgent need of a bone marrow transplant. :(

I hope he pulls through it, they are a great band on cd and to see live.

I'm sorry to hear that dude, I know quite a few like the band and even use it to describe some people... :p
But in all seriousness I too hope he pulls through, I think the Metal community has suffered enough loss this year.

d*r*j*
26th August 2010, 02:24 PM
Just mentioning the Soulfly and City of Fire tour here as well so it doesn't get lost in the other topic for those that are interested.

Click here (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showpost.php?p=184691&postcount=12) for details :)

Got my soulfly tickets... also got tickets to the b*stardfest at the corner hotel, Blood Duster and Mindsnare are playing! Should be a great trip down memory lane with pretty much my all time favorites.

5FDP
26th August 2010, 02:25 PM
Had a customer meeting in the city yesterday and took a taxi to get back to work after. The cabbie was playing Zero Order Phase from NEVERMORE guitarist Jeff Loomis. Had the best time ever in a taxi. He even offered me the CD to keep (which I declined). What a champ!

1AZRAEL1
26th August 2010, 02:29 PM
But in all seriousness I too hope he pulls through, I think the Metal community has suffered enough loss this year.

Damn true we have. Especially when it's not only bands you listen to but also people you look up to. :(

Hursticon
26th August 2010, 04:11 PM
I know that people have probably heard of this 'lil guy before, but I've only just heard of Yuto Miyazawa and seeing this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gz2fWwdvhOY&feature=player_embedded#!
Has lead me to believe that this 'lil bloke has a very, very bright future on the Darkside!
Playing one of my Favourite songs (Crazy Train), this Kid is INSANE!!! :eek::eek::eek:

5FDP
26th August 2010, 07:35 PM
I know that people have probably heard of this 'lil guy before, but I've only just heard of Yuto Miyazawa and seeing this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gz2fWwdvhOY&feature=player_embedded#!
Has lead me to believe that this 'lil bloke has a very, very bright future on the Darkside!
Playing one of my Favourite songs (Crazy Train), this Kid is INSANE!!! :eek::eek::eek:

I could do that but I don't want to ;)

Haha... he's got the mullet and everything :cool:

1AZRAEL1
31st August 2010, 08:14 AM
TREMBLE BEFORE THE MIGHTY GWAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRR!!!! haha

Can't believe it, but they are coming to Oz in December. Some festival called No Sleep Til (http://www.nosleeptil.com.au/)

I really hope they do a sideshow, I don't know if I could be bothered to go to a festival when they are pretty much the only band I want to see.

1AZRAEL1
14th September 2010, 03:23 PM
Discovered some cool new stuff.

Fireball Ministry - Doom/Heavy Metal, great stuff, sounds Sabbathy and the singer sounds a bit like Ozzy as well :p

Drudkh - Folk/Black Metal, nuff said.

1AZRAEL1
30th September 2010, 03:09 PM
Looking likely that Rammstein will have a side tour. They have long dates between each date for BDO in each city. Fingers crossed.

Autocon
30th September 2010, 03:19 PM
Looking likely that Rammstein will have a side tour. They have long dates between each date for BDO in each city. Fingers crossed.

yes yes yes! hope n pray

1AZRAEL1
30th September 2010, 03:34 PM
Well looking at the dates of BDO, it's like this

23.1 QLD
26.1 NSW
30.1 VIC
04.2 SA
06.2 WA

It looks more than likely they will do more shows to make it worth while travelling out here. They did when they were out in 2001, so more than likely they will do it again.

Hursticon
30th September 2010, 03:39 PM

Well looking at the dates of BDO, it's like this

23.1 QLD
26.1 NSW
30.1 VIC
04.2 SA
06.2 WA

It looks more than likely they will do more shows to make it worth while travelling out here. They did when they were out in 2001, so more than likely they will do it again.

Halleluja! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kncBZfzVDIM)

This is very, very awesome news!

I am Fucking!!! going to this, I will not miss this opportunity! :D

1AZRAEL1
30th September 2010, 03:45 PM
This is very, very awesome news!

I am F******!!! going to this, I will not miss this opportunity! :D

It is indeed, I know how much the both of us have been wanting to see Rammstein since Year 7, will be great.

I got the same feeling when I found out Immortal were coming to Australia, I knew before it was announced. Then when I saw Immortal, man that was one of the best feelings. And then meeting them, man I was so overwhelmed. Meeting your idols is something jsut awesome. I got to chat to Abbath after the signing, and a photo with him (which I don't know where it is) and Demonaz patted me on the shoulder because I said I really liked his side project, named Demonaz :p

Probably the single greatest week I have had, same week that Ozzy was out :D

Hursticon
30th September 2010, 03:55 PM
Probably the single greatest week I have had, same week that Ozzy was out :D

I remember that! :D
I still don't know how you managed to survive both gigs!, weren't they like a day apart? :eek:

Autocon
30th September 2010, 09:02 PM
keep me updated !! will def go to rammstien:cool:

5FDP
30th September 2010, 10:58 PM
Next years BDO is definitely shaping up to be stellar. Deftones, Tool, and Rammstein makes me very excited in my pants :eek: :D

Would love to see Tool again. They are close to my favourite live band.

1AZRAEL1
7th October 2010, 09:24 PM
WTF man, would god stop killing musicians off?

Steve Lee, singer from Gotthard, died when he was hit by a truck over in the US. :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

SkyWarp91
31st October 2010, 01:09 PM
The most epic version of Beat It ever by Inactive Messiah

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYFjRBwOmR0

It is metal, not just the start though (which is still epic)

1AZRAEL1
4th November 2010, 04:14 PM
http://www.yourgigs.com.au/event/?75765336

People complain when I don't post gigs in time, so I thought I would post this one :p

Bands: Tortured, Burial Chamber, New Blood, Beer Corpse, Guild of Destruction, Roadside Burial
Venue: Lewisham Hotel
Date: 20th November
Time: 3pm
Entry $20

Basically the only band I am wanting to go see is New Blood, as that is my mates band, and am keen on catching up with them again.

1AZRAEL1
4th November 2010, 04:15 PM
The most epic version of Beat It ever by Inactive Messiah

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYFjRBwOmR0

It is metal, not just the start though (which is still epic)

I saw this, not too bad at all, I love covers like this one that keep it the same, yet make it different (if that makes sense :p)

5FDP
4th November 2010, 07:02 PM
http://www.yourgigs.com.au/event/?75765336

People complain when I don't post gigs in time, so I thought I would post this one :p

Who complains :o

Love to go but the fair is on the following day. Don't think I can swing being out of the house all weekend (as much as I'd like to).

gamblor916
9th November 2010, 09:40 AM
So who's going to the Metallica concerts? I scored tickets to the Thursday show.

1AZRAEL1
9th November 2010, 09:42 AM
So who's going to the Metallica concerts? I scored tickets to the Thursday show.

Keep an eye over your shoulder, I may just mug you :p

Nah we missed out on tix coz we had no money. Would have been cool.

5FDP
9th November 2010, 09:59 AM

Would've liked to go but I'm in the same boat as 1AZRAEL1 - no money :( I've seen 'em twice anyway; once in Melbourne (1993) and once in Sydney (1997). They were the golden years to me.

1AZRAEL1
7th December 2010, 09:57 PM
Judas Priest have announced that after 40 years, they are calling it a day. One final world tour. I will be going to this for sure.

5FDP
7th December 2010, 10:33 PM
This seems to be the year for final tours. I reckon after 40 years, they've earned their rest.

In other news, Disturbed with Trivium and As I Lay Dying will be playing at Acer Arena on Monday 25 April 2011. Who's with me?

1AZRAEL1
8th December 2010, 09:14 AM
This seems to be the year for final tours. I reckon after 40 years, they've earned their rest.

In other news, Disturbed with Trivium and As I Lay Dying will be playing at Acer Arena on Monday 25 April 2011. Who's with me?

They have been going for a long time and went through some bad stuff with the 'Subliminal Messages", they deserve a break. I don't think Halford will stop though, he will probably continue with his solo stuff.

As for Disturbed, doubt I'll go, but my missus probably will :p

Vector Sigma 13
24th December 2010, 10:10 PM
I have my ticket to see IRON MAIDEN at Soundwave next year- cant wait!

1AZRAEL1
9th January 2011, 02:50 PM
I have just discovered the funniest thing ever.

Behemoth's Demigod like you have never heard it before (http://www.youtube.com/user/AndyRehfeldt#p/u/34/E92zCs4sWto)

and Cannibal Corpse's Hammer Smashed Face with lyrics you can understand (http://www.youtube.com/user/AndyRehfeldt#p/u/42/C-eYIeUPD0s)

KISS' Detroit Rock City (http://www.youtube.com/user/AndyRehfeldt#p/u/45/N2F5Mi1eCE4) (strangely cool)

Iron Maidens' Trooper (http://www.youtube.com/user/AndyRehfeldt#p/u/14/PJkYGNiBkso) (sounds like elevator music :p)

Slayer's Raining Blood (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrnGP6DVOkg&feature=related)

I was seriously rolling around on the ground listening to the Cannibal Corspe one. And watching the Behemoth one as well, the music just melds with the video to make it bloody hilarious.

1AZRAEL1
9th January 2011, 04:40 PM
Any U.D.O. fans here?

I bought a compilation cd the other day, and I gotta say, some of the greatest heavy metal power ballads I have heard in a long time. Cry Soldier Cry is effin awesome. Now I gotta grab the album that song is on (coz I have heard a couple of other songs, and I have got goosebumps lol) Like A Lion and Dancing With An Angel are great songs.

Better yet, I have heard a number of songs off all his albums, I think I am going on a spending spree :p

Hursticon
11th January 2011, 07:39 PM
Can anyone help me out?
I'm looking for a group with a bit of a haunting sound to their music - I've just finished watching Nosferatu and the Orchestral Score has left me wanting to listen to some Metal with a Ghostly vibe but yeah - I've got no idea where to start. :o

So far internet radio hasn't helped at all - just the same old thing on 30 odd channels unfortunately. :(

1AZRAEL1
11th January 2011, 08:03 PM
King Diamond/Mercyful Fate lol. Pretty good stuff. Like this chilling masterpiece (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oc-FJZLMcL0) or this one (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBChVwjmOSo&feature=related) or this one (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqcOVzx4CqY&feature=related). Sorry, I been caining MF/KD for the last few weeks, nothing but good stuff IMO.

Other Stuff I found.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zmyf_5DPFvo&feature=related Has some good stuff, check out 1.28, great tune. And 5.37.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNmz7y6HvQw&feature=related at 3.23

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z257Mxxly4w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7w2y5ldS70U this one has an epically sad sounding intro, love these guys. This one is my fave song of theres so far (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiZnvaf4Jrs&feature=related)

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Hursticon
11th January 2011, 09:16 PM
Sorry, I been caining MF/KD for the last few weeks, nothing but good stuff IMO.

Whilst I love the vocal range of King Diamond, I've never been able to quite get into him - mind you some of his songs are just cool. :D

Other Stuff I found.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zmyf_5DPFvo&feature=related Has some good stuff, check out 1.28, great tune. And 5.37.

5.37 I dig - It's amazing how classical string instruments can add an edge to Metal, just a pity the clip doesn't get so far as to the vocals. :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNmz7y6HvQw&feature=related at 3.23

3.23 is quite cool and like the above, the Violin just adds a new dimension to their sound, I like the mixed Guttural and Sung vocals too. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z257Mxxly4w

This one is quite awesome and I love the Turkish/Middle-Eastern vibe running through it - just a pity I've no idea what they're saying :p, vocals are really good too. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7w2y5ldS70U this one has an epically sad sounding intro, love these guys. This one is my fave song of theres so far (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiZnvaf4Jrs&feature=related)

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

The first song is quite good really and whilst the Guttural vocals sort of throw you off initially, you get used to them pretty quickly which unfortunately is the opposite for the second song because... I don't know, I've just got this thing against gutteral vocals at the moment which is weird coz I've got no problem with Dimmu or Cradle but once they start leaning toward Cannibal Corpse too much it just turns me off - like Hardcore. :o
(Oh Hardcore, how I hate thee so :p)

Thanks for the pointers dude - you've always been good for pointing out a band or song, with broad sweeping tastes such as yours is it any wonder? :D
What you've pointed out is close to what I'm looking for but.. hmm...

Take Black Sabbath (The Song) for example: It's got that really haunting and foreboding atmosphere which is closer to what I'm looking for - would I be right in saying that it's more Doom Metal type sounds that I'm looking for?

Demonac
11th January 2011, 10:13 PM
Take Black Sabbath (The Song) for example: It's got that really haunting and foreboding atmosphere which is closer to what I'm looking for - would I be right in saying that it's more Doom Metal type sounds that I'm looking for?

Doom or stoner metal would be what you are after.
Paradise Lost (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Dq-27kMZ7I),
Anathema (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foMwW-e7dmY&feature=related),
My Dying Bride (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQULoTInj9M),
Candlemass (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dd9OJe60JWg) would be good examples of doom metal.

sHeavy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPhk9aVufL4) are borderline stoner, but really catchy.
Theatre of Tragedy are a gothic doom (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXniwSqBgjg)

1AZRAEL1
12th January 2011, 09:27 AM
Ah, well if you said Doom, I woulda found some for ya :p

1AZRAEL1
12th January 2011, 10:44 AM
Fans of Black Metal? I am keen to go to this, anyone else wanting to go?

Séance Records Presents
ARMAGEDDON FESTIVAL

2 DARK NIGHTS OF EXTREME BLACK ART

SATURDAY FEB 5TH
The Factory Theatre
105 Victoria Road, Marrickville, Sydney.

$35 + Booking Fee
Doors – To be Announced
18+ Only

NAZXUL (NSW)
ASTRIAAL (QLD)
DROWNING THE LIGHT (NSW)
DESTRUKTOR (MELB)
WARDAEMONIC (PER)
EREBUS ENTHRONED (NSW)

FRIDAY FEB 4TH
The Bald Faced Stag Hotel
345 Parramatta Rd, Leichhardt

$12 at the gates of hell!
Doors - 7.30pm
18+ Only

SPECIAL GUEST PERFORMANCE
PESTILENTIAL SHADOWS (NSW)
ARKHETH (NSW)
NAETU (PER)
BLEAKWOOD (NSW)

Hursticon
12th January 2011, 10:46 AM
Doom or stoner metal would be what you are after.
Paradise Lost (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Dq-27kMZ7I),
Anathema (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foMwW-e7dmY&feature=related),
My Dying Bride (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQULoTInj9M),
Candlemass (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dd9OJe60JWg) would be good examples of doom metal.

sHeavy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPhk9aVufL4) are borderline stoner, but really catchy.
Theatre of Tragedy are a gothic doom (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXniwSqBgjg)

Ah, well if you said Doom, I woulda found some for ya :p

Cheers guys,
I dunno... Both 'Doom' and 'Stoner' whilst having some good sounds, they're just so slow! :p
Hmm... If only I could pull out of my head the sound that's swirling around - I'll have to get back to you on this one. :o

1AZRAEL1
12th January 2011, 10:51 AM
Cheers guys,
I dunno... Both 'Doom' and 'Stoner' whilst having some good sounds, they're just so slow! :p
Hmm... If only I could pull out of my head the sound that's swirling around - I'll have to get back to you on this one. :o

Yea it's bloody hard ay lol

A great local Doom/Death metal band I like is Lycanthia. Melding Doom and Death metal together, wish harsh vocals, as well as clean classical style female singing and violin and keyboards. I been a fan/friends of theirs for a few years since I seen them 6 years ago. Haven't seen them in a few years though :o

1AZRAEL1
13th January 2011, 10:02 PM
5.37 I dig - It's amazing how classical string instruments can add an edge to Metal, just a pity the clip doesn't get so far as to the vocals. :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=De78Yo-r8QA Another song of theirs, with vocals heh. Which I am listening to, and like alot.

And I found this haunting music as well (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhlpisieAEI) and one of them with vocals (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhK4NvP_CkM&feature=related)

I have a really wide taste in music :D

1AZRAEL1
14th January 2011, 06:13 PM
2 Tours coming up in coming months

Morbid Angel
May 27 - Melbourne, Australia - The Hifi
May 28 - Sydney, Australia - The Manning Bar

THE AMENTA with RUINS
March 26 - Valve Bar, Tempe, Sydney *
April 01 - The Arthouse, Melbourne
April 02 - The Brisbane Hotel, Hobart (AA)
April 02 -The Brisbane Hotel, Hobart (18+)
April 03 - The Pelly Bar, Frankston *
April 08 - The Bass Bar, Wagga Wagga
April 09 - The Maram, Canberra
April 15 - Rosies, Brisbane
April 29 – Club LED, Newcastle, NSW
April 30 - The Gaelic Theatre, Sydney
June 10 - 12th - Perth, WA – TBA *

* THE AMENTA only

I'm definitely gonna go to both of those, missed Morbid last time, and Amenta and Ruins are both great live acts.

mknell
14th January 2011, 09:41 PM
2 Tours coming up in coming months

Morbid Angel
May 27 - Melbourne, Australia - The Hifi
May 28 - Sydney, Australia - The Manning Bar

THE AMENTA with RUINS
March 26 - Valve Bar, Tempe, Sydney *
April 01 - The Arthouse, Melbourne
April 02 - The Brisbane Hotel, Hobart (AA)
April 02 -The Brisbane Hotel, Hobart (18+)
April 03 - The Pelly Bar, Frankston *
April 08 - The Bass Bar, Wagga Wagga
April 09 - The Maram, Canberra
April 15 - Rosies, Brisbane
April 29 – Club LED, Newcastle, NSW
April 30 - The Gaelic Theatre, Sydney
June 10 - 12th - Perth, WA – TBA *

* THE AMENTA only

I'm definitely gonna go to both of those, missed Morbid last time, and Amenta and Ruins are both great live acts.

I'm so spewing I'll be in Japan for that Tempe show (my mrs is spewing more coz that venue is accross the road from her work lol) but shall be at the Gaelic for sure The Amenta are so so awesome

1AZRAEL1
16th January 2011, 11:19 AM
I'll only go to the Gaelic one as well, been wanting to see ruins again as well. Haven't seen them since Metal For The Brain 2006. Wait, they supported Immortal 2008 :p (my memory is not so great anymore I think)

Hursticon
22nd January 2011, 01:06 PM
Sometimes, I REALLY Hate certain Americans (http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=152620&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+blabbermouth+%28Blabbermouth. net%27s+Daily+Headlines%29). :mad:

Oh what I'd give to personally enact an Ancient Roman form of torture upon each and every one of these Bastards! :mad:

1AZRAEL1
22nd January 2011, 02:27 PM
Ignorant wankers. The same wankers to try and picket Dio funeral. Cops will warn them not to do it, otherwise, shit will hit the fan I reckon.

Talking about ignorant people blaming Heavy Metal for the bad things that happen, SLIPKNOT, MASTODON Guitarists Dismiss Suggestions Metal Played Part In Arizona Shootings (http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=152596)

MASTODON axeman Bill Kelliher

Even though it has nothing to do with our music, it's a cop out to blame any music. When I was a teenager, I listened to SLAYER, the MISFITS, METALLICA — music doesn't make you worship Satan or commit crimes. It's bad parenting, mental problems. If you're going to try and blame it on music, you're fucking ignorant.

Hursticon
22nd January 2011, 02:45 PM
Ignorant wankers. The same wankers to try and picket Dio funeral. Cops will warn them not to do it, otherwise, shit will hit the fan I reckon.

Talking about ignorant people blaming Heavy Metal for the bad things that happen, SLIPKNOT, MASTODON Guitarists Dismiss Suggestions Metal Played Part In Arizona Shootings (http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=152596)

Yep, the same bunch of F@#$holes who picketed Dio's Funeral, what's worse is that these 'Christians' tarnish the good name and will of others who follow the Christian faith and enjoy tax exempt status whilst they're doing it! :mad:

Dear Anubis, not more of this crap! - I thought this S@#$ ended in the 80's, early 90's?
(Good.. God! - Choking on my own Rage here! :mad:)

Tipor Gore, meet my friend Sobek...

1AZRAEL1
23rd January 2011, 10:18 AM
I'm far behind the times on this, but Bathory, wow.

I had the album Blood On Ice for a long time, my brother had shown it to me a while before, and I loved it. Never really listened to much other than that album. They were the band to bring about Viking Metal. A great song from this ablum is "The Lake (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOvMCkJkjD8&feature=related)" but I found an earlier song of their's called "One Rode To Asa Bay (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDpc-831GPs&feature=related)" Now I gotta go buy this album, and the other ones. Epic songs.

The last 2 albums Nordland I & II were half of a 4 album story that Quorthon was writing, but sadly died (right before my birthday) in 2004 before he could complete it. I will be drinking a stein of mead on his anniversary \m/

Hursticon
23rd January 2011, 11:52 AM
Haha! - You and your mead! :p:D

1AZRAEL1
23rd January 2011, 11:54 AM
Haha! - You and your mead! :p:D

It's great :D (Bernie got me a bottle for Xmas, I haven't drank it yet though)

Hursticon
23rd January 2011, 12:32 PM
It's great :D (Bernie got me a bottle for Xmas, I haven't drank it yet though)

:eek: - Don't tell him that, he'll invade your lands as punishment! :D

1AZRAEL1
23rd January 2011, 12:46 PM
:eek: - Don't tell him that, he'll invade your lands as punishment! :D

Shhhhh lol. I'm looking to make my own mead as well, just have to find the time to do it.

Hursticon
23rd January 2011, 01:09 PM
Shhhhh lol. I'm looking to make my own mead as well, just have to find the time to do it.

Ah! - A fine brew it'll be. :D:cool:
(Mutter's the word ;))

gamblor916
19th February 2011, 10:52 PM
I just found some Finnish melodeath, except they're from Melbourne! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW7v0V3uD8s&feature=related)
Awesome stuff, they're just starting out too.

1AZRAEL1
20th February 2011, 07:31 PM
I just found some Finnish melodeath, except they're from Melbourne! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW7v0V3uD8s&feature=related)
Awesome stuff, they're just starting out too.

Be'lakor are great, I've been a fan of them for a while. Gotta love local Aussie stuff. There are a few great local bands, if you know where to look.

Something I am psyched about is Demonaz is finally releasing his debut album. Demonaz of Immortal fame, so needless to say I'm gonna buy it. But it is brilliantly atmospheric black metal I suppose is the closest style. Under The Dying Sun (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTUT8Ue4cxI&feature=player_embedded) was my single fav song, was released on Myspace years ago, and is a bonus track on the debut.

5FDP
9th March 2011, 11:44 AM
Stumbled across this (http://www.youtube.com/user/alexstypes) the other day. These guys have some serious talent. Check out this (http://www.youtube.com/user/alexstypes#p/c/5A95D09A7130B114/1/A73yBJ4U7_Q) vid in particular :cool:

I hope they make it big! I'd pay to see them.

1AZRAEL1
13th March 2011, 02:02 PM
Woooo, Alestorm are coming back to Oz in May. This time, I'm not gonna miss it for nothing.

1AZRAEL1
20th March 2011, 02:23 PM
Discovered these guys today. German Folk Metal (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Zbqp3m1gAg&NR=1). Sounds pretty good. This song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwLQKehNNis&feature=related) they do with Doro Pesch is pretty good. I'm really loving Folk Metal these days, something different from most of the rubbish coming out that sounds all the same.

5FDP
20th March 2011, 07:57 PM
Discovered these guys today. German Folk Metal (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Zbqp3m1gAg&NR=1). Sounds pretty good. This song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwLQKehNNis&feature=related) they do with Doro Pesch is pretty good. I'm really loving Folk Metal these days, something different from most of the rubbish coming out that sounds all the same.

That is... interesting. Sounds like a mix between Soulfly and Rammstein. I agree with you though, it is better than a lot of the stuff coming out lately.

1AZRAEL1
7th April 2011, 09:50 AM
Talk about a heavy metal super group.

WHOCARES recording lineup:

* Tony Iommi (BLACK SABBATH) - Guitar
* Ian Gillan (DEEP PURPLE, BLACK SABBATH) - Vocals
* Jason Newsted (METALLICA, VOIVOD, FLOTSAM AND JETSAM) - Bass
* Nicko McBrain (IRON MAIDEN) - Drums
* Jon Lord (DEEP PURPLE) - Keyboards
* Mikko "Linde" Lindström (HIM) - Guitar

WHOCARES will release "Out of My Mind" and "Holy Water" on digital download and limited-edition CD single on May 6

I gotta keep an eye out for this.

1AZRAEL1
7th April 2011, 10:18 AM
And something else of interest, Devin Townsend Project is coming out later this year. That'd be interesting to see.

1AZRAEL1
11th April 2011, 08:13 PM
Death To All But METAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLL!!!!

Woohoo, Steel Panther are playing Soundwave Revolution. Makes me want to go to this finally. Some decent bands so far would be Hellyeah, Devin Townsend and not Steel Panther \m/

1AZRAEL1
19th April 2011, 10:39 AM
Not so much heavy metal, but still a great night.

Long Live Bon Scott - Bon Scott Tribute night
Date: Friday 03 June 2011
Time: Doors open 7.30pm | Show 8.00pm
Venue: EVAN Theatre, Penrith Panthers
Tickets: $51.50

A very special tribute concert to the mighty Bon Scott featuring an all star cast of rock vocalists – Angry Anderson (Rose Tattoo) Mark Gable (Choirboys) Dave Gleeson (Screaming Jets) John Swan (Swanee) + the Band of Paul De Marco & Dai Pritchard (Rose Tattoo) Steve Edmonds (Jimmy Barnes) Mark Evans (Ex AC/DC).

Hursticon
19th April 2011, 01:12 PM
Wont be as good as Acca Dacca at the Leaguies! :p
That and I've lost a bit of respect for Angry as of late. :(

gantz
20th April 2011, 03:31 PM
Hi thread :)

I have NO IDEA if you guys can assist, but I'm gonna ask anyway.

Ever since the spawn soundtrack, I have had a taste for the type of Industrial music featured on that.

As much as I love that album, it has become a little dated for me, and looking for some more recent stuff...

I downloaded some Dutch darkcore compilation - a little too rough, and not what I thought it would be.

A friend gave me the Apocalypse remix of A Perfect Circle's 'Outsider' recently, which is just phenomenal!!

So any chance you guys to point in the right direction of something similar?

Your thoughts are highly appreciated :D

1AZRAEL1
20th April 2011, 03:33 PM
What's on the soundtrack? I can't remember, been that long. All I can remember is Filter :p

Hursticon
20th April 2011, 03:41 PM
Hi thread :)

I have NO IDEA if you guys can assist, but I'm gonna ask anyway.

Ever since the spawn soundtrack, I have had a taste for the type of Industrial music featured on that.

As much as I love that album, it has become a little dated for me, and looking for some more recent stuff...

I downloaded some Dutch darkcore compilation - a little too rough, and not what I thought it would be.

A friend gave me the Apocalypse remix of A Perfect Circle's 'Outsider' recently, which is just phenomenal!!

So any chance you guys to point in the right direction of something similar?

Your thoughts are highly appreciated :D

What's on the soundtrack? I can't remember, been that long. All I can remember is Filter :p

I can't remember either. :p
If you could Gantz, whack up the Track listing for us and I'm sure that you'd be able to be pointed in the right direction. ;):)

gantz
20th April 2011, 03:42 PM
Oh yes, Trip Like I Do!

Tracklisting for Spawn:

Track listing
"(Can't You) Trip Like I Do" - Filter & The Crystal Method
"Long Hard Road out of Hell" - Marilyn Manson & Sneaker Pimps
"Satan" - Orbital & Kirk Hammett
"Kick the P.A." - Korn & The Dust Brothers
"Tiny Rubberband" - Butthole Surfers & Moby
"For Whom the Bell Tolls (The Irony of it All)" - Metallica & DJ Spooky
"Torn Apart" - Stabbing Westward & Wink
"Skin Up Pin Up" - Mansun & 808 State
"One Man Army" - Prodigy & Tom Morello
"Spawn" - Silverchair & Vitro
"T-4 Strain" - Henry Rollins & Goldie
"Familiar" - Incubus & DJ Greyboy
"No Remorse (I Wanna Die)" - Slayer & Atari Teenage Riot
"A Plane Scraped Its Belly On A Sooty Yellow Moon" - Soul Coughing & Roni Size

Also, you guys may like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6e3aLrzSQ8

1AZRAEL1
20th April 2011, 03:50 PM
Wow, quite a few on that list that I know.

Most seem to be heavy metal bands doing collaborations with djs, so it could go either way.

What other bands are you into? I mean, I know a number of industrial bands (Static-X, Rammstein, Knorkator...)

Tallestblue
20th April 2011, 03:52 PM
Hey Gantz, I can recommend another Soundtrack,
Queen Of the Damned, it's got the same sort of feel to it with Guys Like Disturbed, Chester Bennington from Linkin Park, Marilyn Manson, Static X and others. It does have more of a Goth feel to it but if you Dig the Spawn soundtrack then you might enjoy QOTD's music.

Please don't watch the film, it's awful but the music is awesome.

Hursticon
20th April 2011, 03:54 PM
Hmm...
If KMFDM (http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CB8QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.kmfdm.net%2F&rct=j&q=KMFDM&ei=EXWuTaCMLpC6ugO9oN2PDw&usg=AFQjCNGs3TCfhiJ6I2rIdojneUFegv6Xzg&sig2=RQgyT5rXn9ZDZUgB9A98eg&cad=rja) is still around you should consider them for sure, hmm...

gantz
20th April 2011, 04:04 PM
WOW thank you all SO MUCH for these suggestions :D

Will get on to QOTD sound track and KMFDM and all the other suggestions tonight, shall let you guys know what I think - cant wait!!

Bands I'm into:

NIN
Dead By Sunrise
Does It Offend You Yeah?
Fluke (you should all check out the track 'Snapshot')
Rob Zombie
The Glitch Mob
Orbital; to name a few.

1AZRAEL1
20th April 2011, 04:10 PM
NIN are good live.

If you like Rob Zombie, have you checked his old band White Zombie?

gantz
20th April 2011, 04:15 PM
As I've been told time and time again :( guess there will never be another chance...

http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lhcavegiet1qzmowao1_500.jpg

Yup, love White Zombie. and Rob's most recent was actually a fkn great album to me, can never get enough of 'WHAT?!' and 'Mars Needs Women'

1AZRAEL1
20th April 2011, 04:22 PM
As I've been told time and time again :( guess there will never be another chance...

He'll tour again I reckon, just not in the near future.

Yup, love White Zombie. and Rob's most recent was actually a fkn great album to me, can never get enough of 'WHAT?!' and 'Mars Needs Women'

You know, I haven't got his new album yet. Been meaning to pick up the deluxe edition, but always run outta funds when I want it. He is also great live as well :p

Hursticon
20th April 2011, 04:33 PM

Oh hell yeah, another Zob Rombie fan! :D
I too dig his newest album, it's only Educated Horses that I pretend that doesn't exist. :o:p

I'm not too well schooled on NIN apart from what Trent did for the Quake and Doom series of games, I do like that song where the Video has a pulsating Heart in it - I dig the 90's Alternative Genre. :cool:
It's a pity that every Tom Dick and Harry consider themselves alternative now, they just don't seem to get that what they actually play is called Soft-Cock Rock. ;)

gantz
20th April 2011, 07:25 PM
Yo am loving KMFDM, superb!!

Getting onto to the other suggestions now guys - BUT I just rediscovered Stabbing Westward, those guys are SICK!

The track from Duke Nukem A Time To Kill 'The Thing I hate'

Hursticon
20th April 2011, 08:30 PM
Yo am loving KMFDM, superb!!

Getting onto to the other suggestions now guys - BUT I just rediscovered Stabbing Westward, those guys are SICK!

The track from Duke Nukem A Time To Kill 'The Thing I hate'

Ah excellent! :D
I thought you might like them as they kinda specialise in that sound that you described. ;)
My favourite KMFDM song is: Juke, Joint, Jezebel (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKxosfl1E2g) - It was the marketing song for the original Mortal Kombat movie and the video clip ran before the feature on the old VHS tapes. :D
(I dig the hell out of that screaming Riff during the chorus, man it is awesome! :D)

I loved that PSX game so I'm going to have to check out that track you mentioned to see if it invigorates my memory. :p

gantz
20th April 2011, 08:37 PM
Ah excellent! :D
I thought you might like them as they kinda specialise in that sound that you described. ;)
My favourite KMFDM song is: Juke, Joint, Jezebel (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKxosfl1E2g) - It was the marketing song for the original Mortal Kombat movie and the video clip ran before the feature on the old VHS tapes. :D
(I dig the hell out of that screaming Riff during the chorus, man it is awesome! :D)

I loved that PSX game so I'm going to have to check out that track you mentioned to see if it invigorates my memory. :p

Yeah Im grabbing the 2 most recent KMFDM albums to begin with, Greatest Shit and Wurst :)

Just on Zombie for a second, see Im the guy in the group that digs most albums other dudes dont, e.g. Educated Horses, must've been an odd time in my life, but I just loved that album :(

The Stabbing Westward track I was speaking off was from the opening scene of the Duke game.

Also, if you can find it (and in my all-time top 5 albums) Black Labs Technologie, very Industrial and kinda, for want of a better term, dancey.

1AZRAEL1
20th April 2011, 08:56 PM
Speaking of Stabbing Westward, my sis was good friends with the singer lol

gantz
20th April 2011, 09:05 PM
For real?!?

That is totally so awesome!! Absolute shame they disbanded long ago, the world needs more dedicated /artists/bands.

Music used to have so much more significance :(

1AZRAEL1
20th April 2011, 09:10 PM
She even got a song sung to her when they played lol. He has another band, I'd have to ask her what though.

Hursticon
21st April 2011, 12:26 PM
Yeah Im grabbing the 2 most recent KMFDM albums to begin with, Greatest Shit and Wurst :)

Just on Zombie for a second, see Im the guy in the group that digs most albums other dudes dont, e.g. Educated Horses, must've been an odd time in my life, but I just loved that album :(

The Stabbing Westward track I was speaking off was from the opening scene of the Duke game.

Ah very good, yeah they've been around for ages but there is a very good reason for that. ;)

There is nothing wrong with liking things that others don't dude - In the case of Zombie, the only song I really even liked on that record was the title track and because I only really liked 1 song off of it I tend to just forget about the whole thing. :o
I found his 1st 2 and Latest Albums to be far more consistent in quality and writing but that is purely my opinion, don't let that stop you from enjoying Educated Horses. :cool:

Holy crap, just hit up The Stabbing Westward - The Thing I Hate on Youtube, man what a blast from the past! :eek::D
(That is a really good track!)

Hursticon
12th June 2011, 02:00 PM
Hell yeah, Blasting Sehnsucht! :D:D:D
Best-Album-Ever! ;):cool:

5FDP
15th June 2011, 01:09 PM
I have NEVER laughed so hard in my life. This shit is awesome!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pi00ykRg_5c&feature=related

gamblor916
15th June 2011, 01:16 PM

There's a hair metal version that's pretty good too.

Hursticon
15th June 2011, 01:19 PM

LOL! :p:D - It's amazing how Metal is able to make everything better, even this crap! :D:cool:

5FDP
15th June 2011, 02:07 PM
There's a hair metal version that's pretty good too.

Link?

LOL! :p:D - It's amazing how Metal is able to make everything better, even this crap! :D:cool:

Too true :D I can't stop watching it.

gamblor916
15th June 2011, 03:54 PM
Hair Metal Friday (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fms1MUKYAcU). Sounds like Warrant :D

5FDP
16th June 2011, 10:40 AM
Hair Metal Friday (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fms1MUKYAcU). Sounds like Warrant :D

It so does :D It's a shame that they didn't sync this with the video. That's part of what makes the other one so amusing.

gamblor916
16th June 2011, 09:34 PM
Metallica never sounded so smooth. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBmM79YadYM&feature=related)
If you have an hour or 3 to spare the guy has a heap of videos :D

5FDP
16th June 2011, 10:38 PM
Metallica never sounded so smooth. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBmM79YadYM&feature=related)

That's actually pretty good. I might rip the audio tracks from these and make myself a CD out of 'em. It would make awesome elevator music; I'd always miss my floor :p

1AZRAEL1
18th June 2011, 07:32 PM

Haha yea I posted some of these a while back. Classic stuff. Love the Bosa Nova version of The Trooper (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJkYGNiBkso&feature=related), great for elevator music.

My fav still has to be the Behemoth Disney song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E92zCs4sWto) :p

SkyWarp91
26th June 2011, 06:01 PM
Is this metal enough?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aChFV-wREDs

Hursticon
30th June 2011, 11:29 AM
Proof! that Metal is not dead yet and has a Strong future! - Enjoy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0QuG6_FA6I&feature=player_embedded). ;):cool:

1AZRAEL1
30th June 2011, 11:31 AM
That's so cute lol

Hursticon
30th June 2011, 11:49 AM
It's awesome huh? - Dimebag would be very teary-eyed I reckon. ;)

1AZRAEL1
20th July 2011, 10:23 AM
Speaking of Dimebag, a previously unreleased song Featuring DIMEBAG, PHILIP ANSELMO, SEAN YSEULT Posted Online (http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=160866) which I will listen to when I get home.

On another note, those who love dirty rock & roll in the vein of Motorhead and Monster Magnet should check this out (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fjqxnz-EUCs). Chrome Division, great band, and I like the new singer as well as the old singer.

5FDP
20th July 2011, 11:15 AM
The new Five Finger Death Punch (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five_Finger_Death_Punch) album (due September) now has a title - "American Capitalist". The first single "Under And Over It" will debut online on July 27th.

I don't think I need to state my excitement over this :D

1AZRAEL1
20th July 2011, 11:19 AM
I don't think I need to state my excitement over this :D

I think you do :p

Always great to have a new release of your favourite band, I was the same when I heard Immortal were releasing a new album, was so excited. There are a few albums I am excited for as well taht are out, I just don't have the funds for them atm, but soon I will :D:D:D

5FDP
20th July 2011, 11:21 AM
I think you do :p

OK :D

http://homepage.mac.com/khorist/.pictures/MySpace/crazy_fat_kid.gif

Hursticon
20th July 2011, 03:39 PM
^^LOL^^ :p:D

5FDP
28th July 2011, 11:13 AM
New 5FDP single "Under and Over it (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LObb3PAyDQ)" :cool:

1AZRAEL1
28th July 2011, 11:16 AM
New 5FDP single "Under and Over it (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LObb3PAyDQ)" :cool:

I was gonna post that, but I knew you would be all over it :p

5FDP
28th July 2011, 11:38 AM
I was gonna post that, but I knew you would be all over it :p

'Over it' or 'under it'? :D Couldn't help myself :p

1AZRAEL1
28th July 2011, 11:46 AM
'Over it' or 'under it'? :D Couldn't help myself :p

That's what I was aiming at :p

5FDP
28th July 2011, 11:46 AM
That's what I was aiming at :p

:o

Hursticon
7th October 2011, 04:13 PM
Courtesy of Blabbermouth.com (http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=164300&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+blabbermouth+%28Blabbermouth. net%27s+Daily+Headlines%29), SYSTEM OF A DOWN, SLIPKNOT, LIMP BIZKIT, MARILYN MANSON, MACHINE HEAD and LAMB OF GOD have all been added to the list of confirmed bands for 2012's Soundwave Rock Festival; taking place in late February/early March.

The festival billing is shaping up as follows:

SYSTEM OF A DOWN
SLIPKNOT
LIMP BIZKIT
MARILYN MANSON
HOLE
A DAY TO REMEMBER
MACHINE HEAD
LAMB OF GOD
TRIVIUM
ALTER BRIDGE
LOSTPROPHETS
ANGELS & AIRWAVES
COBRA STARSHIP
THE USED
YOU ME AT SIX
DEVIN TOWNSEND PROJECT
UNWRITTEN LAW
COAL CHAMBER
DASHBOARD CONFESSIONAL
THURSDAY
FOREVER THE SICKEST KIDS
RAISED FIST
DILLINGER ESCAPE PLAN
ZAKK WYLDE’S BLACK LABEL SOCIETY
MASTODON
UNDEROATH
SAVES THE DAY
CIRCA SURVIVE
STEEL PANTHER
JACK'S MANNEQUIN
MESHUGGAH
THE SISTERS OF MERCY
ENTER SHIKARI
FOUR YEAR STRONG
BLACK VEIL BRIDES
MADINA LAKE
ZEBRAHEAD
HATEBREED
BIOHAZARD
TIMES OF GRACE
CKY
STREET DOGS
DRAGONFORCE
GOJIRA
KVELERTAK
LETLIVE
HELLYEAH
CRO-MAGS
THE CAB
RELIENT K
VERSA EMERGE
HEROES FOR HIRE
KILL HANNAH
THE DANGEROUS SUMMER
CHIMAIRA
FRAMING HANLEY
WATAIN
ROYAL REPUBLIC
I AM THE AVALANCHE
TURISAS
RIVER CITY EXTENSION

The dates:

Feb. 25 - RNA Showgrounds - Brisbane
Feb. 26 - Olympic Park - Sydney
Mar. 02 - Showgrounds - Melbourne
Mar. 03 - Bonython Park - Adelaide
Mar. 05 - Claremont Showgrounds - Perth

For more information, visit www.soundwavefestival.com (http://www.soundwavefestival.com/).

If this list stays the way it is, I'm sold! :eek:
F***ING! COAL CHAMBER! :eek:

http://i1032.photobucket.com/albums/a409/Darkone666au/Webpics/BFAHornsUp.jpg

Accel
7th October 2011, 04:17 PM
SoaD? YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAY

Black Label? YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Manson lose some weight before Soundwave!

Also Dragonforce will have their new singer with them this time...that will be interesting

1AZRAEL1
7th October 2011, 05:15 PM
F'n'A that is a pretty good lineup, though the only bands I wanna see are

MACHINE HEAD
DEVIN TOWNSEND PROJECT
COAL CHAMBER
ZAKK WYLDE’S BLACK LABEL SOCIETY
STEEL PANTHER
MESHUGGAH
THE SISTERS OF MERCY
WATAIN
TURISAS Hellz yea on this one, one of the best folk metal bands around

5FDP
10th October 2011, 12:05 PM
Bloody hell :eek: That's a line-up :eek::eek:

Accel
10th October 2011, 02:50 PM
I hope the line up means there will be less annoying teeny boppers around this year.

then again there will be more try hard emokids who have never listened to any of the bands but pretend to be their biggest fan :P

Hursticon
20th October 2011, 01:15 PM
I hope the line up means there will be less annoying teeny boppers around this year.

then again there will be more try hard emokids who have never listened to any of the bands but pretend to be their biggest fan :P

Agreed! :D

Courtesy of Blabbermouth.com (http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=164903&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+blabbermouth+%28Blabbermouth. net%27s+Daily+Headlines%29):

BAD RELIGION, STAIND, WEDNESDAY 13, UNEARTH, CATHEDRAL, SHADOWS FALL and KITTIE are among the newly confirmed bands for next year's Soundwave festival in Australia, set to take place in late February/early March.

Newly confirmed acts:

BAD RELIGION
STRUNG OUT
STAIND
WEDNESDAY 13
UNEARTH
THE PRETTY RECKLESS
CATHEDRAL
SHADOWS FALL
TONIGHT ALIVE
MOTIONLESS IN WHITE
BREAK EVEN
HEAVEN SHALL BURN
YOUR DEMISE
A ROCKET TO THE MOON
THE READY SET
THE MENZINGERS
DREAM ON, DREAMER
KITTIE
DREDG
ATTACK! ATTACK!
THE SMOKING HEARTS
THE SUMMER SET

In addition to all those previously detailed! :eek:

Big Day Out is Dead, long live the new King of Australian Heavy Rock/Metal Festivals - Soundwave! :D
(A superior name after all ;):cool:)

5FDP
20th October 2011, 02:10 PM
GET FU.... ARE YOU SERIOUS!!! :eek:

All hail Soundwave :cool:

Hell yeah... Kittie!!

Prowl
20th October 2011, 08:40 PM
Just my $0.02 but by far the best band on the bill is Cro Mags.

Not all the bands are my cup of tea but that is a great great festival lineup. Pity I have blacklisted all festivals since BDO99 & have no intention of breaking that ban.

Thank god for the sideshows.

5FDP
21st October 2011, 11:20 AM
Just booked 2 x tix for Soundwave :cool: :cool: :cool:

I have my fingers crossed that 5FDP will be added to the line-up. It's quite possible as they were rumored for Soundwave 2010 plus they have a new album out.

FYI - Ticketek have run-out of allocation. Book them through Oztix if you still can. About $170 per ticket but worth it IMO :D

kurdt_the_goat
21st October 2011, 12:19 PM
Just my $0.02 but by far the best band on the bill is Cro Mags.

http://i52.tinypic.com/k5697p.jpg

OR, Steel Panther! Anyone who hasn't heard their new album yet ought to, it's freaking awesome!

5FDP
26th October 2011, 01:28 PM
Soundwave 2012 (http://www.soundwavefestival.com/about/news/soundwave-melbourne-sold-out)

Tue, 25 Oct 2011 at 19:53

Soundwave 2012 in Melbourne is now sold out!!

Ticketek have sold out of their allocation for Sydney & Brisbane, limited tickets remain via Oztix.

SOUNDWAVE FESTIVAL VENUES AND DATES

FEBRUARY/MARCH 2012

SATURDAY 25 BRISBANE, RNA SHOWGROUNDS - Purchase via www.oztix.com.au & Oztix outlets

SUNDAY 26 SYDNEY, SHOWGROUND - Purchase via www.oztix.com.au & Oztix outlets

FRIDAY 2 MELBOURNE, SHOWGROUNDS ***SOLD OUT***

SATURDAY 3 ADELAIDE, BONYTHON PARK
 - Purchase via www.oztix.com.au & Oztix outlets & www.ticketek.com.au 132 849
MONDAY 5 PERTH, CLAREMONT SHOWGROUNDS - Purchase via www.oztix.com.au & Oztix outlets & www.ticketek.com.au 132 849

EDIT: Forgot to add that Hole has been rumored to have canceled. I wouldn't expect anything less from Courtney :rolleyes:

Accel
26th October 2011, 04:51 PM
Soundwave 2012 (http://www.soundwavefestival.com/about/news/soundwave-melbourne-sold-out)

Tue, 25 Oct 2011 at 19:53

Soundwave 2012 in Melbourne is now sold out!!

Ticketek have sold out of their allocation for Sydney & Brisbane, limited tickets remain via Oztix.

SOUNDWAVE FESTIVAL VENUES AND DATES

FEBRUARY/MARCH 2012

SATURDAY 25 BRISBANE, RNA SHOWGROUNDS - Purchase via www.oztix.com.au & Oztix outlets

SUNDAY 26 SYDNEY, SHOWGROUND - Purchase via www.oztix.com.au & Oztix outlets

FRIDAY 2 MELBOURNE, SHOWGROUNDS ***SOLD OUT***

SATURDAY 3 ADELAIDE, BONYTHON PARK
 - Purchase via www.oztix.com.au & Oztix outlets & www.ticketek.com.au 132 849
MONDAY 5 PERTH, CLAREMONT SHOWGROUNDS - Purchase via www.oztix.com.au & Oztix outlets & www.ticketek.com.au 132 849

EDIT: Forgot to add that Hole has been rumored to have canceled. I wouldn't expect anything less from Courtney :rolleyes:

Just get a dirty Mop on stage and play a tape. people wont know the difference

Hursticon
27th October 2011, 07:56 PM
SWEET!!! :D

Courtesy of Blabbermouth.com (http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=165244&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+blabbermouth+%28Blabbermouth. net%27s+Daily+Headlines%29), Rammstein will release a brand new single entitled: Mein Land, on November 14; coming of Rammstein's retrospective Album (Best of): Made in Germany 1995-2011, a CD/DVD set containing 20 of Rammstein's best tracks as well as every video released to date. :eek::D:cool:

1AZRAEL1
4th November 2011, 05:27 PM
Wow, Cory Smoot AKA Flattus Maximus from Gwar found dead (http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=165600) aged 34. That sux.

Hursticon
4th November 2011, 05:41 PM
Wow, Cory Smoot AKA Flattus Maximus from Gwar found dead (http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=165600) aged 34. That sux.

Sounds a little suspicious too. :(
Yet another member of the Metal Demigods cut short before his time. :(

Accel
4th November 2011, 05:56 PM
poor guy. saw them for the first time last year :( he will be missed

Hursticon
12th November 2011, 01:46 AM
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! :D:D:D:D:D

Courtesy of Blabbermouth.net (http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=165971&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+blabbermouth+%28Blabbermouth. net%27s+Daily+Headlines%29), via Vimeo, Rammstein have released the video clip (http://vimeo.com/31836365) to their newest song: Mein Land, coming off of their upcoming 'Best Of' Album: Made in Germany 1995 - 2011. :eek::cool::D

Hursticon
12th November 2011, 07:44 AM

33 Years in the making... (http://www.blacksabbath.com/)

Official announcement (http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=165997&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+blabbermouth+%28Blabbermouth. net%27s+Daily+Headlines%29) has just been made; Ozzy Osbourne, Toni Iommi, Geezer Butler and Bill Ward are reuniting for A NEW ALBUM, to be PRODUCED BY RICK RUBIN and followed by A WORLD TOUR...

ALL SLATED FOR 2012!!! :eek::eek::eek:

BLACK SABBATH

http://i1032.photobucket.com/albums/a409/Darkone666au/Webpics/BFAHornsUp.jpg

fatbot
12th November 2011, 09:36 AM
YEAH BITCH! I'M F@#$ING THERE!

valkyrie_76
12th November 2011, 11:43 AM
Is the world ending?

All this crazy talk :D:D

Accel
12th November 2011, 04:01 PM
Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaay

Hursticon
12th November 2011, 05:17 PM
Courtesy of Blabbermouth.net, many videos covering the Press Conference (http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=166013&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+blabbermouth+%28Blabbermouth. net%27s+Daily+Headlines%29) marking the Official Public Announcement of the band's reformation. :cool:

Also, for posterity, here are a couple of pieces of Media Coverage by:

The Huffington Post (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/11/black-sabbath-reunites-al_n_1089170.html)
The Guardian (http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2011/nov/11/black-sabbath-reunite-album-tour)

http://i1032.photobucket.com/albums/a409/Darkone666au/Webpics/sabbathband3.jpg

1orion2many
13th November 2011, 02:05 AM
I'm surprised you young fellas know who they are:p:D

Hursticon
13th November 2011, 08:38 AM
I'm surprised you young fellas know who they are:p:D

What? - Just because they broke up 6 years before I was born and it took another 13 years after that for me to actually learn/hear who they were... :eek:

I can thank 1AZRAEL1 for aiding me in my path along the Darkside, he's a violent yet just teacher. :p:D
(He wanted to knock me out when I told him I had no clue who Ozzy Osbourne was, 13 years ago :o)

Demonac
13th November 2011, 11:07 AM
After the death of Dio, I guess they had to fall back on that crappy 'vocalist' they had previously.
Although people seem to forget the 1998 album 'Reunion' which had 2 new (forgettable) songs.

Hursticon
13th November 2011, 06:38 PM
Although people seem to forget the 1998 album 'Reunion' which had 2 new (forgettable) songs.

Nope, I never forgot and I also remember that they were written and recorded with only 2 members of the original lineup. ;):)

Demonac
13th November 2011, 07:43 PM
Nope, I never forgot and I also remember that they were written and recorded with only 2 members of the original lineup. ;):)

Would they be the same 2 members that also wrote all the original stuff?
:p

Hursticon
13th November 2011, 08:00 PM
Would they be the same 2 members that also wrote all the original stuff?
:p

Who, Ozzy and Iommi? :cool:

At the end of the day, isn't it just good that a bunch of old mates are getting back together again after such a long time and doing something that a very large amount of people will enjoy?
It's all very possible that this was a dying request of Ronnie's; whilst he was never my preferred frontman of Sabbath, I loved Heaven & Hell's: The Devil You May Know and everything I have seen of Dio in an interview points to him being the sort of person and character who could make such a request, especially of Tony and Geezer. ;):)

Not everyone can be pleased though I guess, all I know is that I'm frothing at the maw with anticipation for these new efforts. :D

Demonac
13th November 2011, 08:04 PM
Who, Ozzy and Iommi? :cool:

At the end of the day, isn't it just good that a bunch of old mates are getting back together again after such a long time and doing something that a very large amount of people will enjoy?
It's all very possible that this was a dying request of Ronnie's; whilst he was never my preferred frontman of Sabbath, I loved Heaven & Hell's: The Devil You May Know and everything I have seen of Dio in an interview points to him being the sort of person and character who could make such a request, especially of Tony and Geezer. ;):)

Not everyone can be pleased though I guess, all I know is that I'm frothing at the maw with anticipation for these new efforts. :D

I'm not upset or anything...just a bunch of 'meh'.
It just screams of money grab to me. Especially when the 'Digital Bitch' is involved.

Hursticon
13th November 2011, 08:20 PM
I'm not upset or anything...just a bunch of 'meh'.
It just screams of money grab to me. Especially when the 'Digital Bitch' is involved.

Hmm, I dunno - Nothing has been made mention of Sharon as of yet and I'd be very impressed to see if she could convince Tony, Geezer and Bill to reunite purely for money's sake; I'm of the inclination that they as a Quartet have all just figured that the timing is right and that they're not getting any younger, they'd really like to give it a shot purely out of the enjoyment of each other's company and the major fact that fans have been wanting this for the better part of 30 odd years. :cool:

Honestly, sure, whilst Ozzy isn't the greatest vocalist and Sabbath have been round the block, I'd still prefer this over the mountain of generically boring New Wave of American crap that is pumping out at the moment; but then I'm rather finicky when it comes to my Metal tastes - Just ask 1AZRAEL1 how ridiculous I am about Dio-fronted Black Sabbath and Heaven & Hell. :rolleyes::p

Demonac
13th November 2011, 08:54 PM
Honestly, sure, whilst Ozzy isn't the greatest vocalist and Sabbath have been round the block, I'd still prefer this over the mountain of generically boring New Wave of American crap that is pumping out at the moment; but then I'm rather finicky when it comes to my Metal tastes - Just ask 1AZRAEL1 how ridiculous I am about Dio-fronted Black Sabbath and Heaven & Hell. :rolleyes::p

I'm 100% with you on this though.

1AZRAEL1
14th November 2011, 10:32 PM
All I know is, I will be there if I have to sell my soul lol. Yes I did introduce Hursty to the darkside of music, but I don't see him complaining lol. I love alot of the old music, I'm not narrow in my music tastes. Sabbath was one of the originators of what we call Heavy Metal, and Iommi wrote some of the most memorable riffs, to me, in music history.

SkyWarp91
16th November 2011, 02:16 AM
Hey metalheads, recently I've been trying to find some new metal to listen to but can't find many bands that suit my tastes. I'm a fan of metal with vocals that aren't so screamo/hardcore, more gravelly and masculine vocals like 5FDP, Metallica etc. and they can sing songs with the emotional/dramatic kick to them, ala 'Now I lay thee Down' by Machine Head, 'Never Enough' by 5FDP.

Bands I currently know are mainly 5FDP, Machine Head, Tool, Revis, Metallica, 3 DAys Grace (yes I know their new songs suck!), Mudvayne.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

- Skywarp

Demonac
16th November 2011, 10:18 AM
Pantera, from 1990 - 1994.
Sepultura, from 1989 to 1996.
Devin Townsend.

Hursticon
16th November 2011, 01:07 PM
@Skywarp: Demonac's got a pretty good list going there, I'd maybe add (With some 'Darker?' and more 'Sung' vocal examples from each ;)):

Fear Factory (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fear_Factory) - Obsolete (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obsolete_%28album%29) (1998): Edgecrusher (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nr7NOPk7eaI) (Dark) & Descent (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFWDZ85icyo) (Sung)
Static-X (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Static_x) - Start a War (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Start_a_War) (2005): Dirthouse (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AN8KWclFoW4) (Dark) & Just In Case (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-FCQIJfjns) (Sung)
Rammstein (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rammstein) (Though not in English :o) - Sehnsucht (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sehnsucht_%28Rammstein_album%29) (1997): Eifersucht (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AH4Y6B7CM-w) (Dark) & Alter Mann (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zh1dX0ydFf4) (Sung)
Drowning Pool (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drowning_Pool) - Desensitized (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desensitized_%28Drowning_Pool_album%29) (2004): Forget (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dz1lVnkGNBQ) (Dark) & Love and War (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQ7WirR6avg) (Sung)

These are just a couple of examples of each band (Please excuse the Youtube Quality though :o) and each has a number more records and songs; so I'd encourage you Skywarp, or anyone else for that matter, to just have a look around the libraries of each. One of the best things I've learnt about Metal is that there is such a huge variety of sounds (http://mapofmetal.com/#/home) out there, with many bands executing differing styles from one album to the next, which makes Exploring Metal one of the most engaging and fun aspects of the Genre. ;):cool:

One more group I might suggest for you is Disturbed (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disturbed_%28band%29) and their albums: The Sickness (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sickness) (2000) and Indestructible (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indestructible_%28Disturbed_album%29) (2008), they're my 2 favourites from this band and I recommend them to those who aren't necessarily a regular Heavy Rock/Metal fan, who's looking for a less 'stereotypical :rolleyes:' Metal sound. ;):)
(It annoys me to no end those who simply write off Metal as just screaming devil worshippers, it's such a narrow view on an incredibly broad and varied genre :mad:; to them I say go and watch this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etfaqTx0bjg) :cool:)

Demonac
16th November 2011, 02:52 PM
Speaking of Sabbath a few days ago...who here has heard of a Canadian band 'Sheavy'?

5FDP
18th November 2011, 09:19 AM
Bands I currently know are mainly 5FDP, Machine Head, Tool, Revis, Metallica, 3 DAys Grace (yes I know their new songs suck!), Mudvayne.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

- Skywarp

One of us, one of us :D I must say you have impeccable taste in music ;) :cool:

May I suggest Machine Heads new album 'Unto the Locust'. I haven't been able to remove it from my CD player for weeks now. It's just so awesome!

Also check out Nothingface you WON'T regret it. Start with their album Violence. Trust me on this one.

Hursticon
18th November 2011, 09:24 AM
May I suggest Machine Heads new album 'Unto the Locust'. I haven't been able to remove it from my CD player for weeks now. It's just so awesome!

How is that compared to 'The Blackening' dude? +/-?
(The Blackening was friggin' Awesome! :D)

5FDP
18th November 2011, 09:33 AM
How is that compared to 'The Blackening' dude? +/-?
(The Blackening was friggin' Awesome! :D)

Very similar in that most songs are 6+ minutes in length ala old-school Metallica. I love that because for me, some of the best songs should have you going through a range of emotions when listening to it... kinda like a good book or movie, rather than just playing the same riffs and cords from start to finish.

There are of course some stand-out tracks (the title track included) but what you'll find is that the album finishes very differently to the way it starts off.

Quite a few older MH fans don't like this, however I have been there since the beginning and appreciate the musical evolution.

I would give The Blackening an 8.5 out of 10; Unto the Locust would rate as a 9 using the same scale. Highly recommended.

Hursticon
18th November 2011, 09:41 AM
Very similar in that most songs are 6+ minutes in length ala old-school Metallica. I love that because for me, some of the best songs should have you going through a range of emotions when listening to it... kinda like a good book or movie, rather than just playing the same riffs and cords from start to finish.

There are of course some stand-out tracks (the title track included) but what you'll find is that the album finishes very differently to the way it starts off.

Quite a few older MH fans don't like this, however I have been there since the beginning and appreciate the musical evolution.

I would give The Blackening an 8.5 out of 10; Unto the Locust would rate as a 9 using the same scale. Highly recommended.

Excellent, I'll have to get a hold of it and give it a listen - The thing I liked about The Blackening is that it's a record you can whack on and enjoy all the way through and I too like the longer length of the songs, a very Sabbath approach also. ;):cool:

If 'Unto The Locust' is better than that I'll be very pleased. :D

SkyWarp91
23rd November 2011, 08:08 PM
Pantera, from 1990 - 1994.
Sepultura, from 1989 to 1996.
Devin Townsend.

I do like Pantera, but wasn't impressed by Sepultura. I'll try out Devin Townsend.

@Skywarp: Demonac's got a pretty good list going there, I'd maybe add (With some 'Darker?' and more 'Sung' vocal examples from each ;)):

Fear Factory (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fear_Factory) - Obsolete (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obsolete_%28album%29) (1998): Edgecrusher (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nr7NOPk7eaI) (Dark) & Descent (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFWDZ85icyo) (Sung)
Static-X (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Static_x) - Start a War (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Start_a_War) (2005): Dirthouse (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AN8KWclFoW4) (Dark) & Just In Case (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-FCQIJfjns) (Sung)
Rammstein (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rammstein) (Though not in English :o) - Sehnsucht (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sehnsucht_%28Rammstein_album%29) (1997): Eifersucht (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AH4Y6B7CM-w) (Dark) & Alter Mann (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zh1dX0ydFf4) (Sung)
Drowning Pool (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drowning_Pool) - Desensitized (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desensitized_%28Drowning_Pool_album%29) (2004): Forget (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dz1lVnkGNBQ) (Dark) & Love and War (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQ7WirR6avg) (Sung)

These are just a couple of examples of each band (Please excuse the Youtube Quality though :o) and each has a number more records and songs; so I'd encourage you Skywarp, or anyone else for that matter, to just have a look around the libraries of each. One of the best things I've learnt about Metal is that there is such a huge variety of sounds (http://mapofmetal.com/#/home) out there, with many bands executing differing styles from one album to the next, which makes Exploring Metal one of the most engaging and fun aspects of the Genre. ;):cool:

One more group I might suggest for you is Disturbed (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disturbed_%28band%29) and their albums: The Sickness (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sickness) (2000) and Indestructible (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indestructible_%28Disturbed_album%29) (2008), they're my 2 favourites from this band and I recommend them to those who aren't necessarily a regular Heavy Rock/Metal fan, who's looking for a less 'stereotypical :rolleyes:' Metal sound. ;):)
(It annoys me to no end those who simply write off Metal as just screaming devil worshippers, it's such a narrow view on an incredibly broad and varied genre :mad:; to them I say go and watch this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etfaqTx0bjg) :cool:)

Thanks for the post Hursti, I actually do have Static X, Disturbed, Rammstein and Drowning Pool albums (and a Fear Factory album too, how sick is their cover of Cars?!). Just forgot to list them in my original post :)

One of us, one of us :D I must say you have impeccable taste in music ;) :cool:

Also check out Nothingface you WON'T regret it. Start with their album Violence. Trust me on this one.

I got Unto the Locust because I loved MH's 'Now I lay Thee Down' but didn't have any of their albums. Still haven't listened to the Blackening but like you I'm stuck listening to Unto the Locust because it's so damn good. All the songs I can listen to and are done with so much energy and heart, many rock albums I hear only have the 1 or 2 songs I like with 6-9 other filler songs. My fav from this album is 'This is the End'.

I also checked out Nothingface, Ether's probably my fav song on their album Skeletons but I actually enjoyed the Violence album because of the heavier riffs, though their vocals aren't as strong as Machine Head. Still gotta listen to more metal folks, once I get tired (don't know if I ever will) or Unto the Locust!

Prowl
23rd November 2011, 08:33 PM
Hey metalheads, recently I've been trying to find some new metal to listen to but can't find many bands that suit my tastes. I'm a fan of metal with vocals that aren't so screamo/hardcore, more gravelly and masculine vocals like 5FDP, Metallica etc. and they can sing songs with the emotional/dramatic kick to them, ala 'Now I lay thee Down' by Machine Head, 'Never Enough' by 5FDP.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

- Skywarp

I would suggest trying Dream Theatre's Train of thought. Aural ecstasy simply put.

Prowl
23rd November 2011, 08:36 PM
I have been listening to a fair bit of John 5 lately. A virtuoso on a stringed instrument & has played with everyone & anyone from Marilyn Manson to KD Lang.

Hursticon
24th November 2011, 04:18 AM
Thanks for the post Hursti, I actually do have Static X, Disturbed, Rammstein and Drowning Pool albums (and a Fear Factory album too, how sick is their cover of Cars?!). Just forgot to list them in my original post :)

Like 5FDP, your taste in music impresses and pleases me greatly; with regards to Fear Factory's cover of Cars? - F@#$ Yeah Son (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSoKp6dRUH0&ob=av2e)! :D:cool:

I would suggest trying Dream Theatre's Train of thought. Aural ecstasy simply put.

I'm not too privy to anything from Dream Theatre, but I know that this one (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_WMHg8c_4I&ob=av3n) from Dream Evil is incredibly epic and Metal to the core! :D;)

I have been listening to a fair bit of John 5 lately. A virtuoso on a stringed instrument & has played with everyone & anyone from Marilyn Manson to KD Lang.

The blokes been around the block huh? :p - I love his work with Rob Zombie in Sick Bubblegum (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeUwikDrA9I&ob=av3e). :D:cool:

gamblor916
24th November 2011, 07:17 AM
Dream Evil is awesome! And hilarious (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XO9qJs2gRxY).

1AZRAEL1
24th November 2011, 04:41 PM
Dream Evil is awesome! And hilarious (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XO9qJs2gRxY).

True that. The humor in that song, quite funny.

They have had some great albums, but I must admit I haven't bought any after United :o Their albums with Snowy are my favs, that guy is just too damn talented. I really gotta grab his live dvd when I see it, Live Showreel In The Wunderwurld (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3tG5w8bjbM), where he plays music from all the bands he has been in.

Love all his stuff when he was in Notre Dame, you guys should def check them out.

SkyWarp91
24th November 2011, 05:23 PM
Like 5FDP, your taste in music impresses and pleases me greatly; with regards to Fear Factory's cover of Cars? - F@#$ Yeah Son (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSoKp6dRUH0&ob=av2e)! :D:cool:

Why thank you good sir!