PDA

View Full Version : Shopper sued for posting negative feedback on eBay

SamLoi888
14th April 2010, 04:03 PM
Didn't know where to post this but seeing as it is the Ebay section.:confused:

Shopper sued for posting negative feedback on eBay (http://www.news.com.au/technology/shopper-sued-for-posting-negative-feedback-on-ebay/story-e6frfro0-1225853417348)

1orion2many
14th April 2010, 04:16 PM
:rolleyes:Only in the U.S.A:rolleyes:

kup
14th April 2010, 07:13 PM
This may set a dangerous precedence.

5FDP
14th April 2010, 07:29 PM
This may set a dangerous precedence.

Damn straight! And not just with Ebay, any form of customer service would be at risk if this goes in favour of the seller.

Tetsuwan Convoy
14th April 2010, 08:06 PM
Mr Miller <the seller>says in his lawsuit that the clock was "plainly offered for sale with the following language: 'We cannot give you any guarantees and must offer it on an as-is, where-is basis only'."

What the hell does that mean? If thats the state of the clock, perhaps he should have also said it doesnt work? Why even bother auctioning it off? SUrpirsed he had 100% feedback in the first place. Unless it was 1 ;)

What a world...

kup
14th April 2010, 08:44 PM
Damn straight! And not just with Ebay, any form of customer service would be at risk if this goes in favour of the seller.

It's a Pandora's box alright.

1AZRAEL1
15th April 2010, 08:45 AM
That is a complete load of horse ****, seriously, what is the point of having feedback if you can't give someone who deserves negative feedback, without the fear of being sued for it? Certainly will open the floodgates of stupidity.

MV75
15th April 2010, 10:06 AM
At the worst he should have left neutral feedback. He got his money back afterall.

So much crap over $44. People are f-wits.

Which I should now bring up, Griffin, close member feedback section now. It can very likely end up you getting sued over others comments. There is the precedent for it too with it happening over at overclockers australia. In short, they used to have vendor verdicts, a vendor didn't like negativity that members gave them, and sued the site owner (successfully), for many thousands.

1AZRAEL1
15th April 2010, 10:30 AM
I don't think it is the amount, more the principle of the thing. Say if you buy something at a store, and it turns out to be faulty, you can return it to get a refund or replacement. And off you go. If you get refused, of course you are going to get the s**** and compalin to your friends about it. I think in this case, the seller refused to refund his money so he had to take it up with Ebay. All well within his right to, and to leave negative feedback.

Just my 2c.

kup
15th April 2010, 10:38 AM
At the worst he should have left neutral feedback. He got his money back afterall.

So much crap over $44. People are f-wits.

Which I should now bring up, Griffin, close member feedback section now. It can very likely end up you getting sued over others comments. There is the precedent for it too with it happening over at overclockers australia. In short, they used to have vendor verdicts, a vendor didn't like negativity that members gave them, and sued the site owner (successfully), for many thousands.

Wow! I didn't know that. I haven't visited the Overclocker's board in a very long time though.

kaiden
15th April 2010, 11:34 AM
Freedom of speech just isnt the same anymore. So much so, it's not safe to post what you think online anymore.

Some woman fired over a comment posted on facebook.
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/woman-fired-for-facebook-threat/story-e6frea83-1225852231432

'We cannot give you any guarantees and must offer it on an as-is, where-is basis only'

basically means 'sold as is - no refunds' :P

5FDP
15th April 2010, 12:18 PM
Some woman fired over a comment posted on facebook.
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/woman-fired-for-facebook-threat/story-e6frea83-1225852231432

You might be surprised (or maybe you wouldn't be) how common this actually is. There have been several occurances in my workplace over the last several months.

kaiden
15th April 2010, 02:08 PM
yeah im not surprised really, i just hate the fact that if you were to just say what you thought, nothing would happen to you, but once its in writing - someone's in trouble.