PDA

View Full Version : Toy-swapping reaches Oz

SilverDragon
14th April 2010, 08:04 PM
The insidious practice of toy swapping (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Toy_swapping) has so far seemed to be limited to the US.

However, look at what I found in Target Macquarie Centre today.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57/Dinoman42/Toy%20shots/P4140048.jpg

Granted, it's not as bad as some examples mentioned on the TFwiki pages (three tomatoes? seriously?), but you do have to wonder how this went un-noticed.

christalcase
14th April 2010, 08:09 PM
do you think that someone actually brought the original bumblebee and soundwave, went home and then refunded it? or that the person changed it inside the store? I would think it's pretty weird that the person would be able to refund it AND that target placed it back out on sale when there is some terrible box wear already... and as you said, it is actually quite obvious, I mean, products and colours may vary, but I would think varying this much would be a bit too... far? but then again, changing it in store is pretty risky too, there's staff going all over the store these days

Vector Prime
14th April 2010, 08:27 PM
I think this may have actually been done in store since from recollection, the Wheelie/Sideways box set was on special for a very cheap price at Target recently whereas Bumblebee/Soundwave was not.

I reckon some sneaky bastard's decided to swap the toys around so that when it came to checkout time, the price scanned up as the cheaper Wheelie/Sideways pack but they managed to score Bumblebee/Soundwave instead.

Okay, so who was it? Fess up!

(this obviously rules out the MISB and MIB collectors on the forum :D)

optimus1
14th April 2010, 08:32 PM
:mad:

Macq Centre is one of the main places I look for Transformers, I'll be on the lookout for these. Hopefully these stupid people get caught out :mad:

5FDP
14th April 2010, 08:32 PM
Maybe it's some kind of weird variant :p

Sky Shadow
14th April 2010, 09:00 PM
Why would someone do something so amoral and risky for toys? More to the point, why would anyone do it for ROTF toys?

My faith in humanity diminishes daily.

langzixinxin
14th April 2010, 11:11 PM
Maybe it's some kind of weird variant :p

+1

I hardly think someone can do this in a fast way. They gotta undo and redo bindings for 4 figures. And for 10 dollar saving?:eek:

Vector Prime
15th April 2010, 12:22 AM
I hardly think someone can do this in a fast way. They gotta undo and redo bindings for 4 figures. And for 10 dollar saving?:eek:

What binding? The box is the same size... all they have to do (and it looks like it's what they did) is open the box on the side, slide the cardboard backing tray with the figures still attached and switch them around.

As for the saving amount, well some people get a thrill from doing stuff like this, so often it's not about the dollar value, more so to do with the adrenaline rush

liegeprime
15th April 2010, 01:46 AM
Why would someone do something so amoral and risky for toys? More to the point, why would anyone do it for ROTF toys?

My faith in humanity diminishes daily.

Time to change species :p;)

Deceptic_Optic
16th April 2010, 02:09 PM
Time to change species :p;)

who said i was human?....:confused:

Sutton
17th April 2010, 10:27 PM
Yeah, the Kmart where I live will resell returned items a lot. It's pretty shit.

At the moment there's a deluxe Ratchet hanging around that's clearly been bought and played with - what possible excuse could you have for bringing it back besides if it's broken?

griffin
17th April 2010, 11:30 PM
I think returns of opened product should only be for faulty items (which they are legally obliged to give a refund for), and if that is the reason for return, they shouldn't be re-shelving the item hoping to sell it to someone else.

Sutton
18th April 2010, 12:47 AM
I think returns of opened product should only be for faulty items (which they are legally obliged to give a refund for), and if that is the reason for return, they shouldn't be re-shelving the item hoping to sell it to someone else.

Exactly. And if I was a kid and got that Ratchet as a birthday present, I'd be pretty upset knowing some other kid had already played with it before their deadbeat parents realised they'd run out of smokes and made them bring it back for a refund.

SofaMan
18th April 2010, 12:51 AM
I think this may have actually been done in store since from recollection, the Wheelie/Sideways box set was on special for a very cheap price at Target recently whereas Bumblebee/Soundwave was not.

I reckon some sneaky bastard's decided to swap the toys around so that when it came to checkout time, the price scanned up as the cheaper Wheelie/Sideways pack but they managed to score Bumblebee/Soundwave instead.[/I]

+1

SMHFConvoy
20th April 2010, 07:45 PM
but then again, changing it in store is pretty risky too, there's staff going all over the store these days

Yeah because staff are always so vigilant :rolleyes:

Sorry that was rude. To be honest with staffing cuts... Staff can't be everywhere. Stuff like this is going to happen, especially if the department you're in is manned by two people and they're both busy with customers.

Handsprime
2nd June 2015, 05:59 PM
I'm gonna bring this post back up since there has been a worse case of Toy Swapping in Australia, behold:

http://41.media.tumblr.com/d2137b7824fbe2a01b4454cae74dfd13/tumblr_npaml0GY8i1roirsjo1_1280.jpg

The fact it's a cheaper toy, badly beaten, and stuffed in badly beaten packaging makes me really mad :mad: imagine someone who wanted Stinger and saw this? I hope whoever did this ends up either Breaking or losing his Stinger.

UltraMarginal
2nd June 2015, 06:23 PM
that really ticks me off! I have no words to describe how angry that makes me. :mad:

CBratron
2nd June 2015, 06:29 PM
Is that even a whole Bumblebee?

UltimateGalvatron
2nd June 2015, 07:41 PM

No its only the back car kibble. So infuriating...

Handsprime
2nd June 2015, 07:51 PM

Nope, I looked at it and it was missing a few parts.

CBratron
2nd June 2015, 07:55 PM
I suspected it was just a shell but I've never owned any of the movie toys so I couldn't know for sure.

Bladestorm
2nd June 2015, 10:21 PM
what on earth!

How do people get away with doing that?
Guess I've been out of the country too long... I never knew people stooped so low.

Lint
3rd June 2015, 01:09 PM
How do people get away with doing that?

The fact that that monstrosity was repegged just baffles me. I don't know who I dislike more, the toy swappers or the merchant that declares that "some fool will totally buy this" by putting back spoiled merchandise on the shelf and selling it at full price.

Firestorm
11th June 2015, 08:34 PM
Had a run in with toy swapping at the Big W in the Melbourne CBD, where I found this unfortunate repackaging. Good luck building a giant robot http://i61.tinypic.com/2ms0mxs.jpg

Megatran
11th June 2015, 08:41 PM
Had a run in with toy swapping at the Big W in the Melbourne CBD, where I found this unfortunate repackaging. Good luck building a giant robot
Anyone trying to build Menasor will come to a Dead End. :p

ChlorHex
11th June 2015, 08:45 PM
This has got to stop... That's just wrong.

philby
11th June 2015, 10:00 PM
This has got to stop... That's just wrong.

I know, that was a horrible pun, really bombed out.

Bidoofdude
11th June 2015, 10:36 PM
They didn't take the comic or the card. Weird. The reason this stuff gets through is probably because there'd really be less of a fuss if they just accepted this. I'd say they don't care enough with such a pay to make a drama out of it.

Megatran
11th June 2015, 10:56 PM
I know, that was a horrible pun, really bombed out.
Hehehehehehehe. ;)

Krayt
25th June 2015, 10:12 AM
Had a run in with toy swapping at the Big W in the Melbourne CBD, where I found this unfortunate repackaging. Good luck building a giant robot http://i61.tinypic.com/2ms0mxs.jpg

this was still on the shelf today

ampoldj
25th June 2015, 10:21 AM
Well what I saw overseas was worst than this where a TRU MP Thundercracker was swapped with a Rat Trap (crap i already deleted that pic ages ago)

not sure what Rat Trap it was since i am no Beast Wars guy though :confused:

Raider
25th June 2015, 10:22 AM
this was still on the shelf today

I see this and all I think is "Why can't be Big W stock anything decent ever..." :p

Bladestorm
4th August 2015, 06:40 PM
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3692/20093010060_2e0b68dd2d_z.jpg
Saw this in target in parramatta yesterday... Horrifying. Even more so when my son said in front of a staff member it was wrong and he didn't even care!

DELTAprime
4th August 2015, 07:11 PM
When I go into work tomorrow I'm going to let my supervisor know that this is happening in increasing volume. Last thing I want is seeing this happening in my store.

BruiseLee
4th August 2015, 07:21 PM
Terrible. By the way the one that Firestorm found in post 24 was still sitting on the peg as of a couple of weeks back. Couldn't find a sales rep nearby.

Bidoofdude
4th August 2015, 07:35 PM
Had a run in with toy swapping at the Big W in the Melbourne CBD, where I found this unfortunate repackaging. Good luck building a giant robot

Was gonna post that. Has it moved? Was considering telling staff but they probably wouldn't care.

CHILENO20
4th August 2015, 08:04 PM

Golden Phoenix, Demonac, Paulbot & myself can confirm that was still there at the last meet :D

5FDP
5th August 2015, 02:16 PM
How stupid are the stores though for accepting these as returns. Most are clearly obvious going by the packaging artwork and the way they're stuffed inside.

Jinto
6th August 2015, 03:52 PM
It does seem a bit bizarre that people would take that risk. I returned an item to Toys-R-Us just last week (I promise it was the real item!) and had to show my drivers license and sign a return docket.

Must be some sloppy returns practices at these stores.

Firestorm
7th August 2015, 01:58 PM
Golden Phoenix, Demonac, Paulbot & myself can confirm that was still there at the last meet :D

Was still there yesterday too

Lint
7th August 2015, 04:12 PM
Was still there yesterday too

There's probably a lurker out there who's getting their kicks out of our reactions

sideswipes brother
7th August 2015, 04:56 PM
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3692/20093010060_2e0b68dd2d_z.jpg
Saw this in target in parramatta yesterday... Horrifying. Even more so when my son said in front of a staff member it was wrong and he didn't even care!

How can you be in Parramatta when your location is Hong Kong??:p

GoktimusPrime
7th August 2015, 10:27 PM
Cos there's more to her than meets the eye. :p

BruiseLee
7th August 2015, 10:37 PM
Cos there's more to her than meets the eye. :p

I sure hope you didn't try that as a pick up line in your younger days :p

Zommael
7th August 2015, 11:43 PM
I hope I never see an example of this, but if I do I will be reporting it to the store and not leaving until it's been dealt with. No kid should have to go through the upset of getting a toy they really want only to find it's not what they wanted at all.

Bladestorm
8th August 2015, 10:03 AM

Gok: you crack me up! Love it!

Simple answer: i'm over visiting the in-laws while my sprogs are on holidays. Don't worry ... I'll be back in the "city that never sleeps even in this summer heat" by the end of next week.

If anyone is meeting up at the gathering in parramatta tomorrow we can go see if that monstrosity is still on the shelves. I'd never seen anything like that... Toy swapping doesn't happen in Hong Kong that I have seen.