PDA

View Full Version : Battlestar Galactica

griffin
17th April 2010, 02:53 PM
(spoilers for those yet to see it)

I bought the boxset for Christmas (because channel 10 only played the first 2 season of the new series, and I wanted to see what happened in the old series), and have finally finished watching all of it (both old and new series).

I watched the old series over a couple months, as most of it wasn't that exciting.

The new series was more captivating, to the point that I ended up watching it all in 3 weeks because I had to keep finding out what happens next. Plus, Grace Park (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grace_Park_(actress))is such a hottie... She's older than me, in her mid-30s, but doesn't even look 20 (that's what I love about asians - they don't age as quickly as white foke :p ).

I also made the decision to read beforehand who the 12 Cylon humans were, to see if the characters were written properly as Cylons before the audience found out. Problem was, we didn't end up having any as long-term infiltrators, so ended up wasting the surprise element. That's because none of the regular seven were in the show for very long before each was revealed as a Cylon, and four of the final five found out who they were when the audience did. So the only real mystery was with the last one, which might have been an interesting guessing game for the half-dozen episodes before she was revealed.

I actually would have enjoyed it more if a few of the 12 (or 7) were in the show for some time before the Audience knew, just so that you'd go back and re-watch episodes to see if they acted true to their hidden character. As it was, the first Cylon (Cavill) didn't seem to react in any way in the show to suggest that he knew the final five, before they were revealed. Even his interaction with Ellen on New Caprica had no indication that he knew who she was. I would have liked to see him be true to his character with subtle, hidden acts and comments, obviously without giving it away, but in hindsight would seem obvious later. He never did, and it wasn't until 'The Plan' that we got to fully see Cavill's character.

And the ending... I guess it was one way of having an ending without too many loose ends. Still not sure about Starbuck's character - the origin of her purpose, and resurrection (her and her ship suddenly existing).

So, anyone else watch it?
Any thoughts?

Anyone see the new 'Caprica' show? Is it worth watching?

Sky Shadow
17th April 2010, 03:24 PM
The Reimagined Series of Galactica is one of the greatest and most coherent shows since the beginning of science fiction television. And I've certainly enjoyed Caprica so far - definitely watch the pilot to see if it's your thing - one way or the other, you'll know by the end of the episode if you want to pursue the series.

5FDP
17th April 2010, 03:52 PM
Plus, Grace Park (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grace_Park_(actress))is such a hottie... She's older than me, in her mid-30s, but doesn't even look 20 (that's what I love about asians - they don't age as quickly as white foke :p ).

Haven't seen the new series but I would have to agree with you on this point. It might be a reason to watch it :D

gamblor916
17th April 2010, 04:07 PM
NuBSG is great! Enjoyed the whole series though the ending was a bit of a let down.
Caprica is heading in a strange direction but I'll give it a go.

kup
17th April 2010, 05:16 PM
Caprica is certainly different to BSG in style and feel but I am liking it so far.

Burn
17th April 2010, 08:23 PM
Anyone see the new 'Caprica' show? Is it worth watching?

At first, no. But it does get better.

Not the best show out there (considering it's SyFy and they're of the deluded belief Stargate Universe is brilliant) but it's better than other stuff on the same network.

kup
17th April 2010, 11:23 PM
IMO SG Universe is one of the worse Sci-Fi shows I have seen in a long time.

Caprica isn't great but its ok and enjoyable. SGU is just frustrating and depressing on how stupid it is.

shokwave2
18th April 2010, 12:22 AM
BSG (new series) is my all-time fave TV show. I watched it from the very beginning and was always waiting for the next episode to hit the torrents.

Yeah a few of the episodes dragged on and it got a bit religious near the end, but i could have watched this every week for the rest of my life. But i guess they had to end it before it got boring. A lot of fans complained about the final episode and how they tied things up. I was happy with it and it kepts things "sci-fi-ish".

Also, four of the Final Five were sleeper agents and only found out who they were when activated. Fans complained about this but it seems logical and i guess the Caprica series will explain this better in the future. It was also good how they tied in the original Cylon Centurion's as guardians.

I've collected alot of the BSG collectibles over the years but have sold most of them. I've kept the Cylon Centurion statues, busts, figures, etc. I really love their design. And i would love to get this if i ever won lotto. http://www.sideshowtoy.com/?page_id=4489&sku=255&source=search0109

It was one of the best TV series of the last decade. Great story, great effects, great music, great characters. BSG forever.

Tober
18th April 2010, 01:46 AM
BSG was like largely enjoyable but I loathed the ending.

Just in case you are unaware of them, there are two movies ('Razor' and 'The Plan') as well as three sets of webisodes that tie into the series.

Caprica has been improving steadily.

shokwave2
18th April 2010, 11:43 AM
I enjoyed Razor, but The Plan was a bit slow paced and too religious for me. The Razor was released sepretaley and included with Season 3 boxset. By the time The Plan was released, BSG was over and the characters had already been developed and exposed.

My fave episodes out the series would be have to be "Scar (season 2 - episode 15)" and "Exodus Part 2 (season 3 - episode 4)".

Omega Supreme
18th April 2010, 08:39 PM
I've actually just started watching this show(new version) about a month ago. I'm currently up to the season 2 finale, so I will hold off on commenting too much for now.

I have enjoyed what I have seen of the show so far, although at times its alittle slow. I enjoy watching Gaius and Saul Tigh, not a fan of Starbuck or Lee and absolutly can't stand Roslin. I like the way they have replaced a common swear word with "Frack".

Autocon
20th April 2010, 11:30 PM
so they blew up the cylons?