PDA

View Full Version : eBay seller faces fines after bidding on own items to raise prices

1AZRAEL1
22nd April 2010, 10:10 AM
We all know it happens, but glad to see someone got done for it. And a massive fine as well.

SMH

A British seller on eBay who drove up prices for his own goods by secretly bidding for them faces fines of up to £50,000 ($83,000).

Read the rest here (http://www.smh.com.au/technology/technology-news/ebay-seller-faces-fines-after-bidding-on-own-items-to-raise-prices-20100421-szqp.html).

5FDP
22nd April 2010, 10:30 AM
Watch the flood-gates open on cases raised for expected shill-bidding.

Sky Shadow
22nd April 2010, 10:34 AM
We all know it happens, but glad to see someone got done for it. And a massive fine as well.

Read the rest here (http://www.smh.com.au/technology/technology-news/ebay-seller-faces-fines-after-bidding-on-own-items-to-raise-prices-20100421-szqp.html).

Good. About bloody time. Typically it wasn't as a result of eBay itself though - I've reported numerous shill bidders and it never does anything about them.

5FDP
22nd April 2010, 10:37 AM
Good. About bloody time. Typically it wasn't as a result of eBay itself though - I've reported numerous shill bidders and it never does anything about them.

If this British bloke actually gets prosecuted, Ebay would have no choice to investigate every case reported to them as they would then be obliged to comply as there would be a legal precedence. If they didn't, they could potentially face their own law suit.

Hursticon
22nd April 2010, 10:59 AM
It's about time somebody was caught, like others I hope that eBay starts investigations very soon as this practice shouldn't be tolerated.

PascTF
8th June 2010, 12:25 AM
That's common practice. One that is very famous for that in the Transformers community is seller menasor1979/jenny/claudia/tons of other IDs. He mostly sells stolen samples. He's been suspended numerous times from Ebay but he always comes back. I recently bought a Leader Starscream from one of his IDs (I didn't know it was him), x2toy1980 or something like that, sent payment mid-April, never got anything. I eventually got my money back after filing a claim and then saw that some other seller (icetwin65) had one for sale in May. Won the auction, sent payment... surprise, same Paypal address! Have yet to receive that one although the tracking number seems to be working. He charged EMS and sent the toy Lettermail. Gee. Just check his feedbacks, all his alt IDs are linked together in some way. I'll make sure to let people when I can finally leave feedback.

That said, I've reported his auctions numerous times but Ebay never bothered.

SuspectimusPrime
17th June 2010, 07:04 PM
That's common practice. One that is very famous for that in the Transformers community is seller menasor1979/jenny/claudia/tons of other IDs. He mostly sells stolen samples. He's been suspended numerous times from Ebay but he always comes back. I recently bought a Leader Starscream from one of his IDs (I didn't know it was him), x2toy1980 or something like that, sent payment mid-April, never got anything. I eventually got my money back after filing a claim and then saw that some other seller (icetwin65) had one for sale in May. Won the auction, sent payment... surprise, same Paypal address! Have yet to receive that one although the tracking number seems to be working. He charged EMS and sent the toy Lettermail. Gee. Just check his feedbacks, all his alt IDs are linked together in some way. I'll make sure to let people when I can finally leave feedback.

That said, I've reported his auctions numerous times but Ebay never bothered.

Crap. I bought something from him almost two weeks ago.

His feedback does seem to be steadily on the rise since then.