PDA

View Full Version : Financing your hobby- how do you?

Vector Sigma 13
18th March 2008, 08:28 PM
Im a poor family man, lol. Ive been buying and selling a bit on ebay to finance my tf habit. Does anyone else do this?

I only spend maybe $50- $80 per month (because im a poor family man). Whats the most a member has spent in a month on transformers? Dont have to be exact- perhaps a round about figure? Just curious.

kup
18th March 2008, 08:51 PM
Im a poor family man, lol. Ive been buying and selling a bit on ebay to finance my tf habit. Does anyone else do this?

I only spend maybe $50- $80 per month (because im a poor family man). Whats the most a member has spent in a month on transformers? Dont have to be exact- perhaps a round about figure? Just curious.

lol I am ashamed to say but it reached about $600 on one night! However this was from my savings and for a 1/1000000 chance to get Botcon toys at decent prices. It took me a while to repay it but I managed.

roller
18th March 2008, 08:52 PM
whenever i have a job i dont seem to spend anything

its when im unemployed i'll see something on ebay or someone here will be selling something, or there will be a toy fair

my spending on tfs has been getting smaller over the last 3 yrs as i slide into destitution. bloody mortage and parents stupid investment habits and for not winning the lottery

Tetsuwan Convoy
18th March 2008, 09:08 PM
A bit of selling old stuff is the way to go. I try and keep it down, but this year I have spent heaps. Damn you botcon and large Encore Tfs. Its funny the things we do to keep on going. If I can sell stuff and have enough to get some TFs without touching my savings, then wa-hey! Thats great. I guess the biggest thing is not to go crazy with it all.

And its the hardest thing not too:D

GoktimusPrime
18th March 2008, 09:11 PM
Buying toys while they're current instead of paying for inflated after-market prices really helps. For example, all of my e-Hobby Transformers I've purchased as soon as they're out - so I always pay just the standard price for them. I've lost Gamede and I'm still waiting for someone to halves on with a Magnificus - i.e.: if someone wants a Magnificus but doesn't want Gamede I'm willing to go halves - the other party can keep the box and all inserts, I just need the Microman figure and I'll pay 50% of the total cost) - but I reckon paying half the after-market price for Magnificus/Gamede may cost me more than what I originally paid for the entire set.

Sometimes it means spending more money in a short burst at some times - usually when a new wave comes out, but in the long term I reckon it saves me time and money.

The early bird catches the worm - you snooze you lose. ;)

kup
18th March 2008, 09:14 PM
To fund my collection and free some space I am also considering selling some of my non TF stuff like Blizzard action figures such as Warcraft.

autobreadticon
18th March 2008, 09:25 PM
i live with my uncle and hes rich :P, mostly my part time job

Saintly
18th March 2008, 10:13 PM
gosh it's like funding for beer or ciggies (might you, I don't do either)..

I think my spending per month is about 30-70, which makes me even poorer :)

Vector Sigma 13
19th March 2008, 05:27 AM
Hmm, i was just referred to as a scalper in another post- im trying to sell 2 ultimate Bumblebees on Au ebay (to help pay for the 3rd one for me). Im not trying to get rich from this, just support the habbit. How do members feel about this? I put them on for $95 ($88.75 retail + a few bucks to cover my listing fee and final value fee).

This is what i put down in lazerbeaks tf sightings and i reccon it sounds pretty fair:

My missus spotted some Ultimate Bumblebee's at our local Big W, she reccons they were only just put on the shelf (retail price $88.73). She bought 1 and ive put 2 on layby. Im trying to sell 2 on ebay. If these dont sell i am quite willing to pass these on at the retail price to any member who is interested (buyer pays postage). Im not much of a business man lol, so well see what happens.

Anyway im interested in feedback on this issue.

i_amtrunks
19th March 2008, 08:05 AM
I don't smoke, drink, or club, so all the money that most of my friends spend on those items, I can spend on transformers, cd's and the like.

Although I am glad that we have been in somewhat of a drought of late, it's saved me a bit of money!

iceburn
19th March 2008, 08:11 AM
i just use whatever money i've earned for the month (after paying the necessary house rent, bills, food and fuel for the car). Often will some or little savings for my future...

1orion2many
19th March 2008, 09:42 AM
:oI'm very embarresed to say this but I think I must have spent around $700-$800 last month, that's why I'm broke now:eek:. This I might add is well out of the norm for me as I would normally spend about $150 per month:).

Paulbot
19th March 2008, 10:03 AM
I need to budget so I can save more money but I don't. I just buy what I want when I see it on sale in the shops, and buy some things online if I can get a good deal (but try to space online purchases out to only one a week)

kup
19th March 2008, 10:47 AM
I came in late in lots of things that I want (eg BTs) So I am forced to pay after market prices for them. In the case of Jazz and Prowl they reach like $180-$200 each. Several G1 figures that I am after also cost about as much.

The strange thing is that every time I set myself to save some more money or go light on the TF purchases, some rare one in a million offer appears and I am forced to take it because I would regret it later or will cost more later.

Borgeman
19th March 2008, 10:49 AM
Financing your hobby- how do you?

Poorly :p

George

Tiby
19th March 2008, 06:00 PM
I have had some horrifically expensive months, that I can't talk about because it will undo all the therapy :D

I use credit cards to finance the addic... hobby.

dirge
19th March 2008, 09:25 PM
Well usually I tend to spend most or all of whatever I have left after I budget on TFs.

In recent months - with the AUD at stupidly high levels - griffin (and some of the other longer-standing fans here) can attest to how much more expensive eBay used to be - I've dipped heavily into savings to buy pretty much everything I had a latent interest in getting.

So for the next year or so... I'll buy some of the new stuff released, and slowly "pay back" my savings and allow myself to slowly open all the stockpiled stuff I have amassed!

turtle boy
1st April 2008, 06:51 PM
this month, over $1000 easy:(:)

Geminii
4th April 2008, 05:39 PM
Mostly by not spending all that much on Transformers. I've gone years between buys, and when I do splash out I'll often get a whole pile at a discount rather than paying full price at stores.

Of course, it helps that I got into real estate recently, partly so I could fund Transformer-related expenses like BotCon trips. A couple of hours' work a year and six-figure payoffs mean a lot more free time and cash than I had working 9-5.