PDA

View Full Version : RotF Legends Devastator (Gen1 colours)

SharkyMcShark
24th April 2010, 09:33 PM
I picked this up the other day from Empire Toys (local import shop). I got the Green and purple G1 homage set for a cool $70 (that's roughly the price of 7 Legends figures is it not? I don't usually pick up Legends class stuff).

I must say that I am very very impressed. From the photos I thought that the G1 colours wouldn't work, but they look marvellous in person - especially in vehicle mode. All of them have the constructicon green and purple, as well as black/dark grey for treads and detailing, and they've all got red for eyes. Scavenger (wheelman) has grey for his shovel and cab area, but apart from that they all share the same four colours.

The individual vehicle modes are well enough detailed. The best is probably Hightower or Rampage (the jumping jack one from the film). They've both got a good amount of detail and hide the robot modes really week, in addition to looking groovy with the G1 colours. The rest are also quite good - Overload, Long Haul, and Mix Master are very good representations of various construction vehicles. Scrapper (bulldozer) isn't as good as the rest - he's still quite good but the back end of his vehicle mode is very elongated to accomodate the arm connector port. Scavenger's is the weakest of the lot, as he's shovel arm only has one point of articulation, and you can tell from any angle except head on that he's hiding two large wheels in the chassis of the alt mode. However, given the scale and context (combiner ie needs three modes), they are very very good.

The individual robot modes are a bit of a mixed bag. They generally look very nice, but their articulation is more on the scale of a minicon than your average legends figure. Again, this is excusable given that they all need three modes and don't have much size to work with. The nicest looking robot mode probably goes to Overload (articulated dump truck, not seen in robot mode in the movie), with it looking imposing and bulky. Articulation is not amazing - the shoulders are on ball joints but the legs can only splay sideways. Scrapper also has a really nice robot mode - compared with the others in the set he's the most G1 looking of the lot, he has nice straight limbs and is proportionaed reasonably like G1 figure. He's also the best articulated of the lot, with ball jointed hips and ankles, and a very nice double jointed shoulder set up that allows him complete freedom of arm movement and the ability to shrug his shoulders. The only other robot mode we've not seen in a larger sizeclass is Hightower, who forms a sort of wierd scorprion/T rex hybrid. It might seem like a cop out but the character was designed this way from the start (concept art attests to this), so it's not like they ran out of ideas and gave him a slapped on robot mode in the toy design process.

The rest of the robot modes we've seen before. Long Haul looks nice but can't do much (arms move sideways only, legs on ball joint at the hip). Scavenger is much like the larger Demoilshor release except with less joints in the arm. He's the weakest of the robot modes too for my money, if only because the panels that form the side of his alt mode are on pegs that like to come unstuck on mine. Mixmaster looks very nice and is quite posable, and Rampage has balljointed shoulders, and is in the jumping jack mode seen in the film (as opposed to the crab tank mode the deluxe toy also has). Overall, it you're looking to only buy one or two (you'd have to import from Japan to do that) then I'd heartily recomend Scrapper and Overload as standalone Legends figures. The rest are quite nice, but again suffer from having to combine.

The combined mode is a thing of beauty. Long Haul and Rampage form the legs, and Overload froms the hips and spine essentially. Scavenger plugs into Overload to form the torso, and then Scrapper and Hightower plug into the sides of his shovel arms to form Devatator's arms. Then all that's left is for Mixmaster to plug into Scavenger to form the shoulders and head. If this confuses you the best way to think about it is that Scrapper, Hightower, Long Haul, and Rampage are limbs, and the central body is formed from essentially putting Mixmaster on top of a splayed out Scavenger, and that on top Overload. The combined mode looks very imposing. There's a nice paint wash on the face, and the bright red used for the eyes carries over to this mode too. You can get a decent amount of posability out of the arms, although how much of it is intended (as opposed to working along transformation joints) I don't know. The legs... well you can adjust the height by changing the angle of the knees and the ankles, but theres no forwards or backwards movement. It is possible to get him on all fours by turning the legs around to face the wrong way, which allows them to be manipulated such that the feet are flat on the ground while his hands are touching it too. Overall, it's about the size of a deluxe and looks very imposing.

I would strongly recomend this set. For $70 AUD you're getting an immense amount of play value. The vehicles modes are by and large very good, and the robot modes are decent if nothing special. The combined mode is a thing of beauty and makes me yearn for what might have been if Hasbro released a larger version with triple changing robots. The best of the set is Scrapper - he has a nice vehicle mode and one of the best robot modes in the set. The disappointment of the set is Scavenger when taken as an individual robot, but then he was designed around the paramter that he was the torso of Devastator and had to hold the arms on.

A strong 8/10 for me. Get it if you can.

GoktimusPrime
24th April 2010, 09:55 PM
I got the Green and purple G1 homage set for a cool $70 (that's roughly the price of 7 Legends figures is it not? I don't usually pick up Legends class stuff).
Yes, $7 is the standard price for a Legends Transformer. So you got them at a very good price. :)

Heh, Scrapper's my favourite and I'm not terribly fond of Rampage... though Hightower's my least favourite due to his fail robot mode (based on fail concept art - but yeah).

But overall I think the Legends Constructicons are just p u r e w i n. Considering that:
1. They're engineered from highly complex/detailed movie designs from the ROTF.
2. They can transform from robot to vehicle AND merge into Devastator
3. They're built as Legends Class - so they're restricted by size and budget
...so taking all that into consideration they're very well made toys and offer the best value for money compared to any other ROTF Constructicon/Devastator toy out there.

Okay sure, Legends Scavenger has less articulation than Voyager Demolishor... but the Legends cost about $7 a pop, whereas Voyager Demolishor retails at $50 (fortunately I got my Demolishor on sale). His paintjob's not as nice looking as Demolishor's either, but it looks better than Combiner Class Scavenger's - and of course, Combiner Class Scavenger doesn't even have a robot mode!

So IMO the Legends figures give you the most bang for your buck. :) So I voted for "Get it!" ;D

Sutton
30th April 2010, 10:27 PM
Dear Target,

Hurry up and release this damn figure already. And don't charge anymore than $49 for it or I'll just get it off Ebay.

Love, Sutton

Sky Shadow
1st May 2010, 09:27 PM
I picked this up the other day from Empire Toys (local import shop). I got the Green and purple G1 homage set for a cool $70 (that's roughly the price of 7 Legends figures is it not? I don't usually pick up Legends class stuff).

Yes, $7 is the standard price for a Legends Transformer. So you got them at a very good price. :)

:confused:

Seven dollars times seven is $49. Surely that can't make $70 "a very good price". As neat as this G1 Constructicon homage is, I would balk at paying that much for Legends. For example, I bought this Legends five-pack because I wanted the Warpath-as-Gutcruncher homage, and it was $24.96US ($30AUish) after shipping: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290396582261&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT An extra $40AU for just two more Legends toys and the ability to combine seems like a lot to me.

GoktimusPrime
2nd May 2010, 04:17 PM
Seven dollars times seven is $49. Surely that can't make $70 "a very good price".
I was assuming that the $70 was including the cost of import (e.g.: currency conversion, shipping) -- cos that's how much I paid for my EZ Legends Devastator all up. If $70 was the base cost of the toy alone, then yeah...