PDA

View Full Version : Autobot leader in the Movie if Optimus was gone?

griffin
19th March 2008, 04:24 PM
In a story I was thinking up at work, set after the movie, I was trying to work out who would be the new leader, or second in command, if Optimus was gone or out of action (incapacitated). This would be after the movie, so Jazz is out. But of Bumblebee, Ironhide and Ratchet, did the movie portray any of them with leadership potential. If so, who of the surviving trio would best lead while Optimus was gone?
I had a tough time trying to pick one over the others, which could be seen as a flaw in the characterisation of the Movie Autobots - having the one big, powerful leader and just a band of weak followers.
What are your thoughts and why?

autobreadticon
19th March 2008, 04:32 PM
hell no for a rodimus debut...

iceburn
19th March 2008, 04:35 PM
i would say Ratchet would make a great leader if it's amongst those 3 Autobots left. He's more analytical and calm when making decisions.

However, aside from those characters... Grimlock shall rule them all!!! :P
Well, will Starscream ever had the chance to take charge of the Autobots too while attempting to be ruler of Decepticons???

(kk..enough of my crap) *sshhh*

Thanatos
19th March 2008, 04:44 PM
I viewed a lot of the characters in comparison to Beast Wars standings/personalities when I sat through the movie a few times. I thought of them as follows:

Ironhide: Dinobot
Ratchet: Rhinox
Bumblebee: Cheetor

So overall, I think Ratchet is probably the best bet at a 2nd in command, with Ironhide breaking all the rules when the s%!# hit the fan in combat.

I'm sure they're work it out until Ultra Magnus got there... *eyes twinkle*

Tiby
19th March 2008, 06:45 PM
I'd normally say Ratchet, but I think you are right Griffin. The scene at Sam's house was pretty telling as far as characterisation goes.

I think Bumblebee would step up, a la Hot Rod or Cheetor (in BM). Apart from being the most experienced on Earth, he really developed in the movie, showing he can still protect the humans after what they did to him. The others were not so ready to do so.

roller
19th March 2008, 07:45 PM
Sam would be calling the shots

he'd be like "Guys we gotta battle the jewelry store, they took Mikalas ring"

him and bumblebee would be using cybertronian tech to gamble and stuff

Robzy
19th March 2008, 08:15 PM
Bumblemus Prime! :D

GoktimusPrime
19th March 2008, 10:36 PM
"Arise, Bumblemus Prime"

http://www.freewebs.com/fourth_heir/artwork/bbprime.jpg

1orion2many
19th March 2008, 11:46 PM
:) I go with the crusty old timer Ironhide, strictly for battle skills and experince:D. Fortress Maximus could always WOW the crowds;).

goro
20th March 2008, 12:57 AM
We need an ultra magnus.. muhahahhaha... how awesome woudl his semi-trailer be!

Bartrim
20th March 2008, 09:27 AM
I was originally going to say that Ironhide wouldn't be a good leader because he wouldn't see any point being on earth since the all-spark was destroyed and leave. But then I remembered at the end of the movie Prime declares Earth their new home. So in conclusion my vote goes to Ironhide:)

GoktimusPrime
20th March 2008, 12:46 PM
Ironhidimus Prime would be smiting any annoying humans though. ;p

i_amtrunks
20th March 2008, 01:43 PM
Ironhidimus Prime would be smiting any annoying humans though. ;p

And that's bad because? :D

STL
20th March 2008, 03:46 PM
Giving some contemplation, I think none of them are fit to lead. BB is a candidate b/c of his connection w/ the humans but I think he hasn't got the leadership qualities. Well, it's hard to say who has considering how little characterisation we got out of the movie.

My gut is to go with Ironhide. Ratchet's a reliable second. That's how he comes across. But never a leader. BB on the other hand is too playful and adventureous. Ironhide is hard and tough and would qualify. He doesn't have Prime's conviction though. None of them do.

I actually do think though that they'd be more likely to work as a group of three, coming into conflict and bouncing off one another in the decision making process.

Adzma
20th March 2008, 07:51 PM
I'd have to go with Ratchet since he's the most cool-headed of the trio.

The last thing we need is Ultra Magnus to make an appearance, there are enough white Prime's on the market. :p If done right he'd look neat though; a white Prime with ice-blue flames or something.

GoktimusPrime
20th March 2008, 09:13 PM
The real BB should take leadership of the Decepticons! :p
http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/transformers/images/thumb/6/62/BB1.jpg/300px-BB1.jpg"Hello Mr. Bay!"

As for the Autobots - the choice is obvious... Time Warrior!
http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/transformers/images/thumb/5/58/Timewarrior.jpg/250px-Timewarrior.jpg"What's the time? Time to kick your a55!"

griffin
21st March 2008, 02:54 AM
My thoughts were that Ironhide was too hot-headed, with little concern for collateral damage (bystanders, fleshlings), but would probably have the most tactical experience to lead in a conflict situation. Or he would just run in with all cannons blazing with no strategy.
Bumblebee appears to be more of a scout, but is pretty powerful as a warrior (defeated Barricade and Brawl). He also was trusted with the Allspark Cube, which would make him very important in the chain of command.
Ratchet on the other hand appears to be wise and reserved. His background as a medic may appear on the outside to be unlikely as a leader in a wartime environment, but sometimes the best way to survive a conflict is to avoid it in the first place. He doesn't appear to be a pacifist, but his experience as a medic would probably lead him to be more mindful on how best to avoid casualties in battle, and develop strategies that would result in less casualties for him to have to repair.
Out of the three, I'd agree that there is none that shines better than the others (which would actually make for a more interesting storyline), but Ratchet would be my vote - or at least, the one who would end up being the more successful leader if they were all put to the test.

Soundwarp
21st March 2008, 08:46 AM
I say that they would need to introduce another character, say Ultra Magnus.

GoktimusPrime
21st March 2008, 11:34 AM
Or he would just run in with all cannons blazing with no strategy.
I disagree. Ironhide seems to be a decent battlefield officer. When Starscream was closing in, it was Ironhide who first transformed and yelled, "It's Starscream!", enciting the other Autobots to transform and prepare for an offensive. Ironhide then quickly ordered Bumblebee to help him erect the Furby truck trailer as a shield/barrier. And he's by no means a reckless gunner in battle - his shots were all quite precise.

The thing that would make Ironhide ill-suited to be Autobot leader on Earth is that he seems too impulsive to lead a covert operation - on Earth anyway; this was particularly shown in Ironhide's willingness to rub out annoying humans. And "pacifist" Ratchet agreed with him! :p

STL
21st March 2008, 02:45 PM
I disagree. Ironhide seems to be a decent battlefield officer. When Starscream was closing in, it was Ironhide who first transformed and yelled, "It's Starscream!", enciting the other Autobots to transform and prepare for an offensive. Ironhide then quickly ordered Bumblebee to help him erect the Furby truck trailer as a shield/barrier. And he's by no means a reckless gunner in battle - his shots were all quite precise.

Great point. I forgot about that.

GoktimusPrime
21st March 2008, 04:49 PM
:)

It was Ironhide who led the counteroffensive against the Decepticons at Mission City - well before Optimus Prime got on the scene. Ironhide even worked with Lennox's plan - "Get to the roof Sam, we will protect you!"

When Prime arrive, he basically followed on from Lennox and Ironhide's plan that was already in motion. Prime was well needed reinforcements for the Autobot-Human alliance, but it was Lennox and Ironhide who'd initially spearheaded that operation.

NEMESIS PRIME
21st March 2008, 06:40 PM
We need an ultra magnus.. muhahahhaha... how awesome woudl his semi-trailer be!

Horray for a white and blue Prime lol (Looks better than blue/red/white) :D

:p

:p If done right he'd look neat though; a white Prime with ice-blue flames or something.

That would be AWESOME!!!!!!!

6gyrating_gynoid9
24th March 2008, 10:50 PM
if the movie makers decided to kill off prime, I'm going with nostalgia and selecting hot rod===RODIMUS PRIME.

Dunno, maybe they can re-imagine hot rod into a luxury sports car (ferrari, masarati??) and re-morph him into a bigger "cybertron form" autobot when the matrix is handed down to him (he then trans scans another "bigger" vehicle to fit his size).

I think in the late cartoon no leader ever came close to Optimus except Rodimus . The matrix of leadership made hot rod mature enough in a short amount of time to fill in for Optimus (I also remember that Hot Rod somewhat found it a heavy burden/responsibility filling in?).

In the end though, Hot Rod pulled it off well (against galvatron) before handing the matrix back to the resurrected Prime. After all, he was the "chosen one" to "light their darkest hour" lol.

iceburn
24th March 2008, 11:09 PM

That proofs Ironhide makes a good warrior during battle but definitely not a leader (among the 3). What happened in the end with Bumblebee losing his legs. A real leader doesn't risk his men to get killed or be injured...so still going for Ratchet

GoktimusPrime
25th March 2008, 10:13 AM
Ironhide is ill-suited as a leader on a covert mission like what the Autobots were doing on Earth. He's very good at direct combat tactics and achieving a decisive victory, but not very good at leading missions that require subterfuge and guile.

I don't know if Ratchet's much better though. Remember that Ratchet was in agreement with Ironhide when it came to "offing" Sam's parents for being highly annoying. Ratchet doesn't seem to have displayed much in battle initiative or charisma in the movie - merely following the directions of others.

I think that Jazz would be a good candidate if he hadn't been killed by Megatron as Jazz does show good charismatic initiative. Jazz led the Autobot counteroffensive against Devastator ("Decepticon punk!") and also led the defensive manoeuvres against Megatron; which is where Jazz fell in the line of duty. Had Jazz survived I think that he would've been a good replacement for Prime. And besides, he's next in rank anyway. d:

iceburn
25th March 2008, 10:20 AM
agreed :P where's sari and her allspark key....

Paulbot
25th March 2008, 10:33 AM
You jest, but give Mikaela something phallic like an All Spark Key to hold and watch the teenage (and adult) guys drool even more!

GoktimusPrime
25th March 2008, 01:37 PM
heh. heh. http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/avatars/Quagmire.gif