PDA

View Full Version : dying plastic questions??

chuttla
29th April 2010, 11:07 PM
Not sure if this falls under this section, but i was just wondering if any one here has tried dying plastic parts.
Reason being is that id like to have a go at it myself, but i dont know where to buy the dye from?:)

Tabias Prime
29th April 2010, 11:28 PM
I was just on the TFW2005 site and saw this and then I saw your post on wanting to how to dye plastic.This might be of interest for you...:D:D

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/tutorials-how-tos/214539-how-dye-figure.html

snaketales
30th April 2010, 10:22 AM
This may also be of help

http://www.kidbash.com/blog/2010/3/1/dls-fool-proof-chip-proof-warp-proof-base-coat-color-techniq.html

chuttla
30th April 2010, 01:50 PM
cheers,thanks guys.:)

SMHFConvoy
30th April 2010, 05:49 PM
I'm going to attempt to dye plastic this weekend, I'll tell you the outcome.

Soundwarp
1st May 2010, 09:41 AM
Sorry i missed this, i have died heaps and heaps of plastis.

Big pot, simmering.
Add Acetone!!!!
Commonly found in nail polish remover!

Easy!

SMHFConvoy
1st May 2010, 03:26 PM
Currently dying plastic. It is effective but it's not a quick method. I'm dying the neon green parts from ROTF Breakaway to black.

If you do decide to dye your plastic do it in a well ventilated area. Maybe the kitchen is not the ideal place to do it. A gas hot plate in the garage is what I'm doing.

Acetone spits when added to the boiling water which has been mentioned here and in various articles.

If you have a decent mask with filters use it. The paper ones aren't going to cut it, copped a cloud of vapour because of that. Won't be doing this again until I get one.

After all that the result is good.

chuttla
2nd May 2010, 05:24 PM
I'm going to attempt to dye plastic this weekend, I'll tell you the outcome.

cool, feel free to throw up some before and after pics:)

Sorry i missed this, i have died heaps and heaps of plastis.

Big pot, simmering.
Add Acetone!!!!
Commonly found in nail polish remover!

Easy!

ive got a 500ml bottle of acetone, so i just find the dye in the laundry section of the supermarket then?