PDA

View Full Version : PC Help needed: Internal, twisted cable(s) placement

King Atlas
5th May 2010, 11:20 PM
Okay Im in need of some help. Im really not good with computers, especially with internal components. Im not even sure were to begin on a search engine or youtube since I don't know what Im dealing with :o. Hope someone can help me. I'll try to be as descriptive as possible.

1. My computer is old not sure what year maybe between 2000-2002. Im upgrading and need to transfer data.

2. The problem: I accidentely unplugged some important-looking cables while cleaning.

3. There are six (very thin) loose cables that are twisted and bunched up together. Im scared of putting them in the wrong place and my comp blowing up or something because of incorrect electricy flow :p

4. Each has two different coloured cables twisted around each other, and ends in a black plug the plugs into two pins on the motherboard. One requires three pins.

5. Each is colour coded for a reason I assume.
*White with yellow
*white with blue
*white with red
*white with black
*white with green (requires three pins)
*orange and black

6. The white and black cable is the only one I know the function of. It powers the button that you push to turn the computer on. The others are hidden in a hole below the harddrive.

7. Luckily I was able to remember where they plugged into. There is a space with 9 pins. Below the pins is written "+ ACPI-LED PW BT"
and directly below "HD-LED-RESET".

Sorry If I made any mistakes, spelling or otherwise. I rushed this....
Oh and I don't an available camera atm :(

MV75
5th May 2010, 11:29 PM
Just sound like the front panel connections.

They would be

power switch
Power on led
HDD led
Speaker
Reset.

The motherboard should have it screen printed on what goes where. You'll need to follow the cables to figure out which is which to the front panel. And if they don't work, just turn them around.

But all you really need is the power switch. The rest are pretty much redundant.

King Atlas
5th May 2010, 11:34 PM
Okay, I understand what you mean. Just in case though, can I place them anywhere on the 9 pins with something bad happening?

Hursticon
5th May 2010, 11:36 PM
What those cables are for are things like the front panel LEDs to show you that the power is on - the HDD is on and working, The power button - Reset button etc.

If you still have your motherboard manual I'd suggest looking for the placement of these cables in it as it will show you which cable goes where and you should also notice that on the black 2pin plugs on the ends of the cables they should have abbreviations for what they are written in white.

Try to match up the 2pin plugs with the pins on the motherboard.

If you don't have the motherboard manual, have a look on the Motherboard for some text written in white that should have the manufacturer (e.g. Gigabyte), the motherboard type (could be a series of letters and numbers or a word after the manufacturer name) and should end with "Revision x.xx".

If you can find the above, whack that into a search engine or manufacturer's website and see if you can find a manual for your motherboard that should come in a file format called .pdf which uses Adobe Acrobat Reader to read .pdf files.

I hope that helps and isn't too confusing. :D