PDA

View Full Version : Telstra Next G Phones & Wireless in QLD

Maxiewolf
6th May 2010, 09:22 AM
If your wondering "is it just me?" or "WTF" and you have a Telstra Next G Phone or mobile service and your in QLD - Telstras 3G/Next G network will be down for the next 1-4 hours possibly longer.

To be able to make phone calls *and access the net... VERY slowly* - you need to manually set your phones to GSM/GPRS in the connectivity settings.

Just trying to save some of you an hour phone call to find that out.

Cheers.

5FDP
6th May 2010, 11:36 AM
Must be just Telstra base stations only. Possibly a cable break. I haven't been made aware of any issues with Optus coverage.

Maxiewolf
6th May 2010, 01:00 PM
Its not anything to do with other carriers, or a cable break cos the fixed lines and GSM services are fine. It only affects Next G & 3G Telstra services (though they have down graded it from a whole state wide thing) Though My wireless modem has finally dicided of its own accord to pick up GPRS... all be it very slooowly.

this is what they officially say as of 12.05 pm -

Telstra is working to fix issues with some of our radio network controllers in parts of QLD this morning.

Some Next G customers in Brisbane, Townsville, the Sunshine Coast and other parts of QLD may experiencing difficulties making and receiving calls.

We are confident we will have the issue resolved soon.

Edit: Oh though I will add the hillarity - i went down to work this morning to see if it was just "me" when i got there the manager was swearing and snarling about his iphone not working and I said "I got good news and bad news for you..." (cos id past a couple in the street walking around with their laptop trying to get their prepaid wireless to work lol) "Good news is.. its not your phone... badd news is.. its everyones telstra phone"

Oh it was REALLY satisfying to stand in the shop in casual clothes watching the hordes of people start gathering at the door then they all ran in at once "My phones not working!!!" etc etc... oh it was so funny. I mean really you would think 10 people standing around outside the shop at that hour of the morning may be wondering why all their phones arent working? :D It was very satisfying to say "Oh well now I know what the problem is.. iiiim going home now" lol

5FDP
6th May 2010, 07:46 PM
I mean really you would think 10 people standing around outside the shop at that hour of the morning may be wondering why all their phones arent working?

LOL... you should try working in a mobile tech support call centre during an outage and there are over 500 people all calling at the same time because they can't use their mobile. You'd think they'd wise up when the RVA advises them there's a call wait of over an hour. You'd be surprised how many people hang on the line just to be told "yes, there is a network outage" :rolleyes:

Saintly
12th May 2010, 10:37 AM
The SIM card you are using needs to be compatible with the 3G network...

I understand it is Telstra but if you have an old SIM card (i.e. one that doesn't have any 3G or NextG logo) on it... NextG or 3G is going to rarely work for you.