PDA

View Full Version : The Food Thread - comments and recommendations

Pages : [1] 2 3

griffin
7th May 2010, 12:27 AM
If you've come across something really tasty, that others can get fairly easily as well, post it here.

For example - one thing I've got an addiction to at the moment is the new Red Rock 'Balsamic and Sea Salt' flavoured chips. Everytime I think about them, I have to go and buy some. I can't get enough... :(
:p

kurdt_the_goat
7th May 2010, 12:53 AM
I'm a sucker Sweet Chilli & Sour Cream Dorito's with Prawn and Crab dip (Kraft i think)

Bartrim
7th May 2010, 07:47 AM
The green packet of Grain Waves. I swear they lace them with cocaine or something because I start to get the shakes if I don't get a pack everyday:D

Deceptic_Optic
7th May 2010, 07:58 AM
HURRICANE STEAK HOUSE at Bondi....those full rack pork ribs *droooools*

Golden Phoenix
7th May 2010, 10:23 AM
warm chocolate cake and bulla strawberry frozen yoghurt. Mmmmmm. So good

5FDP
7th May 2010, 04:59 PM
Oporto :D

HURRICANE STEAK HOUSE at Bondi....those full rack pork ribs *droooools*

I have heard so many people rave on about this place. I might have to check it out.

MV75
7th May 2010, 08:00 PM
If you've come across something really tasty, that others can get fairly easily as well, post it here.

For example - one thing I've got an addiction to at the moment is the new Red Rock 'Balsamic and Sea Salt' flavoured chips. Everytime I think about them, I have to go and buy some. I can't get enough... :(
:p

I tried some of those last week. They're ok, but not stingy enough like S&V chips should be. I'd probably buy again though when on special.

My obsession is Farmers Union Iced coffee.

I buy two boxes every friday, one for saturday morning while playing the DS, the same sunday.

If I had my way, It'd be every morning.

As for eating food, best chicken in Brisbane is the chicken bits they fry up at the Brendale butcher. Yum yum yum and cheap as. Even when KFC was kentucky fried chicken and actually had taste, they still can't touch these.

Hammerstorm
8th May 2010, 12:49 AM
pringels!
http://www.pringles.com.au

griffin
8th May 2010, 01:11 AM
For some reason, Woolies don't stock them anymore. And we only seem to have 3 flavours now in Coles. The US has over a dozen flavours and other products, and some interesting ones too. The products page (http://www.pringles.com/en_US/Pages/Products.aspx)on the US site lists heaps (and makes crunching noises when you pass your mouse over each), but may auto-direct back to the AUS page, so just re-select the US country page.
(pringles is one of the regular food items I 'sample' every year while in america for botcon - pizza is one of my fave flavours)

Hammerstorm
8th May 2010, 04:53 AM
For some reason, Woolies don't stock them anymore. And we only seem to have 3 flavours now in Coles. The US has over a dozen flavours and other products, and some interesting ones too. The products page (http://www.pringles.com/en_US/Pages/Products.aspx)on the US site lists heaps (and makes crunching noises when you pass your mouse over each), but may auto-direct back to the AUS page, so just re-select the US country page.
(pringles is one of the regular food items I 'sample' every year while in america for botcon - pizza is one of my fave flavours)

I thought it was only the woolies down here. You to, wow that is something i stock mine from the corner store. I work at woolies and yes i did ask as to why. I was simply told they have been deleted from the system for reasons unknown. They have some sub-brand, imo utter crap bring pringles back!

Deceptic_Optic
8th May 2010, 06:30 AM
Oporto :D

I have heard so many people rave on about this place. I might have to check it out.

Man its not just the Full Rack Ribs but also the 1kg Steak that is what I call a one blokes meat. Well am i sensing for a possible tf meetup dinner at HURRICANES :D

LordCyrusOmega
12th May 2010, 02:17 PM
Old El Paso Taco Kit cooked to recipe on pack with sour cream and shaved romano cheese.

Eruntalon
12th May 2010, 03:36 PM
Salt and Vinegar flavoured rice crackers by Fantastic. The white powder flavouring on them is very addictive. If anyone remembers when Samboy used to promote extra flavouring satchels inside their chip packets then try to imagine the salt and vinegar flavouring as being similar to what was in these satchels.

Zippo
12th May 2010, 05:09 PM
I have a HUGE craving for something from Oporto.
Alas, none in the South Island of New Zealand ..

Guess what I am going to eat for lunch and dinner while in Sydney...

5FDP
12th May 2010, 06:31 PM
I have a HUGE craving for something from Oporto.
Alas, none in the South Island of New Zealand ..

Guess what I am going to eat for lunch and dinner while in Sydney...

You should buy some of their sauce and take it back with you. I have it on everything :D

Sky Shadow
12th May 2010, 06:38 PM
Man its not just the Full Rack Ribs but also the 1kg Steak that is what I call a one blokes meat. Well am i sensing for a possible tf meetup dinner at HURRICANES :D

Since that would be a meet that's actually within cyber-spitting distance from my house, that would be great.

Eastern Suburbs meet! :cool:

MV75
12th May 2010, 10:24 PM
Salt and Vinegar flavoured rice crackers by Fantastic. The white powder flavouring on them is very addictive. If anyone remembers when Samboy used to promote extra flavouring satchels inside their chip packets then try to imagine the salt and vinegar flavouring as being similar to what was in these satchels.

Cheese snakatas. Yum yum yum.

SamLoi888
12th May 2010, 10:27 PM
Green apples, blueberries, avocados and broccoli.

liegeprime
13th May 2010, 01:04 AM
Sushi and sashimi, got some fresh salmon from them asian fish shop at Blacktown and made these, yum ( if your into eating raw fish hehehehe)

Salmon Sushi, Sashimi salad and salmon sashimi. not that filling so I needed Orange cola and some chilled crisp white grapes:D

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb313/liegeprime/Othercollectibles054-1.jpg

Deceptic_Optic
13th May 2010, 04:47 AM
Since that would be a meet that's actually within cyber-spitting distance from my house, that would be great.

Eastern Suburbs meet! :cool:

That would be great btw it is kinda expensive, will try and start a thread ang from there and see who are interested

Towers_Spy
13th May 2010, 10:08 AM
Sushi and sashimi, got some fresh salmon from them asian fish shop at Blacktown and made these, yum ( if your into eating raw fish hehehehe)

Salmon Sushi, Sashimi salad and salmon sashimi. not that filling so I needed Orange cola and some chilled crisp white grapes:D

Wow liege, thats impressive! I love sushi, and only the raw fish kind :)

I am addicted to making homemade pizza on souvlaki bread thingies.. lots of fetta, avocado and tomato sauce for the base, tomato pieces, mushroom, capsicum (ie. whatever I have in the fridge :p) maybe boiled eggs, and a s**t load of cheese - into the grill till its crispy... *drool*

Bartrim
13th May 2010, 04:42 PM
As far as meals go I love my fresh fish. Flathead fillets are my fav at the moment. Basically wrapped in foil with slices of Lemon over the fish. Cooked on the BBQ in 3 minutes I kid you not. One of the easiest, quickest and most delicious meals to prepare.

I also love alot of red meat based meals but they usually involve alot of prep time.

Maxiewolf
13th May 2010, 10:17 PM
This is an evil... evil... evil thread. :p

But right now my 'thing' is any crunchy chocolate chip (chocolate biscuit with chocolate chips.. not one of those try hard plain biscuit with chips...) and a creamy hot chocolate.... hmm timtams melted in the hot chocolate are also nom nomz...

liegeprime
13th May 2010, 11:06 PM
Wow liege, thats impressive! I love sushi, and only the raw fish kind :)

I am addicted to making homemade pizza on souvlaki bread thingies.. lots of fetta, avocado and tomato sauce for the base, tomato pieces, mushroom, capsicum (ie. whatever I have in the fridge :p) maybe boiled eggs, and a s**t load of cheese - into the grill till its crispy... *drool*

Aaaah sashimi, I prefer Salmon though over tuna, less blood taste hehehe.

Yuuum, that pizza sounds really tasty! -- hmmmm boiled eggs? on pizza? that's new.... well for me:D

Me I try what I call pan de Pizza snacks. like nearly going expire white bread, I make into little pizzas - tomato sauce, cheese, basil leaves, tomato, mushroom , and red onions, plus spam ( hehehehe) or some baked beans or leftover sausages, grill em till the bread is crispy , put them in those muffin baking sheats that way the bread crisps into cup like and holds the fillings, oh and brush them a bit with margerine or olive oil first hehehe. Its sooooo nice with a big liter of coke!! especially when hot off the oven.

@ maxiewolf , yes it is an evil thread hehehe:D:D no dieting here

griffin
13th May 2010, 11:41 PM
Double Classic Angus Burger with onion, from Hungry Jacks - So addictive, I eat them until I'm in pain from an overstuffed stomach. :p

(have to ask for added onion though, as most of HJs burgers don't actually have onion on them)

blackie
13th May 2010, 11:51 PM
oreo mcflurry with strawberry sauce added
one of the best things ive ever eaten from maccas :D

MV75
14th May 2010, 09:08 PM
Double Classic Angus Burger with onion, from Hungry Jacks - So addictive, I eat them until I'm in pain from an overstuffed stomach. :p

(have to ask for added onion though, as most of HJs burgers don't actually have onion on them)

I had a chicken stunner today with an extra chicken. Yummy. :)

oreo mcflurry with strawberry sauce added
one of the best things ive ever eaten from maccas :D

Urg. Way to ruin the thread. :rolleyes: Maccas is a bannable offence.

The green packet of Grain Waves. I swear they lace them with cocaine or something because I start to get the shakes if I don't get a pack everyday

I got a pack of sweet chili today. Not bad. First time I've tried these things.

Guess what I found today? I'd totally forgotten about these, Milka! Yes, holy crap it's Milka! It's still in the fridge. I shall destroy it tomorrow.

Towers_Spy
15th May 2010, 01:28 PM
Urg. Way to ruin the thread. :rolleyes: Maccas is a bannable offence.

Blasphemy!!

Maccas is great! Especially when you get home from work and there's one of those $19.95 dinner boxes sitting on the table for you and your partner to get through, just the two of you.. :D so much gut pain but so good!

Wheel-J
15th May 2010, 01:59 PM
Pepper Lunch and Poporro - two reasons why I'd go back to sydney. yum! :p

SMHFConvoy
15th May 2010, 03:55 PM
Make up some fresh salsa. Let it sit in the fridge for an hour or two and use it as a topping for pizza :)

griffin
1st June 2010, 02:09 PM
Jarlsburg Cheese - a soft, mild, creamy, sweet chees. It's expensive, but the major grocery chains stock it. My favourite cheese, that I just can't pass up buying most times I'm grocery shopping.

Golden Days Sesame Snaps with Dark Chocolate - crunchy, chewy, caramel chocolatey. Usually in the Health food section. Tried it on special a couple weeks ago, and can't get the taste out of my head.

Heaven Cookies & Cream Icecream-blocks - It's my favourite flavour of Icecream, with big chunks of biscuit in vanilla icecream, covered in chocolate... I'm just glad they haven't released it in stores as a multi-pack, as it is too expensive for me to get too often from 7-11 (the only store I seem to find it).

blackie
1st June 2010, 02:53 PM
Jarlsburg Cheese - a soft, mild, creamy, sweet chees. It's expensive, but the major grocery chains stock it. My favourite cheese, that I just can't pass up buying most times I'm grocery shopping.

This, mild salami and honey leg ham toasted and youve got an amazing sandwich

Bartrim
1st June 2010, 03:09 PM

So having witnessed you eat 4 quad stackers without batting an eyelid (I still regale people with this story) how many of these does it take to stop you?

MV75
1st June 2010, 06:25 PM

Look for the wedges of it as opposed to the slices. :)

What else is good.......... The purple/pink wonka nerds. Coles only has the crappy neons, woolies only has some really bad ripoff of them, bigw and lollyworld are the only places I find them now.

When you're next in the health food section, look for the apricot & coconut bars. Yum.

Oh yea, I'm onto those little boxes of sunbeam sultanas too. :)

griffin
1st June 2010, 11:43 PM
So having witnessed you eat 4 quad stackers without batting an eyelid (I still regale people with this story) how many of these does it take to stop you?

Haven't had more than 2 at a time. It hasn't been something I wanted to see how many I could eat at once. But I will often buy a couple other burgers at the same time with them... :D

Look for the wedges of it as opposed to the slices.

I usually do go for the wedges, as it is more cost effective for such an expensive cheese.

griffin
18th June 2010, 05:09 PM
This might surprise most who know me, but...
I've been addicted to the prepared salads at Woolworths in the last couple weeks.
They come in bags or plastic food trays, with individual bags of stuff to mix together.
My favourite is the Ceasar salad, which is just a bag of lettuce with mini-bags of bacon, cheese, croutons and dressing. It's only $4, and is a cheap feed, even if I need 2 when I'm really hungry.
The other favourites of mine is the Crunchy Coleslaw salad and Greek salad.
Coles has them as well (each chain has them labelled as their own store brand but the ingrediants appear to be from the same source), and a few extra varieties, but are more expensive.

The last couple weeks have probably been the healthiest I've ever been. I wonder if that means I can now consume more saturated fats and junk food while in America... :P

Sleeve
18th June 2010, 05:20 PM
This might surprise most who know me, but...
I've been addicted to the prepared salads at Woolworths in the last couple weeks.
They come in bags or plastic food trays, with individual bags of stuff to mix together.
My favourite is the Ceasar salad, which is just a bag of lettuce with mini-bags of bacon, cheese, croutons and dressing. It's only $4, and is a cheap feed, even if I need 2 when I'm really hungry.
The other favourites of mine is the Crunchy Coleslaw salad and Greek salad.
Coles has them as well (each chain has them labelled as their own store brand but the ingrediants appear to be from the same source), and a few extra varieties, but are more expensive.

The last couple weeks have probably been the healthiest I've ever been. I wonder if that means I can now consume more saturated fats and junk food while in America... :P

You've changed, man. You used to be cool. You used to be about the fatty foods. :p

MV75
18th June 2010, 10:39 PM
Don't sweat it sleeve, the bacon, cheese and dressing make him more cool than ever. :D

It's a bunch of mini heart attacks with some water, (lettuce).

griffin
18th June 2010, 11:17 PM
Yeah, I had to cut back on the Ceasar salad after I saw how much fat is in it...

Golden Phoenix
21st June 2010, 05:45 PM
I got hooked to those too. I think the ceasar needs more bacon and dressing though.

griffin
21st June 2010, 09:16 PM
Yep, but those baguette croutons are so addictive... :D

Golden Phoenix
21st June 2010, 11:41 PM
I'm tempted to buy the salad and just more of the bacon, dressing and croutons. They will have small enough packets somewhere in the supermarket

1AZRAEL1
6th July 2010, 09:52 AM
For those of you that love Cookies And Cream foods, my fiance and I made a killer Cookies And Cream cheesecake. So good :D and suprisingly easy to make.

Deceptic_Optic
6th July 2010, 10:00 AM
For those of you that love Cookies And Cream foods, my fiance and I made a killer Cookies And Cream cheesecake. So good :D and suprisingly easy to make.

care to share the recipe?

5FDP
6th July 2010, 10:04 AM

Guess who's catering for the next fan meet ;) :D

1AZRAEL1
6th July 2010, 10:41 AM
care to share the recipe?

Not unless you admit defeat :p

Guess who's catering for the next fan meet ;) :D

Well when is the next one? I will def make it for then :D

5FDP
6th July 2010, 10:45 AM
Well when is the next one? I will def make it for then :D

Wasn't there talk about one in the gaming thread. I believe Optics nominated his place :p

Bartrim
6th July 2010, 10:54 AM
Make one for the next parra fair with a sign "Buy something TF from my stall and get a slice:D"

1AZRAEL1
6th July 2010, 11:11 AM
Make one for the next parra fair with a sign "Buy something TF from my stall and get a slice:D"

Sounds like a perfect selling point, though I may need to make multiple cakes then :p

The_Damned
6th July 2010, 01:25 PM
my faves are a big bowl of streets blue ribbon icecream with cotties chocolate topping and 100 & 1000 sprinkles on top, when i mean big bowl i only get 3 bowls of icecream out of a 2 litre tub:D

griffin
23rd July 2010, 07:02 PM
The new Hungry Jacks Bourbon Whopper is very very nice. :D
Had 2 yesterday, and another 3 today... could be the best HJs burger ever.

5FDP
23rd July 2010, 07:57 PM
I thought I had a poor diet :p

MV75
23rd July 2010, 08:02 PM

Really? I thought they looked like the most stupid gimmick ever when I was in there today. :D

But you guys, seriously, the shapes "gourmet" fancy range things, the honey soy chicken. Seriously, oh nom nom nom. On special for $2 a box at woolies. They're like savory shapes (seseme seeds in them), with a sweet flavour.

gamblor916
25th July 2010, 08:37 PM

So who's going to be in your will when you go into cardiac arrest? :p

griffin
26th July 2010, 12:32 AM
Nah, my Will would state that all interested parties to my collection have to fight to the death, with the last one left earning it... :p

Either that, or they get buried with my like one of those vast egyptian tombs. :D

Bartrim
8th August 2010, 08:15 PM
:eek:OMG just reading through a slow cooker recipe book and found a cola roast! Can't wait to try it:D

1AZRAEL1
9th August 2010, 06:13 PM
Haha that reminds me of the VB BBQ chicken. Turns out great.

MV75
11th August 2010, 04:18 PM
Cheezels are in again.

I remember a few years ago that when I last had some they were more "corn" than cheese chip. All hard and no flavour.

I tried some yesterday and they seem more like they were ~20 years ago.

BTW, iga black and gold cheese rings are still the best things ever for cheesy ring chip goodness. :)

Fungal Infection
12th August 2010, 10:03 PM
I actually would want to try this:

Fried Cheese Sandwich (http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/fancy-a-fried-cheese-sarnie/story-e6freuy9-1225904325263)

griffin
12th August 2010, 11:46 PM
You had me at 'fried'... :p

SkyWarp91
5th November 2010, 04:24 PM
A pointless thread talking about food - actually, it could be used for inspiration of breakfast/lunch/dinner ideas :D

Today's lunch:

Hungry Jack's Ultimate Double Whopper with large coke (never been a fan of fries, especially HJ fries) and a soft serve cone - I don't know if it's just me, but the HJ soft serve cone tastes a lot 'fattier' than the Macca's one. Burger's very tasty and lives up to the name 'Ultimate' but the cheese - it's the type of cheese you know is so bad for you but tastes so good!

gantz
5th November 2010, 06:16 PM
I love HJ's!

Is it true they will make you any burger you want as long as they have the ingredients??

Im having pizza for dinner, nothing fancy, just Pizza Hut to go with my gf and I's horror movie night.

5FDP
5th November 2010, 10:27 PM
Just give me Krispy Kreme donuts (poor KK (http://www.news.com.au/business/business-owner/poor-sales-take-big-bite-out-of-krispy-kreme-profits/story-e6frfm5i-1225945906107) :(), a Boost Juice, and an Oporto Bondi burger with extra chilli and I'm set :D

Vector Sigma 13
5th November 2010, 11:27 PM
Im loving eagle boys pizza at the moment!

SkyWarp91
8th November 2010, 10:57 PM
Has anyone tried the new Hot & Spicy Pringles?

Addictive stuff really.

griffin
1st January 2011, 11:44 PM
Last night, the best tasting burger I've created so far at HJs - a cheeseburger with onion and a grilled chicken patty added. Veeeery tasty. :D

I strongly recommend trying it out. It came to $4.10 at the HJs near me.

SkyWarp91
2nd January 2011, 12:20 AM
Last night, the best tasting burger I've created so far at HJs - a cheeseburger with onion and a grilled chicken patty added. Veeeery tasty. :D

I strongly recommend trying it out. It came to $4.10 at the HJs near me.

I didn't know you can do customised burgers?

kurdt_the_goat
2nd January 2011, 12:27 AM
That might be a go-er, but i'm having a hard time ordering anything but the delicious Ultimate Angus whenever i go into HJ's!!

I had a Supercharged Tower burger from KFC the other day and i gotta say, after seeing so many people shove fries into their burgers, sticking a hash brown in there wasn't a bad idea :)

Vector Prime
2nd January 2011, 01:15 AM

Hungry Jacks will build a burger to your specifications...apparently if the ingredient is in one of their burgers, you can add it to yours (at a charge of course) - so go get cracking young Padawan! :p

That might be a go-er, but i'm having a hard time ordering anything but the delicious Ultimate Angus whenever i go into HJ's!!

Likewise here mate... mmm.... Ultimate Angus.... :D

griffin
2nd January 2011, 01:44 AM

You can do it at most fast food places, but HJs is one that encourages it - in the past, some of their TV adverts have even said so (I remember one ad that had people asking for extra this, and hold that).

I was actually wanting to try a burger with beef, chicken and fish patties, but didn't realise that HJs don't have a fish burger. I'm sure they used to.
It sounds a bit disgusting, but wanted to see what it tasted like.

So I had to resort to the next best thing, with just 2 different meats on the one burger.
(if I wasn't avoiding Mcdonalds, I would try the 3 meats burger idea there)

Vector Prime
2nd January 2011, 01:59 AM
I was actually wanting to try a burger with beef, chicken and fish patties, but didn't realise that HJs don't have a fish burger. I'm sure they used to.

Eww...why would you want to try what that tasted like Griff? :eek:

How about for your next one, add the chicken patty and bacon... that should taste nice and has the added bonus of being full of artery clogging goodness! :D

What's wrong with Maccas? :confused:

SkyWarp91
2nd January 2011, 03:18 AM
You can do it at most fast food places, but HJs is one that encourages it - in the past, some of their TV adverts have even said so (I remember one ad that had people asking for extra this, and hold that).

So I had to resort to the next best thing, with just 2 different meats on the one burger.

I don't remember HJs ever doing a Fish Burger before, not in Aus particularly.

kurdt_the_goat
2nd January 2011, 04:25 AM
I think they used to have an Ocean Catch Baguette?

griffin
2nd January 2011, 03:54 PM
Ah yes, the baguette range might have been where I remember it from.

And bacon... yes, that could be a third meat. Or a fourth if I could get fish added.

It has marketting potential... could call it something like 'quad-meat burger' or 'farm-yard feast burger'... :p

Nothing says gourmet like four fatty fried meats on a bun. :D

SkyWarp91
2nd January 2011, 06:01 PM
Ah yes, the baguette range might have been where I remember it from.

And bacon... yes, that could be a third meat. Or a fourth if I could get fish added.

It has marketting potential... could call it something like 'quad-meat burger' or 'farm-yard feast burger'... :p

Nothing says gourmet like four fatty fried meats on a bun. :D

Did you ever try the quad-stacker? I did - biggest regret of my life hehehe

griffin
2nd January 2011, 09:49 PM
Nup, something better (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=5875).

swoop
2nd January 2011, 10:40 PM
My missus and I made the mistake of getting cheeseburgers with five layers of meat and cheese from maccas, she ended up sick for a day and I was only slightly better off being sick for a few hours after eating it. Never again

SkyWarp91
2nd January 2011, 10:46 PM
My missus and I made the mistake of getting cheeseburgers with five layers of meat and cheese from maccas, she ended up sick for a day and I was only slightly better off being sick for a few hours after eating it. Never again

The scary thing about Cheeseburgers from Maccas is that I don't get full from eating heaps of them - the only thing that stops me is the accumulative layer of grease that clogs up my throat but my stomach feels empty still.

swoop
2nd January 2011, 11:07 PM
Yep maccas is pretty bad and since they brought in the new cooked to order method half the time the meat is still cold.

SkyWarp91
3rd January 2011, 12:05 AM
Yep maccas is pretty bad and since they brought in the new cooked to order method half the time the meat is still cold.

Jeez that's pretty bad. I remember once I waited for over 5 minutes at their Drive Thru and got given a free Big Mac token - did not expect it and was NOT even frustrated that my burger didn't come any sooner - I was just chilling out in my car and suddenly just got given it. I don't mind having to wait for a burger, but I guess either people aren't as patient as they used to be or that Fast Food chains are really putting pressure down on those teenage workers lol

griffin
3rd January 2011, 12:34 PM
Well, it is supposed to be *fast* food, not take as long as normal takeaway venues. McDonalds used to set the standard on *fast* food, because you could walk in or drive up to it, and the food would already be there ready for you to buy and go. If they are no more convenient/faster than others, then they lose that advantage in 'fast food' stakes.

SkyWarp91
3rd January 2011, 02:23 PM
Well, it is supposed to be *fast* food, not take as long as normal takeaway venues. McDonalds used to set the standard on *fast* food, because you could walk in or drive up to it, and the food would already be there ready for you to buy and go. If they are no more convenient/faster than others, then they lose that advantage in 'fast food' stakes.

Yeah I know, well at least they give out free Big Macs when they don't live up to their standards!

SkyWarp91
27th January 2011, 12:22 AM
If you have a craving for junk food, but afraid that you'll keep having that craving on frequent occasions I suggest going all out in 1 go, that way you feel so sick of the food you don't want to come back for it in a while.

Today, I had a craving for maccas. 2 Quarter Pounders and 2 McDoubles. :O I do not want to look at a burger for about a month now!

Hursticon
27th January 2011, 12:27 AM
If you have a craving for junk food, but afraid that you'll keep having that craving on frequent occasions I suggest going all out in 1 go, that way you feel so sick of the food you don't want to come back for it in a while.

Today, I had a craving for maccas. 2 Quarter Pounders and 2 McDoubles. :O I do not want to look at a burger for about a month now!

Shut Up, Shut Up! :p:D

High_Q
28th January 2011, 09:28 PM

Unfortunately, that has never worked for me. I would stuff myself with fried chicken till I'm sick of it, but that craving returns the next day ...

Dkaris
4th February 2011, 12:07 AM
http://www.youtube.com/user/EpicMealTime#p/u/0/FCxFn3sAw68 these guys love their bacon

griffin
4th February 2011, 12:39 AM
Been watching them too. Dishes with more calories than a person should consume in a month...

griffin
12th February 2011, 11:55 PM
My latest food creation - The Farmyard Feast from Hungry Jacks.

Contains Beef, grilled Chicken, Bacon, Egg, cheese, onion and Ketchup (on the left) or BBQ sauce (on the right). Cost about AU$7 to create, by adding those extra things to a Cheeseburger. Tasted pretty good, but needed more sauce. So if you try one of these, ask for more sauce to be added between a few of the layers.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5220/5438634132_cf674ae3dd_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/20439770@N02/5438634132/)
Hungry Jacks/Burger King Farmyard Feast (http://www.flickr.com/photos/20439770@N02/5438634132/) by griffinofoz (http://www.flickr.com/people/20439770@N02/), on Flickr

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4101/5438648386_030ec59591_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/20439770@N02/5438648386/)
Hungry Jacks/Burger King Farmyard Feast (http://www.flickr.com/photos/20439770@N02/5438648386/) by griffinofoz (http://www.flickr.com/people/20439770@N02/), on Flickr

gdmetro
13th February 2011, 01:29 AM
http://www.youtube.com/user/EpicMealTime#p/u/0/FCxFn3sAw68 these guys love their bacon

Oh....Crazy stuff!! but good... :D

Love the bacon subbed for nacho chips

...This thread is awesome...

Firestorm
14th February 2011, 02:14 AM
Seeing as how you all seem to like weird burgers check out this one my buddy and i had in shibuya

BEHOLD BURGER KING'S NY PIZZA BURGER!
http://i56.tinypic.com/15rlk6h.jpg

it was about the size of the average large pizza
it had tomato paste/sauce, onions, burger patties, cheese, and a few other things

my review ... first slice (piece, buger, segment .. whatever) was pretty good, after that it was sickening, my friend ate the rest

EDIT: More Pics

In Box
http://i54.tinypic.com/xfndeb.jpg

Slice in Hand
http://i52.tinypic.com/20f3oz4.jpg

Last Slice
http://i52.tinypic.com/ftoa5z.jpg

griffin
14th February 2011, 02:34 AM
(Homer) Drooool.....

I want one!

Post one to me. :p

Sleeve
14th February 2011, 11:04 AM
(Homer) Drooool.....

I want one!

Post one to me. :p

Make that two.

The_Damned
14th February 2011, 08:01 PM
made some banana bread with Zac this arvo

1AZRAEL1
14th February 2011, 08:19 PM
Making Perogi for dinner tonight. Yummy.

Hursticon
14th February 2011, 11:46 PM
Making Perogi for dinner tonight. Yummy.

What's Perogi? :confused:

1AZRAEL1
15th February 2011, 10:06 AM
What's Perogi? :confused:

Really yummy :D

Basically a dough pod that contains mash potato inside it.

Hursticon
15th February 2011, 01:06 PM
Really yummy :D

Basically a dough pod that contains mash potato inside it.

Lol, good on ya! :p:D
Ah, ok so where is the dish's roots?
(Don't say in the ground :p)

1AZRAEL1
15th February 2011, 01:09 PM
Well it is made from potatoes... :p

A number of places really, but I get it from my Ukranainian heritage.

Hursticon
15th February 2011, 01:21 PM
Well it is made from potatoes... :p

A number of places really, but I get it from my Ukranainian heritage.

I thought it had a Norse sounding name to it. ;):p

1AZRAEL1
18th February 2011, 03:34 PM
Now this is just funny, Griffin I know you would probably be interested in these :p

Bean Boozled. Basically they are Jelly Bellies with weird flavours. Much like in Harry Potter. The colours are the same, but you could get either of 2 flavours.

Example, There are black Jelly Bellies that are either licourice, or skunk stink :p

That one is not going to be nice. But by far one of the worst I had was one that is either peach or vomit :eek: (that one is just vile lol) And a new flavour is either Strawberry Jam, or centipede :p

1AZRAEL1
25th February 2011, 09:18 AM
Now this is just funny, Griffin I know you would probably be interested in these :p

Bean Boozled. Basically they are Jelly Bellies with weird flavours. Much like in Harry Potter. The colours are the same, but you could get either of 2 flavours.

Example, There are black Jelly Bellies that are either licourice, or skunk stink :p

That one is not going to be nice. But by far one of the worst I had was one that is either peach or vomit :eek: (that one is just vile lol) And a new flavour is either Strawberry Jam, or centipede :p

Didn't get skunk stink in the boxes, kinda sux, but I'm kinda greatful lol.

Tried Cenitpede and Canned Dog food, and I wouldn't recommend either of them :p But at the next Ozformers meet, I will be bring along the game that it came with :D

sanbot
25th February 2011, 10:42 AM
I have a massive craving for Jack in the Box burgers. I wish they branched out to Australia :(

I don't know if I was just caught up in the moment, but I swear the burgers in America are far more superior! Dare I say that fastfood burgers were on par with so called "gourmet" burgers here in OZ. The beef patties seem more juicy and substantial and the *ahem* vegetables seem fresher.

griffin
12th March 2011, 11:14 PM
Limited Edition Cheeseburger flavoured Twisties...

Best... flavour... ever.

GoktimusPrime
13th March 2011, 11:08 AM
Went to the Taste of Sydney food festival yesterday - much international yum! Also met several celebrity chefs and one former Master Chef contestant. ;)

Here's (http://www.tasteofsydney.com.au/images/uploads/taste_of_sydney_menu.pdf) what was on offer, and my recommendations from that would be:

* New Zealand Smoked Salmon (yum!)
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/misc%20photo%20skits/taste%20of%20sydney/tracks_tos1.jpg

* Regal King Salmon and potato fishcakes with tartare sauce and fresh lemon
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/misc%20photo%20skits/taste%20of%20sydney/tracks_tos2.jpg

* 12 Hour Braised Lamb Shoulder with Pea and Feta Salad (http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Fqs4wJp3bvs/TXmH9eC5FKI/AAAAAAAAU-Y/2R5d2sfHfTc/s400/20110310_0089-Taste-of-Sydney-2011_Four-in-Hand-12-Hour-Braised-Lamb-Shoulder-with-Pea-and-Feta-Salad-%2528%252412%2529.jpg)

* Crisp Wagyu beef with wild mushroom and truffle foam (http://snappetite.com/post/show/crispy-wagyu-beef-with-wild-mushroom-and-truffle-foam-811) (the foam is so yum!)

Paulbot
29th March 2011, 08:21 AM
So, the KFC Double Down burger (a hamburger where the bun is replaced by two pieces of deep fried chicken) is coming to Australia (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/more-news/kfc-double-sandwich-hits-australia/story-fn7x8me2-1226029666037). Anyone dare to eat it and its 2000kj? Or the Zinger version with 2515kj and 35.7g of fat. Yikes!

1AZRAEL1
29th March 2011, 09:08 AM
I'll buy it if I can get my hands on it. I will always try new burgers at least once.

Golden Phoenix
29th March 2011, 11:09 AM
I'll buy it if I can get my hands on it. I will always try new burgers at least once.

Agreed.
It will take years of my life but from what I've heard it is worth it.

gantz
29th March 2011, 11:39 AM
When its released and we dont hear from Griff, take that as a good sign to NEVER EAT IT!

Paulbot
29th March 2011, 04:09 PM
When its released and we dont hear from Griff, take that as a good sign to NEVER EAT IT!

He tried one in the US last year (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?p=174807), but only had one bite. This burger intrigues me, but I think I'd only manage one bite too.

gantz
29th March 2011, 04:14 PM
WOW! Those fries look disgusting.

Will eat, sigh, a double down tomorrow, not before putting 000 on speed dial.

blackie
29th March 2011, 05:52 PM
i want one
might get one tonight....

SkyWarp91
29th March 2011, 10:13 PM
I'm on a strict diet as I'm planning to lose weight - would've loved to try the Double Down though - might do so - but right after I'd probably want to kill myself :D

EDIT: What do you guys think of Bacon? It's tasty, but overrated imo.

Firestorm
31st March 2011, 09:26 PM
My friend and I had lunch at KFC yesterday, he decided to try the double (filet) about an hour later we were walking past another kfc and he decided to go in and get the zinger version because he wanted to try both of them, he said they tasted pretty nice (Filet was better)
i think he just lost 10 years from his lifespan

blackie
31st March 2011, 11:17 PM
i dont see what the big problem is
its just 2 fillets of chicken
its just like any other meal from there in the end, you eat a couple of pieces of regular chicken and BAM same amont of fat
this one just has a heap more publicity

on a side note theyre amazing

Vector Prime
31st March 2011, 11:28 PM
I'm planning on tackling the Double Down tomorrow for lunch, so shall report once I've tried it.

The concept of it kinda disgusts me - no bread to soak the fat?

Then again I do eat Ultimate Whoppers from HJ and they contain some 5000kJ and 80g of fat from recollection, so it's obviously not the (lack of) healthy content that disgusts me :p

blackie
31st March 2011, 11:49 PM
large ultimate double whopper meal with extra cheese

the hangover food of choice

GoktimusPrime
1st April 2011, 02:31 AM
Food in China's interesting... had some incredibly yummy tofu for dinner tonight. On the other hand I also saw some roast dog hung up for sale on the side of the street. Glad I saw that well _after_ I had my dinner... i.e. not too early that it made me lose my appetite, but not too soon after that I would've thrown up!

Yes, I know it's all culture shock -- there's nothing inherently wrong with eating dog over any other source of meat per se. One of my students is a staunch vegetarian, and a few weeks ago she sometimes tries to convert everyone else in class to vegetarianism - one time she kinda half jokingly implied that vegetarians are morally better people. I then reminded her that Hitler was a vegetarian... that got the whole class in a lol. ;)

gdmetro
1st April 2011, 06:48 AM
mmm... Double down...:eek:

Doesn't look that nice though. Has anyone tried those sweet potato fries from KFC? they are crap and overrated imo,

griffin
11th May 2011, 01:30 PM
My favourite variety of M&Ms are finally in Australia - Almond!!!
One less item of junk food for me to gorge on in America... :p

SkyWarp91
11th May 2011, 03:39 PM
Having fried rice with the traditional ingredients + bean sprouts, surprisingly the bean sprouts add a nice crunch to it. Also put in a tablespoon of hot chilli sauce too!!

EDIT: Have you guys heard of the show Man Vs. Food? I've got S1 and oh man I envy American eateries so much. There's one episode where the host Adam Richman eats a 72 OUNCE STEAK with a salad, shrimp cocktail, dinner salad, baked potato and a dinner roll in less than an hour!!

Bartrim
11th May 2011, 04:23 PM
Have you guys heard of the show Man Vs. Food? I've got S1 and oh man I envy American eateries so much. There's one episode where the host Adam Richman eats a 72 OUNCE STEAK with a salad, shrimp cocktail, dinner salad, baked potato and a dinner roll in less than an hour!!

Wow thats like 2kgs if my maths is right... and I thought this was big.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/lifestyle/dubbed-sydneys-biggest-steak-chophouse-restaurants-prime-rib-weighs-in-at-15kg/story-e6frf00i-1225777185639

KillinSpoon
11th May 2011, 07:02 PM
Had some sort of back strap for dinner (veal... I guess, mum said it was super expensive)
Anyway, this stuff is heaven. The best meat I have ever put in my mouth!
*drools thinking about it*

griffin
12th May 2011, 12:07 AM
Twisties have another limited-edition flavour out this month - spicy burger. It looks like a blend of the last two limited-edition flavours (Spicy & Cheeseburger), but not as good as either of them.

Oh, and Smiths have a new chips flavour - Pizza. Haven't tried it yet, as it only just arrived at the warehouse last week.

griffin
21st May 2011, 01:00 PM
What is with all the new Chips flavours coming out this month???

Not only is there those Spicy Burger Twisties at some stores, but Woolworths now has the Cheeseburger Twisties.

The Smiths Pizza flavour chips are out now, but the packaging says 'exclusive to Coles & Bi-Lo' and is being marketed with a 'State of Origin' theme (advertising, and has blue and maroon colours on the packaging).

Woolworths have launched their own Generic brand 'kettle/red rock' style chips and 'grainwaves' style chips, with some new flavours of their own.
The 'grainwaves' ones include the flavours released by Grainwaves, plus 'Roast Onion & Rosemary'.
And the 'kettle/red rock' ones include existing Red Rock flavours of 'Honey Soy Chicken', 'Sweet Chilli & Sour Cream', and 'Lime & Black Pepper'.

Speaking of Kettle Chips, they've relaunched a new packaging (and probably smaller size), with 3 new flavours - 'Lime & Chilli', 'Peri Peri Chicken', 'Red Pepper & Sour Cream'.

While Red Rock Chips have 3 new flavours as well - 'Parmesan, Chilli & Basil', 'Grilled Chorizo & Caramalised Onion', and 'Roast Tomato, Ricotta & Basil Rice Chips'.

And we can't miss the two 'new' Doritos flavours - 'Sweet Thai Chilli' & 'Hot Mexican Salsa'... both of which were existing flavours before Doritos downsized, but now come in new packaging and a promotion for consumers to decide which flavour is kept as a regular.

I remember the old days when we had like four flavours of potato chips - plain, BBQ, Chicken and Salt & Vinegar.... As Samuel L Jackson once said, what is with all this gourmet sh-t? :p

Okay, I have way too much of an obsession with junk food... :o

Sleeve
21st May 2011, 03:09 PM
Twisties have another limited-edition flavour out this month - spicy burger. It looks like a blend of the last two limited-edition flavours (Spicy & Cheeseburger), but not as good as either of them.

Oh, and Smiths have a new chips flavour - Pizza. Haven't tried it yet, as it only just arrived at the warehouse last week.

Nothing will ever beat the 'Flaming Hot Twisties' they had out years ago. I was addicted to them. ADDICTED.

SkyWarp91
23rd May 2011, 03:17 AM
What is with all the new Chips flavours coming out this month???

Not only is there those Spicy Burger Twisties at some stores, but Woolworths now has the Cheeseburger Twisties.

The Smiths Pizza flavour chips are out now, but the packaging says 'exclusive to Coles & Bi-Lo' and is being marketed with a 'State of Origin' theme (advertising, and has blue and maroon colours on the packaging).

Woolworths have launched their own Generic brand 'kettle/red rock' style chips and 'grainwaves' style chips, with some new flavours of their own.
The 'grainwaves' ones include the flavours released by Grainwaves, plus 'Roast Onion & Rosemary'.
And the 'kettle/red rock' ones include existing Red Rock flavours of 'Honey Soy Chicken', 'Sweet Chilli & Sour Cream', and 'Lime & Black Pepper'.

Speaking of Kettle Chips, they've relaunched a new packaging (and probably smaller size), with 3 new flavours - 'Lime & Chilli', 'Peri Peri Chicken', 'Red Pepper & Sour Cream'.

While Red Rock Chips have 3 new flavours as well - 'Parmesan, Chilli & Basil', 'Grilled Chorizo & Caramalised Onion', and 'Roast Tomato, Ricotta & Basil Rice Chips'.

And we can't miss the two 'new' Doritos flavours - 'Sweet Thai Chilli' & 'Hot Mexican Salsa'... both of which were existing flavours before Doritos downsized, but now come in new packaging and a promotion for consumers to decide which flavour is kept as a regular.

I remember the old days when we had like four flavours of potato chips - plain, BBQ, Chicken and Salt & Vinegar.... As Samuel L Jackson once said, what is with all this gourmet sh-t? :p

Okay, I have way too much of an obsession with junk food... :o

Whoa, so many new flavours. My favourite will always be Toobs though, Toobs with Orange Juice is EPIC

Has anyone dared drinking a mouthful of Sriracha Chili Sauce? It's a good way of making your voice sound like Peter Cullen lol :D:D

EDIT: Am I like the only person that doesn't like cheese? I don't see the fascination with it.

Sky Shadow
23rd May 2011, 02:19 PM
EDIT: Am I like the only person that doesn't like cheese? I don't see the fascination with it.

I don't like cheese (but I'm lactose intolerant.)

1AZRAEL1
23rd May 2011, 02:29 PM
I don't like cheese (but I'm lactose intolerant.)

So am I, but I still eat it. I'm not as intollerant as some, I can have yoghurt and cheese and such, but when it comes to fresh yoghurt, I become ill. I also can't have too much cream/ice cream in one sitting. I shared a big sundae with my missus on saturday night, was paying for it all next day.

I get lactose free milk these days, tastes even better than normal milk IMO.

1AZRAEL1
23rd May 2011, 02:31 PM
Speaking of Kettle Chips, they've relaunched a new packaging (and probably smaller size), with 3 new flavours - 'Peri Peri Chicken',

I saw these today in my vending machine at work. Now I gotta bring some money in to try it.

Still, toobs were always my fav, and was so super excited when they brought them back.

SkyWarp91
28th May 2011, 03:20 PM
Tonguewurst = best deli ham ever?

SkyWarp91
1st June 2011, 08:29 PM
Eating ice cream in winter is awesome!

tinyJazz
3rd June 2011, 09:54 AM
I don't know why I didn't look this up earlier, reheat pasta (http://wikihow.com/Reheat-Leftover-Pasta-Without-It-Separating-or-Drying-Up)without it going dry. OMG no more cold pasta for lunch!

Eating ice cream in winter is awesome!

Try peter's "French Vanilla", it's like vanilla, only better! ;P

liegeprime
3rd June 2011, 10:42 AM
So am I, but I still eat it. I'm not as intollerant as some, I can have yoghurt and cheese and such, but when it comes to fresh yoghurt, I become ill. I also can't have too much cream/ice cream in one sitting. I shared a big sundae with my missus on saturday night, was paying for it all next day.

I get lactose free milk these days, tastes even better than normal milk IMO.

Better try Soy milk from ALDI then, it's what Ive been using and taste's good. Thank goodness Im not lactose intolerant coz I like cheese:p:D, I have on occassions bought some cheese just to try it out sof and hard cheeses. I definitely like herb cream cheese, a little sweet chili and mint on cucumber on top of water cracker (pepper flavored). I can eat a whole pack heheheh

SkyWarp91
4th June 2011, 12:39 AM
Just tried my own marinade of Habanero and Naga Jolokia coated Chicken Wings. I'm starting to have flashbacks of '08 where it hurt when I went to the toilet through BOTH ends

Hursticon
4th June 2011, 12:51 AM
I'm starting to have flashbacks of '08 where it hurt when I went to the toilet through BOTH ends

LOL, fool me once?... fool me twice? :p:D
Those must be some powerful Chicken Wings man! :eek:

SkyWarp91
4th June 2011, 12:55 AM
LOL, fool me once?... fool me twice? :p:D
Those must be some powerful Chicken Wings man! :eek:

aw mate right now i'm much more flatulent but every fart has a stinging edge to it! :eek::eek::eek:

EDIT: MY STOMACH IS FEELING THE BURN NOW! ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Hursticon
4th June 2011, 01:16 AM
aw mate right now i'm much more flatulent but every fart has a stinging edge to it! :eek::eek::eek:

EDIT: MY STOMACH IS FEELING THE BURN NOW! ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

LOL, well, enjoy that dude - I pity the others who have to live in the same residence as yourself at the moment. :p:D

1AZRAEL1
6th June 2011, 10:00 AM
Better try Soy milk from ALDI then, it's what Ive been using and taste's good.

I can't stand soy milk haha. Nah I get lactose free milk from Woolies or Coles. Good stuff too, and I prefer it to normal milk, seems to taste better to me.

Just tried my own marinade of Habanero and Naga Jolokia coated Chicken Wings. I'm starting to have flashbacks of '08 where it hurt when I went to the toilet through BOTH ends

Bahahahahahaha. Those damn chillis are so damn hot, but you gotta love it. I got some chilli paste from Syndey Easter show called Devils Delirium. Has the dreaded ghost chilli in it, 14/10 heat. Painful stuff, but god it's good.

SkyWarp91
6th June 2011, 06:10 PM
Bahahahahahaha. Those damn chillis are so damn hot, but you gotta love it. I got some chilli paste from Syndey Easter show called Devils Delirium. Has the dreaded ghost chilli in it, 14/10 heat. Painful stuff, but god it's good.

Omg is that Devils Delirium from the Chili Factory? If so I have the exact same jar! :):):) Great tongues eat alike!

1AZRAEL1
6th June 2011, 07:42 PM
Omg is that Devils Delirium from the Chili Factory? If so I have the exact same jar! :):):) Great tongues eat alike!

It is indeed. Great stuff, though I am not quite sure what to use it on yet haha. Gave some to my dad to try, thought he was going to die lol.

SGB
6th June 2011, 07:46 PM
Does anyone remember the tomato salsa-flavoured CC's? God, I loved that flavour. I really wish CC's still made them.

SkyWarp91
6th June 2011, 10:03 PM
Does anyone remember the tomato salsa-flavoured CC's? God, I loved that flavour. I really wish CC's still made them.

I remember them, they were pretty good tasting - but our house didn't buy that much CCs, nor corn chips for that matter. Are CCs still around?

griffin
7th June 2011, 03:26 PM
My favourite variety of M&Ms are finally in Australia - Almond!!!
One less item of junk food for me to gorge on in America... :p

I thought it was strange that after many years of these being in America and finally coming here, it looks like they stopped releasing them in America recently, as I only found them in one store while I was over there.
Probably a good thing I wasn't intending to gorge on them after all. :p

SkyWarp91
14th June 2011, 07:04 PM
Just noticed that Smith's potato chips have released their own fries, AUSSIE FRIES. Their tagline : 'Because we're not FRENCH!'. What a low-blow to French Fries LOL

Hursticon
15th June 2011, 01:12 PM
Just noticed that Smith's potato chips have released their own fries, AUSSIE FRIES. Their tagline : 'Because we're not FRENCH!'. What a low-blow to French Fries LOL

LOL! - That's awesome! :p:D

Zippo
15th June 2011, 02:18 PM
Well, if the New Zealand Potato Chip market wasn't already full .. I spotted Red Rock chips in the local supermarket the other day - MADE IN AUSTRALIA.

gantz
15th June 2011, 02:40 PM
Chilli Cheese Twisties!!

griffin
15th June 2011, 04:01 PM
It's ironic then that 'French Fries' used to be made by Smiths, but then Arnotts bought/acquired the 'label', who then sold it onto an Australian company... and now Smiths want to start selling that style of potato chip again.

(This got a bit confusing to work out, but I think I've got the timeline/history of the different chip brands in Australia over the last 10-15 years sorted out)

So Smiths used to make French Fries, among other brands....

By 1989 CocaColaAmatil had acquired and developed various Chips brands, including Smiths, CCs, Samboy, Twisties, Burger Rings and French Fries, under the name of CCA Snackfoods.

In 1993 CCA Snackfoods was sold to a UK company and renamed as Smiths Snackfood Company.

Arnotts (I think only made Thins at this time) was bought by American company Campbells in 1997 and sold their Thins brand to Smiths. (perhaps the new owners didn't want to be making potato chips, yet)

Smiths was bought by American company Frito-Lay in 1998 (which is owned by PepsiCo). (Thins was relabelled as Lays Thins for a short while, despite the Thins brand being 'offloaded' with a number of other brands. Lays Thins were soon rebranded as Smiths Crisps)
Because US Frito-Lay had their own brands of chips including Doritos, Cheetos and Lays Thins - Smiths/Frito-Lay were forced to 'offload' several 'Australian' brands out of their 'monopoly', into a new company called Snack Brands Australia that same year (CCs, Thins, French Fries, Cheezels, Samboy), to appease the ACCC.
This US owned company (Snack Brands Australia) was eventually sold to Snack Foods Ltd (an Australian Company) in 1999 to complete the deal with the ACCC.
Smiths still exists to this day as a US owned company, with their remaining brands - Doritos, Red Rock Deli, Cheetos, Smiths (crisps & crinkles), Burger Rings, Twisties, Stax, Grainwaves, Parkers Pretzels and Nobbys Nuts.

Now only 3 years later, that Australian Company (SFL - which had bought Smiths 'offloaded' company), was bought by UK-owned Arnotts/Campbells in 2002. (which meant Arnotts re-acquired their Thins brand after a 5 year absence)

But only 6 years after that, this UK-owned Snack Foods Ltd (by Arnotts/Campbells) was sold to (Australian) Real McCoy Snackfoods in 2008, making those brands 100% Australian made and owned once again. (and we saw Samboy produced once again)
Real McCoy then renamed themselves as Snack Brands Australia (taking on the company name that Smiths originally created in 1998)

So now in 2011, US-owned Smiths are making 'Aussie Fries' to compete against their formerly owned brand 'French Fries', which is currently being produced by an Australian Company Snack Brands Australia (a name they also created)...
Yes, the Australian company makes French Fries, while the non-Australian Company makes Aussie Fries.

(this was all done through wiki searches (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Smith%27s_Snackfood_Company)... so some details could be off)

SkyWarp91
16th June 2011, 11:41 PM
So to sum up what Griffin said, Smiths did a lo-blow to ACSBA :D:D

griffin
25th June 2011, 06:27 PM
CCs have gotten their own back at Smiths (who own Doritos), by releasing a 2-flavour "smash" pack. The concept has two flavours in the one pack, which works if the two flavours go well together, as the artificial flavours stay on the chips (until you touch them, and then it seems to stick to your hands), so don't rub off much in the pack. This lets you pick one chip at a time and experience two different flavours with the one purchase... but then you can grab more than one chip and mix the flavours to give you a new flavour.
In this pack they have Sweet Chilli & Sourcream with Tasty Cheese.
The reason I mentioned Doritos - last year I found two different packs in America (http://www.toycollectors.com.au/bc10/m05.jpg) of that concept, so now, if Doritos ever decide to bring to Australia the concept they probably developed, it would look like they copied CCs. :D

And Kettle Chips are also having a go at Smiths (who own Grainwaves), by just releasing their own versions of Grainwaves, with Honey BBQ and Sweet Chilli/Sourcream flavours.

SkyWarp91
2nd July 2011, 01:30 AM
Tried the worlds hottest burger, thanks to my brother for getting me it. I failed to finish after the first quarter (because it was so spicy and the burger was huge!!!!) and im in so much pain right now, it hurts coming out both ends!!!! :eek::eek:

1AZRAEL1
3rd July 2011, 12:33 PM
Tried the worlds hottest burger, thanks to my brother for getting me it. I failed to finish after the first quarter (because it was so spicy and the burger was huge!!!!) and im in so much pain right now, it hurts coming out both ends!!!! :eek::eek:

What is it? I wanna know. We made mince the other day and put a tiny bit of the devils delirium in it, man taht was so spicy it was great. Hate to see how hot it would be by putting more in. I will have to do it :D

mknell
3rd July 2011, 05:33 PM

Oooooh where where where I want to try this as well

STL
4th July 2011, 11:19 AM
I want (http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/157/burger-shoppe-richard-nouveau-wall-street?partner=rss&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+fastcompany%2Fheadlines+%28Fa st+Company+Headlines%29).

1AZRAEL1
4th July 2011, 11:22 AM
Wow, that looks nice, but gold flakes? thats just weird lol.

janda the red
6th July 2011, 12:57 PM
oh blessed beetroot...

you've made my boring old ham and salad sandwich a party in my mouth!

janda :)

SkyWarp91
6th July 2011, 02:39 PM
oh blessed beetroot...

you've made my boring old ham and salad sandwich a party in my mouth!

oh janda lol :)

World's Hottest Burger is at the Off The Wall diner in Wellington Point, Brisbane (i think that's where it's at).

The burger costs about $15, you have to sign a legal waiver and be over 18.

The burger itself just tastes hot lol, there's only green onions and lettuce which are rather tasteless with the spicy meat patty and the dried flaming chili sauce. I think if it had gherkin or tomatoes to add a bit of tang I would have handled the burger better - but then again it's called the World's Hottest Burger for a reason lol

janda the red
6th July 2011, 05:54 PM
^^ lol :p

if i made you laugh... i'm happy

griffin
7th July 2011, 12:20 AM
They still selling that... amazing. Myself and two other board members went there a couple years ago to try it, and I only got a quarter through mine.

Bartrim
7th July 2011, 07:48 AM
They still selling that... amazing. Myself and two other board members went there a couple years ago to try it, and I only got a quarter through mine.

I remember Soundwarps youtube vid to that. Considering what I've seen you eat, and the fact that you only got a 1/4 of the way through that burger, that is enough for me to know not to try it.

1AZRAEL1
7th July 2011, 08:11 AM
I remember Soundwarps youtube vid to that. Considering what I've seen you eat, and the fact that you only got a 1/4 of the way through that burger, that is enough for me to know not to try it.

Really? It's enough to see if I can do it haha. I don't care if I spend the whole of the next day on the toilet, I will eat that whole burger lol.

SkyWarp91
10th July 2011, 07:42 PM
http://snackbrands.com.au/upload/news/images/Chickadees_newscomp.png

Anyone else here a fan of Chickadees? Those puff/chips are so addictive! Damn you MSG-goodness!

KillinSpoon
10th July 2011, 07:55 PM
Really? It's enough to see if I can do it haha. I don't care if I spend the whole of the next day on the toilet, I will eat that whole burger lol.

You, Hursti and I? :P
I'd totally do it, the hotter the better!

janda the red
13th July 2011, 01:13 PM
pizza pies...

the awesomeness of a pie... topped with the glory of a pizza!!!

oh how my belly loves you...

janda :p

( from: pauls pies, brentford sq, vermont... just incase anyone's interested...lol )

SkyWarp91
13th July 2011, 03:18 PM
pizza pies...

the awesomeness of a pie... topped with the glory of a pizza!!!

oh how my belly loves you...

janda :p

( from: pauls pies, brentford sq, vermont... just incase anyone's interested...lol )

LOL I find it hilariously adorable that every post you do has your name at the end hahah

janda the red
13th July 2011, 05:35 PM
^ lmao... :p i knew you'd post mate.

it's just a habit from hanging around other forums.

my wife thinks i'm adorable too... lol :D ( albeit in a slightly different kinda way! )

TheFallen
13th July 2011, 10:42 PM
This is possibly the best thread ever.

I have a question, one time I was looking through a PFD Foods catalogue (they are a food distributer) and in it they had a packet of frozen Jalapeno Poppers. I think they were from Mcains or Birds Eye or one of those companies.

My question is, has anyone seen these in their frozen food sections? For the life of me I cannot find them so I am not sure if they ever got a release here or not.

SkyWarp91
14th July 2011, 12:33 AM
This is possibly the best thread ever.

I have a question, one time I was looking through a PFD Foods catalogue (they are a food distributer) and in it they had a packet of frozen Jalapeno Poppers. I think they were from Mcains or Birds Eye or one of those companies.

My question is, has anyone seen these in their frozen food sections? For the life of me I cannot find them so I am not sure if they ever got a release here or not.

I work in a supermarket and I haven't seen such a product yet, I think it might be in specific stores (did you ask the distributor what stores they distribute to?).

TheFallen
14th July 2011, 11:35 PM
No because I only saw it in a PFD foods catalogue. I tried to get my company to order some for me but they only come in bulk and if I don't like them then I have just wasted my money :)

SkyWarp91
15th July 2011, 03:28 AM
No because I only saw it in a PFD foods catalogue. I tried to get my company to order some for me but they only come in bulk and if I don't like them then I have just wasted my money :)

Just looked up some on youtube, I tried to imagine what my tongue would taste if it had one of these.

It's basically a deep fried halapeno pepper coated with breadcrumbs and egg that's been hollowed out with cream cheese, cheddar, cumin and cilantro mixture on the inside. So what I'd expect to taste is a crisp capsicum-like texture that offers a very mild spiciness with a that unique jalapeno tang followed by a much hotter, creamy cheese mixture with a very herbal yet ground hints. An odd combination indeed, but I picture it only tasting good if you had soft drinks on the side. By itself I think it would taste weird but with something sweet it should taste better.

liegeprime
15th July 2011, 11:28 AM
Hmmm quite cold now. SO Im having good ol fashion Shabu Shabu - good thing all the supplies are easy to find in Asian shops these days - nice hot soup and tender thin strips of beef with lots of silken tofu, fresh leafy veges and steamboat stuff, crabsticks, carrots sticks and mushrooms, hmmmm comfort food!;)

SkyWarp91
15th July 2011, 02:10 PM
Hmmm quite cold now. SO Im having good ol fashion Shabu Shabu - good thing all the supplies are easy to find in Asian shops these days - nice hot soup and tender thin strips of beef with lots of silken tofu, fresh leafy veges and steamboat stuff, crabsticks, carrots sticks and mushrooms, hmmmm comfort food!;)

so that's what it's called! I had a similar thing at a restaurant the other day. Delicious stuff, the hot soup I had was kim-chi flavoured! Thanks for naming it liege!

by the way how do you make that dipping sauce that looks like soy sauce but has so many spices like garlic (i think?) in it and you can mix the egg yolk into it?

griffin
16th July 2011, 01:45 PM
The Smiths Pizza flavoured chips that were released for the State of Origin and only available at Coles, are on clearance... $1 each, down from $3. :D
Grabbed myself 6 bags. :o
They aren't the best flavour, or my favourite, but who can beat $1 bags of chips.

And these guys (http://www.mos.co.jp/index.php) must know where I live... their only store outside of Asia just opened up 'next door' to me (http://www.mos.co.jp/english/overseas/storeinfo/australia/index.html).
I'd never heard of Mos Burger, but sounds interesting to have a combination of two of my favourite foods - Burgers and Japanese.
Guess where I'll be going (http://www.mos.co.jp/menu/hamburger/) for dinner tonight... :p

(everytime I see the name of that place though, for some reason I get the Cantina theme in my head... ;) )

liegeprime
16th July 2011, 02:27 PM
so that's what it's called! I had a similar thing at a restaurant the other day. Delicious stuff, the hot soup I had was kim-chi flavoured! Thanks for naming it liege!

by the way how do you make that dipping sauce that looks like soy sauce but has so many spices like garlic (i think?) in it and you can mix the egg yolk into it?

You dont have to do it yourself - if There's an asian shop near you - Tong Li for example. You just have to look at the Jap section for sauces - look for Ebara Sukiyaki No Tare. Ill post a pic of the bottle I bought once Ive taken shots.

But to make your own its actually a combination of Dashi, Mirin, Soysauce, Caster sugar and water

Dashi is basically Stock - either Bonito, Kelp or Shiitake Mushroom

You can make the dashi by boiling the ingredients abovein 500ml of water then reduce to a third by simmering, you can keep this stock then in the fridge for 3-4 days when your not about to use it.

Erm the one you where dip in egg yolk after you've taken it from the boiling soup is called Sukiyaki - just as delicious and tasty :D:D uses same soup stock anyways heheheeh

Firestorm
16th July 2011, 05:22 PM
The Smiths Pizza flavoured chips that were released for the State of Origin and only available at Coles, are on clearance... $1 each, down from $3. :D
Grabbed myself 6 bags. :o
They aren't the best flavour, or my favourite, but who can beat $1 bags of chips.

And these guys (http://www.mos.co.jp/index.php) must know where I live... their only store outside of Asia just opened up 'next door' to me (http://www.mos.co.jp/english/overseas/storeinfo/australia/index.html).
I'd never heard of Mos Burger, but sounds interesting to have a combination of two of my favourite foods - Burgers and Japanese.
Guess where I'll be going (http://www.mos.co.jp/menu/hamburger/) for dinner tonight... :p

(everytime I see the name of that place though, for some reason I get the Cantina theme in my head... ;) )

Woah, i didnt know we had a Mos Burger in Australia, cool.
I ate at Mos Burger a bunch of times while i was in Japan
though it probably wont be as cheap or as good as the ones in Japan. hope one opens up in my area soon

griffin
18th July 2011, 12:13 AM
A short review of MOS Burger.

Last night, as promised, I went to sample their burgers. It was approaching 7pm, and as with the last time I walked past the place at a similar time
there was this old man there repeating the same three lines to anyone who could hear him:
- Welcome to MOS Burger.
- The only MOS Burger in Australia.... so far.
- Very popular in Japan.

After looking at the website of their JP restaurant menu, I found that this Australian menu was very small... and only included burgers. Yes, I know
it's their name, but other burger franchises don't just exclusively sell burgers (except maybe, In&Out Burger in America).
The Menu has 11 burgers, and on the day I was there they had an extra 'limited edition' burger, which was a spicy version of their regular burger.

http://www.toycollectors.com.au/mos1.jpg

Aside from the Burgers, the rest of the menu contains sides and drinks.
And as you can see, the prices for most of the burgers are $4-something, which isn't too bad for something different.

The range of actual burgers is interesting though, with 7 of the 11 burgers using different types of meat. Compare that to the major franchises that
have about a dozen burgers using the same meat patty as it's base.

This also meant that I kinda had to buy more than I probably should have, just to sample as much of the range as possible.

So after standing in a queue for about 5-6 minutes, I placed my order:
Mos Burger (to see what the flagship burger is like without anything added)
Cheeseburger (because I'm a fan of cheeseburgers)
Teriyaki Chicken burger
Fish burger
Wagyu Beef cheeseburger
Seafood Kakiage Rice Burger (bun is made of pressed cooked rice)
Pork Ginger Rice Burger
Spicy Mos Burger

It totaled about $38.

You can watch them making the burgers, which helped pass the time, as it took about 10 minutes for them to get to my order and make it.

WARNING!!!!! - if you ever get takeaway from there, as with any franchise, be sure to check you have everything. They left out a burger on
my order, so was able to chase them up while I was there.
I've never gone back to a place to try to convince them of a missing item, but could imagine that it would be impossible to prove or get a replacement
- or else anyone could do it to get a free item.

Back home I unwrapped each one:

http://www.toycollectors.com.au/mos2.jpg

The thing you notice most is that they slather on a lot of wet stuff (sauces, mayo, onion relish, etc), and they even had signage in the store
to tell you to eat it in their bags to prevent dripping stuff onto your clothes.
Their bags are pretty good though, as they aren't just paper - they are grease/water proof.

The downside I had though is that these burgers got cold really fast... perhaps I'm too used to HJs burgers which are microwaved to make sure
they hold their heat longer. These ones only have the meat as their only hot element, which is probably absorbed really quickly into the other
components. They would therefore be best eaten there, as they are fresh and warm.
I was only able to eat 5 of them first up, and about 4 hours later I was able to eat the other 3 (after a quick zap in the microwave).

Each burger has its merits, and I may return to this place again in the future, but the ones I was least impressed with were the two seafood
ones. The Fish Burger tasted like something from McDonalds, and the Seafood Rice Burger had a strong taste to it that I couldn't quite work out
(and I'm not even sure what Seafood items were in it).

I liked the Teriyaki Chicken burger and the Cheeseburger, while the Pork Rice burger and Spicy burger were merit a mention as well.
The relish they have on some of the burgers is very nice, and gives it a really unique taste and texture.

The Wagyu beef seems over-rated though, as it costs a lot more than the others, but still tastes like Beef, so don't know what the fuss is all about.
So we get this Angus beef at HJs and McDonalds which is supposed to be a better beef, and now this Wagyu beef is showing up at places like
Subway...
My question is, what is the regular beef called then, and why is it so bad?

I didn't get to try their chips/fries (called both on their menu), but they didn't look to be anything special. Maybe next time.

BTW, the MOS in the name is an acronym of the words 'Mountain, Ocean, Sun'.
Some interesting info from a wiki site (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MOS_Burger) - this AUS store isn't the first outside of Asia, but is currently the only one at the moment, as their Hawaii store
closed in 2005. It is also the 2nd largest fast food franchise in Japan behind McDonalds, with over 1300 outlets.

They have an Australian website address (http://www.mosfood.com.au) quoted on their menu, but it doesn't have anything up yet. The restaurant has been open 3 months -
they should have had the website up before they even opened. (even the main JP website has nothing consumer-based about their AUS store)

They did have a nice little plaque on the wall to commemorate them being the first MOS Burger in Australia.

1AZRAEL1
18th July 2011, 06:35 AM
Mmmmmmm, they look nice. Hope they open up a store in Sydney. I'm particularly interested in the ginger pork burger.

KillinSpoon
18th July 2011, 10:47 AM
I'm just wondering why they don't have a regular pork burger... Can you change the rice bun to a regular one?

griffin
18th July 2011, 12:26 PM
I guess you could ask, because they market themselves as 'made to order' (as in it isn't pre-prepared).

Sharky
18th July 2011, 12:56 PM
they actually look very slimey and greasy.....and in some cases very off putting...

i will stick to pauls hamburgers!!! (any sydney siders ever get out to sylvania try them they are a beautiful burger)

Firestorm
18th July 2011, 05:14 PM
Shame the menu is so small,
Back in Japan my favorite burger was the Spicy Mos Cheese Burger (bun, mustard, burger, cheese, mayonnaise, jalapeno, onion, mos meat sauce, tomato, bun) I'd get it with a small serve of chips and a melon soda
my friend and I also tried: Teriyaki Burger, Teriyaki Chicken Burger, Regular Mos Burger, Roast Katsu Burger, their special Salty Butter Chicken Burger thing (limited time item) Mos Fried Chicken, Chili Dog, and probably 1 or 2 others I’m forgetting

And none of them looked sloppy and greasy like those ones

At least the price is still good enough

griffin
28th July 2011, 12:35 AM
Saw at the warehouse today - a new flavour of Doritos... "Burn". No idea what it is, as I could only see the outer carton.
Probably a spicy flavour.... or a bag of styrofoam (as in, getting burned). :p

SkyWarp91
28th July 2011, 12:46 AM
Saw at the warehouse today - a new flavour of Doritos... "Burn". No idea what it is, as I could only see the outer carton.
Probably a spicy flavour.... or a bag of styrofoam (as in, getting burned). :p

oh man a hot and spicy doritos? BRING IT ON!

Dkaris
28th July 2011, 01:33 AM
just got back from BP, they now sell pop tarts =]]]]]] its a great day for white trash everywhere.

1AZRAEL1
28th July 2011, 07:55 AM
Mmmmmm, spicy doritos. I will have to keep my eye out for this new flavour.

liegeprime
28th July 2011, 09:48 AM
they actually look very slimey and greasy.....and in some cases very off putting...

i will stick to pauls hamburgers!!! (any sydney siders ever get out to sylvania try them they are a beautiful burger)

Someone who guested in Ch7 Morning show was going around looking for the perfect burger - he did recommend Paul's too.:) Is it near a train station? Getting curious, Im not a burger person but I do enjoy a HJ burger every now and then... they taste better than Maccas IMO. I know, they're both mass production type burgers but since Im not a burger guy I dont go out ordering burgers on the menu hehehe:o:p

griffin
28th July 2011, 08:02 PM
I snuck a look inside one of the boxes at work today and it turns out that the new "Doritos Burn" flavour is indeed a hot chilli flavour. This in addition to their existing 'hot mexican salsa' flavour. (then on the way home I saw that Woolies already has them out on shelves, and on special - just that flavour)

It's definitely a hot flavour, but builds up after a few chips. It doesn't just hit you with a burning sensation from the first bite. It could be hotter, but I don't think they would sell to the masses if it was.

And there is a cross promotion with another brand of theirs - Pepsi. On the back of the pack it says to 'light your fire with doritos burn' and 'cool the burn with Pepsi Max Ceasefire Lime', with a pic of the new lime flavoured Pepsi Max bottle. (a soft drink flavour that hasn't arrived at our warehouse yet, nor was it at woolies)

Zippo
28th July 2011, 08:26 PM
I am looking forward to my trip across the ditch, for not only shopping but also Chicken Twistees and Oporto!

Damn you grifin for introducing Oporto to me 5 years ago. Now I can't get enough.

EDIT: Oh, MOS Burger. Had it a few times while in Singapore and its really nice and with most 'Western' take out is so cheap. Think I will have to take a tour out to Sunnybank on my travels to have one.

griffin
30th July 2011, 05:05 PM
Found the Lime Pepsi Max - not very 'limey'.
It's strange that we have various citrus varieties of Cola over the years here, but in America everything is cherry flavoured (coke, pepsi, Dr Pepper).

And the Doritos Burn are very sweet... possibly to offset the hotness of it for regular consumers. Neither of these (limited?) flavours will be missed by me when they've had their run. I won't buy either again.

1AZRAEL1
30th July 2011, 10:08 PM
They are ok, but nothing majorly great. I won't rush to buy them again. But the pepsi I can't drink anyway, stupid diet drinks :p

griffin
3rd August 2011, 12:07 AM
MOS Burger, part 2...

Christalcase and I went to MOS Burger last weekend, to test them out 'dine in' instead of 'take away', to see how they look and taste "fresh".

Anyway, I ordered the 'salad burger' (which is just the regular MOS Burger with lettuce added) meal, which came with a serving of chips and a drink (I ordered something green and icy... tasted weird, but not too bad). That day they were giving free corn soup with every meal deal, so that's why that's in the pic.

http://www.toycollectors.com.au/mos4.jpg

Christalcase ordered a Cheeseburger meal... the burger looked like this:

http://www.toycollectors.com.au/mos3.jpg

As can be seen, compared to my earlier pics, the burgers look a lot better when served fresh without being wrapped up to take away. Unlike other burger places, this place has so much sauce on the burgers, it goes everywhere when tightly wrapped up.
They present so well like this though, which helps make them look more accurate to the menu pics... unlike the big franchise places.

Again, it is recommended... but is better eaten there, than taking it home to unwrap a messy cold burger.

KillinSpoon
3rd August 2011, 12:31 AM
And the Doritos Burn are very sweet... possibly to offset the hotness of it for regular consumers. Neither of these (limited?) flavours will be missed by me when they've had their run. I won't buy either again.

Had these today and agree entirely, they taste like sweet doritos. Just plain doritos with the slightest spice as an aftertaste... Pretty disappointing.

@Mos Burger;
I find it quite funny but fitting that they serve bubble tea as a drink :P

Dkaris
3rd August 2011, 04:30 AM
attempted scrambled eggs tonight, i ended up with some kind of chopped up omelet. lol

janda the red
3rd August 2011, 01:13 PM
attempted scrambled eggs tonight, i ended up with some kind of chopped up omelet. lol

lol... you sound like my lil brother, he could probably burn water! ;)

gotta start somewhere though

Prowl
3rd August 2011, 05:48 PM
I have become adddicted to Chickadees (3 packs in 2 weeks). It would be 25 years since I had some & they are as good as ever.

Dkaris
4th August 2011, 01:25 AM
Stopped by Franklins today and picked up some tiny teddies. the cashier said to me "these aren't for you.. are they?" lol i dont see the big deal. its not my fault tiny teddies are delicious!

griffin
4th August 2011, 05:50 AM
Hope they were only joking/flirting. Otherwise, that's almost as bad as being asked if a TFs toy I'm buying is for "my kid"... as if adults don't eat or buy things marketed to kids.
It's not like the packaging says it isn't for adults. :p

griffin
6th August 2011, 10:12 PM
I found these at Belconnen Westfield, and they are really yummy... battered chicken strips. :D

http://www.toycollectors.com.au/canb04.jpg

Never seen it before, and I guess it's true - everything tastes great battered. :p
If only I had some tomato sauce...

SkyWarp91
6th August 2011, 11:36 PM
I found these at Belconnen Westfield, and they are really yummy... battered chicken strips. :D

*snip*

Never seen it before, and I guess it's true - everything tastes great battered. :p

Isn't that just like KFC then?

griffin
7th August 2011, 12:56 AM
KFC don't have batter... like 'Fish-n-chip' style batter. Just look at how thick the batter is on that sucker... just imagine how much cholesterol has been absorbed into that. :p

Original recipe KFC is more like 'crumbing' than 'battering' anyway.

Zippo
7th August 2011, 04:01 AM
My first meal in Australia, oportos!
With it being about 2 minutes away from my hotel in surfers paradise, I think i know what I am having most nights for dinner. And a good meal deal on at the moment.

Just as well I am more active while on holiday in order to try and burn off some of the exttra fat eaten during holidays.

liegeprime
7th August 2011, 11:31 AM
dang you can really see the oil absorbed in the paper case it's inserted in, bet you theres more still in the batter:D:D

Prowl
7th August 2011, 02:29 PM

snip

If anyone is around the Mascot area in Sydney you can buy the best fried chicken pieces, tenders & anything chicken from a place called Zistys on the cnr of Beaconsfield & Queen st Beaconsfield.

Yes it takes courage to buy their stuff as you can get sick but they sell by weight!

"$3 worth of tenders & $2 of popcorn chicken please. Why yes I will have a can of coke"

They also have a shop at Westfield Eastgardens.

griffin
22nd August 2011, 01:35 AM
Tried the two new KFC 'Signature' Burgers. Very messy, as the lettuce is chopped up so falls out all over the place, and the cheese in the Parmasan one was also chunks that kept falling out. Neither was worth the $7, but were probably worth trying once.

When I bought them yesterday, I was a bit amused by this huge lady at the register next to me - she was making a big fuss about how she was paying more for a "premium" burger, so wanted them to make her another one, because the first one had been sitting on the warming tray for a couple minutes (the burger was made first, but something else she ordered took a few minutes to be ready).
Really.... she was being all snobbish about the quality of her food, at a KFC!
And she was a massive lady too, who was ordering one of those family feast combos - by the time she gets home with the food, would it have really mattered if the burger had existed in its complete form (on the warming tray) a minute longer? The fresher one that didn't even touch the warming tray probably got colder faster, and was less enjoyable when she got it home.

bowspearer
23rd August 2011, 01:48 AM
One of my little inventions:
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b10/Bowspearer/2010-12-24_21-02-45_949.jpg

Chocolate trifle, with chocolate mousse, chocolate custard and jaffa mud pudding.

Dkaris
23rd August 2011, 03:29 AM
^^ somehow put that in an IV and get it into my veins! looks so good

kristofferrer
23rd August 2011, 05:29 AM
... she was making a big fuss about how she was paying more for a "premium" burger, so wanted them to make her another one, because the first one had been sitting on the warming tray for a couple minutes (the burger was made first, but something else she ordered took a few minutes to be ready).
Really.... she was being all snobbish about the quality of her food, at a KFC!

Gosh, I go to fast food joints not for premium food but for fast service!

Stopped by Franklins today and picked up some tiny teddies. the cashier said to me "these aren't for you.. are they?" lol i dont see the big deal. its not my fault tiny teddies are delicious!

I agree ... if asked, I say: "these are for me" when i buy TF toys too.

I have become adddicted to Chickadees (3 packs in 2 weeks). It would be 25 years since I had some & they are as good as ever.

HECK YES! i got my first taste at my work mates engagement party FTW!

MOS Burger, part 2...

Christalcase and I went to MOS Burger last weekend, to test them out 'dine in' instead of 'take away', to see how they look and taste "fresh".

The only MOS Burder in Australia is right next door to you mate ! It's pretty good in japan as well but the Aus Mos Wagyu beef is still my favourite.

griffin
23rd August 2011, 11:45 AM
I saw the other day that Kellogs were downsizing a number of their cereal sizes by as much as 15-20%... and still being sold at about the same price. And woolies had 'New' shelf tags out for them, as if it was a new product, not a new (smaller) size. :rolleyes:

griffin
26th August 2011, 01:18 AM
A new limited-edition Twisties flavour is out - cheese & bacon. Not too bad, but not too exciting, as it is a flavour that has been available for ages in things like Cheetos.

1AZRAEL1
27th August 2011, 02:50 PM
Ate a packet of Kelloggs Apple Jacks cereal just now, they are pretty damn good. Like cheerios ,but flavoured with apple and cinnamon.

griffin
27th August 2011, 10:38 PM
Are they out in Australia, or did you get them from a specialty import store / from someone who got them in America?

1AZRAEL1
28th August 2011, 02:42 PM
I wish they were out here. Found them a specialty store that sells alot of that stuff. Was a plastic cup, one serving of them. I mite go pick up more this week.

gamblor916
28th August 2011, 03:17 PM
I had a cupcake. It was delicious :D

http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/3743/img0614q.jpg

http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/3584/img0616ju.jpg

SkyWarp91
3rd September 2011, 12:59 AM
What's a real good pie brand with lots of meat and gravy? I grabbed a traveler's pie from the local petrol station the other day (think it was Four N Twenty) and it had barely any gravy in it! :mad:

griffin
3rd September 2011, 04:06 PM
I find that Mrs Macs has a lot of gravy (you can find them at Woolies/Caltex).

I'm not a fan of the gravy though, as it means there's less meat filling... and can be a bit messy to eat as it runs out. I like ones with more 'solid' fillings, especially ones that have diced beef instead of minced beef.

Onto something different...
I noticed at work yesterday, three new Smiths Chips flavours heading out to stores.
- Crispy Bacon
- Sunday Roast
- Pie & Tomato Sauce (exclusive to Coles, for the footy finals - like the Pizza flavour was for the Origin series)

gantz
5th September 2011, 04:49 PM
WTF kinda flavour is 'Sunday Roast'?!

Sounds more like 'Mystery Meat' flavour! Does it come with 'Malk'?

Will get on the Crispy Bacon and Pie/Sauce though :)

liegeprime
5th September 2011, 09:33 PM
WTF kinda flavour is 'Sunday Roast'?!

Sounds more like 'Mystery Meat' flavour! Does it come with 'Malk'?

Will get on the Crispy Bacon and Pie/Sauce though :)

It's "generic meat" flavored I guess:p

griffin
5th September 2011, 11:53 PM
They actually featured it on Channel 9's "Sunday Roast" footy show, and said it tasted like scrums. :p
Sunday Roast looks like a type of chicken flavour... probably their regular chicken flavour with added MSG.
I also noticed that the Pizza flavour is back - maybe a regular flavour now, not just a limited edition Coles exclusive.
So now its four packs of chips I gotta buy & try next time I'm at Coles... :p

griffin
7th September 2011, 11:45 AM
Tried the Pie and Roast flavours, and I gotta say, they nailed both flavours perfectly. The Pie flavour - I could taste the beef, pastry and tomato sauce. And with the Sunday Roast flavour, it was like I had a mouthful of roasted vegetables and chicken. I was really impressed.
Both are recommended, even to just try them out, and are on special this week (2 for $4 at coles - woolies don't have them)

(I didn't try the bacon or pizza flavours, as the sunnybank store are always slow getting in new stuff and didn't have them yet)

griffin
10th September 2011, 06:48 PM
I gotta stay out of the chips aisle me thinks...
Found 5 new Pringles flavours, and bought 4 to try.
Tomato sauce - nice and accurate.
Bacon - I could swear that I could taste the rind, the flavour was so perfect.
Honey Mustard - very nice, tastes like the Red Rock Honey Mustard flavour.
Wholemeal Sour Cream & Onion - haven't tried it yet.
Wholemeal plain - didn't buy it.

It didn't help that Coles had 2 for $7 for the non-wholemeal flavours.

And to make things even worse, I then saw 5 new Shapes flavours. Fortunately they weren't on sale, so only bought 2 to try out - BBQ Ribs and Pepper Steak. Both were nice, but are the crispier style of biscuit like the Gourmet flavours (I prefer the crunchier style of the main flavours).

I'm so weak willed, I think I should avoid supermarkets completely. :(

griffin
18th October 2011, 01:06 PM
Vegemite Smiths crinkle cut chips - nice mild tasting chips, but not addictive, so probably good that they are only being released in a smaller 90gm size.
Twisties ghostly flavour - taste and texture similar to those old Freers Burgerman snacks. Nice, but flavour is too mild. Done as ghost shapes.
CC's Energy (cheese flavour with guarana/caffeine) - totally stupid idea... it's not the sort of food you'd choose for an energy hit, and I didn't feel anything different as the saturated fats were having their normal sluggish affect. If you are after caffeine or an energy hit, grab a sugary cola softdrink - it'd have a quicker affect, and would actually be healthier for you (with just sugar, compared to sugar & fat in the CCs).

tron07
18th October 2011, 02:48 PM
Zumbo is open at The Star casino. You can get macaroons for $2.50 each there, no need to wake up early to queue at their Balmain store.

SkyWarp91
16th November 2011, 02:21 AM
Cheeseburger Flavoured Twisties taste like... ..CHEESEBURGERS!!! WHOA!!!

RokDog
26th November 2011, 11:15 PM
Zumbo is open at The Star casino. You can get macaroons for $2.50 each there, no need to wake up early to queue at their Balmain store.

Dunno about their macaroons, but just about everything else at that Zumbo store is a disgrace. The dessert train is empty of people and of desserts (on a Fri night), they mucked up my order and also sold me a dessert that had gone off (the manager tried it and agreed...).

Pretty sure they won't be around for much longer at the Star

liegeprime
27th November 2011, 04:33 PM
been trying to perfect the cooking technique of Takoyaki. Got my hotplate /mold for it delivered weeks ago and been cooking up a batch every now and then. It's not as easy as it looks:p:p, I might try replacing it with prawns instead, they don't sell octopus tentacles alone and I dont wanna end up with a lot of leftover octopus meat, plus it's cheaper getting prawns ..

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb313/liegeprime/Random%20Photo%20shoots/DSC00921.jpg
that bulldog sauce makes it really tasty:p

SkyWarp91
2nd December 2011, 02:45 AM
Just made my own chips and salsa and holy crap I could eat this stuff for the rest of my life. It has:

- Handful of Mission Lime'n'Chilli Corn Triangles/Chips
- 3x Diced Tomatos
- 1/2 Cup Diced Lettuce
- 1/2 Diced Capsicum
- Couple Tablespoons of Corn Cernels
- 1/2 Can of Refried Beans
- Squeeze of Lime
- Tablespoon chopped coriander leaves
- 1/4 Onion Sliced
- Couple of Shakes Tobasco Sauce
- Some Halapeno Slices

Lay out the chips on a plate and mix all other ingredients before adding them on top of the chips and DAYUM you have a very nice dish here.

What I like mostly about this meal though is that after eating it you feel full, but it's the right type of full. You've filled yourself with good healthy ingredients and your throat doesn't feel greased up and you actually feel refreshed as opposed to drowsy like you do when you eat Fast Food.

Highly Recommended Dish

Firestorm
2nd December 2011, 04:00 AM
Just made my own chips and salsa and holy crap I could eat this stuff for the rest of my life. It has:

- Handful of Mission Lime'n'Chilli Corn Triangles/Chips
- 3x Diced Tomatos
- 1/2 Cup Diced Lettuce
- 1/2 Diced Capsicum
- Couple Tablespoons of Corn Cernels
- 1/2 Can of Refried Beans
- Squeeze of Lime
- Tablespoon chopped coriander leaves
- 1/4 Onion Sliced
- Couple of Shakes Tobasco Sauce
- Some Halapeno Slices

Lay out the chips on a plate and mix all other ingredients before adding them on top of the chips and DAYUM you have a very nice dish here.

What I like mostly about this meal though is that after eating it you feel full, but it's the right type of full. You've filled yourself with good healthy ingredients and your throat doesn't feel greased up and you actually feel refreshed as opposed to drowsy like you do when you eat Fast Food.

Highly Recommended Dish

That sounds really good, will have to try doing that sometime

been trying to perfect the cooking technique of Takoyaki. Got my hotplate /mold for it delivered weeks ago and been cooking up a batch every now and then. It's not as easy as it looks:p:p, I might try replacing it with prawns instead, they don't sell octopus tentacles alone and I dont wanna end up with a lot of leftover octopus meat, plus it's cheaper getting prawns ..

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb313/liegeprime/Random%20Photo%20shoots/DSC00921.jpg
that bulldog sauce makes it really tasty:p

great, now i want Takoyaki .....

liegeprime
2nd December 2011, 10:59 AM
that xchips and Salsa recipe sounds yummy Skywarp91... very asian inspired flavours, might give it a try sounds like it's nice to have especially on a hot summer day with a big pitcher of tamarind and mint Ice tea:D

SkyWarp91
2nd December 2011, 04:10 PM
Here's a photo to inspire those inspired by my recipe:

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff245/gc_xiahou_nguyen/CopyofP1140006.jpg

bowspearer
3rd December 2011, 04:05 PM
3 words- pasture fed beef! After trying what beef as it should be tastes like, I'm never going back to the non-organic stuff. To say it's bland in comparison is an understatement of an understatement.

Bartrim
3rd December 2011, 05:19 PM
Feel so buggered with this cold, moving warehouse and karate grading that it definitely feels like a steak night. I need some solid fuel:D

Hursticon
3rd December 2011, 07:42 PM
Feel so buggered with this cold, moving warehouse and karate grading that it definitely feels like a steak night. I need some solid fuel:D

Aw man, Steak sounds friggin' good at the moment! :D

Bartrim
4th December 2011, 09:14 AM
Aw man, Steak sounds friggin' good at the moment! :D

It was awesome. Porterhouse covered in masterfoods mild steak seasoning, then put them on the grill, then throw a capful of Johnnie Walker red label over each steak. It was fantastic and much needed:)

Hursticon
4th December 2011, 09:30 AM
It was awesome. Porterhouse covered in masterfoods mild steak seasoning, then put them on the grill, then throw a capful of Johnnie Walker red label over each steak. It was fantastic and much needed:)

Aw man that sounds bloody good, I hate you. :p:D

liegeprime
4th December 2011, 06:33 PM
Well it was sunny this morning then it started to rain midday, Ive already set what I wanted to eat on a "sunny" day so even though it was raining I went along and made these for lunch

Vietnamese rice paper rolls

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb313/liegeprime/Random%20Photo%20shoots/DSC01016.jpg

and for dinner something spicy and hot - my first attempt at cooking Pad Thai - didn't use the pre made sauces as I found an interesting recipe of it on the net...

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb313/liegeprime/Random%20Photo%20shoots/DSC01018.jpg

gantz
14th December 2011, 10:39 AM
Tomato & Basil Le Snack is flavour explosion in my mouth :D

SkyWarp91
21st December 2011, 09:59 PM
Tried Japanese Pan-Fried Dumplings today, man that stuff is real, and I mean REAL greasy!!

SkyWarp91
13th April 2012, 04:36 AM
Explicit yet food-related and hilarious:

Black Man Vs 3 Ghost Peppers
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qg-t346CGoM

gamblor916
23rd May 2012, 10:44 PM
Why so serious?

http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/7950/p1012415u.jpg

liegeprime
23rd May 2012, 11:38 PM
Tried Japanese Pan-Fried Dumplings today, man that stuff is real, and I mean REAL greasy!!

Yeah commercially sold Gyoza's can be, you can always make some... less greasy but maybe even tastier :D

Doubledealer
24th May 2012, 12:09 AM
Explicit yet food-related and hilarious:

Black Man Vs 3 Ghost Peppers
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qg-t346CGoM

LOL!! Damn that was good, my favourite part:

"I ate hot peppers...Close the door. Agghhh, so hot. Hey, how my face look? BAD?! Oh lord I"m already ugly!"

Totally classic. :D

5FDP
25th May 2012, 12:03 PM
Can anyone living in western Sydney recommend a Chinese restaurant? My fav one has changed ownership and is no where near as good.

liegeprime
25th May 2012, 10:19 PM
It's such a cold day today and yesterday....

perfect weather for some comfort food - nice hot chicken porridge:D - Arrozcaldo!

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb313/liegeprime/DSC01956.jpg

Hursticon
27th May 2012, 06:19 PM
I have had a phobia of Asiatic foods since the age of 5 (Had a Chinese Omelet that made me sick for over a week :o), but over the past couple of weeks I have found a new favourite dish: Chicken Pad Thai! :D:cool:

morg176
30th May 2012, 07:48 PM
chocolate. end of statement. :D

SkyWarp91
30th May 2012, 11:11 PM
chocolate. end of statement. :D

Don't know man, generic chocolate from the reject shop ain't so tasty...

liegeprime
30th May 2012, 11:24 PM
I have had a phobia of Asiatic foods since the age of 5 (Had a Chinese Omelet that made me sick for over a week :o), but over the past couple of weeks I have found a new favourite dish: Chicken Pad Thai! :D:cool:

Sorry to hear that...must be a bad batch you had...

Oh Ive cooked that (Pad Thai) before too Hursty :D.

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb313/liegeprime/Random%20Photo%20shoots/DSC01018.jpg

Sticky and chewy with that tang flavor from the tamarind juice, yum. I used Prawn and Chicken in mine - just coz I can heheheh might as well indulge. Of course Claratyne was in order after wards hehehehe

@morg176 : make mine Dark Chocolate;)... I don't really like the Chocolate used in easter eggs, has that yucky I dont know kinda flavor to it.

SkyWarp91
30th May 2012, 11:28 PM
I love most asian food, and that pad-thai looks awesome but most chinese food that i eat, especially the fried ones makes me feel so full but so hungry shortly after because all of that damn MSG

liegeprime
30th May 2012, 11:31 PM
I love most asian food, and that pad-thai looks awesome but most chinese food that i eat, especially the fried ones makes me feel so full but so hungry shortly after because all of that damn MSG

THANKS Skywarp91, yeah, it's best to make your own, MSG free :D. Which is why I usually just eat the dish so i can deconstruct it or, have a basis for what it tastes like before I search for the recipe. At least when Im cooking it, while Im cooking it I know if Im headed in the right direction if I get the taste right. :D

I only ate Thai food the first time when my cousin invited me to eat at Holy Basil at Canlyvale - Im still figuring out how to copy their Fried ice cream - thin 1 layer filo pastry wrapper not the usual crumb wrap... Ive got the theoretical on how to go about it, but skills wise I don't think I have it hehehe

SkyWarp91
20th June 2012, 09:05 PM
Bought some US products yesterday.

Chocolate Lucky Charms
http://explosivedonut.com/wp-content/uploads/ChocolateLuckyCharmsHellYes_6891/image01.png

Tastes just like coco pops, and the charms are basically just sugar cubes.

Marshmallow FLuff
http://humoroutcasts.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/marshmallow-fluff-entert0406-de.jpg

This stuff tastes amazing, but it's best stored at room-temp. If it's refrigerated it becomes really tough to spread.