PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate Bumblebee Review

STL
20th March 2008, 03:39 PM
Okay, this guy has started hitting the shops.

Initial murmurings have slagged him. Are they justified?

He's a Supreme Class figure essentially who is called 'Ultimate'. If you read comics, you're no doubt aware that the Ultimate line at Marvel is all about superior quality. Can the same be said of this figure? Is he worth the wait? And, more importantly, is he worth the money?

Oh, and before I begin the review kind thanks to Iceburn for letting me play with his. He was the one who made this review possible, providing the images below. Thanks Ice!

http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/962/p8260272afw5.jpg (http://img403.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p8260272afw5.jpg)

http://img410.imageshack.us/img410/7792/p8260274bis6.jpg (http://img410.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p8260274bis6.jpg)

http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/2972/p8260273cnd4.jpg (http://img403.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p8260273cnd4.jpg)

Vehicle mode:

It is quite detailed. The markings are that of the Camaro. That said, there is an incredibly kiddie feel to this alt mode. This is a combination of the plastic used and the dull windows. What we get is something that is a Camaro but feels closer to a FAB vehicle mode. Don't get me wrong, the detailing is high, however, the colours ruin it.

The other quibble that plagues this figure are the parts that don't clip in nicely. If one does not perfect the transformation, the end result is that the Camaro will end up with gaps between the parts in his vehicle mode. This is frustratingly detracting.

The other little complaint i have is the Autobot insignia on the bonnet. I don't dig that. I liked how they were concealed on the other BBs. Here it ruins once again the realistic look they should have tried to achieve.

There's something I can't quite place as well about the alt mode. I think it is the back windows, which curve on a slope, are not sleek enough. It does slope downwards but the decline is as smooth and sleek as a Deluxe BB08. The net effect again is that the alt mode feels subpar.

An abysmal, unforgivable, flaw is the wheels, unlike BTs or Alts, do not rotate in unison. Really, that is just plain pathetic.

The doors are the final disappointment. They open poorly and one sees the two hanging clip wires used to hang the doors onto his back. When the doors open, it's more like they fall out, the 'clip' wires holding them to the figure.

Transformation:
The arms are the worst part to lock into place. The locks that clip into the body in robot mode are operated by the twisting of the arms. It is an necessarily complication which, on your first attempt (as Iceburn will attest), is nerve-rackingly irritating. I spent little time getting it right but even then it was annoying why the complicatiom had to exist.

The rest of it requires a little tinkering but it is a relatively complicated transformation. Lots of little bits to turn and fit into place. If it isn't right, as mentioned above, this will severely affect the appearance of the alt mode.

Robot Mode:
Here's where the money should be. He has one awesome Deluxe mold out there. This should be able to match it. It is called Ultimate Bumblebee after all. This though is a utterly pathetic, bordering on disgusting, robot. It displays well enough in box but once it's out, it's like a Pandora's box - things only get worst.

Where to begin, where to begin?

First articulation is infinitely non-existent.
- The knees move to a 45 degree angle at most. The rest of the leg can be moved in all directs but the battery box at the back (it's towards his waist) prevents any cool poses. More than anything, he is liable to fall flat on his face. Almost a deserved fate. Almost.
- The left (gun) arm does not bend. Furthermore, it cannot be lifted 90 degrees so that it is parallel to the ground. It can't be moved or posed. Period. The only time it moves is with the electronics.
- The right arm bends at the elbow. The fingers move. However, it is the same as the other arm. You cannot do anything at the shoulders. You can't raise the arm parallel to the ground or even perpendicular to it.
- There is no articulation in the neck. It is likely governed by the electronics. Try as you to bend it to the side for a different pose but it will simply automatically rotate back to looking blankly straight ahead.
- There is no waist articulation. That is one of the most crucial points of articulation on many a figure. It simply is not possible b/c the battery pack is in the way and runs up the back.

Next, we have that shamefully lame missile. One would hope that with the price tag attached to this ultimate figure, a missile could be designed that merited being an accessory to an ultimate figure. It is an orange missile that resembles an Attacktix missile. I kid you not. Those of you who have basic Attacktix missiles, check for yourselves.

Balance: Very top heavy and the battery pack being located on the waist area defeats any hope one might have of fixing him into any pose.

Detailing. It actually isn't bad. But to be honest, it's not hard to get right.

There are also slightly different yellow coloured plastics used at the leg/shins to other parts. Another minor issue that should've been easily fixed at the design stage.

Gimmicks:
Essentially, the motion sensors are cool. The songs do get tiresome though and in robot mode it really relies you pressing a button and Ultimate BB responding by moving his arms in time with a song/sound. That = 100% lame.

Gimmcks should enhance play value. Here they do not. I guess a case could be mounted that the alt mode gimmicks with brake noises and speeding up noises are cool but how often are you going to drag ur Ult Camaro for 3 metres to appreciate the sound effects of a toy speeding up and slowing down? Not often, I'd suspect.

The robot mode gimmicks are the worst. Fact is you can't play with it. You can't lif the arms. You can't even get him into a good pose b/c he's liable to fall over. These songs that he can play and move his arms to are useless.

I'm not sure if it was flaw of this particular Ultimate BB, but there is also hardly any potency in the firing of the missile. I've seen rusting G1 figures shoot with more conviction.

Price:
I mention this b/c he is expensive. Cheaper than we anticipated originally but expensive nonetheless. And for the price that he demands from consumers, he really does not deliver. There is a sense of cheapness about him.

Overall:1/10.
A combination of price, articulation, balance and fun renders this figure to an ultimately (pun intended) dismal score. There is far too much standing against this figure. He should, deservedly so, remain a shelf warmer. However, he will not be b/c of the intense affection the movie has given him.

I have him but will keep him in box (except for removing the battery). I can't do much with this toy, but I enjoyed the movie too much not to have him. In fact, while at Iceburn's joint, I played with Energon Omega Supreme and Fatimus Prime. They are superior fun.

Back to Ult BB. If you want him, buy it now, don't open it, then come back in a 20% off sale. That is my intended course of action. Even then though, you will feel hard press not to feel underwhelmed.

GoktimusPrime
20th March 2008, 09:07 PM
Yeah, everything I've seen and heard about this toy makes me so not ever want to get one. I'm happy with my Deluxe version. :)

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/bumblebee_lightpipe.jpg
^seems like better value for monies.

dirge
20th March 2008, 10:11 PM
I pretty much agree with you, STL, although I was a little kinder - primarily because a lot of the "kiddie" stuff is deliberate.

Still, it's rubbish (http://www.cliffbee.com/reviews/ubb.php)!

Vector Sigma 13
1st April 2008, 09:55 PM
I finally pulled mine out of the box and im very dissapointed- especially with the doors on mine that dont line up in car mode. Overall quality is low. Makes it look cheap. Voice is poxy too.

Kyle
22nd July 2008, 12:51 PM
Ultimate BB looks like he's wearing a tube top...

Robzy
22nd July 2008, 03:37 PM
Overall:1/10. :eek:

WOW!... I guess I won't be getting this guy then!

PS: Nice review STL! :)

SilverDragon
23rd July 2008, 10:44 AM
I never even planned on getting this guy (cost and income: prohibitive). I'm now even more convinced not to get him.

Pulse
23rd July 2008, 03:44 PM
For some unexplainable reason, Mum's/Dad's seem to like him for his gift factor... :confused: (Maybe they'll also like him for his exchange/refund factor :))

Paulbot
23rd July 2008, 03:53 PM
Ultimate Bumblebee is a novelty but he's not omg the w0rst transformer evah! The current sales have him nice and cheap too for such a big toy so he's a bargain for parents. He can't be played with like an action figure because it's not an action figure, its a robot replica / car replica with added sound and lights and a working transformation (which is clunky but it works and deserves some credit). When I look up and see the big Camaro sitting on my shelf, bigger than any other TF toy I have, I don't regret buying it.

Kyle
23rd July 2008, 06:30 PM
He definitely not the worst ever. I have 2 actually... :o

1orion2many
23rd July 2008, 10:45 PM
He definitely not the worst ever. I have 2 actually... :o

:eek:OH THE HORROR:p:D

Bartrim
24th July 2008, 10:22 AM
I've got to agree with Paulbot as I too have no regrets about owning a Ult. Bumblebee. In fact when my house is built he is taking pride and place at the end of my bar:D

STL
24th July 2008, 11:44 PM
Just saw ur new sig, Bartrim. It rocks. ;)

TF76
25th July 2008, 11:40 AM
I like him too, I got him at Xmas, my girlfriend found him on sale with the 2 deluxe from Kmart.

She showed me one months before and I was not that impressed. Slowly the desire for him built and leading up to Xmas I felt like a kid wanting him so bad.

He isn't the best, or worst transformer, his transformation is fun and long, his gimmicks are good in moderation. I just think people expected something different maybe like masterpiece quality but from what I read he never promised to be.

Yes he could have been more detailed or articulated or interactive but for what he is I think he is great. Worth picking one up for under $100.