PDA

View Full Version : Wave-1 PCC Commanders - Combiner modes

griffin
23rd May 2010, 01:06 AM
Comparisson picture of the five wave-1 PCC Commander toys in their Powerup (combiner) modes.
For those who don't know, every Commander toy has the ability to be a Combiner, but only some are packed with a set of drones (5-packs), while others are just packed with a minicon (2-packs).

My guess is that the designers picked the ones that looked best in Combiner mode and packed them with drones, as that mode would be the form featured on the packaging - the less appealing ones were then put in 2-packs which don't even show their Powerup mode.

Top row is Searchlight, Smolder and Huffer. Bottom row is Skyburst and Bombshock. In the middle are the Minicons in their Chest-armour modes (just like the Commander Powerup modes, these Minicon modes are not shown on the packaging).

http://www.toycollectors.com.au/pccyp9.jpg

I think Huffer would have been a good 5-pack Commander, but Smolder and Searchlight have flaws, so isn't surprising they were put in a 2-pack.

liegeprime
23rd May 2010, 04:54 AM
I agree Huffer would look great as a 5 pack commander, while the other 2 would appear like the're wearing those inflated thigh pantaloons the old Charlie Chaplain directors look like. Plus Smolder has that "why my shoulders hurt" look in that mode.:D

reillyd
23rd May 2010, 09:51 AM
Thanks for the heads up about Springwood Griffin. It saves a long drive, and at least there's free parking. After seeing your figures all lined up like that, I think I've at least got to gets me the two packs with minicons.

jaydisc
23rd May 2010, 10:00 AM
I think Searchlight works better with the Aerialbots.

MV75
23rd May 2010, 12:54 PM

Scarey day, two posts and I'm agreeing with you again. The helicopter one looks great as a body. Maybe the blades might have been an issue?

Can the "chest pieces" be put on the combined bots? And what about weapon modes? Can the combiners use them?

Zippo
23rd May 2010, 01:30 PM
Can someone who has opened Huffer help with this q:

Where are the blue posts for the combined mode for Huffer while in Alt mode.
Its the biggest complaint I have about PCC - the colour and position of the combiner pegs in alt mode (and even robot mode for that matter)

No attempt to hide them or anything

griffin
23rd May 2010, 06:08 PM

I agree - I took a photo of the different combinations (Commanders to Drone groups) and Searchlight with Aerialbots looked to be one of the better sets. Even better looking than Skyburst.

Can the "chest pieces" be put on the combined bots? And what about weapon modes? Can the combiners use them?

The Minicons in Armour mode can still plug into the combined modes, but only on the 2-pack Commanders (the 5-pack Commanders don't have them for some reason). Weapons can't be held though, as these combiners suffer the same problem as the Universe/Energon Combiners, in that they have no fists (and in the case of the Aerialbots, no real feet).

Can someone who has opened Huffer help with this q:

Where are the blue posts for the combined mode for Huffer while in Alt mode.
Its the biggest complaint I have about PCC - the colour and position of the combiner pegs in alt mode (and even robot mode for that matter)

No attempt to hide them or anything

The bright blue peg thing annoys me most too. With Huffer and Bombshock, they totally spoil the look of the toy. Why oh why didn't Hasbro colour them to match the toy? The toys aren't big enough to need them coloured to find them. Most pegs are out into the open, so aren't at risk of being 'lost'.
And the packaging pics are so deceptive, with pegs looking a darker blue, hidden from the angle of the photo, or as in the case of Searchlight - cropped out of the photo completely (the two top ones).

I wouldn't have a problem with the pegs sticking out, if they were coloured to match the toy. I love the Huffer toy in truck mode, but those darn blue pegs at the back.... :mad:

Anyway, locations of the pegs in their alt modes:
Huffer - arm pegs hidden within truck mode, leg pegs sticking up at the back of the truck mode (can see one in the packaging pic)
Searchlight - arm pegs and leg pegs are all sticking out the back of the chinook mode.
Smolder - arm pegs can be seen at the rear of the vehicle, leg pegs can be seen under front of vehicle.
Bombshock - arm pegs stick out the back of vehicle mode, leg pegs hidden within vehicle mode.
Skyburst - arm pegs and leg pegs are all actually hidden within jet mode.

griffin
23rd May 2010, 06:16 PM
Had a request on the tfw2005 boards to take photos of the 2-pack Commanders with the Drone teams.

Since the legs appear to be universal in length, it allows for a bit of mix-and-match between Commanders.

But since you not only can have a mixing of Drones, you can even have switching of left and right side limbs, giving even more possible
combinations (to pick a combination that looks best for you).

I started with Bombshock, since there is interest in trying to make a more Gen1 style Combaticon set.

First, Bombshock with his own Drones, and with the Aerialbot Drones.

http://www.toycollectors.com.au/pccc1.jpg

Then each with mixed Drones, on the left is the four I think would look best as Combaticons (blue Vortex, white Blast Off, plus a tank and jeep
for Brawl and Swindle), leaving the four on the right as an alternative combination.

http://www.toycollectors.com.au/pccc2.jpg

Next up are the three 2-pack Commander figures with alternative sets of Drones. (I kept the drones in their Combaticon and Aerialbot sets, so that
I only needed to take 2 photos of each)
From left - Huffer with Combaticons (a bit of a Menasor look), Searchlight with Aerialbots (a better Superion look than Skyburst because of the
winged chest-plate), Smolder with Combaticons.

http://www.toycollectors.com.au/pccc3.jpg

Skyburst with Combaticons, Huffer with Aerialbots, Searchlight with Combaticons.

http://www.toycollectors.com.au/pccc5.jpg

And Smolder with Aerialbot Drones.

http://www.toycollectors.com.au/pccc6.jpg

And for the ultimate Powerup, the 2-pack Commanders in Powerup (Combiner) mode WITH Minicon Armor.

http://www.toycollectors.com.au/pccc7.jpg

Zippo
23rd May 2010, 06:59 PM
Thanks griffin.
Shame about Huffer .. he was one I was considering getting, along with Bombshock pack. Pitty they are really robot mode only toys thanks to the pegs in just the wrong places.

FFN
23rd May 2010, 07:45 PM
With that combined mode head, methinks Huffer will be redecoed as Motormaster (though named Menasor for trademark reasons).

Autocon
23rd May 2010, 11:24 PM
you know i love this idea just wish the implementation waws better executed but they are learning every time!

the blue is for children? remmeber they are for kids!:p

Autocon
23rd May 2010, 11:34 PM
griff - i see u have all the drones in groupings. have u tried to mix n match the drones so areial with rally bots and not all of the one theme?

griffin
24th May 2010, 10:51 AM
Too many possible combinations to try to show what mix-n-matching looks like with each Commander. The only one I did was with Bombshock to give it a more Gen1 Combaticon look.

Gutsman Heavy
24th May 2010, 10:32 PM
Hmm, Huffer Motormaster redeco + rally bots = Menasor? Get on it hasbro!

kaiden
24th May 2010, 10:57 PM
they all look poorly designed to me.

like they're a bit drunk and having trouble standing up.

liegeprime
24th May 2010, 11:41 PM
Fatbot brought his Bombshock at the fair. I had a glimpse of the drones and their small as. Was quite surprised since they're gonna cost us $50 for the pack, erm thats some expensive drone:(. Ah well, Ill end up buying these anyways....sigh

griffin
25th May 2010, 11:15 AM
Most stores should be $40 or less, as most Toyworlds were $40, and I would expect Kmart and BigW would be closer to $35.

kurdt_the_goat
29th May 2010, 06:40 PM
I picked up a Huffer today, and have a ward of warning regarding Caliburst...

In moving from his packaged robot mode to 'vehicle weapon' mode.... on the first step no less, i snapped his head right off. The instructions certainly seem to indicate that his arms (when folded in) should be parallel to one another.. but it's clear afterwards that they should not be pushed in all the way since his head is sitting too far forward and hindering the arms.

Otherwise... While Huffer looks good in both modes, his transformation is too basic for this size (comparing to recent scouts). That said, i quite like the combiner head for regular mode, since folding down the smaller head fills the chest void. You can detach the gun part of caliburst, and attach it to Huffers arm, while using the rest of caliburst as the chest piece, which looks pretty cool.

griffin
29th May 2010, 08:04 PM
Re: basic transformation - maybe the recent scouts have been too complicated, and this is how the smaller, kid-friendly TFs should be like? Quick and fun to convert and play with others, without fiddling with interlocking parts and kibble.
I've always felt that the larger sized figures should be the 'puzzles', while the smaller figures (Scout and Deluxe) should be easy and fun to play with - and conversion is part of the play value. It's how us older fans grew up with Gen1 toys, which were simplistic enough to suck us into collecting more. The contemporary kid just isn't being sucked in the same way because these Movie toys are just too darn complex and frustrating for both kids and parents.

dirge
30th May 2010, 09:01 AM
I like Searchlight - the blue pegs work well enough with his blue & white scheme, but I can't say the blue pegs on the others are worth it to me - if I wanted Power Ranger Zords I'd buy Power Ranger Zords.

No matter, 1 from 5 is enough for me (:

GoktimusPrime
30th May 2010, 08:34 PM
I was playing with my Searchlight in public today (as ya do ;)) where I was making him "fly" with the sound effect of "roffle-roffle-roffle-roffle-roffle-roffle..." :) Henceforth Searchlight's combined vehicle form shall be known as the "ROFL-Copter" in the Gokiverse! :D

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/avatars/roflcopter.jpg