PDA

View Full Version : New Pictures of Animated Grimlock, Lugnut

STL
21st March 2008, 01:52 PM
Grimlock
http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showthread.php?t=170545

Lugnut, Ratchet, Blackarachnia
http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=6622

I can't wait. I was really looking forward to Ratchet but Lugnut is pretty awesome. The colours and proportions really work. I think Jaydisc might not like how the back portion becomes detacable though

These toys are going to be pretty damn cool..

Pipesqueak
21st March 2008, 01:58 PM
Ratchet is the pick of that bunch. I'll definitely get Grimlock but understand why people are annoyed about the lack of a chest cover, exposing the robot head in dino mode, and the fact that's he's so much shorter than voyager Prime. I'm undecided on Lugnut and will be leaving Black Arachnia for the Beast fans.

GoktimusPrime
21st March 2008, 03:27 PM
Heh, it's good to see that Pascal's attempting to improve his reviewing techniques despite his adamant claims (re: flame war) before that he didn't need to. His reviews are now very brief, but to the point and far more balanced than before; he is focusing on the actual strengths and weaknesses of the toys rather than just his emotional feelings about them. :)

Ratchet is the pick of that bunch.

I wonder if there's a storage place for his tools in vehicle mode. That was one neat thing with Armada and Cybertron Red Alert.

I'll definitely get Grimlock but understand why people are annoyed about the lack of a chest cover, exposing the robot head in dino mode, and the fact that's he's so much shorter than voyager Prime.
The size thing doesn't bother me - there's never been a Grimlock toy who's been larger than an Optimus of the same class.
+ 1985 Grimlock: much smaller toy than 1984 Prime - then again '84 Prime is nearly a playset with the combat deck/trailer component. But comparing Grimmie with the cab robot alone Prime is taller by 1cm.
+ Pretender Grimlock: The puniest of the Classic Pretenders!! Totally dwarfed by the Prime of the time, who was a Powermaster (the 2nd largest of the G1 Primes*).
+ Action Master Grimlock: basically the same size as all other Action Masters
+ G2 Grimlock: Same size ratio as w/ G1 '85 Grimmie vs '84 Prime
+ Beast Wars Grimlock: Deluxe - other than Basic bat Primal all Optimus Primals were above Deluxe size (Mega, Ultra, Super).
+ Energon Grimlock: same size as Deluxe Energon Prime and of course shorter than Mega Zord Prime :p
+ Binaltech (ALT) Grimlock: All BTs/ALTs are approx. the same size - although BT Grimmie is 3cm shorter than Alt Prime and is substantially smaller in vehicle mode (since a Ford Mustang would be smaller than a Dodge Ram :p)
+ Classics Grimlock is Deluxe whereas Classics Prime is Voyager.

I'm undecided on Lugnut and will be leaving Black Arachnia for the Beast fans.
I really like Blackarachnia - she's HAWT and I'd totally d--, collect her.

Lugnut seems decent enough :)

Ah heck, I know that I'm probably gonna become a character completist of this series now. ;p

*The largest G1 Prime is Star Convoy (29cm).

Soundwarp
21st March 2008, 05:39 PM
Man i wish i had kids to buy these toys for..........

GoktimusPrime
21st March 2008, 06:58 PM
I'm just gonna buy them for myself! :p

Robzy
21st March 2008, 08:26 PM
Yep! These look awesome. There's a few video reviews on youtube of both Ratchet and Blackarahnia and they look amazing!

Gutsman Heavy
22nd March 2008, 11:04 AM
Why cant these be in stores NOW!!

1orion2many
22nd March 2008, 04:27 PM
:confused:UUUmmmm are we looking at the same pictures:confused:. These look like my first Transformer with the sickingly disgusting colour combinations and the out of proportion bodies BLLLEEEAAAHHH:p. I unfortunately will be buying them but not because they are anything brilliant. :rolleyes:

Pipesqueak
22nd March 2008, 04:32 PM
The size thing doesn't bother me - there's never been a Grimlock toy who's been larger than an Optimus of the same class.

It doesn't really bother me too much either, not the direct comparison with Prime anyway. But both voyager Bulkhead and Grimlock leave themselves open to similar criticism that movie Blackout received, that they're deluxes posing as voyagers (unless voyager Prime is particularly tall). Again, doesn't really bother me if they're great toys, but in the case of Blackout, he was both a shortarse and a truly crap toy.

autobreadticon
22nd March 2008, 05:53 PM
lotta love, yeh yeh you will say yeh yeh :)

Tetsuwan Convoy
23rd March 2008, 01:12 PM
Man i wish i had kids to buy these toys for..........
If I had kids, I would have to buy them one and me one!:o:):D

Loving these animated figs to bits! Can't wait for them to rock up somewhere.

Definately looks as if there is a portion missing that covers the head though. Very strange....

griffin
28th March 2008, 03:05 PM
Some gallery links to the new Animated Grimlock toy:
http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/animated-8/another-high-quality-animated-grimlock-gallery-164512/

griffin
29th March 2008, 09:21 AM
And in packaging:
http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/animated-8/animated-grimlock-in-package-first-look-164522/

jaydisc
29th March 2008, 11:20 AM
I think these toys look utterly amazing. And Lugnut's axe isn't too bad... Not as bad as say Big Convoy/Nemesis Prime's trunk and back.

Color me super keen!

GoktimusPrime
29th March 2008, 02:57 PM
That just looks like Grimlock with a sword in his mouth. Not "A Removable Jet Of Fire Breath"
So true. It's such a lame gimmick. By contemporary standards I would absolutely expect that weapon to have some stowage area in dino mode.

Paulbot
29th March 2008, 03:28 PM
Flame breath is not much different from the engine exhaust missiles we saw in Cybertron and Classics.

autobreadticon
29th March 2008, 04:08 PM
transformers animated offical website has updated photos of wheeljack and oil slick, DAm the toys keep getting better and better

jaydisc
29th March 2008, 04:38 PM
transformers animated offical website has updated photos of wheeljack and oil slick, DAm the toys keep getting better and better

Where? I can't seem to find.

autobreadticon
29th March 2008, 04:55 PM
SPOILER WARNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!

oops i meant jazz, not wheeljack

http://www.transformersanimated.com/transformers-characters.php

just click on jazz and oil slick

jaydisc
29th March 2008, 11:03 PM
Gotchya, but FYI, that's not the "official" site (http://hasbro.com/transformers/animated/).

GoktimusPrime
30th March 2008, 08:09 AM
Flame breath is not much different from the engine exhaust missiles we saw in Cybertron and Classics.
In principle, no, in execution (IMO) yes.

With the flame exhausts it looks like flames shooting out of the exhaust in car mode. With Animated Grimlock it really just looks like Grimlock holding a flaming sword in his mouth. With the flame missiles, they are entirely translucent flames with a shaft lodging well inside the exhaust so it does reasonably look convincing in terms of coming out of the shaft. The problem with Grimlock's so-called flame breath is that it looks like Grimlock nibbling onto the bottom of the sword handle - the upper part of the handle and the hilt are clearly visible, as is the whole blade of the sword which isn't entirely translucent.

And fwiw I'm really not a huge fan of the flame missile-exhaust gimmick in the first place. To me it was always a barely passable gimmick. So to me it seems that HasTak have taken what was a pretty ordinary concept and made it worse. (-_-)

It's nice that they have tried to do something with the sword, but the results don't look very good to me. I would've prefered just having a stowage place for the weapon.

jaydisc
6th April 2008, 11:29 AM
I wonder if there's a storage place for his tools in vehicle mode. That was one neat thing with Armada and Cybertron Red Alert.

I just watched Peaugh's video review (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyk264I1nFg) and someone asked that exact question in the comments. Unfortunately, his response was:

No, his arms take up all the room in the rear

Dang, that woulda been cool.

GoktimusPrime
6th April 2008, 02:42 PM
That really sucks. By post-G2 standards having accessories that have no place to go in vehicle mode is really poor. :(