PDA

View Full Version : Should i sell my Custom Black Zarak

rampagesss
28th May 2010, 03:24 PM
I logged on to TFW2005 today to find i had 3 PM's all 3 people asked if i would sell them my Black Zarak custom
http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=6107
Or could i make them one. At first i thought hell no it took ages to make and i love him! but then again depending on how much i could get for him, i could always make another or even buy a real one.

To those members who sell custom transformers do you find it worth it? and do you think i should?

kup
28th May 2010, 03:29 PM
I logged on to TFW2005 today to find i had 3 PM's all 3 people asked if i would sell them my Black Zarak custom
http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=6107
Or could i make them one. At first i thought hell no it took ages to make and i love him! but then again depending on how much i could get for him, i could always make another or even buy a real one.

To those members who sell custom transformers do you find it worth it? and do you think i should?

If it means that much to you then don't sell it. You may regret it later as it is a lot of effort to make a new one.

However if you do want to sell it - How much? :p

5FDP
28th May 2010, 04:04 PM
I wouldn't. I think you would regret it.

heroic_decepticon
28th May 2010, 04:04 PM
Black Zarak is all the rage on TFW2005 now, thanks to this thread "G1 Holy Grail Owners discussion group" and the private invite only group that was spawned from the thread "G1 Holy Grail Owners".

There's lots of discussion in the "G1 Holy Grail Owners" group about Black Zarak and there are about 2 or 3 "grail owners" actively and fiercely looking for one. And because the group members are getting slightly competitive (my impression anyway), many just want a Black Zarak. There are already at least 3 members who've whipped out their Battle Gaia giftset and one that whipped out Guard City giftset... so its an uphill battle that cannot be won by having just one grail! hahahaha. :p

On another note, I have been speaking with Rampagess and Bruticus in relation to Black Zarak (heehee, update soon, I promise) and Bruticus worked out for me that a custom Black Zarak would cost approximately $700 to $800. I'll let him say more when he sees this thread, but I believe that to be an accurate estimate in today's market conditions, and the general value that even a complete Scorponok is going for. I remember someone selling a complete Scorponok for AU$400 here awhile back.

To put that in perspective, I've seen MIB BZs on eBay going for US$2000 to even a high US$3200 (I did a search of past threads where Rampagess cites BZ eBay auctions). Personally, I know that KSGJ03 sold one last year for US$2500 (shield tab broken) and one more earlier this year for US$1122 (but missing a few parts and broken). There is one on eBay now with a BIN of US$683 (thereabouts), but its missing all the key important bits.

Back on the question whether you should sell. I'd say no if I were you. I get sentimental on stuff even if I've just done things like removing all the stickers, giving it a general clean and reapplying all the stickers accurately. So I'm probably not the best person to answer this question.

An accurate answer would come from customisers who customise and then sell their products on a regular or semi-regular basis.

Sky Shadow
28th May 2010, 05:52 PM
If you can sell him for sufficiently more than he's worth to you and more than it cost you in time and materials, then why not? The great thing about your one is that it's one of the few times that a custom has an advantage over a vintage toy: yours doesn't suffer from Gold Plastic Syndrome.

Ode to a Grasshopper
28th May 2010, 05:55 PM
I'm not a customizer (am eventually going to get into repainting myself), but I'd say don't sell it (sentimental value) but you have the skillz so you might as well try your hand at doing a few customs for profit.

loophole
28th May 2010, 11:21 PM
dont sell it you'll regret it later on and you might even think about making another for yourself if you did sell it but then you might not finish it because you know how much work goes into one which can demoralize you from the beginnig of the project

Deonasis
28th May 2010, 11:30 PM
I'd say don't sell because you did a very hard but excellent job and you'd miss it one day. But.. if it was fun, make another 1 to sell; try an eBay auction with a reserve to cover your initial costs. This might not be a goal of yours, but a top-notch custom and a few interested buyers will increase your customising fame/price.

liegeprime
28th May 2010, 11:39 PM
Your custom one is better than the original as far as Ive seen. no GPS and that effort for that gold chroming and sourcing for a custom head and trident to match is perfect, its just way better. I say no.

optimus1
28th May 2010, 11:52 PM
My verdict is no :)

I know at the end of the day it is a custom, but no genuine Black Zarak plastics can withstand the rigours of the original Scorponok!
Your time and effort put into this project can not be underestimated.

If I did this, I would not sell it off for any price (unless it was for a MISB Black Zarak to take its place :D)