29th May 2010, 05:52 PM
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m205/de3dz/IMG_3147.jpg
Review - Transformers Generation Drift

Series - Transformers Generation

Size - Deluxe

New/remould/redeco - New

Wave - Wave 1; including Cyb Bumblebee, Cyb Optimus Prime, And Gen. Thrust

Released here - Unknown

Approximate Retail Price - Still unknown...got mine from a mate in Singapore paid $15 Shipped loose

Approximate Size - Approx. 16 cm / 140 mm

Allegiance - Autobots

Alt-mode - Some sort of Japanese Drift Racing Car

Main Features/Gimmicks - Two small sword that can be withdrawn from his hips which is basically car doors in vehicle mode; and the long one which can be stored from his back on robot mode

Main Colours - Mainly white / vanilla colour

Main Accessories - Two small swords and one long one

My Difficulty rating (out of 5) - 3

Stability - A very sturdy and well sculpted mode and very detailed a very good representation of the comic book character

Poseability/articulation - Excellent posability and articulation

Playability - Very durable

My Thoughts - A quite impressive toy; robotmode is A+ for me, not to mention you can actually put him on a stand (Marvel Legend Stands). Vehicle mode is ok but slightly bigger than your normal deluxe sizes (Classics/Henkeis)

Overall Recommendation Rating (out of 10) - 9.5

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m205/de3dz/IMG_3162.jpg
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m205/de3dz/IMG_3163.jpg
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m205/de3dz/IMG_3164.jpg
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m205/de3dz/IMG_3165.jpg
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m205/de3dz/IMG_3166.jpg
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m205/de3dz/IMG_3168.jpg
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m205/de3dz/IMG_3169.jpg
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m205/de3dz/IMG_3170.jpg
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m205/de3dz/IMG_3171.jpg
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m205/de3dz/IMG_3172.jpg
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m205/de3dz/IMG_3174.jpg
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m205/de3dz/IMG_3167.jpg

SilverDragon
29th May 2010, 06:39 PM
Much as I dislike Drift, I have to say he looks cool as a toy.

5FDP
30th May 2010, 01:16 PM
I got to stay away from these reviews... it makes me wanna buy figures that I would have otherwise passed on thus spending more money :(

Great review and pics (as always) Deceptic_Optic :)

lcz128
30th May 2010, 08:52 PM
totallllyyyy want this heaps! :D

GoktimusPrime
30th May 2010, 09:36 PM
It does look like a neat toy. I can't wait to get one and start bagging out the character in Photocomics. :D

SMHFConvoy
30th May 2010, 10:06 PM
I saw this in person on Saturday morning and I have to say that it's a very cool figure. A figure worth considering. Hopefully the Blurr fig will at least gets a new head :)

griffin
31st May 2010, 02:56 PM
Nice pics.
A lot better than Hasbro's 'stock photos'...

http://www.toycollectors.com.au/tftoys/gen04.jpg

The shoulder area looks a bit awkward/chunky. For someone who is meant to be stealthy and sleek (especially Blurr if the redeco rumour is true), the robot form looks to have suffered to get the car mode looking its best. (even still, the car form doesn't appeal to me much either, as I was expecting him to have a sleeker, racey, dynamic look)
I'd expect someone with a Sword/blade motif, would have a 'sharp', 'blade' esthetic (look) to both their modes.

GoktimusPrime
31st May 2010, 07:23 PM
The shoulder area looks a bit awkward/chunky. For someone who is meant to be stealthy and sleek

Cos white and bright red totally work for stealth and don't paint him as a target. :p

But we all know that Drift's stealth abilities are so good that he can afford to sneak around in those colours. In fact, he could be standing right in front of you with strobe lights flashing and not get noticed... much like the TARDIS' peripheral filter, only that Drift achieves this through sheer awesomeness!

Deonasis
31st May 2010, 11:37 PM
He is so not worth it. Give him to me. :p

SharkyMcShark
4th June 2010, 01:17 AM
Got him today. He's actually really good but he feels almost too large. That and he's arms are a bit weedy compared to his legs (his shins and feet are literally the entire back half of the car).

Outside of aesthetics his feet annoy me - they're immobile and the only lower leg movement you're getting is from a transformation joint that collapses his feet into his shins.

Volume wise that's a lot of whining compared to how much I actually like the figure. It's really good. Get it.

That said if you're on the fence wait for images of Blurr (I'm really hoping that they get rid of the swords entirely for Blurr - I'm not that much a fan of Transformers with swords)

PascTF
4th June 2010, 01:21 AM
Liking the mold more and more... I wonder if Takara will serve us a Henkei version (or something similar) later down the road?

Deceptic_Optic
4th June 2010, 04:04 AM
Got him today. He's actually really good but he feels almost too large. That and he's arms are a bit weedy compared to his legs (his shins and feet are literally the entire back half of the car).

Outside of aesthetics his feet annoy me - they're immobile and the only lower leg movement you're getting is from a transformation joint that collapses his feet into his shins.

Volume wise that's a lot of whining compared to how much I actually like the figure. It's really good. Get it.

That said if you're on the fence wait for images of Blurr (I'm really hoping that they get rid of the swords entirely for Blurr - I'm not that much a fan of Transformers with swords)

he'll grow on you keep playing with him more :D

Lint
4th June 2010, 09:22 PM
Drift is a solid toy, great QC in terms of everything fitting together, tight joints, rolling on all four wheels, quality of plastic, plastic molding and quality of paint applications. Theres no spots which are painfully missing paint decos and the only possible cringe application is the rear window which is metallic sky blue. (I think it looks quite nice compared to pastel blue universe ironhide)

Unless I have a freakishly well finished toy, I think the vietnamese are good at manufacturing transformers!

Designwise I like Drift. His alt mode is nowhere near as bad as I expected, the transformation was adequately satisfying and I was not dissapointed with the robot mode articulation. He is out of scale compared to other car deluxes, but who really wants Drift to stand as tall as tom cruise just so he can blend into a convoy? (don't answer that :p)

I'm also a sucker for TF's with swords. He has three of them.

5FDP
4th June 2010, 09:46 PM
Unless I have a freakishly well finished toy, I think the vietnamese are good at manufacturing transformers!

Dude... it's Drift. He is perfection :cool:

Stompy
4th June 2010, 11:43 PM
My thoughts on Drift isn't as positive as everyones above.

Alt mode looks great if ruined by the 3 main seams on the bonnett, but the rest of it looks ace, especially the colourscheme with the use of the light blue windshields. Not much playability in this mode besides rolling wheels but all 3 swords can be stored inside the vehicle.

Conversion is typical Classics/Universe. Not complex but not simple neither. With saying that it really isn't anything new from what I have encountered before in previous lines for a typical sports car TF.

The robot mode is what ruined it for me. While the idea of the 2 smaller swords having the side doors as sheaths I just felt like there wasn't enough work put into the robot mode. The legs are nice and chunky and one of the big positives but the arms are uninspired. The ridiculously large shoulders just feels like lazy engineering and gets in the way of great poses. Also since the shoulders are on a dual ball joint and the arm able to swivel upward separately, it makes some awkward/unnatural looking arm poses at times. Considering sword weilding requires some fancy arm poses, this was a bit of a let down for me. Perhaps my biggest gripe is the weedy looking torso. With just the windshield forming a chest, it's way too small compared to gigantic shoulders, head, sheaths/sideskirts and legs.

Overall robot mode is a tad too kibbly and boorish for me. Having 3 swords make for awesome play value and a pretty nice alt mode just saves this for me. It's a real pity that I didn't like robot mode considering sword weilders have potential to look very flashy. I'm guessing I'm in the minority here with Drift.

STL
5th June 2010, 10:15 AM
I'm very positive on this one. I think the alt mode is strong but take away a few points for the bonnet where you can see the turning points to fold those panels. I think the colours are rich and Hasbro has definitely not shirked on us here.

Transformation, very Classics-esque as Stompy says. I think it's particularly elegant a transformation. Everything flows very nicely and in sequence. But yes, it can be somewhat simple on the legs which to me was probably the only negative. The legs are just one big piece at the back and that's a slight disappointment given how far we've come. But it's a minor gripe.

Robot mode is where this thing shines. Great articulation, the only key one missing being the waist articulation. I do find the shoulders to be abit annoying at times because they inhibit the ability to raise his arms to the side such that they are parallel to the ground. His entire aesthetic is wonderfully captured and he has plenty of character. Add the weapons and he is one hell of a toy. I wouldn't place him in the same league as a WFC Prime but he ranks up their in Classics b/c he captures so much character in his design.

And looking at this figure, I'm not sure how much Takara could top this. Most of it is already there. Maybe chrome weapons but that's about it, I'd say. Fine effort and definitely worthy of addition to the Classics line. Blurr will be a blast.

liegeprime
5th June 2010, 10:24 AM
Blurr better be better!!:D

Erm what do you mean STL with the colours being rich? Its mostly white with just some red accents here and there?

Voted definite get. Care not much for the character but the toy I think is very nice. Still need to buy one though, Im too lazy to go out tobuy one when its rainy..... Im sure it wont run out yet anyways.

STL
5th June 2010, 10:39 AM
Erm what do you mean STL with the colours being rich? Its mostly white with just some red accents here and there?

As in not the grimy whites/grays or reds you have say like with Classics Prowl or Sunstreaker/Prime (gray on legs). The dark gray for the arms and legs are very strong and vibrant as are the gold on the sword, upper arms and crotch.

kup
5th June 2010, 04:57 PM
Drift is actually a pretty impressive toy.

Although the character has the 'Love to hate' thing about him, the toy is superbly designed and the paint apps are stand outs despite the dominating white which is actually of a solid color with a nice shine to it.

Drift's robot mode is very posable despite his giant boots and the swords offer lots of play value given his super arms articulation.

In regards to the Transformation, it is more reminiscent to the engineering we saw in Classics/Universe but with a bit of Binaltech inspiration thrown in. In essence, its a simple but effecting transformation and fun which is what counts.

Overall this is a superb toy and certainly much more than the character deserves :). It is up there among the best Universe/Classics molds and his paint job is excellent which is a very welcomed change for Hasbro.

I can't wait for the Blurr repaint.

foor
5th June 2010, 05:15 PM
I definitely need to get one. I never expected Drift to even be made outside of fankits, being a new IDW character and all. The more unique characters the better, instead of the millionth repaint of Bee and Prime....

VERT
5th June 2010, 05:20 PM
Picked him up today (Put the other three on Lay bye) Was not sure about him but once I transformed him he has to be one of the best deluxe figures in years. Good large solid figure with great looking alt mode and Bot mode. :D:D

Deceptic_Optic
5th June 2010, 05:23 PM
...i knew everyone would give in with drift...lol

kup
5th June 2010, 06:10 PM
...i knew everyone would give in with drift...lol

I think he has become the new Wheelie for the 21st Century :)

Everybody hates and rants about how crap he is (possibly for decades to come) but still consume everything there is about him :o

Well somebody had to take Wheelie's place since he became cool after his Spotlight ;)

Bartrim
5th June 2010, 07:16 PM
I think he has become the new Wheelie for the 21st Century :)

Everybody hates and rants about how crap he is (possibly for decades to come) but still consume everything there is about him :o

Well somebody had to take Wheelie's place since he became cool after his Spotlight ;)

Not everybody kup;)

kup
5th June 2010, 07:26 PM
Not everybody kup;)

About Drift or Wheelie? :p

MV75
5th June 2010, 09:56 PM
And looking at this figure, I'm not sure how much Takara could top this. Most of it is already there. Maybe chrome weapons but that's about it, I'd say. Fine effort and definitely worthy of addition to the Classics line. Blurr will be a blast.

Chrome wing, chrome roof air vent, Dr1ft numberplate, chrome exhausts, etc.

I'm still not buying this one because I still don't know who Drift is.

For everyone else, it'll sell well because it's a car and comes with swords. The kids will eat this toy alive. :)

This mould would have been pretty good at runamuck and runabout.

5FDP
5th June 2010, 10:01 PM

I'd have to agree with you on that one.

GoktimusPrime
5th June 2010, 10:27 PM
My Drift came with two right hands!! (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showpost.php?p=170981&postcount=7) :mad: :(

So somewhere out there must be a Drift with two left hands! ;)

jaydisc
5th June 2010, 10:31 PM

+2. I'll wait for Blurr.

GoktimusPrime
5th June 2010, 10:42 PM

Heh. I'm planning on making a photocomic that will explain Drift's 1980s G1 origins. ;) :D :p

liegeprime
5th June 2010, 11:23 PM

For everyone else, it'll sell well because it's a car and comes with swords. The kids will eat this toy alive. :)

Lets hope not literally:p:D otherwise Tfs might get canned and its all Drift's fault:eek::eek::eek: not the stupid kids who seem to not understand the difference between food and not food :p.

Having just recently bought the piece , it is a nice figure, and yeah the shoulders tend to get in the way of am movements, I find the foot just resting there a weak point for it as well - am I missing something or does it lock onto place anywhere?

Addit - does anybody know what that kanji on the doors mean? IS it even really a Chinese/ Jap character or just some made up scribble made to look like Kanji?

kup
6th June 2010, 12:49 AM
I think its Cybertronian made to look like Kanji. Can anyone confirm?

Lint
6th June 2010, 12:56 AM
I remember reading somewhere that the kanji was sposed to translate as 'samurai'

Vector Prime
6th June 2010, 01:36 AM
Addit - does anybody know what that kanji on the doors mean? IS it even really a Chinese/ Jap character or just some made up scribble made to look like Kanji?

I remember reading somewhere that the kanji was sposed to translate as 'samurai'

Correct - as stated on TFWiki (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Drift_(G1)#Generations), the writing on the doors translates as "samurai" whereas the writing on his main sword says "tenka musō" which translates as "peerless under heaven" :confused:

Kyle
6th June 2010, 01:38 AM
TFWiki (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Drift_(G1)#Generations) is accurate:

While Drift's Earth mode designs showed him sporting the katakana ドリフト ("drift") on his car doors, the toy instead sports the kanji 侍 ("samurai"). The large sword sports the kanji 天下無双 (tenka musō, "peerless under heaven"

I think its Cybertronian made to look like Kanji. Can anyone confirm?

They are just typical Chinese/Japanese texts. The "fonts" don't look Cybertronian at all if you are used to reading Chinese/Japanese.

Tiby
6th June 2010, 01:15 PM
I don't know anything about Drift as a character. I did get an overhyped feel about him though, like Boba Fett in Star Wars or (dare I say it) the attempts to make a backstory to make Grimlock more interesting and more than he actually is.

However, being a new mould meant I got him. If he was a repaint of something else I would have thought twice.

VERT
6th June 2010, 01:36 PM
Yeah I dont know a thing about the character. Dont read the IDW comics. I just love the toy. :D

Pipesqueak
6th June 2010, 02:20 PM
Well worth buying overall. But as per DO's pics above, the front parts of the car not joining together very well annoys me.

GoktimusPrime
6th June 2010, 06:38 PM
I don't know anything about Drift as a character.

Yeah I dont know a thing about the character.
Ignorance is bliss. ;)

I did get an overhyped feel about him though, like Boba Fett in Star Wars or (dare I say it) the attempts to make a backstory to make Grimlock more interesting and more than he actually is.
Boba Fett x Mara Jade Skywalker x Wolverine x Superman x Chuck Norris. ;)

GoktimusPrime
6th June 2010, 09:05 PM
Btw, just confirming that the Kanji on the doors is indeed the word "Samurai" (侍) - and as Kyle said, there's nothing terribly "Cybertronian" about the font. The font is based on Shodou (brush calligraphy) and looks a lot like this (http://blog.samuraivirtualtours.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/03/samurai600.jpg).

This image (http://blog.samuraivirtualtours.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/03/samurai600.jpg) shows Drift with the "Drift" Katakana on the doors. I dunno if this is a concept/prototype image for the toy or character model (Earth mode) or what. But anyway, the actual Generations toy itself uses the 'Samurai' Kanji.

Vector Prime
6th June 2010, 09:27 PM
Well after acquiring all 4 of the Generations Wave 1 releases yesterday, I finally had a chance to open them up this evening.

Drift was the first one I opened since I liked how he looked based on the pics I've seen of him... plus I love the idea of robots wielding swords and this guy comes with 3 of them!

Like those that have commented before me, I think his shoulder area needs a bit of work and he is quite disproportionate - that is, he is chunky in the lower limbs and somewhat lacking in bulk up top, especially in the chest area.

Overall though, I think he's quite a cool mold and I'm very happy with him.

Not quite on the ROTF Bludgeon or Brawn level of awesomeness, but better than say the Universe Prowl/Smokescreen/Streak mold.

8 out of 10 in my books.

liegeprime
7th June 2010, 12:04 AM
Peerless under heaven - can be interpreted in many ways -
good way= invincible, pure awesomesauce, Chuck Norris to the nth degree;)
bad way = outcast or a consumnate idiot:p

The way Drifts rep is with fans "peerless under heaven" = modern day wheelie :p:D

I like how they have those kanji "rune" scribbles on the sword, reminds me of the sword in Crouching Tiger , Hidden Dragon

GoktimusPrime
7th June 2010, 10:57 AM
'musou' means peerless or matchless - i.e. without equal. It doesn't translate as "friendless." "Peerless under heaven" means that there is nothing other than the Gods who can stand against Drift.

The way Drifts rep is with fans "peerless under heaven" = modern day wheelie
I don't know if it's really comparable. Wheelie is widely hated because:
1/ It's a crap toy.
2/ His canonical appearance, particularly in the cartoon, was mostly a pointless distraction which little significant contribution to canon (if any). It's for the same reason that Jar Jar Binks is widely disliked by Star Wars fans, only that Jar Jar is a LOT more canonically useful than Wheelie!

Drift's toy is decent (the shoulder kibble kinda get in the way of him moving his arms above his shoulders/head a bit though) and his contention in canon isn't about a lack of contribution... but the way that many people view him as a "Gary Stu" like Power Munchkin ubergod. Much like Boba Fett or Wolverine -- only that those characters have existed since the early part of their respective franchises, whereas Drift... as MV75 aptly put it; who the hell is this guy??

He's a lot like some fanfic or RPG munchkin character that fanboys make and fap over because they're "nigh invulnerable" and undefeatable, running around in a permanent state of G0d m0d3. ;)

Lint
7th June 2010, 11:28 AM
This image (http://blog.samuraivirtualtours.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/03/samurai600.jpg) shows Drift with the "Drift" Katakana on the doors. I dunno if this is a concept/prototype image for the toy or character model (Earth mode) or what. But anyway, the actual Generations toy itself uses the 'Samurai' Kanji.

No it doesn't, I want my DORIFUTO! :p

FFN
7th June 2010, 05:59 PM
If there's a weakness with toy Drift's design (and it's probably partly to do with Guido's original design which, being based on G1 Boss, didn't take into account articulation), it's his limited shoulder articulation.

I narrowed toy Drift's car mode down to a genericised Mitsubishi FTO (the comic model used a Nissan Silvia), mainly because of how the vehicle looks from the side and the back.

SharkyMcShark
7th June 2010, 07:54 PM
It was a faux Skyline GT (the model before the one currently used as Alternity OP) in the one appearance it got in the comics (on a cover none the less)

STL
7th June 2010, 11:41 PM
If there's a weakness with toy Drift's design (and it's probably partly to do with Guido's original design which, being based on G1 Boss, didn't take into account articulation), it's his limited shoulder articulation.

Drift as Boss? Botcon idea!

Flash = GF Autovolt/Crosswise
Scorch = GF Inch Up/Dirt Boss
Hurricane = Henkei Mirage

kaiden
8th June 2010, 07:25 PM
i really like his legs. they're what i wished henkei sideswipe/sunstreaker had.

i_amtrunks
17th June 2010, 09:56 AM
Nice transformation, not a big fan of the feet though, and I cant seem to get the sword sheaths/doors into a good position.

Pretty awesome toy otherwise, and the two extra short swords are a great idea, and well hidden.

GoktimusPrime
17th June 2010, 12:01 PM
i really like his legs. they're what i wished henkei sideswipe/sunstreaker had.

I prefer sideswipe/sunstreaker's legs. Two things I don't like about Drift's legs:
1/ Too chunky - get in the way of some dynamic leg action. Last night I had Drift fighting Smoulder, and I tried to get him to do some leg trapping, but t'was impossible cos they're so chunky
2/ The feet/shins don't lock in tightly, so they keep slipping out during play.

Nice transformation, not a big fan of the feet though, and I cant seem to get the sword sheaths/doors into a good position.
I position them as far down as possible. Works well and usually don't get in the way during fights. :)

Pretty awesome toy otherwise, and the two extra short swords are a great idea, and well hidden.
One cool trick Deceptic_Optic showed me is to open one of the car windows a little bit and slide the big sword in there. It fits pretty well and works as a makeshift sheath! I don't do it too often cos I don't wanna wear out the joints on those windows too much (bad enough I'm wearing out every other joint from playing with this toy so much :p). But yeah, it lets you pose Drift with two swords in one sheath which looks more Samuraiesque. :D

bassbot
18th June 2010, 12:46 PM
argh, can't wait to get this, some awesome pics you guys posted here! ta

kup
18th June 2010, 01:15 PM
I just noticed that the toy has more of a BW Tigatron face than comic Drift.

Ingram
2nd July 2010, 03:15 PM
I've had Drift for a day now. My thoughts are that he's not as cool in person as what he seemed in the pictures. He's pretty clunky and doesn't offer much in the way of poses. His legs have to be straight and sometimes he cant decide which is his dominant foot.

For now I have him posed like this:

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d126/Lord-Ingram/Drift.jpg

Definitely better quality and appearance than WFC Optimus, but Optimus wins in the poses category.

Sharky
2nd July 2010, 03:19 PM
i dont like his head to much, i thought it could of been a tad better looking .

Ingram
2nd July 2010, 03:34 PM
Oh yea, his head only goes forward and back. No turning sideways like Optimus WFC. Optimus pretty much has unlimited range of movement with his head.

Grievous
18th July 2010, 08:53 PM
Drift is a win...in both modes and the 3 swords are great.
The legs are a little "blocky" but apart from that...10/10.

SamLoi888
19th July 2010, 03:49 PM
The two small swords are more like machetes and should be called such.
You wouldn't make a movie about karate and put kung-fu in the title would you?

:D

Ingram
20th July 2010, 01:39 PM
I'm not feeling this toy so much lately. I think because I don't read the comics so I don't know the character.

Maybe I will sell him off. Should be easy enough since I kept the packaging and he's only been transformed once and been on display since.

GoktimusPrime
20th July 2010, 01:53 PM
I'm not feeling this toy so much lately. I think because I don't read the comics so I don't know the character.

Ignorance is bliss my friend. :)

P.S.: (OT) is your handle a reference to Mobile Police Patlabor, or to the submachinegun? (or something else altogether?) ;)

Ingram
20th July 2010, 02:05 PM
Ignorance is bliss my friend. :)

P.S.: (OT) is your handle a reference to Mobile Police Patlabor, or to the submachinegun? (or something else altogether?) ;)

Nothing really. I just used the name and later found out it was the name of a gun lol.

As for Drift, I know he's a bit controversial. But I actually think the root of my issues with the toy is that it's very stiff and isn't very poseable which is mainly why I like these things in the first place.

1AZRAEL1
21st July 2010, 09:08 AM
Oh yea, his head only goes forward and back. No turning sideways like Optimus WFC. Optimus pretty much has unlimited range of movement with his head.

His head can turn side to side.

lcz128
21st July 2010, 03:30 PM
Nothing really. I just used the name and later found out it was the name of a gun lol.

As for Drift, I know he's a bit controversial. But I actually think the root of my issues with the toy is that it's very stiff and isn't very poseable which is mainly why I like these things in the first place.

Mate, maybe u just need some inspiration:
http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=7854

:D

Hursticon
12th November 2010, 12:53 PM
Just thought I'd post Youtube personality Vange1us' review of Generations: Drift (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KE5wGi5jnRI), that he has just recently done.
As normal, a very entertaining yet in depth review by this bloke. :cool: