Toy Review - Smolder w/ Chopster

Series - Power Core Combiners
Sub-line - 2-pack
Size - Commander w/ Minicon
New/remould/redeco - New
Wave - 1
Released here - May 2010
Approximate Retail Price - $15-20
Approximate Size - 10cm (Smolder), 5cm (Chopster)
Allegiance - Decepticon
Alt-mode - Fire Rescue vehicle (Smolder), axe/gun/chest-plate (Chopster)
Main Features/Gimmicks - Combiner core (Smolder), weapon/armour (Chopster)
Main Colours - red/black (Smolder), orange/black (Chopster)
Main Accessories - none (Chopster is the accessory)
My Difficulty rating (out of 5) - 2
Stability - good in all modes (Smolder), not so good (Chopster)
Poseability/articulation - Good for both, considering Smolder is the size of a Scout, and Chopster is a Minicon with four modes.
Playability - On its own, play is good as both modes work well and is easy to convert. But with other PCCs, specifically the 5-packs, this toy has extra play value. Although, without drones, the Powerup mode is essentially unusable, wasting a third of this toy if it is the only PCC you buy.
Other Comments - I like the vehicle mode of this one, and it uses the theme of Movie Barricade (Decepticons pretending to be trusted emergency vehicles). Transformation is easy enough to guess, and looks decent in both modes without excessive kibble/deformaties. The Combiner mode (Powerup Mode) is a bit too top-heavy and hunchbacked, and actually looks to be the worst of the first three 2-packs.
The Minicon Chopster is a bit lame, but to be expected for a quad-former. It reminds me of the Gen1 pretenders, with no real alt mode other than what you're told it is (especially if it's lost its accessories). As such, Chopster doesn't really pull off any of its 3 alt-modes, due to skinny limbs that don't interlock, leaving lots of gaps in each mode.
It's meant to be a robot, an axe, a gun, and a chest shield - all based on how you position the legs and arms, but the only thing really making it an axe or a gun is the blades on the legs and the gun-barrel.
Now for the blue pegs - I just don't know why they coloured them bright blue. They spoil the look of every toy in this line so far, and more so on this red one.
They don't need to be made obvious (these aren't big toys with hidden parts and compartments), as every toy has the pegs openly visible. Often in both modes. There is just no where to hide them, to need them coloured so brightly.
Out of the 2 first wave Drone sets, Smolder looks better (to me) with the Aerialbots, as they are just as colourful. The Combaticon drones are a dull colour scheme, making Smolder look out of place in the core.
Pics of the combinations can be seen here (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=7735).

My Rating (out of 10) - 7.5

http://www.toycollectors.com.au/tftoys/pcc03.jpg

GoktimusPrime
31st May 2010, 06:28 PM
I like this toy. :) I agree that the blues hurt though. :( I prefer Chopster over Backwind though.

Deonasis
31st May 2010, 10:36 PM
I like the flaming decepticon logo on the side of the truck. Also, the combiner head looks cool but I wish his combiner mode shoulders didn't look so painful :(

GoktimusPrime
1st June 2010, 10:18 AM
I like the flaming decepticon logo on the side of the truck
+1. I also find it interesting to see a Decepticon as an emergency vehicle, which are more traditionally used as Autobot alt modes. :)

Decepticon
1st June 2010, 03:30 PM
Got this yesterday. He is ok. Dont like the back of the truck in truck mode.....too messy. And that head just screams Darth Vader helmet!!

GoktimusPrime
2nd June 2010, 07:41 PM
I thought the head was more like G1 Inferno w/ a samurai theme.

i_amtrunks
4th June 2010, 04:47 PM
Dont like the commander head, and the transformation is too simple, but otherwise, a fairly solid toy.

SMHFConvoy
4th June 2010, 06:01 PM
I liked this guy from the first time photos were released. Yeah the blue takes away from the overall figure. I think blue is Hasbro's "power" colour. I do wonder if this is just a one off thing or if there will be larger figures that combine with the scouts to power up....

GoktimusPrime
4th June 2010, 06:44 PM
the transformation is too simple, but otherwise, a fairly solid toy.

I find the transformation to be simple but nice. :)

tinyJazz
6th June 2010, 02:40 AM
What? Chopster's alt modes are fantastic! Just... use your imagination? :/
The fact that I'm totally avoiding the drones for this line is not going to stop me enjoying this toy. Combiner mode helmet? more like Super heat-resistant melee combat helmet! Blue combiner joints? more like, robot hernias... or something.

And that head just screams Darth Vader helmet!!

I thought the head was more like G1 Inferno w/ a samurai theme.

uhh, clearly it's meant to be a fireman's helmet. :rolleyes:

Incidentally, PCC is shorthand for Passionfruit Cheesecake at my work :p

Tiby
6th June 2010, 12:03 PM
The blue is a fact of life for these figures to make it easy for the kiddies to work out where the power up bits connect to. I have just made the decision to live with them. They are far less intrusive than the ridiculous systems employed in Energon: oversized boots, additional and obvious fists, teeny heads, etc.

GoktimusPrime
6th June 2010, 12:38 PM
The blue is a fact of life for these figures to make it easy for the kiddies to work out where the power up bits connect to.
As I said before, the Scramble Power gestalts from G1 had black universal connectors when we were kids. As Michael McConnohie once said, kids are a lot smarter than adults often give them credit for and often hate being spoken down to.

Either that, or maybe kids are getting dumber these days. I blame teachers. Yep. :p

Tiby
6th June 2010, 12:56 PM
As I said before, the Scramble Power gestalts from G1 had black universal connectors when we were kids. As Michael McConnohie once said, kids are a lot smarter than adults often give them credit for and often hate being spoken down to.

Either that, or maybe kids are getting dumber these days. I blame teachers. Yep. :p

I'm not saying I agree with the need for blue parts, especially when these toys are all Ages 5+ now, but contemporary design, movies, shows, songs, etc, are all based on the lowest common denominator. Sadly, this need for not making anything a challenge means that the primary original purpose of toys, education, is lost.

Finding the right black or grey peg would train hand-eye coordination and problem solving skills, but the manufacturers obviously dread a parent seeing a child get frustrated by a toy and not buy any more of that style.

Gok, I blame parents who want to make sure their kids' lives are "better" than their own chidlhood was, when in fact there was nothing wrong with their childhood to start with (excepting abuse, etc, of course).

PascTF
4th July 2010, 12:27 PM
3 solid modes, very good Minicon too, my favorite of the 3 so far.

snazzbot 101
4th July 2010, 03:48 PM
I'm not a fan of the Allspark Blue myself - though it's definitely not a deal killer here - but the very idea that it was chosen because modern kids are morons is ridiculous. Year after year we've seen figures released that feature complex transformations and advanced engineering.

Leader Class ROTF Prime was not designed with simplicity in mind.

To me giving the connectors a uniform color - and in the Transformer's Power-up shade of choice no less - is a way of readily showcasing that they all share the same gimmick. Surely it makes sense to visually reinforce this given every Basic can combine with Drones but not all Basics are sold with Drones. It's particularly important since the line wont be supported by a show and it is in "competition" with other TF lines (which will too feature Basics, but Basics that don't combine).

GoktimusPrime
4th July 2010, 11:00 PM
but the very idea that it was chosen because modern kids are morons is ridiculous.
Perhaps it was a moronic test group. :p

To me giving the connectors a uniform color - and in the Transformer's Power-up shade of choice no less - is a way of readily showcasing that they all share the same gimmick.
But why this bright baby blue?? Why not a dark navy or cobalt blue or black. Black goes with anything (goes particularly well with obsidian).

Surely it makes sense to visually reinforce this given every Basic can combine with Drones but not all Basics are sold with Drones.
The G1 "Scramble" gestalt leaders were all sold separately from the limb robots here. Australia never got the gift sets that were sold in other countries. Yet everyone pretty much knew that they were all cross compatible.

It's particularly important since the line wont be supported by a show and it is in "competition" with other TF lines (which will too feature Basics, but Basics that don't combine).
Again, I was already playing with the Scramble gestalts cross-compatability feature before I saw them appear in the comics and cartoon. And in fact, the Anglophone canon never really showcased the cross-compatability gimmick unlike Japan's Scramble City OVA (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Scramble_City) or subsequent episodes like "The Final Showdown On Earth Part 1" (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/The_Final_Showdown_on_Earth_%28Part_1%29) - neither of which were ever released here (so I was never exposed to them as a child).

Yet I frequently played with the cross-compatability feature of those toys.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/G1%20toyplay/th_g1_1988.jpg <---yes, Defensor's right arm there is Afterburner. The legs were probably Lightspeed and Slingshot too. :D

Grievous
18th July 2010, 07:47 PM
I love this little guy...in fact I love all the PCC I own...
Apart from Skyburst...my Aerialbot drones belong to
Searchlight permanently.