Toy Review - Bombshock w/ Combaticons

Series - Power Core Combiners
Sub-line - 5-pack
Size - Commander w/ Drones
New/remould/redeco - New
Wave - 1
Released here - May 2010
Approximate Retail Price - $35-40
Approximate Size - 10cm (Bombshock), 3-5cm (Combaticon Drones)
Allegiance - Decepticon
Alt-mode - Cannon Truck (Bombshock), Armed Miltary Vehicles (Drones)
Main Features/Gimmicks - Combiner core (Bombshock), Combiner Limbs (Drones)
Main Colours - Dark green/grey (Bombshock), browns/greys (Drones)
Main Accessories - none
My Difficulty rating (out of 5) - 1.5
Stability - Not good in vehicle mode (Bombshock), springloaded, so very stable (Drones). Combined mode is a bit unstable on its feet.
Poseability/articulation - An acceptable level of articulation.
Playability - The small size of the toys in this set would be great for kid-size hands, but might seem a bit too small and fiddely for adult hands. The interaction of the five toys, and three easy-convertable modes of the Commander figure, make this a fun set.
Other Comments - I don't like the spring-loaded transformation of the Drones into limbs. It seems too lazy, and I want to 'transform' these Transformers, especially with the concept paying homage to the classic 'Combiner' concept.
Bombshock as an individual toy is probably the worst of the five Commanders in the first wave, in terms of alt-mode and conversion. The back half is a big open gap, with bright blue pegs sticking out the back.
In Powerup mode, the leg drones seem to bother people, with one facing forwards, and the other being side-on to form the feet. I personally don't like the way the arms don't have proper hands. The claws just hangoff the end like a mutant freak.
Pics of the various combinations between other Commanders and Drones with this set can be seen here (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=7735).

My Rating (out of 10) - 7

http://www.toycollectors.com.au/tftoys/pcc01.jpg

dirge
2nd June 2010, 07:26 PM
Kinda off-topic, but do the drones have any sort of name?

fatbot
2nd June 2010, 07:38 PM

none that i know of

SharkyMcShark
2nd June 2010, 07:51 PM
The drones are named just by appearances... so on the back of the box it says like Tank Drone, APC Drone, etc etc

Zippo
8th June 2010, 07:01 PM
Opened this set as well last night. Huffer wins for alt and robot mode, but Bombshock does shine in torso mode. Love how there are pegs just in the right places for the arms and legs to tuck into.

if I was going to keep him in alt mode he would loose his hands to remove those horrible blue pegs (though it would also ruin the back of the alt mode as well)

Drones are meh, but I do like the combined mode and that is how he will stay on the shelf.

jaydisc
13th June 2010, 10:51 AM
I like the combining gimmick. Bombshock's alt mode is abysmal though. Definitely fun to have one combiners from this line, not sure if I'll get any others.

The_Damned
13th June 2010, 01:15 PM
pretty happy with this set i found him better to be btr then the other one

GoktimusPrime
20th June 2010, 10:55 PM
Got this toy today as a gift. So not worth $40... the floppy hand bugs me and the automorphing restricts limb articulation. The drones are pretty much like Energon Optimus Prime's drones with automorphing gimmick, only less versatile because the arms can't become legs nor vice versa. Gonna wait till I find Skyburst on sale before getting him (unless someone else wants to get it for me. :p)

Bombshock's alt mode is abysmal though.Bombshock's alt mode is abysmal though.
+1. It's by the worst PCC Commander alt mode that I've come across so far. I don't have Skyburst yet, but the 2-pack Commanders alt modes are much better than Bombshock's. Except for the unsightly blue connector joints, they're pretty decent (and the blue kinda works with Searchlight). The massive gap at the back is just fail.

Are you ready for the awesomeness? Their names are:
+ Missile Carrier Drone (right arm)
+ Tank Drone (left arm)
+ APC Drone (right leg)
+ Armoured Car Drone (left leg)

*limb position according to gestalt mode pictured in post #1.