Size - Voyager
New/remould/redeco - New
Wave - 1
Released here - May 2010
Approximate Retail Price - $45-50
Approximate Size - 16cm
Allegiance - Autobot
Alt-mode - Hovercraft
Main Features/Gimmicks - Space for a Scout vehicle on the back.
Main Colours - White, blue, bronze
Main Accessories - 2 Missiles and launchers

http://www.toycollectors.com.au/tftoys/hftd10.jpg

PascTF
4th June 2010, 01:30 AM
I got that toy a few months ago. Sadly, I got tired of the mold pretty quickly. The alt mode is unusual, but the transformation and robot mode are nothing to write home about imo. A bit too generic.

fatbot
4th June 2010, 07:37 AM
I love him, the Alt mode is good, the scuba outfit, while strange on a robot is good, and he's fun to play with.

Deceptic_Optic
4th June 2010, 10:12 AM
I dunno seing it in person is like...made me pass on him, I had him in my hand but in the shelves back he goes. :(

Bartrim
4th June 2010, 10:47 AM
I'm in a battle at the moment. Ulladulla toyworld has him but I don't know if I can pay $55 for him.... Ooooh but I wants my precious so bad:p:D

GoktimusPrime
4th June 2010, 04:25 PM
I put one on lay-by last night. The first time I've ever put a Transformer on lay-buy since 1987 (Headmaster Horrorcons)!! :o

The most disappointing thing when I saw the toy was that name tag... I think it might have been jaydisc who posted an image (or link to image) of HFTD SeaspraySea Spray with the photoshopped "Hi, my name is RAY" name tag. Cos it really DOES look like that!! :o (OoO)

Personally I'm classifying this toy as movieverse cos HFTD seems to be part of the movieverse line (haven't seen it on other toys like PCCs).

Decepticon
4th June 2010, 04:31 PM
Does it float in the bath tub like my yellow rubber ducky? If not, I will pass!

Defcon
4th June 2010, 04:45 PM
Price and space are my main concerns, its great to see a new mold though. He dosen't interest me all that much, if he was a scout I'd buy.

reillyd
4th June 2010, 07:31 PM
I just adore my Seaspray. I hadn't been collecting any of the Universe or ROTF Voyagers except for Bludgeon, but after getting him I see the appeal in this size class now.

Ever since seeing him at a fanmeet (thanks again to Griffin), I'd been waiting for him. He looks great with most scouts, and its a good way to display two figures at once, but he looks fantastic in robot mode too, so I'll probably pick up another on clearance.

I just hope they keep doing more G1 homages like this. Very cool

GoktimusPrime
4th June 2010, 07:43 PM
G1 homage aside, what are the other redeeming features of this toy for its rather hefty price tag?

PascTF
4th June 2010, 10:35 PM
He doesn't float, I tried. :)

jaydisc
4th June 2010, 11:00 PM
I was quite excited for this toy as the original G1 figure (and hovercrafts in general) holds a special place in my childhood memories, but this toy really disappointed me. As PascTF said, the transformation and robot mode are a bit lame. And the head mold and flippers just seem too humanesque and unbelievable. Why does a robot need breathing tubes or leg powered propulsion? Lastly, this toy suffers the same issue as ROTF Lockdown. He is a confused toy without a line for a home. He doesn't really fit into the Classicsverse, and he doesn't really fit into ROTF.... He feels like a G. I. Joe crossover.

GoktimusPrime
5th June 2010, 10:44 AM
He doesn't float, I tried. :)

If anyone wants to take any action pose shots of toys floating in water, here's the trick - it's what I did with that old skit of mine with the Sea Team Mini-Cons attacking Submarauder in the swimming pool (unfortunately I've since lost that pic :()

Use some kind of transparent base to hold the toy inside the water. For my skit I just used the blister/bubble from a carded toy. It worked surprisingly well and I had people accuse me of photoshopping that shot (but you all here know that my 'digital art' skills don't extend beyond MSPaint! ;) :D). I imagine that take-away containers and any other transparent containers should work as well. :)

Sadly I don't have a swimming pool anymore - but I might try an aquatic action pose in a bathtub. (: Be sure to dry your toys off quickly afterwards to avoid rust! (^_^)

kup
5th June 2010, 11:43 AM
A bit too generic.

I think you just managed to put all my issues with this toy into one word. Like Jaydisc, the scuba gear is one of the main gripes I have with it too.

Pipesqueak
5th June 2010, 01:30 PM
A TF with flippers and scuba mask is the cutest thing ever and the alt mode is gorgeous. Straight to the classics shelf next to Inferno.

Bartrim
17th June 2010, 01:06 PM
A TF with flippers and scuba mask is the cutest thing ever and the alt mode is gorgeous. Straight to the classics shelf next to Inferno.

Totally agree. Love this figure:D

GoktimusPrime
18th June 2010, 09:51 AM
A TF with flippers and scuba mask is the cutest thing ever and the alt mode is gorgeous.
Heh yeah... it reminds me of some Beast Wars (esp. BW Neo) and Car Robot (RiD) toys whose robot modes had some "theme" correlating to their alt modes.

e.g. Break's head has a beak-like crest and white feathers like a penguin, Mach Alert (RiD Prowl)'s head is streamlined and has a spoiler like a lamborghini, Big Convoy has two large protrusions like the tusks on a mammoth et al.

So yeah, I think it's cute. :)

lcz128
18th June 2010, 11:45 AM
IMO he looks best with a few (small small) changes:
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/lcz128_photos/LJ/sped5_01.jpghttp://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/lcz128_photos/LJ/Sped5_23.jpg
left picture shows chromage for his weapons that you can't see on the image on the right ... Right image shows the newly added traditional autobot logo; beyond that the only real changes were:

painted thighs, forearms, head and fan-things
Hands swapped out for Alternator ones

Pretty simple, right? And he fits better into Classics/Henkei this way :D

But even without the changes I really liked him out of the box- love the hovercraft mode - it's cute, and I like the transformation - Far from complex but a nice, quick and easy transformation - I still want to find a better head for him though :\

GoktimusPrime
18th June 2010, 07:03 PM
I prefer the toy's original colours. But I like how you got rid of that stupid "name tag." :)

FFN
18th June 2010, 08:43 PM
I was quite excited for this toy as the original G1 figure (and hovercrafts in general) holds a special place in my childhood memories, but this toy really disappointed me. As PascTF said, the transformation and robot mode are a bit lame. And the head mold and flippers just seem too humanesque and unbelievable. Why does a robot need breathing tubes or leg powered propulsion? Lastly, this toy suffers the same issue as ROTF Lockdown. He is a confused toy without a line for a home. He doesn't really fit into the Classicsverse, and he doesn't really fit into ROTF.... He feels like a G. I. Joe crossover. As unbelievable as a alien robot? :D

Why does a transforming space robot have scuba gear and flippers? To give him character in his design relating to his aquatic nature. Why did G1 Seaspray sound like he was a snorkler in the cartoon? To give him character in his voice relating to his aquatic nature. It "doesn't make sense", but it's a franchise about transforming space robots. From space ;)

Autocon
19th June 2010, 10:27 PM
interesting...some really love and some really hate:D

Autocon
19th June 2010, 10:45 PM
remember they are for kids!!! so a simple transformation for u would be just perfect for little hands:D also some of the movie figs are too hard to transform in my opinion for kids

Deonasis
19th June 2010, 11:24 PM
I've played with the mould but I have passed on buying it until I see what repaints and series he will appear in. I think he is awesome though.

GoktimusPrime
20th June 2010, 11:04 AM
interesting...some really love and some really hate:D
0% have voted no and 18.75% have voted "Doesn't interest me." 50% have voted yes with 31.25% voted Only if cheap.

While only half of voters love the toy enough to get it regardless of price, it seems that nobody hates it enough to absolutely pass it and only a minority have said it doesn't interest them.

remember they are for kids!!! so a simple transformation for u would be just perfect for little hands:D also some of the movie figs are too hard to transform in my opinion for kids
Yes, but for fifty dollars you'd expect more. If you make a toy simpler you should make it _cheaper_. This toy feels more like an oversized Deluxe. WFC Optimus Prime has a more detailed engineering than Sea Spray (and a few people have said that WFC Optimus Prime is an undersized Voyager). I'd rather have an undersized Voyager than an oversized Deluxe because with the former I feel like I've gotten really good value for my money whereas with the latter I feel more ripped.

Smaller and cheaper toys are better for kids too. And kids aren't stupid... if they're interested enough in Transformers they will work out the transformation. Saintly's eldest is still in primary school and he can handle Voyager Movie Optimus Prime just fine. :D

reillyd
20th June 2010, 12:23 PM

I agree with the transformation steps on this one, but I do think the diagram made it harder. What I don't understand is why they don't just prepare a youtube video tutorial or something similar for younger kids hosted on transformers.com. Once you understand the steps, its not so bad, and they could always look it up again (and visit the transformers website more often).

Soon as its on clearance, I'm buying another one to put them side by side. I just love my Seaspray

SharkyMcShark
26th June 2010, 09:16 PM
I bought it on a whim and to be honest I really like it.

The transformation is simple, but I'm not overly fussed by that. Which is odd because usually it bothers me (see: Animated Leader Megatron). Alt mode looks nice, and robot mode looks good. The flippers and snorkel and slightly irksome, but meh. Whatever.

It all just works. I can't really explain it. I'm not even a Seaspray fan or anything.

The_Damned
1st July 2010, 09:58 PM
i actually opened this and love it, there is nothing bad i can say about this one,

PascTF
2nd July 2010, 02:12 AM
This toy feels more like an oversized Deluxe.

Not really, most movie deluxes are way more complex than that.

GoktimusPrime
2nd July 2010, 12:21 PM
Then it's an oversized Scout! (which makes it even poorer value for money)

Ode to a Grasshopper
2nd July 2010, 05:36 PM
Then it's an oversized Scout! (which makes it even poorer value for money)But oddly fitting for a revamped Seaspray...:p

Maybe he should have come with a HA Alana (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Alana)?

Deonasis
2nd July 2010, 06:56 PM
I like the conversation this has sparked. From my limited experience with Seaspray I can only fault the paint and boarding ramp that doesn't go down. I think his 'simplicity' is actually a very well designed toy that can keep a Walmart Powerglide company.

I would buy next time I saw him if I didn't need to be so very picky with my $$ right now.

Sky Shadow
2nd July 2010, 09:17 PM
The Transformer of 2010.

GoktimusPrime
5th July 2010, 12:18 AM
Oh hey, I found that old photocomic I made in the swimming pool! So yeah, this is how you can pose Sea Spray (or any other sea-faring TF) in water using a transparent base. Submarauder's shell is empty (I put the robot aside) so it naturally has buoyancy, but with those Mini-Cons I had them sitting on an empty transparent plastic bubble/blister from a sealed toy. Gives the illusion that they're floating on water. :)

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/Photocomic%20Naval%20Mayhem/photocomic_seateam.jpg

Paulbot
4th January 2011, 01:14 PM
I'm glad of the homage, but this toy doesn't live up to the Seaspray name. It's not the Classics Seaspray I'd like to see and that colours my opinion. He looks better in robot mode but still not quite right. There's just something about it I don't love yet.

UltraMarginal
4th January 2011, 04:13 PM
Personally I quite like the vehicle mode, the transformation is a little simple but that's not necessarily a bad thing, sometimes I'll not transform a figure because I think "do I have the time?"

The swimming gear does irk me a little, but then the original voice irked me too, so in that respect it's a fair homage, just as irritating as the original.:)

My biggest issue is the leg shape in robot mode, there's something about it that's just a little wierd.

overall I'd give it an 8 I think. I also got it for $30 so much better value.:cool:

kaiden
4th January 2011, 06:06 PM
I'm glad of the homage, but this toy doesn't live up to the Seaspray name. It's not the Classics Seaspray I'd like to see and that colours my opinion. He looks better in robot mode but still not quite right. There's just something about it I don't love yet.

probably because its voyager sized compared to his original whatever size - but he's supposed to be a minibot. which also reminds me of the rts legends trailbreaker and how most fans would have probably preferred deluxe size?

griffin
5th January 2011, 01:12 AM
Paulbot has a point... Classics Powerglide, in its (proper) red colour release, worked despite its over-large size, because both modes were good homages to the Gen1 toy. Seaspray didn't, because it wasn't a similar type of Hovercraft, a different looking Robot form, and the colours were close but not quite. If it were a Legends size figure, and had a brighter yellow and blue to it, the different design of the 2 modes may have been forgivable.

Paulbot
5th January 2011, 05:07 PM
Having just got Red Powerglide yesterday I have to agree Griffin, I liked the regular one fine but the Red one gets the homage much closer.

With Seaspray I don't think the size bothers me (but yes Kaiden I'd prefer a new Trailbreaker toy to be a deluxe or voyager than a legend but I dont think that's the last Trailcutter toy we'll see) it's that the homage isn't strong enough, even though the gimmicks of the robot mode (breathing equipment, flippers) are cute. Cybertron Shortround is a better match for vehicle and robot mode to the original Seaspray (which is why that gets repainted as such so often).

Maybe the brighter yellows and blues on the Takara version would have been better to wait for?