PDA

View Full Version : War For Cybertron toys worth getting?

SkyWarp91
4th June 2010, 10:50 PM
Hey everyone,

Do you think the WFC toys are worth getting? I'm not a G1 collector but I do collect the movie toys and some classics/universe toys and am on a moderate budget. I've done my research on the toys but I just don't know, the robot modes do look cool but the alt modes aren't really something to get wooed over because they're cybertronian vehicles which don't really have that 'Robots in Disguise' feel to them.

- Skywarp91

5FDP
4th June 2010, 11:01 PM
I would say 'yes' as I plan to get them myself after some serious consideration.

The alt modes do bother me slightly, but being a MOSC collector and having them packaged in bot mode certainly helped my decision.

Another factor that weighed into my decision was that I don't forsee Hasbro coming out with a large range of figures (as Transformers: Prime and TF3 will soon be their main focus) with a very good chance that I will be able to collect the whole series. Something that I rarely do.

SharkyMcShark
4th June 2010, 11:01 PM
Prime is really very good - he's got a distinct movie feel to him.

Bumblebee I don't have but Prime is worth picking up

Vector Prime
4th June 2010, 11:03 PM
I would snap them up in a heartbeat... if I could find them, that is! :mad:

k.wong23
4th June 2010, 11:16 PM
Sure get them and if you don't like them, just sell em!

kup
4th June 2010, 11:55 PM
Sure get them and if you don't like them, just sell em!

Yeah I have a feeling that they are going to fly off the shelves fast. Better buy them now and decide later if you want to keep them.

Firestorm
5th June 2010, 12:19 AM
I've only got Bumblebee Right now but based on him I'd say get them, they are really nice figures and I plan on getting 1 of every War For Cybertron figure released

MV75
5th June 2010, 02:57 PM
I'd have to say no.

Few reasons, first, they're tied to a video game, sorts of limits and creates non-characterisation. (Hey Kup, there's no character back stories nor character building stories :p ). Second, because of the video game, they're based on stuff that's been created with artistic freedoms, that meaning, they look nothing like the cybertronian stuff of g1, which in the end doesn't fit into the "canon" that well. Sure they're fine for their own "universe" just like movie toys.

Actually, I'd lump them into being "movie like with g1 tribute".

Finally, they don't seem to have marketed these right. They're in generations packaging, potentionally confusing to kiddies and potentially selling themselves short. They should have been in their own WFC game line. But they could potentially salvage this if they also release g2, unicron trilogy and beast wars "tributes" as well in the generations line. Mmmmmm... sounds familiar to something that was supposed to have happened. :) It sort of did, but was all over the shop.

kup
5th June 2010, 03:15 PM
I'd have to say no.

Few reasons, first, they're tied to a video game, sorts of limits and creates non-characterisation. (Hey Kup, there's no character back stories nor character building stories :p ). Second, because of the video game, they're based on stuff that's been created with artistic freedoms, that meaning, they look nothing like the cybertronian stuff of g1, which in the end doesn't fit into the "canon" that well. Sure they're fine for their own "universe" just like movie toys.

Actually, I'd lump them into being "movie like with g1 tribute".

Finally, they don't seem to have marketed these right. They're in generations packaging, potentionally confusing to kiddies and potentially selling themselves short. They should have been in their own WFC game line. But they could potentially salvage this if they also release g2, unicron trilogy and beast wars "tributes" as well in the generations line. Mmmmmm... sounds familiar to something that was supposed to have happened. :) It sort of did, but was all over the shop.

Since when is G1 a single canon? The makers of the game have specifically acknowledged the game as their take of that universe. Even if the game ends up officially not within G1 continuity, it still seems pretty nifty enough to acknowledge. I am not a G1 purist, if a cartoon/comic/game has good stories and characters, I will follow it.

Second, It is very possible that the game will indeed have a worthy story attached to it and so far, I am liking what I am seeing.

I agree on the marketing however. The packaging is way too similar to ROTF making its confusing since it hard to tell one from the other when mixed with the movie stuff. Since it's promoting the game (or vice versa), it should of had packaging directly based on it as its easy to dismiss it as more movie toys if you are not looking. If the packaging reflected the game's logo and theme, someone who enjoyed the game may walk by and immediately identify the packaging due to the game logo and take a closer look, potentially buying the toy.

I don't understand Hasbro marketing, to me its been pretty erratic and nonsensical over the last few years.

Deceptic_Optic
5th June 2010, 04:02 PM
I say gotta catch em all...goodluck guys your lost if you miss out. :D

MV75
5th June 2010, 04:05 PM
Since when is G1 a single canon? The makers of the game have specifically acknowledged the game as their take of that universe. Even if the game ends up officially not within G1 continuity, it still seems pretty nifty enough to acknowledge. I am not a G1 purist, if a cartoon/comic/game has good stories and characters, I will follow it.

Second, It is very possible that the game will indeed have a worthy story attached to it and so far, I am liking what I am seeing.

I agree on the marketing however. The packaging is way too similar to ROTF making its confusing since it hard to tell one from the other when mixed with the movie stuff. Since it's promoting the game (or vice versa), it should of had packaging directly based on it as its easy to dismiss it as more movie toys if you are not looking. If the packaging reflected the game's logo and theme, someone who enjoyed the game may walk by and immediately identify the packaging due to the game logo and take a closer look, potentially buying the toy.

I don't understand Hasbro marketing, to me its been pretty erratic and nonsensical over the last few years.

Yes, it is in its own "free continuity", as I said, it's just like the movie verse. G1 is single canon from the fact most has spawned from it, and will continue to do so. TFA (which you complained the most about), was the most original "continuity" so far created from the fact that Optimus was not the "absolute" autobot leader.

It seems very unlikely it will live up to your standards though for story line, only being an action game and all. I'm very surprised you're even getting these toys. ;)

On the packaging, they should have made generations yellow instead of shifting rotf end way through.

kup
5th June 2010, 04:18 PM
Yes, it is in its own "free continuity", as I said, it's just like the movie verse. G1 is single canon from the fact most has spawned from it, and will continue to do so. TFA (which you complained the most about), was the most original "continuity" so far created from the fact that Optimus was not the "absolute" autobot leader.

It seems very unlikely it will live up to your standards though for story line, only being an action game and all. I'm very surprised you're even getting these toys. ;)

On the packaging, they should have made generations yellow instead of shifting rotf end way through.

A simple story can be good if its clever. My main gripe with Animated was its first Season which was neither original nor clever but I actually enjoyed some of the 2nd and very much liked the 3rd Season which redeemed much of the series for me. My toy collection reflects that as I did collect the Activators.

You seem to have little idea of what my 'standards' are so I suggest you stop bringing them up as if you are an expert on them. I buy what I like not what you think I would like or not.

SkyWarp91
5th June 2010, 04:37 PM
Well, I went down to a couple of Big Ws and one only had Cybertronian Bumblebee and the other hadn't even released them out yet. It's not such a big loss, I can wait for another fortnight.

But I found another figure I've been looking for a very long time... ...Legends Class Devastator!!

kup
5th June 2010, 04:47 PM
Well, I went down to a couple of Big Ws and one only had Cybertronian Bumblebee and the other hadn't even released them out yet. It's not such a big loss, I can wait for another fortnight.

But I found another figure I've been looking for a very long time... ...Legends Class Devastator!!

I think that the whole wave is being release simultaneously. If you only see Bumblebee is because the others have sold out.

Something to keep note is that some stores seem to be mixing up the Generations and ROTF toys within the same pegs due to similar packaging. There isn't really a 'Generations' section as such.

5FDP
5th June 2010, 05:47 PM
If the packaging reflected the game's logo and theme, someone who enjoyed the game may walk by and immediately identify the packaging due to the game logo and take a closer look, potentially buying the toy.

I was kinda surprised when I picked up mine and there was no sticker to indicate that these toys were from the WFC line. Promo shots I have seen have this...

http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/179/tfcybertronianoptimuspr.jpg

kup
5th June 2010, 06:07 PM
I was kinda surprised when I picked up mine and there was no sticker to indicate that these toys were from the WFC line. Promo shots I have seen have this...

Yeah, I have also looked at the packaging and found nothing saying that its from WFC. However such a tiny sticker is still not enough to tempt a gamer into buying the toy.

5FDP
5th June 2010, 06:29 PM
However such a tiny sticker is still not enough to tempt a gamer into buying the toy.

Agreed. It would make good sense if places like EB sold them as well. They used to be quite big on selling game tie-in toys... even if they were marked up 100%.

Verno
5th June 2010, 07:23 PM
So what is 'Generations' exactly? Is it just another word like 'Universe'?

kup
5th June 2010, 07:25 PM
So what is 'Generations' exactly? Is it just another word like 'Universe'?

Pretty much. It's basically Classics 3.0 but like Universe, it's also a 'catch all' for other line toys.

Verno
5th June 2010, 07:28 PM
So if they release a new Rhinox, it'd likely be in this time?

kup
5th June 2010, 07:54 PM

Yeah if they release a new Rhinox it would come out as Generations with that packaging. However there has been no word of a new Rhinox toy in a very long time.

ComicGuy89
5th June 2010, 08:06 PM

I'm not sure, but I believe that the Rhinox rumor was dispelled by one of the Hasbro people. Then again, this is just vague memory, which fails me often.

Which is sad, though, if true. :( I am a big Beast Wars fan.

On topic, I do hope to see these WFC guys soon. Hopefully the mass retail stores will have their prices dumbed down a bit.

Verno
5th June 2010, 08:07 PM
Yeah if they release a new Rhinox it would come out as Generations with that packaging. However there has been no word of a new Rhinox toy in a very long time.

Ah yeh, but is BotCon not just around the corner?! It would be the perfect time to announce any new Rhinox. I'm sure it would bring the house down. It'd sure bring mine down.

kurdt_the_goat
5th June 2010, 09:41 PM
There was actually the Figure King issue showing a prototype of Animated Rhinox, so perhaps he will be revisited in Generations.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2760/4311993926_e507ac37ab_o.jpg

kaiden
6th June 2010, 07:21 PM
i like the designs of WFC Optimus and Bumblebee. But I held off buying any and also the power cores as i want Takara Tomy versions.

I was looking at optimus and the plastic and colour just looked bad to me.

blade prime
6th June 2010, 07:37 PM
I'd say go for it! Im gonna get one of every wfc figures, if only they had them in voyager class =(

kup
6th June 2010, 07:55 PM
i like the designs of WFC Optimus and Bumblebee. But I held off buying any and also the power cores as i want Takara Tomy versions.

I was looking at optimus and the plastic and colour just looked bad to me.

I was thinking the same thing but Bumblebee's colors are decent and game accurate enough for me to get. Prime's colors don't look as good as the photos but it is alright although not great but still hardly a downer like Universe classics were.

What I am liking about this new Generations line is that I am noticing much more paint detailing and color consistency. In Universe Hasbro would of just giving us a yellow and black Bumblebee with spots of silver but here we are getting some complex painted detailing on the doors and tinted clear plastic of different colors.

The other toys like Thrust and Drift also have above average paint quality and detailing when compared to Universe.

langzixinxin
10th June 2010, 08:38 PM
Why do I feel that WFC OP is like a mouse/rat in my hand. :confused:

SkyWarp91
10th June 2010, 09:30 PM
Why do I feel that WFC OP is like a mouse/rat in my hand. :confused:

Maybe because he's just a deluxe sized toy? :D

5FDP
10th June 2010, 10:42 PM
Yeah, I don't have a problem with him being deluxe size... especially when the transformation is as good as his. Hasbro really did a great job with the engineering on 'ol Op.