PDA

View Full Version : Gentei Thrust or Generations Thrust

GoktimusPrime
10th June 2010, 07:06 PM
I'm gonna keep one and give the other away to Sky Shadow. But I keep changing my mind over which one to keep, because I think both have their merits!

A picture tells a thousand words, so here are some comparison pics:
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/comparisons/comparison_thrust1.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/comparisons/comparison_thrust2.jpg

From a "Gee Wun fanboy" POV, I think Generations Thrust looks better. But when I remove my fanboy goggles, I think Gentei has better features too.

My thoughts are:
+ Generations Thrust has a nice darker metallic maroon.
+ Gentei Thrust has a nice white face (Generation Thrust's face is like a beige)
+ I like Gentei Thrust's painted nipples. :D
+ Gentei Thrust's wings have more paint details on them (especially on the back).
+ Generations Thrust has a nice darker gold, and I like how the ones above the shoulders border the grey 'grill' whereas the Gentei one covers it.
+ I like how Gentei Thrust has grey hands with red fingers.
+ But I also like how Generations Thrust has dark grey hands and forearms. This greatly appeals to the G1 fanboy in me. :)
+ I like how Generations Thrust has the two different offsetting colours on the shins.
+ Generations Thrust has two small silver Decepticon logos above the VTOL fans, but I prefer how Gentei Thrust has massive purple Decepticon logos on the wings and on the nosecone of the jet mode. Purple Decepticon logos appeal to the G1 fanboy in me.
+ Both versions have chromed cockpit interiors - Gentei is silver, Generations is gold. I prefer the gold one but really both look fine.
+ I like how Generations Thrust has painted rib grills and the two gold squares on the waist.
+ But I do like how Gentei Thrust has a gray waist (Generations Thrust's unpainted waist disappoints me a bit)

...so... both have redeeming features -- but if you had to choose one to keep, which would it be?

When I started typing this post I was favouring Gentei Thrust, but now I'm favouring Generations Thrust -- that's how indecisive I am about these toys atm!! :eek: :cool:

SharkyMcShark
10th June 2010, 07:11 PM
I'd say if you're looking for the best generation 1 representation then Generations Thrust.

If you're looking for the best toy you'd have to examine them in hand re joint tightness, paint apps, etc. (I'm not advocating giving Shadow a busted ass toy here mind you)

Everything else really is personal preference. I don't own Gentei Thrust but I've had him in hand before and my preference is for the Generations version (the wing pattern on the Gentei version annoys me - that's not really a G1 purist thing though, I just think it looks kind of off).

Maybe let Sky Shadow decide which he wants if you're on the fence?

kurdt_the_goat
10th June 2010, 07:26 PM
Do you have the remaining seekers to form a full henkei or botcon set?

I'd just keep the one that is in the same line as the overall set you prefer.

Otherwise, you'll always look at one and think 'now, he's not really supposed to be there is he!' Even if it's only subtle, all henkei or all classics looks better than a mish-mash.

Robzy
10th June 2010, 07:39 PM
Why not just keep them both and tell Sky Shadow to go and get his own freakin' figures!

j/k! :D:D

GoktimusPrime
10th June 2010, 07:42 PM
Do you have the remaining seekers to form a full henkei or botcon set?

I'd just keep the one that is in the same line as the overall set you prefer.

Otherwise, you'll always look at one and think 'now, he's not really supposed to be there is he!' Even if it's only subtle, all henkei or all classics looks better than a mish-mash.

Mine's from all over the place.

Starscream: Classics
Thundercracker: Gentei
Skywarp: Gentei
Thrust: Gentei & Generations (for now)
Ramjet: Classics
Dirge: Universe*

*yes, the repaint of Voyager Cybertron Starscream :( - missed out on both BotCon and Gentei versions of Dirge. I bought Generations Thrust to "cast my vote" in support of Hasbro having done so, and hopefully to encourage them to release a Generations Dirge. But since I have no need for two "Classics" Thrusts I decided to give one away (and since Sky Shadow won that competition, one will go to him :)).

Maybe let Sky Shadow decide which he wants if you're on the fence?
Sky Shadow's more than welcome to contribute to this discussion and/or vote in this poll. Obviously I'm not voting since I can't make up my damn mind. :)

In terms of physical quality, they're both about the same.

kup
10th June 2010, 07:48 PM
I prefer Generations Thrust over Gentai but overall I like the Botcon one as the nicest.

bruticus
10th June 2010, 08:11 PM
this is a bit out of left field, but you can part swap them so you can keep all the best features on one figure. ;)

Vector Prime
10th June 2010, 08:19 PM
Well I have both of them, but I still think the Botcon version is the best one, followed closely by Generations and Gentei/Henkei last.

And as Robzy so eloquently put it, why don't you keep both and get S/S to "get his own freakin' figures!" :D

Seriously, you're better off keeping the Gentei/Henkei version since it's comparatively rarer.

SilverDragon
10th June 2010, 09:23 PM
Seriously, you're better off keeping the Gentei/Henkei version since it's comparatively rarer.

Depending on whether rarity is a factor for you, then this is what I'd do.

5FDP
10th June 2010, 10:44 PM
If I had to choose only one, I would go for the Generations Thrust. But that's coming from a 'Gee Wun fanboy' :p

liegeprime
11th June 2010, 12:04 AM
Hmmm I prefer to keep the Gentei one for price reasons actually - coz Gentei one costs around $100 and the likelihood of finding and buying another is well, not really economically easy, while generations thrust is well, cheaper, more widely available should you choose to one day wish to... "reacquire" one.

kup
11th June 2010, 12:05 AM
Hmmm I prefer to keep the Gentei one for price reasons actually - coz Gentei one costs around $100 and the likelihood of finding and buying another is well, not really economically easy, while generations thrust is well, cheaper, more widely available should you choose to one day wish to... "reacquire" one.

Has the Generations Thrust affected prices?

Edit: Checked - They are about the AU$100 mark but are they selling? I can't imagine anyone going for them at that price when you have Generations Thrust which is of a comparable quality for a quarter of the price (or less).

liegeprime
11th June 2010, 12:15 AM
Has the Generations Thrust affected prices?

Edit: Checked - They are about the AU$100 mark but are they selling? I can't imagine anyone going for them at that price when you have Generations Thrust which is of a comparable quality for a quarter of the price (or less).

Which is why i voted to keep the expensive one. Can you yourself think of just giving away $100? compare that to giving away $25... which then would you choose? and also the fact that the $25 one can easily be "reacquired" than a $100 one due to the more wide availability, mass production wise.

Im not saying anything about the quality coz I also think Gen Thrust is very good, quality wise:) which is actually pleasantly surprising since they scrimped on the quality of the first seekers releases.... hope they make generations dirge...

kup
11th June 2010, 12:28 AM
I think that Generations Dirge is an eventuality.

FFN
11th June 2010, 08:40 AM
Because I liked the extra paint apps Hasbro put on the (retail) versions of the Classic seekers, I prefer Gentei Thrust over Generations Thrust.

I think the straight G1 decos on most of the Henkei seekers (as well as the BotCon 2007 versions) look dull.

GoktimusPrime
11th June 2010, 10:00 AM
Last night Deceptic_Optics came over with a mate, Mrs. Optics and his mate's partner... Deceptic voted for Generations Thrust, but the other people (i.e. non-TFans) preferred Gentei! Which kinda supports my feeling that preference for Generations Thrust is seen through rose-tinted GeeWun fanboy glasses. :D

But then Deceptic put forward the same point that liegeprime raised, and recommended that I keep the Gentei. He made a good point in saying that if later on I change my mind, it would be more expensive for me to get a Gentei Thrust compared to a Generations Thrust since the Gentei one was a limited exclusive. And I also agree with what FFN said too.

So after considering all the advice that's been given, I've decided to keep Gentei Thrust and give Generations Thrust to Sky Shadow. :) Thanks to everyone who contributed. Feel free to keep discussing and voting - the poll stays open for another 6 days (I thought I'd give myself a week to decide).

If you were in my shoes - which one would you have kept? ;)

FFN
11th June 2010, 07:03 PM
I never bothered opening my Gentei Thrust or Dirge. Was getting bored of the seekers by that point, though I'm still open to Hasbro doing more rainmakers or other unexpected seeker redecos.

GoktimusPrime
11th June 2010, 07:15 PM
I'd like to see Generations Dirge before anymore rainmakers. Surely he takes precedent.

Lint
11th June 2010, 08:47 PM
Get rid of both of them :p the classics seekers mold is terrible imo

loophole
11th June 2010, 08:53 PM
Get rid of both of them :p the classics seekers mold is terrible imo

yeah i want voyager sized ones (or whatever the size class is for classic optimus etc) and with better articulation

klystron
11th June 2010, 09:02 PM
Ignoring the financial side of it, I think that Generations Thrust looks better.
Yes, heres hoping they do a Gen Dirge!

1AZRAEL1
12th June 2010, 12:39 PM
Hmm, looking at the picture comparison, I like Generations for the paint job of the wings and such, but I prefer the shade of the Gentei's maroon. I still may buy Generations, but I am not sure.

FFN
12th June 2010, 08:20 PM
I'd like to see Generations Dirge before anymore rainmakers. Surely he takes precedent. Well yeah, I mean, in addition to the "main seeker" ones they haven't done yet.

Like the ones seen here. (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Seeker_%28body-type%29)

Hmm, looking at the picture comparison, I like Generations for the paint job of the wings and such, but I prefer the shade of the Gentei's maroon. I still may buy Generations, but I am not sure. If anybody is still in the market for Thrust, just get the Generations one. Even though I prefer the Gentei version, I wouldn't bother paying the $100 it cost to get him if I knew there was a much cheaper, much more widely available version from Hasbro that looks just as good (but in a different way).

Even the dropped prices since the revelation of Generations Thrust is too much, in my opinion, for Gentei Thrust. I hope the same happens to Henkei Alert.

MV75
12th June 2010, 08:38 PM
How about you keep both and skyshadow goes to bigw and buys his own toy.

It's not like they're rare or expensive. Or did you loose a bet for thrust or something?

GoktimusPrime
12th June 2010, 10:53 PM
How about you keep both and skyshadow goes to bigw and buys his own toy.

It's not like they're rare or expensive. Or did you loose a bet for thrust or something?

I ran a competition a while back where I promised that the winner would receive a free Generations Thrust courtesy of me. This was because I wanted to buy a Generations Thrust to support/encourage Hasbro, but obviously I have no need for a second "Classics" Thrust. Sky Shadow won that competition.

But then after getting the toy I started wondering if I'd rather keep that and give Sky Shadow my Gentei one instead. I contacted Sky Shadow and he graciously allowed me to open up Generations Thrust so I could make a loose comparison (cos either way, he still gets a free Thrust :)).

1AZRAEL1
13th June 2010, 08:38 AM
If anybody is still in the market for Thrust, just get the Generations one. Even though I prefer the Gentei version, I wouldn't bother paying the $100 it cost to get him if I knew there was a much cheaper, much more widely available version from Hasbro that looks just as good (but in a different way).

I already have Gentei Thrust, hence why I don't know if I need another Thrust. I got mine just a few weeks before it was announced.

FFN
13th June 2010, 11:39 AM
I'd suggest offloading it onto a Japanophile.