PDA

View Full Version : Demo Review - War for Cybertron

Deonasis
11th June 2010, 09:19 AM
What are your thoughts on the game demo..

I will type my thoughts up better later but overall I liken the experience to playing Unreal Tournament. It is fairly fast and player movement is very important with alot of freedom. The weapons also remind me of the original UT (probably because they have very little force feedback). Overall it has been very fun. Sorry for this incomplete post but tell everyone about your own experience below..

My brain dump is post #8 in this thread..

GoktimusPrime
11th June 2010, 09:57 AM
Wow... I liked playing Unreal Tournament! (never any good at it, but I liked it!) -- based on that comparison, I feel like getting this game now.

Thing is... I wanna sell my Wii. Don't really wanna keep it just to play _one_ game. I'm thinking about getting a PS3 so I can play this game and use it as a BluRay player. Thing is I won't be able to afford a PS3 for a while. So I might buy this game on PS3 first, then wait for way later when I can get the platform to play it on!! Eep! :o

Jetfire
11th June 2010, 10:17 AM
What are your thoughts on the game demo..

I will type my thoughts up better later but overall I liken the experience to playing Unreal Tournament. It is fairly fast and player movement is very important with alot of freedom. The weapons also remind me of UT (probably because they have very little force feedback). Overall it has been very fun. Sorry for this incomplete post but tell everyone about your own experience below..

Interesting. Look forward to hearing your full thoughts on the demo.

I think this uses the UT engine, at least it looks like the UT engine, so I'm not suprised with the comparison to UT. But thats a good thing in my book. Bring on the bot carnage!

Tetsuwan Convoy
13th June 2010, 06:12 PM
Wow... I liked playing Unreal Tournament! (never any good at it, but I liked it!) -- based on that comparison, I feel like getting this game now.

Thing is... I wanna sell my Wii. Don't really wanna keep it just to play _one_ game. I'm thinking about getting a PS3 so I can play this game and use it as a BluRay player. Thing is I won't be able to afford a PS3 for a while. So I might buy this game on PS3 first, then wait for way later when I can get the platform to play it on!! Eep! :o

There have been no screen shots or any news specifically relating to the Wii version of the game Gok, aside from it having a different subtitle.

The demo was for the Xbox which will be like the PS3 and PC versions, but the Wii is nt only being made by a different developer, it's likely to be a very different game, so unless you are a mad game collector, I wouldn't bother keeping the wii one.

bassbot
13th June 2010, 06:50 PM
i'm enjoying it, between watching the world cup and playing this - it's fun. i'm not very good yet, keep getting smashed upside the head by the soldier class melee attack...

1AZRAEL1
15th June 2010, 09:29 AM
So I might buy this game on PS3 first, then wait for way later when I can get the platform to play it on!! Eep! :o

Same thing I did for Arkham Asylum :o

I may do it for this as well, though I may just get it for the PC. Kind of conflicted lol. I will buy them on DS as well.

kup
15th June 2010, 07:46 PM
I wish they had released a PC demo. I don't see why they couldn't.

Deonasis
16th June 2010, 01:22 AM
I have played ~6 hrs of WfC multiplayer over the last week. I tried to write a review but this is just a brain dump.

Liked:
The start menu has a picture of Cybertron revolving slowly. I sat through an entire slow (real slow) revolution but I thought there were some interesting stuff going on over the other side of Cybertron.

This demo can be frustrating. I hear the multiplayer being like Team Fortress with the vastly different classes, like Modern Warfare 2 with the abilities, perks and challenges, like Gears of War with the melee focus, and like Unreal Tournament with the speedy tactical movement around the map. It is all these things (and I play these games) but I struggled to get a handle on it all + the controls for bot and alt modes. This isn't a negative, I'm getting better and enjoying having to think about how I can kill the bot in front of me or whether I should chase the one who is driving away from me.

The 2 available classes Scout and Soldier are pretty evenly matched and fun. But I do think a highly skilled player would be near untouchable as a sneeky Scout.

Here is some useful game tips:
Any time you can after getting hit, start heading for a health 'cube'. It is hard to kill a bot without someone else taking most of your health away. Whenever someone gets the drop on you, they can remove your remaining health super fast.

Get safe and reload. All weapons either overheat fast, need a reload often, or fire slowly. It is hard to takedown more than 1 bot at a time without a 'gun break' for one of the above. Usually a kill involves a bit of shooting, manuvering and melee.

Know what you got. I kept (and keep) trying to throw grenades that I've run out of or use special abilities that are still recharging. Argghh!

The demo map 'Molten' is fun. There are safe corners here and there but cruisin around without a purpose/target in sight or trying to get the jump on someone will hurt you badly. And if you stay facing the same direction expect some energon blades in your back.

Disliked:
Possibly not the best online experience out there. My Xbox Live has never been bad like this :(. In my sessions I have had quite a few bits of big lag, or getting kicked back to the lobby moments, and two totally frozen screens (requiring Xbox restarts).

I'm still getting used to my 2 guns I choose for my bot to start with. The guns are not vastly different and I am not used to the different hud crosshairs for each. Even after firing a gun I sometimes am not sure which one I am using. :o

The stats after each round are pretty basic. Detailed post-match results is something I like in my online shooters.

The load screens look more Halo than Transformers to me. But what does that matter anyway?

Other info:
-In the full game, multiplayer will have 8 maps and 6 gamemodes.
-Yes I read Kotaku.com

bassbot
16th June 2010, 05:54 PM
good tips! unfortunately i need the energon cubes too often at the moment!