PDA

View Full Version : Can you create a better character than Drift?

Ode to a Grasshopper
11th June 2010, 12:35 PM
:)Don't worry Sharky, I like drift. I have a dislike for Animated and Bayverse but believe they are still for the greater good of us collectors to keep the line moving in some sort of direction. Our first decent (Yes Decent) new character in a while and people bag the hell out of it. I don't believe I could do a better job of creating a new Character can anyone else? Was that the sound of silence, highly unlikely I'm sure someone here has something to say and off you go.I like this idea - here's a thread for anyone who wants to try to create a better new character than Drift (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Drift_%28G1%29). Alt-mode, powers/abilities, weapons, character, background -why not give it a shot?

EDIT - here's a sample format.

Character name
Allegiance:
Alt-mode:
Function:
Character description
Strength:
Intelligence:
Speed:
Endurance:
Courage:
Firepower:
Skill:

Deceptic_Optic
11th June 2010, 12:44 PM
lol this would be interesting...lol i got a feelings its going to be a good thread

Sky Shadow
11th June 2010, 12:56 PM
I skim-read this as "can you crap a better character than Drift?"

In which case, yes. :p

And the problem with Drift is that he was created at all. It's not that we should all be creating our own G1 characters, it's that unfleshed-out G1 characters should always be used before new Mary-Sue/Gary-Stus.

1orion2many
11th June 2010, 12:58 PM

Don't let me inhibit your expressive freedom, crap away:p:D

GoktimusPrime
11th June 2010, 01:12 PM
Hhhrrrrrrrrrnnnnnnnn... :mad: <---constipation face

*crap.crap* here ya go... ;) :D

Aléph-Tav (http://www.transformersfanfic.com/viewstory.php?sid=2634&chapter=1) (profile for TV-kun exclusive green Mini-Con Sparkplug)
Devil Builder (and the Devil Build Team) (http://www.transformersfanfic.com/viewstory.php?sid=1742&chapter=1) (profiles for chase Destron variants of reissue Sixbuilder)
Beast Wars Hot Rodimus (http://www.transformersfanfic.com/viewstory.php?sid=2635&chapter=1) (profile for CD-ROM Convobat)
Rodimus Primal (http://www.transformersfanfic.com/viewstory.php?sid=2636&chapter=1) (profile for Universe Optimus Primal)
Dreadwave (http://www.transformersfanfic.com/viewstory.php?sid=2853&chapter=1) (character created based on Transmetal Spittor)
Bug Bite, Road Ranger and Small Foot (http://www.transformersfanfic.com/viewstory.php?sid=2939&chapter=1) (profiles for eHobby Gobots - and yes, Road Ranger is a shameless Gary Stu :p)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dunno if you'd consider my fan-made characters as better or worse that Drift, but the fact is that I'm _not_ a professional writer and I'm _not_ charging you $6-7 to read about these characters! I don't like parting with my hard-earned cash to read about a character that some amateur schmuck like myself could have created.

Bartrim
11th June 2010, 01:24 PM
Hhhrrrrrrrrrnnnnnnnn... :mad: <---constipation face

Maybe you should create a transformer who's power includes converting energon to fibre.

GoktimusPrime
11th June 2010, 01:25 PM
Maybe you should create a transformer who's power includes converting energon to fibre.
A reverse Rhinox, eh? :p

Robzy
11th June 2010, 01:51 PM

:D:D

And the problem with Drift is that he was created at all. It's not that we should all be creating our own G1 characters, it's that unfleshed-out G1 characters should always be used before new Mary-Sue/Gary-Stus.
Never a truer word spoken (or written)!!

Ode to a Grasshopper
11th June 2010, 02:07 PM
OK, I have two. I'll put a sample format on the initial post so we can get some characters cranking here.

HenTitus
Allegiance: Predacon (JP).
Alt-mode: Colossal squid Mesonychoteuthis hamiltoni (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colossal_Squid) (Transmetal 2).
Function: Terrorist.
Misogynist, perverse terror of the deep seas; secretly terrified of fembots and often goes out of his way to target them in battle. Delights in restraining his victims and piercing their armor plating with his titanium-drill-tipped tentacles, before infecting them with his viscous horror-inducing cyber-slime. Also transforms into aquatic drilling platform - frequently causes environmental disasters and loudly complains that he 'wants his life back' (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZAVcPuXeSU) when forced by Megatron to harvest undersea fuel resources. Squid tentacles become cyber-scourge* (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scourge) in robot mode. Other Predacons consider him a disgusting, creepy lech and avoid him as much as possible.
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 5
Speed: 5
Endurance: 6
Courage: 4
Firepower: 8
Skill: 7

Roundhouse
Allegiance: Autobot
Alt-Mode: Party bus.
Function: hand-to-hand combat.
Used to be one of the top martial artists on Cybertron, before long exposure to the horrors of war caused him to turn to over-energizing (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EBUXVZcb2M) as a coping mechanism. Reckless, irresponsible, loud and rowdy when in battle; listless, morose, verbally abusive and self-loathing when not. Pioneer of two new Cybertronian fighting styles, both of which have yet to really take off: Belligerent Bujutsu and Sizzled Sumo. Robot-Mode Techno-tinnie launcher fires cylindrical pressurized grenades that explode into gyro- and hand-optic coordination inhibiting foam on impact. Terrible driver.
Strength: 7
Speed: 4
Endurance: 8
Courage: 9
Firepower: 7
Skill: 3

*The link to non-TF scourge is there so as to avoid confusion with the Transformer(s) of the same name, for all those of us who aren't familiar with the intricacies of self-flagellation or ancient religious punishment techniques. Now I know!

heroic_decepticon
11th June 2010, 02:08 PM

pure poetry as usual my friend.

Gutsman Heavy
11th June 2010, 03:31 PM
TUSKOR

Allegiance: Maximal
Alt-mode: Walrus
Function: Sentry

Tuskor is one of the most lazy un-dedicated maximals of all, hence his position of sentry in the rarely visited polar ice caps. He spends his time in standby mode or lazing in the sun to recharge via the solar panels in his tail.

Strength: 3
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 2
Endurance: 8
Courage: 2
Firepower: 2
Skill: 3

Top that Drift!

GoktimusPrime
11th June 2010, 04:10 PM
Nice work, GH! I like how you based your character on an existing unnamed obscure character (http://tfwiki.net/w2/images2/4/43/Neo-waitingroom.jpg) - just like Sunstorm was! :D

(image from Beast Wars Neo, "Big Convoy, Move Out!")

Gutsman Heavy
11th June 2010, 04:54 PM
I was bitterly crushed when I found out that Walrus never got a toy. Or bot mode. :(

One can dream...

Sam
11th June 2010, 09:45 PM
This one's just for fun.... :p

Name: Repaint
Allegiance: Decepticon
Sub-Group: Expendicons
Alt-mode: Another Typical Cybertronian Jet
Function: Decoy

Repaint is a warrior of mediocre ability that transforms into an unremarkable looking Cybertronian jet. Thus, his specialty is in acting as a decoy. He annoys the enemy just enough to fulfill this role, but not so much that he'd be more useful elsewhere.

Merges with fellow Expendicons into Mega-Knockoff.

Strength: 5
Speed: 7
Endurance: 5
Courage: 4
Firepower: 5
Skill: 5

SkyWarp91
11th June 2010, 11:02 PM
Yes I can, and he doesn't even need any stats...

...God-Drift

Oh yeah. I said that.

liegeprime
11th June 2010, 11:05 PM
Already Have - My Mascot - Nightfall:)

Ode to a Grasshopper
11th June 2010, 11:22 PM
More info than just a name would be nice - even Drift (sort of) has a personality.

Prodigus
Alt-mode: Cybertronian Watchdog drone (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Watchdog_%28G1%29)
Function: Ground Security
A sensitive, artistic, spiritual, enlightened new age 'bot trapped in a menial sentry drone's life. A talented artist and poet, skilled orator, brilliant inventor, and sage philosopher incessantly pondering the mysteries of life - a true Renaissance Bot. Despite his mediocre physical capabilities could have ended the war for either side a hundred times over thanks to his incredible grasp of military strategy, but unfortunately suffers a crippling shyness that renders him all but mute in company...barely able to respond to orders or relay basic information as a result. Since he's always paired with generic security drones no-one of any importance in Decepticon command even knows he exists.
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 5
Endurance: 5
Courage: 2
Firepower: 5
Skill: 5

MV75
12th June 2010, 08:50 AM
B.O.
Allegiance: Autobot contracter
Alt-mode: Some sort of wheeled vehicle. Noone seems to care enough to ID it.
Function: Outsourcing.
Bloody Obvious is a bot of many talents such as courier, supply, Data entry and reconnaissance. He emits a noxious odour from suffering from a faulty energon converter, thus uses more fuel than the advertising says. This turns out well because he's able to blend in well with earth vehicles, particularly magnas and anything diesel, so he can be practically any vehicle out there. He is only recognisable when in bot mode. Tends to drive slow and cuts off other traffic.
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 1
Endurance: 1
Courage: 10
Firepower: 4
Skill: 10

Sky Shadow
12th June 2010, 10:24 AM
I said I could crap a better G1 character than Drift. And so I took a…

Dump.

Allegiance: Decepticon.

Function: Warrior.

“And what do they call this?”

When the Ark crashed, so did Dump’s hard drive. Now, when he shuts down every solar cycle, his daily experiences are transferred to a long term memory drive that no longer functions. When Dump reboots, he only has memories of Cybertron and every day on Earth is his first. Although his Decepticon comrades are sick of Dump’s wide-opticed attitude to everything he sees, they never tire of having him on their side on the battleground. Since he knows he won’t remember his actions in the morning, Dump is up for anything, no matter how horrific or insane. He is equally comfortable with running headlong at military tanks or with firing his own twin howitzers into an Autobot at pointblank range (although this may be because he forgets what they are and how they work). Each day, Dump discovers that he now transforms into a tip truck and relishes the new experience of crushing Autobots beneath his wheels or hydraulics. It is suspected that Megatron has the technology to repair Dump’s back-up memory, but prefers him the way he is. Starscream often asks whether Megatron regrets taking Dump to Earth. To his Air Commander’s amusement, Megatron’s reply is always, “My only regret is that I didn’t take more Dumps.”

Ode to a Grasshopper
12th June 2010, 10:48 AM
Driftotron
Alt-mode: N/A (Gestalt)
Function: Being awesome
The combined form of the Driftobots, a combiner team composed solely of clones of Drift, Driftotron is so awesome that he overloaded Perceptor's new invention, the Awesome-o-meter, before it was even activated. Stronger than Fortress Maximus, faster than Blurr, smarter than Computron, braver than Grimlock, tougher than Chuck Norris, cooler than Jazz, outranks even Optimus Prime. Sheer awesomeness causes enemies and more impressionable friends to short out when in close proximity, humans just spontaneously orgasm instead. Uses 15 swords in close combat, one-hit-kills sword-shooting gun made of swords for ranged battle. Doesn't need energon, powered by his own charisma. When he's not around everyone always asks "Where's Driftotron?"; jumps over sharkticons on his rocket-skate-surfboard in his spare time. Single-handedly solved world hunger, cured AIDS, and brought peace to the Middle East; unanimously elected Supreme Supreme Military Commander, President-for-Life, and King of Kings of the world, but turned it down because his home planet needed him.
Strength: 10+
Intelligence: 10+
Speed: 10+
Endurance: 10+
Courage: 10+
Firepower: 10+
Skill: 10+

GoktimusPrime
12th June 2010, 10:59 AM
Driftotron
The combined form form of the Driftobots, a combiner team composed solely of clones of Drift, Driftotron is so awesome that he overloaded Perceptor's new invention, the Awesome-o-meter, before it was even activated. Stronger than Fortress Maximus, faster than Blurr, smarter than Computron, braver than Grimlock, tougher than Chuck Norris, cooler than Jazz, outranks even Optimus Prime. Sheer awesomeness causes enemies and more impressionable friends to short out when in close proximity, humans just spontaneously orgasm instead. Uses 15 swords in close combat, sword-shooting gun made of swords for ranged battle. Doesn't need energon, powered by his own charisma. When he's not around everyone always asks "Where's Driftotron?"; jumps over sharkticons on his rocket-skate-surfboard in his spare time. Single-handedly solved world hunger, cured AIDS, and brought peace to the Middle East; unanimously elected Supreme Supreme Military Commander, President-for-Life, and King of Kings of the world, but turned it down because his home planet needed him.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/avatars/roflcopter.jpg
He should also spit Sharkticons out of his mouth. :D

kup
12th June 2010, 12:01 PM
From Prowl's Enemy Profile Archives (CLASSIFIED):

Character name: Unknown but soldiers in the field have dubbed him 'Rogue' with a preceding descriptive connotation which changes depending on currently equipped mods . Example: Tank Rogue, Scout Rogue, Tech Rogue or Speed Rogue.

Allegiance: None - But he is neither a neutralist nor a soldier for hire. He has been seen fighting against either Decepticon or Autobot (sometimes both) during different engagements. He appears to be working alone or for a yet to be known non aligned faction.

Alt-mode: Mod Upgradeable ground vehicle - without the upgrades he would appear to resemble a generic cybertronian civilian vehicle allowing him to hide among the fleeing populace when not in battle. He has been observed with different Mods during different engagements.

Function: None - He is not part of a formalized chain of command that we know of but witnesses have reported the Rogue using a 'Tank' mod that allows him access to heavy canons and arms; a 'Speed' mod - self descriptive; A possible 'Stealth' mod which was only caught briefly as a flicker by surveillance drone. He also seems to posses a 'Tech' mod which allows him to hack into database and surveillance equipment with ease but leaves no trace on the identity of the hacker.

Character description: The motivations and goals of 'The Rogue' are currently unknown to Autobot Intelligence but we have observed certain patterns to his appearances. The Tank Rogue has a tendency to attack the aggressor in a given conflict regardless of faction. This severely disrupts and sometimes even cripples the offensive. This pattern of behavior is not restricted to the battlefield as The Stealth Rogue somehow manages to steal and leak classified information from either Autobot or Decepticon mainframes robbing the faction of any advantage gained from it.

Although it cannot be denied that 'The Rogue' has been of invaluable and often decisive assistance while fighting back a Decepticon offensive which has unfortunately won him some 'fans' among our forces - He has also robbed us of our element of surprise or disrupted our own offensives against the Decepticons.

The Rogue on occasion has also been witnessed attacking both Autobot and Decepticon forces without discrimination. This is usually in the defense of civilian or neutralist settlements which were unfortunately caught in the middle of a battle and suffer the potential of collateral damage. This has gained him a considerable following among the often neglected civilian population.

In a darker note, I also suspect the Rogue of assassinations of both Autobot and Decepticon field commanders which are currently classified as 'Cause of Death: Unknown'. It so happens that these deaths occured on the eve of a battle in which civilian casualties were forecast as inevitable.

The Rogue is clearly a danger in the field even if he temporarily appears to be 'on our side'. I recommend a high priority directive to all Autobot regiments to apprehend The Rogue upon sight even if it compromises their current mission. The pool of information he must possess along with his interchangeable mod technology are invaluable to Autobot Intelligence - We must do so before the Decepticons beat us to it.

Weaknesses: Given the specialized 'heavy' nature of the Rogue's mods and how he is capable of exchanging them for others between engagements, it is reasonable to conclude that the use of them must be very taxing to the Rogue's unspecialized core systems. This is validated by an incident in which the Tank Rogue's canons were seen malfunctioning after a prolonged engagement which forced him to flee from the battle. Unfortunately Autobot soldiers were unable to pursue as they were still heavily engaged with Decepticon forces at the time. The Rogue also appears limited to 1 or two mods at a time which could render him ill equipped if his mission expectations are inaccurate.

Technical Specifications

Strength: 6 (Stealth/Tech Rogue), 4 (Speed Rogue), 9 (Tank Rogue)
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 9 (Speed Rogue), 5 (Tank Rogue) 7 (Stealth/Tech Rogue)
Endurance: 8 (Tank Rogue), 6 (all other mods)
Courage: 9
Firepower: 9 (Tank Rogue), 6 (Stealth/Tech Rogue), 4 (Speed Rogue)
Skill: 9 on all mods

heroic_decepticon
20th June 2010, 03:57 AM
love the bold bits! :p:p:p

I said I could crap a better G1 character than Drift. And so I took a…

Dump.

Allegiance: Decepticon.

Function: Warrior.

“And what do they call this?”

When the Ark crashed, so did Dump’s hard drive. Now, when he shuts down every solar cycle, his daily experiences are transferred to a long term memory drive that no longer functions. When Dump reboots, he only has memories of Cybertron and every day on Earth is his first. Although his Decepticon comrades are sick of Dump’s wide-opticed attitude to everything he sees, they never tire of having him on their side on the battleground. Since he knows he won’t remember his actions in the morning, Dump is up for anything, no matter how horrific or insane. He is equally comfortable with running headlong at military tanks or with firing his own twin howitzers into an Autobot at pointblank range (although this may be because he forgets what they are and how they work). Each day, Dump discovers that he now transforms into a tip truck and relishes the new experience of crushing Autobots beneath his wheels or hydraulics. It is suspected that Megatron has the technology to repair Dump’s back-up memory, but prefers him the way he is. Starscream often asks whether Megatron regrets taking Dump to Earth. To his Air Commander’s amusement, Megatron’s reply is always, “My only regret is that I didn’t take more Dumps.”

Driftotron
The combined form of the Driftobots, a combiner team composed solely of clones of Drift, Driftotron is so awesome that he overloaded Perceptor's new invention, the Awesome-o-meter, before it was even activated. Stronger than Fortress Maximus, faster than Blurr, smarter than Computron, braver than Grimlock, tougher than Chuck Norris, cooler than Jazz, outranks even Optimus Prime. Sheer awesomeness causes enemies and more impressionable friends to short out when in close proximity, humans just spontaneously orgasm instead. Uses 15 swords in close combat, one-hit-kills sword-shooting gun made of swords for ranged battle. Doesn't need energon, powered by his own charisma. When he's not around everyone always asks "Where's Driftotron?"; jumps over sharkticons on his rocket-skate-surfboard in his spare time. Single-handedly solved world hunger, cured AIDS, and brought peace to the Middle East; unanimously elected Supreme Supreme Military Commander, President-for-Life, and King of Kings of the world, but turned it down because his home planet needed him.

SMHFConvoy
20th June 2010, 12:15 PM
Driftotron
The combined form of the Driftobots, a combiner team composed solely of clones of Drift, Driftotron is so awesome that he overloaded Perceptor's new invention, the Awesome-o-meter, before it was even activated... Doesn't need energon, powered by his own charisma...

So he's a giant Ed Begley Jr

5FDP
29th June 2010, 12:24 PM
Name: Nugget
Sub-Group: Septicon
Alt-mode: Poo
Function: Infiltration

Able to take the shape / form of any faecal matter and infiltrate behind Autobot defences. Armed with a high-powered methane cannon capable of projecting pungent smells which disrupts enemy olfactory senses to create confusion. Often mistaken for a Rocklord.

Position can be exposed in battle due to offending odur.

Intelligence: 1
Endurance: 4
Courage: 6
Firepower: 10
Skill: 2

kup
29th June 2010, 07:32 PM
Name: Nugget
Sub-Group: Septicon
Alt-mode: Poo
Function: Infiltration

Able to take the shape / form of any faecal matter and infiltrate behind Autobot defences. Armed with a high-powered methane cannon capable of projecting pungent smells which disrupts enemy olfactory senses to create confusion. Often mistaken for a Rocklord.

Position can be exposed in battle due to offending odur.

Intelligence: 1
Endurance: 4
Courage: 6
Firepower: 10
Skill: 2

Sounds like a Rock Lord :p

GoktimusPrime
29th June 2010, 08:31 PM
Sounds quite similar to my fan-character "Scattor" ;) It's just something I drew one day while I was bored at work (detention supervision... joy) -- never wrote a bio for it, but 5FDP's Nugget profile works well (nice reuse of a Go-Bot name too :)). Perhaps Scattor and Nugget can be repaints of the same mould. :D

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/unchigar.jpg

Sky Shadow
29th June 2010, 09:16 PM
Sounds like a Rock Lord :p

http://www.tfu.info/Gobots/Guardians/Nuggit/nuggit.htm

SofaMan
29th June 2010, 10:45 PM
Check the sig people. Just ignore the stats; I pinched them from Sixshot (I think).

GoktimusPrime
5th July 2010, 08:54 AM
Here's one I made a few years ago... Movie First Aid! :)

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/Movie%20poses/Universe/tfu_firstaid.jpg

5FDP
5th July 2010, 09:19 AM
That's awesome Gok. It is as if Bob Budiansky wrote that himself.