PDA

View Full Version : Anyone a Hey-Hey fan, or been to the show?

griffin
11th June 2010, 04:23 PM
I've been offered a ticket to an episode of the Hey Hey its Saturday show later in the year (the entire series has been 'sold out'), and was wondering if anyone here was ever keen enough to be in the Audience in the past, or have ever wanted to?

For me, it was an 80s icon I grew up with like TFs (now seen them 'live' at BotCon) and John Farnham (I finally got to see him live at a concert, and it was worth the wait), and as dorky/cheesy/lame as Hey Hey may seem to some, it was decent light entertainment that was never obscene or intentionally controversial. It's been one of the things I would love to just experience in person at least once, because it seems so familiar, but not yet 'real'. Kinda like going around Hollywood last year - you see certain things so often in fantasy-land (TV), but being there is like being in another world.

For anyone who has been before, or in ANY live TV audience, what's it like? Was it a worthwhile experience?

i_amtrunks
11th June 2010, 04:56 PM
Be prepared for a long evening.

For a 90 minute Good News Week episode, we were in the studio for over three hours (they cut so much good stuff, and even more Akmal ranting).

Not sure how long Hey Hey goes for, but I'm sure that they'd have heaps of errors, cuts and retakes, not to mention all the time needed to change the stage/floor between segments.

At least at Hey Hey you are less likely to be abused by the program's host! :D

griffin
11th June 2010, 05:09 PM
Hey Hey is usually live though??? They have live crosses, places people have to show up to to win stuff that they only announce during the show, and even emails sent in during the show that they read.
I've asked for time details, but may just fly in for the whole day just to be sure, and overnight it if it is live (finishes at 9.30, which might be too late to fly back out).

Thanks for that description though. For a free comedy show, I'd think, the longer the better?

i_amtrunks
11th June 2010, 08:56 PM
Thanks for that description though. For a free comedy show, I'd think, the longer the better?

Damn straight, I went straight from the GNW filming to work (10pm-6am) and was still hurting from the laughing pains.

Didnt realise that Hey Hey was actually 'live', I haven't watched an episode since it returned to air.
If it is actually live, then I guess that really puts a time limit on the show (unless they "prefilm" some segments earlier). :D

Eruntalon
11th June 2010, 09:26 PM
I went to the filming of Sale of the Century once back in Primary School around 1995-1997? It must have been a school audience day that day as we weren't the only one's; most of the audience were made up of school children.

Robzy
11th June 2010, 10:39 PM
I was in the audience once when Hey Hey was in Adelaide... but it wasn't in the studio, it was back in the days when Adelaide had the Grand Prix (they did a special episode) so it was actually next to the race track!!

Hey Hey is usually live though??? Don't think so... maybe it's different now, but I know that it used to actually be filmed on Friday nights. The only reason I know this is because I work with several other entertainers who have performed on the show on numerous occasions (when it used to be on that is). Maybe they do things differently now... but it used to be pre-recorded!!

griffin
12th June 2010, 01:57 AM
I'll have to find that out then, to be sure I fly down on the right day. I'm sure that they at least tape the same day, because I was given a Wednesday date. But there is a good chance that it is filmed earlier in the day, which is fine by me if it isn't too early (so I can fly back home straight after and not need to organise/pay for accomodation.

1AZRAEL1
12th June 2010, 12:22 PM
I'm pretty positive it is live, since the whole thing with Harry Conick Jnr back when it returned to tv, the night it was on, it caused alot of controversy with what he said. But they aired an encore of that episode and cut that part out. I think they would have cut it out the first time it was on.

Plus, they crossed to a John Farnham concert that was on one of the nights in Brissie I think.

G1Optimal
12th June 2010, 03:50 PM
:o:o:o I keep forgetting to watch Hey Hey it's Saturday:o:o:o

Paulbot
30th June 2010, 09:35 PM
I've been in the audience of Hey Hey twice, both times back in the 90s. I don't remember exactly when but it was after Ossie Ostrich had left. One of the episodes I saw was live and the other was pre-recorded which I think used to be more common. Both went for about the same amount of time though.

The new series of Hey Hey is live as far as I can tell, perhaps a few minutes delayed... but last week it was interupted by news of the leadership challenge more awkwardly then one would imagine if the show was pre-recorded.

Most TV shows I've been in the audience of require you to be there quite early although they often don't let you in to late. I was in the audience for an episode of Spicks and Specks earlier this year (which just happened to be the Americana episode that was shown tonight) and there was about an hour from the time we had to be there to actually going in. That show is taped and did last longer than the half hour that ended up on TV.

My memories of going to see Hey Hey are good and that it was enjoyable to see live. Often shows that are so/so on TV are more enjoyable with an audience; Rove Live for instance. I didn't like that much on TV compared to the couple of times I was in the studio audience. Shows that are good on TV are even better live (Good News Week as i_amtrunks mentioned is a good example).

griffin
6th July 2010, 12:54 AM
Received another email, to be told that they don't have the room now, so I won't be going. :(

At least I was procrastinating with booking flights, so don't have to be upset about paying for a day trip for nothing. (well, almost nothing, as there are still people to see)