PDA

View Full Version : Hunt for the Decepticons goes LIVE

griffin
12th June 2010, 10:58 AM
For those around the world (mostly us) who have already started collecting those little bits of paper with the 14-digit HFTD codes, you can now finally use them.

Hasbro website has just activated the site (http://www.hasbro.com/transformers/en_US/discover/movie-news/TRANSFORMERS-HUNT.cfm), which takes you here to play (http://transformers.promotions.com/transformershunt/).
(requires Adobe Flash)

But make sure you give a quick read of the rules/conditions here first (http://i.promotions.com/transformershunt/flash/rules_html/en_US/HFTD_terms.html?locale=en_US&embedFonts=true).

For some screenshots, check out this tfw2005 news post (http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/transformers-movie-toys--products-30/hasbros-hunt-for-the-decepticons-campaign-live-now-169936/).

Remember, this online game/promo is scheduled to run from June 2010 to January 2011.

reillyd
12th June 2010, 06:09 PM
Woah! Did anyone else READ those terms and conditions?

How to Obtain a Code: Codes (each, a “Code”) are available inside specially-marked packages of the following Transformers products: Deluxe Assortment, Voyager Assortment, Human Alliance Assortment, Leader Assortment, Scout Assortment, Legends Assortment, Battle Ops Bumblebee product, Speedstars Transformers Bumblebee Trackset, Speedstars Transformers Battlepack Assortment, Speedstars Transformers Stealth Force Basic Assortment, Speedstars Transformers Stealth Force Deluxe Assortment, Speedstars Transformers Stealth Force Optimus Prime, Starscream Assault, The Fury of Bonecrusher, Sideways Sneak Attack, The Ravage Infiltration, Rampage Among the Ruins, Constructicon Devastator, The Victory of the Fallen, Megatron Rising, Bombing Run Battle, Desert Ruins Brawl, Hunters Rumble, High Speed Spy Battle, Crash Landing Attack, Rotorwash Rumble, (each specially marked product with a Code will be called a “Product” and collectively, the “Products”) while supplies of these products in stores of your country last.

Has anyone else heard of a "Starscream Assault", "Ravage Infiltration", Fury of Bonecrusher, Bombing Run Battle, etc?

I'm guessing they are new products or store exclusives, but they sound awfully cool!

griffin
12th June 2010, 08:01 PM
see here:
http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=7946

Sharky
12th June 2010, 09:07 PM
does anyone have problems with the page.. i get error messages and cant do anything.....??

reillyd
13th June 2010, 04:00 PM
Yeah I had problems too. I found the only way sometimes was to either refresh the page, or reenter the URL and go through the logon screen again to enter a new code.

griffin
14th June 2010, 01:28 AM
I got errors on the registration page with IE, so tried Firefox and didn't have a problem.

It did tell me that it requires the latest version of Flash player (http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflash/)though, so keep that in mind if you get errors too.

Off to try it now...

griffin
14th June 2010, 04:40 AM
I just spent the last hour typing up a review of the game and then this board logs me out, and I lose it all. :mad:

Will try again later after I've slept.

griffin
14th June 2010, 02:51 PM
So not happy to be doing this again...

Short version now.

The game takes an hour, hour and a half to go through. And you only need 7 Codes to access everything. Actually, if you try entering in more codes before you've used up all of your 'Plays', it will reject it.

The Game is split up into 3 sections.
- 3 Mission (defeat a Decepticon, each with 15 attempts/plays)
- 4 Training Classes (tests of skill, also with 15 attempts/plays available to each)
- 1 Final Mission (against Megatron - again, with 15 attempts/plays)

The 3 Missions are very easy, for anyone above the age of 8. Most here will do each with just 1 or 2 attempts. You need 3 Codes to unlock the Missions (one per Mission).

Each of the 4 Training Classes are split up into two blocks of 10 levels - Easy and Elite. The easy block of each Class is accessable without Codes, but you need a Code for each of the Elite blocks.

The Final Mission does not require any Codes, and can be played without unlocking the Elite Training Blocks (someone with just 3 codes can play through the entire game, but I doubt you'd be able to defeat Megatron in the Final Mission, as the Elite Training earns you the strength and shields necessary to outlast Megatron).

AS NOTED EARLIER - make sure you have the latest version of Adobe Flash (just in case - and it does recommend it on the game), and I suggest using a non-Internet Explorer Browser (I used Firefox), as the Windows Browser just had too many errors to be able to even register.

From the first screen, register with a unique name and password.
(The echo of Optimus sometimes lags, so just click pause on the playback, and it cuts it out)

Then log in once registration is accepted.

This will bring up the Mission Screen, with the 3 Missions at the bottom.
Enter in a Code (top of screen) to unlock the first Mission, or 3 codes to unlock the 3 Missions at once.

Mission 1 - You driving Bumblebee Vs Axor (in Car modes) in Shanghai.
A driving game (street moves - you just move within the screen). You have to bash Axor before he bashes you (each has a health bar), using the arrow keys.

Mission 2 - You in a Fighter Jet (from the point of view of the pilot) Vs Terradive (in Jet mode) over Paris.
You use the mouse to move and target Terradive, then fire on him until he is destroyed.

Mission 3 - You Vs Starscream (in Robot mode), in a South American Desert (like a shooting gallery POV).
Using the mouse, you target and shoot Starscream before he can fly to another part of the screen. He stands for a while though, so you get to shoot him a lot before he shoots at you. Using the spacebar, you can activate a shield to block his attack, as it only takes 3 of his hits to kill you, while it takes about 50 of your shots to defeat him. After a couple goes, you get to predict when he is about to shoot, and have the shield ready (takes a second to power up).

When the 3 missions are completed, you have the option of viewing a historical video of Cybertron (just a trailer for the War For Cybertron game), or to proceed into the Elite Guard Training Facility.

The Training Facility Page has the Elite Guard Logo, which you progressively fill as each Training Class is completed.
Below that are the four Training Classes - Speed, Strength, Skill, Fireblast.
Each Training Class also shows the Elite level, which remains locked until you enter in another 4 Codes (enter them in straight away if you want, or as you are about to do each Class).
Also on that screen is the Final Mission Tab, which remains locked until all 4 Classes are completed to the Recruit/Easy level.

Techspec Training 1 - Speed, with Sideswipe.
A grid maze, you use the arrow keys to move your Autobot square to the Decepticon square before time runs out.
Easy 10 levels - nothing unusual.
Elite 10 levels - Decepticon logo moves and maze moves.

Techspec Training 2 - Strength with Ironhide.
A really weird ball throwing game. With the mouse, you grab and throw a ball through a wall of blocks. Some blocks have Decepticon logos that can repel the ball if hit.
Easy 10 levels - not many Decepticon blocks and wall is stationary.
Elite 10 levels - wall moves, and a lot more Decepticon blocks.

Techspec Training 3 - Skill with Ratchet.
Reminds me of a Carnival game called 'wack a (gopher/clown/etc)'. The sort of game you have a hammer and you wack objects that pup up through the holes in the table. This one is a screen of black circles, and you have to click on any that have a Decepticon logo pop up. The longer they stay un-clicked, or if you click on something else (empty spot or an Autobot logo), your Skill bar creeps up to fail.
Easy 10 levels - small amount of black circles and logos to hit.
Elite 10 levels - bigger screen, lots more logos to click/wack, and some turn into Autobot logos which you can't click.

Techspec Training 4 - Fireblast with Bumblebee.
Target and track a moving Drone until the crosshairs turns red, then fire. The target crosshairs get smaller and smaller before turning red, but the moment you don't keep it on the Drone, your crosshairs goes back to full size and you have to start tracking it all over again.
This game required more skill than the one labelled as 'Skill'. Especially the Elite levels, which has only small periods of slow movement, so you have to be ready to use that chance before the time runs out.
Easy 10 levels - Drone moves slowly.
Elite 10 levels - Drone moves a lot faster and more unpredictable, changing directions suddenly.

After completing the Easy 10 levels of the 4th Training Class, Optimus will tell you that you are now ready for Megatron, and the Final Mission is unlocked. You can go and do it, or finish up the Elite levels of the Training Classes.

Final Mission - Vs Megatron in New York City.

This was the reeeally disappointing part of the game.
After all those 7 sections of the game, I was expecting something different and interesting/exciting for the Final Mission against Megatron.
As it turned out, it was just a carbon copy of the 3rd Mission against Starscream. Right down to the predictability of when Megatron was going to shoot, making it so easy, I only needed one attempt to defeat him.
So instead of a desert scene, you have a city rooftop scene. Everything else is the same - you have a shield, a gun that takes about 50 shots to defeat Megatron, and Megatron stands in different parts of the screen shooting very rarely at you.

That's it then. You get a thankyou message from Optimus, and the option of going back to redo any mission or training class that you still have 'Plays' left available to you.

What a let-down...

I really hope there is more to be added to this game during the 8 month promotion, because the impression I had from Hasbro at Toyfair was that there would be more Missions needing multiple sets of 3 Codes. As it is, you only need one set of 3 Codes, and that accesses everything. (maybe the Hasbro people at Toyfair were only guessing from what they were being told by Head Office)

I guess little kids will be amused, as it is a free bonus for the toys.

They could have included some sort of points scheme and high-score table for kids to keep going back (and be forced to buy more toys for the Codes needed to keep playing), to beat their friends.

It was an okay game to pass the time, but not really something most of us oldies will go back to once we've completed it once.