PDA

View Full Version : saw something interesting

morg176
19th June 2010, 01:38 AM
not sure if anyone cares but,

in the aldi catologue for 24 june, i saw a gi joe vehicle toy (night raven jet) from the recent gi joe movie. I looked the price of it up on the net and believe it cost about ~$70 ish to buy in australia (correct me if im wrong)

aldi will have it for $20

I dont collect or follow gi joe

but imagine if aldi stores sold transformers...
how inexpensive would they be? would it not be the dream of every collector

would it be worth inquiring to aldi whether or not they ever intend to sell TF
could be worth investigation if nothing else

what do you think? comment away

langzixinxin
19th June 2010, 03:12 AM
In that case, you would probably only see unwanted and out of date figures. Say one year from now, after TF III, aldi will sell ROTF leader megatron for 40 bucks?:rolleyes:

Lint
19th June 2010, 05:07 AM
I've seen $50RRP GI Joe stuff heavily discounted down to $10 at a toy store so this is no surprise to me. I would guess that many GI Joe toys didn't do as well as expected and the stock is being liquidated to whomever wishes to resell.

liegeprime
19th June 2010, 08:46 AM
Sounds great Might have to look into the 2 nearest Aldi's in my area.... Target sold NIght Raven's before for $20 around Late November - early Dec '09. I luckily got 2 - 1 for me, another a gift to my godson. Havent opened it though:o Im already lacking space heheheh. BUt I did want mebbe 2 more to make a semi squadron of Cobra Jets:D

Makes you think huh? If they sold it for $20, and they still have a good sizable profit from that, just how much REALLY are these figures sold to , Hasbro to Retailers price? We are sooooo getting shafted:mad::mad:

Hursticon
19th June 2010, 12:49 PM
Morg, that would be absolutely awesome man if ALDI started selling TFs, even if they were out of date figures and merely excess stock from every other retailer it would certainly give those who missed out on certain figures a second chance. I reckon though if they were to in the immediate future it would probably consist of Movie 1 and Animated figures. :p

5FDP
19th June 2010, 01:33 PM
ALDI did have the cheapo movie costumes some time ago e.g. Bumblee and Optimus.

I think they were about 5 bucks from memory. I couldn't resist :rolleyes:

http://img714.imageshack.us/img714/3446/benprime.jpg

Hursticon
19th June 2010, 01:37 PM
ALDI did have the cheapo movie costumes some time ago e.g. Bumblee and Optimus.

I think they were about 5 bucks from memory. I couldn't resist :rolleyes:

http://img714.imageshack.us/img714/3446/benprime.jpg

Haha, lol, that's awesome 5FDP! :D:p

morg176
19th June 2010, 01:53 PM
thanx for the replies guys, even if they sold only the older figures like animated etc, it would allow people like me who wanted to but more animated figure but was cash strapped at the time.

and if aldi had low prices associated with the sale of transformers it may force larger stores like kmart and target etc to drop their prices to something reasonable cause we are all getting ripped off something shocking. we pay 2 - 3 times as much as america, even when our dollars are comparable and dispatch from manufacturing is closer.

i found what i believe to be the name of the "managing director of buying - Aldi Australia" to be "TOM DAUNT"

maybe if we could find an email address, can everyone interested have a sniff around?

MV75
19th June 2010, 03:22 PM
http://www.aldi.com.au/au/html/offers/2827_14015.htm

Yep, there.

I guess transformers is better here than Gijoe which is supposed to be hasbros flagship line isn't it?

Sky Shadow
19th June 2010, 03:36 PM

Yep, there.

I guess transformers is better here than Gijoe which is supposed to be hasbros flagship line isn't it?

I would have thought that Star Wars was Hasbro's flagship line. But yes, G.I. Joe is huge in the U.S. and has never really taken off in here in the same way as Transformers.

Seraphim Prime
23rd June 2010, 01:18 PM
not sure if anyone cares but,

in the aldi catologue for 24 june, i saw a gi joe vehicle toy (night raven jet) from the recent gi joe movie. I looked the price of it up on the net and believe it cost about ~$70 ish to buy in australia (correct me if im wrong)

aldi will have it for $20

I dont collect or follow gi joe

but imagine if aldi stores sold transformers...
how inexpensive would they be? would it not be the dream of every collector
I saw this too, and got kinda excited until I noticed that it was the Night Raven jet that never really sold that well over here. Probably a wholesaler trying to get rid of their last stocks.

You see that from time to time. Before the movie came in and made Transformers heaps popular again, you'd sometimes find old Cybertron or Energon figures at decent clearance prices once the new line had started. I remember managing to pick up Energon Ultra Magnus for about $30 and most of the later Vogager waves for $25 a figure. And got very tempted by a Cybertron Skyshadow that was sitting in the reserve in the Target I work for that had come down to about $10. I would have bought it too, but by the next time I came in to work, somebody had bought it. :( I think Primus also got a markdown - I think ultimately he came to about $70 or $80 as stores tried to sell the last few.

Makes you wonder how much RotF Devastators will be during this years Toy Sales...

I would have agreed until the first movie did amazingly, and really put TFs back on the map, making it a recognised brand and intellectual property. GIJoe is still popular, but I think TFs may have eclisped it in terms of market support. Although that assumption could simply be based on what we've seen over here in Australia.

And when you consider that it was Bumblebee, and not a GIJoe character, that's on Hasbro's promotional images for their new channel - The Hub - I get the feeling that TFs may have become Hasbro's main boys toyline, or at least the one with the highest recognition within Hasbro's target market.

Someone said Star Wars, and it's true that Star Wars is a fairly big title for them, but it's not their title, rather they have to pay royalties to Lucasfilm, etc.