PDA

View Full Version : War For Cybertron Game Review

Pages : [1] 2

Autocon
20th June 2010, 01:12 AM
for those of us who have the game please rate it!!!

kaiden
20th June 2010, 04:20 PM
Played the first campaign for both Autobots and Decepticons.

Peter Cullen is still as good as ever. All other VAs kinda suck.

Dialogue/script sucks. it doesnt have the G1 cartoon cheesey epicness.

Combat is subpar.

Basically after playing that much i feel dirty inside and did not have fun. Hopefully multiplayer is different - but i doubt it.

kup
20th June 2010, 08:07 PM
Played the first campaign for both Autobots and Decepticons.

Peter Cullen is still as good as ever. All other VAs kinda suck.

Dialogue/script sucks. it doesnt have the G1 cartoon cheesey epicness.

Combat is subpar.

Basically after playing that much i feel dirty inside and did not have fun. Hopefully multiplayer is different - but i doubt it.

So are you saying that its actually a mediocre game despite all the hype?

kaiden
20th June 2010, 09:26 PM
So are you saying that its actually a mediocre game despite all the hype?

yeah. BUT i've only played the first chapter for both Autobots and Decepticons. so i havent got to parts like Omega Supreme and Trypticon.

but yeah if i were to keep on complaining i'd have to put in spoilers.

5FDP
20th June 2010, 09:50 PM
Geez, that doesn't sounds all that promising. I was kinda hoping first reviews would be along the lines of 'OMG.. BEST GAME EVA'.

Doubledealer
20th June 2010, 10:26 PM
As a huge fan of the Atari Transformers game, and having closely followed this games progress, I'd be very surprised if WFC isn't the ducks nuts of all Transformers games. Can't freakin' wait.

Dialogue/script sucks. it doesnt have the G1 cartoon cheesey epicness
Dialogue/script sucks? But you've only played the first chapter. And wasn't it fairly obvious early on in development they weren't going for 'cheesy epicness'?

kaiden
21st June 2010, 12:07 PM
Dialogue/script sucks? But you've only played the first chapter. And wasn't it fairly obvious early on in development they weren't going for 'cheesy epicness'?

Yes I've only played 2 chapters - but seriously midway through each chapter, I just wanted to stop playing and turn it off. But I felt I needed to complete them for the sake of it.

I played Iron man 2 from start to finish. And that game is just midless shooting.

in WFC I ran out of ammo really quickly and you can only carry 2 weapons at a time (plus detachable turret). melee was terrible - its one hit and isnt comboable.

the stages are quite linear so being in vehicle mode is only good for going down long paths. the interesting part was optimus primes wheels are actually also thrusters so they turn on their side and he can drive around freely.

And yes the dialogue/script sucks bad and if i've only played the first chapter and think this way - thats justified in itself. Games SHOULD make you want to play more right from the first chapter. this game didnt for me. I actually feel a bit sick thinking about turning on this game and trying to play it again.

I'm gonna go back to playing Mass Effect 2 most likely. I can understand why this game had a RRP of $80 instead of the usual $100+

Jetfire
21st June 2010, 12:11 PM
I actually feel a bit sick thinking about turning on this game and trying to play it again.

:confused:

Well, I've only just started the game.. but so far I really like what I've seen.. heres a few screenshots from the opening Decepticon campaign level.. just thought I would share (yes I'm excited by this game).. Will post more thoughts as I get more into the game..

I really like the amount of detail in the environment.

Transformer: War for Cybertron (720p on 120" screen)

http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/4018/photo1zu.jpg

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/4188/photo2kk.jpg

SamLoi888
21st June 2010, 09:11 PM
Transformer: War for Cybertron (720p on 120" screen)

120 inch screen???? Wtf?:confused:

Basically after playing that much i feel dirty inside and did not have fun.

YOU LIE!!!!

Stompy
21st June 2010, 10:44 PM
For the gamers out there the gunplay is similar to Gears Of War minus the cover system. It's just about as speedy although battles tend to be battle of attritions rather than tactics. The first chapter certainly isn't the most exciting way to open the game. With your alt mode rarely used since its all corridors with so many turns that the alt modes are nothing much but alternative weapons. Get to chapter 2 though and you get to take control of the classic seekers. Where the game areas are large with enough room to fly around. Don't expect dog style fighting. It's much much slower keeping the focus of gunplay similar to on ground as bots. But it just shows how the alt modes can provide a nice gameplay element so non-existant in the first level. Plus I couldn't resist playing as Skywarp.

The game actually has 3player co-op for the main campaign and each level have 3 main characters for the mission. So far the two chapters I've played are all set characters. Not sure if this will open up later for your own choosing. Each of the characters available have their own set of skills and abilities. The seekers for instance has Starscream as a very offensive gunner, with Skywarp being a scout with a cloaking field and Thundercracker able to to do some limited healing and spot cloaked enemies. I think the main campaign will be a lot more fun if played with friends in co-op mode. Otherwise standard 3rd person shooter fare made enjoyable by the use of the Transformers franchise.

The graphics so far have been great. Merging a lot of G1 and movie elements. Mainly G1 for the character designs and movie designs for the art direction of the environments and a lot of the sound effects. The art direction is very dark. They have given us a very mechanical gothic look for the environments which look fantastic. The audio side is decent. While the music is forgettable, the sound effects are great, triggering a lot of recognizable movie sound effects. The voices on the whole is not too bad. Peter Cullen shines as Prime but everyone else have new actors. Megatron sounds ok and whoever voiced Starscream did a decent job. Jetfire's Australian (I think it was Aussie anyway) accent was a nice surprise.

I've only played 2 levels and the levels themselves can get repetetive with some repeated corridors and structures but there are some great set pieces. In particular jumping thru space debris while aerialbots hail down fire or the fantastic set piece of a gunship involving dog fighting and destruction of. There's still 10 levels to go with the first 6 chapters compromising of the Decepticon campaign and the last six the Autobot campaign. Youc an jump straight to the autobot campaign but they are in chronological order and Autobot missions were designed to be played after the Decepticon missions.

I haven't tried multiplayer yet and also just 2 chapters in of the 12 shown. So this is just first impressions. The game is certainly miles better than the movie games but don't expect anything that will blow your socks off. But as a Transformer fan this is worth it. I'm not really versed into the canon and mythology with TF (I'm more of a toy engineering fan ;) ) but it appears to be before everything in G1. Eg. First chapter has Megatron meeting Starscream for the very first time along with Jetfire's presence with the seekers. In this regard the franchise will give the game an X factor for us fans. It won't excuse a bad game but this certainly isn't/ Far from it. It's still very enjoyable and I'm sure moreso in 3p co-op of the campaign.

I might post more the further I get in. Still waiting to see who else turns up. The extras section of the menu promises to unlock Slipstream and Arcee. So looking forward to that.

PS.
Jetfire:

I see you selected Barricade in the first chapter. I did too. ;) Although Brawl was certainyl tempting to play as.

Jetfire
22nd June 2010, 12:00 AM
120 inch screen???? Wtf?:confused:

It is a projector setup. In the second pic you can just make out an outline of a figure below Barricade under the screen if you zoom right in. That's a Cybertronian Bumblebee :)

Great review stompy and yes I did pick Barracade hah Brawl was tempting. I sank a few good hours into this tonight and I'm left pretty impressed.. A very solid effort so far. Reminds me of Halo gameplay especially with those ahh brutes. It's slick, explosive fun.

The amount of polish on this game has suprised me, and it's budget pricing doesn't reflect on the quality of the game at all IMHO

5FDP
22nd June 2010, 08:34 AM
...it's budget pricing doesn't reflect on the quality of the game at all IMHO

I was wondering about this last night - does anyone know why the game is selling for so cheap? Most games come out around the 100 dollar mark. Is it based on a percenatge of development costs or would the developer / distributor have enough financial backing to offer the game at this price in order to increase sales?

Jetfire
22nd June 2010, 09:18 AM
I was wondering about this last night - does anyone know why the game is selling for so cheap? Most games come out around the 100 dollar mark. Is it based on a percenatge of development costs or would the developer / distributor have enough financial backing to offer the game at this price in order to increase sales?

I wonder if the sale date starting in the last week of the financial year has something to do with it. I think your last point might be close to the truth. EB have dropped it from 79.99 to 59.99? 61 @ BigW that's great value.

There are no reviews out yet but I predict this game will be well received.

Sleeve
22nd June 2010, 09:46 AM
For the gamers out there the gunplay is similar to Gears Of War minus the cover system. It's just about as speedy although battles tend to be battle of attritions rather than tactics. The first chapter certainly isn't the most exciting way to open the game. With your alt mode rarely used since its all corridors with so many turns that the alt modes are nothing much but alternative weapons. Get to chapter 2 though and you get to take control of the classic seekers. Where the game areas are large with enough room to fly around. Don't expect dog style fighting. It's much much slower keeping the focus of gunplay similar to on ground as bots. But it just shows how the alt modes can provide a nice gameplay element so non-existant in the first level. Plus I couldn't resist playing as Skywarp.

The game actually has 3player co-op for the main campaign and each level have 3 main characters for the mission. So far the two chapters I've played are all set characters. Not sure if this will open up later for your own choosing. Each of the characters available have their own set of skills and abilities. The seekers for instance has Starscream as a very offensive gunner, with Skywarp being a scout with a cloaking field and Thundercracker able to to do some limited healing and spot cloaked enemies. I think the main campaign will be a lot more fun if played with friends in co-op mode. Otherwise standard 3rd person shooter fare made enjoyable by the use of the Transformers franchise.

The graphics so far have been great. Merging a lot of G1 and movie elements. Mainly G1 for the character designs and movie designs for the art direction of the environments and a lot of the sound effects. The art direction is very dark. They have given us a very mechanical gothic look for the environments which look fantastic. The audio side is decent. While the music is forgettable, the sound effects are great, triggering a lot of recognizable movie sound effects. The voices on the whole is not too bad. Peter Cullen shines as Prime but everyone else have new actors. Megatron sounds ok and whoever voiced Starscream did a decent job. Jetfire's Australian (I think it was Aussie anyway) accent was a nice surprise.

I've only played 2 levels and the levels themselves can get repetetive with some repeated corridors and structures but there are some great set pieces. In particular jumping thru space debris while aerialbots hail down fire or the fantastic set piece of a gunship involving dog fighting and destruction of. There's still 10 levels to go with the first 6 chapters compromising of the Decepticon campaign and the last six the Autobot campaign. Youc an jump straight to the autobot campaign but they are in chronological order and Autobot missions were designed to be played after the Decepticon missions.

I haven't tried multiplayer yet and also just 2 chapters in of the 12 shown. So this is just first impressions. The game is certainly miles better than the movie games but don't expect anything that will blow your socks off. But as a Transformer fan this is worth it. I'm not really versed into the canon and mythology with TF (I'm more of a toy engineering fan ;) ) but it appears to be before everything in G1. Eg. First chapter has Megatron meeting Starscream for the very first time along with Jetfire's presence with the seekers. In this regard the franchise will give the game an X factor for us fans. It won't excuse a bad game but this certainly isn't/ Far from it. It's still very enjoyable and I'm sure moreso in 3p co-op of the campaign.

I might post more the further I get in. Still waiting to see who else turns up. The extras section of the menu promises to unlock Slipstream and Arcee. So looking forward to that.

PS.
Jetfire:

I see you selected Barricade in the first chapter. I did too. ;) Although Brawl was certainyl tempting to play as.

You've played the exact amount I have, and pretty much said everything I was going to say. :D Though I played as Brawl on the first level. I'm playing through on hard (considering I've been gaming for over 20 years, I figured it the right choice) but I'll be honest in saying I've died. A lot. Sometimes I've just had to hold back in a corner and snipe away at bots because as soon as you get surrounded by three of them, it's over in seconds.

I did log in to multiplayer, not to play it but to check out the character customisation. There's a fair bit you can do in terms of equipped abilities, and more will open as you progress through single-player campaign and also building XP in multiplayer, as well as more character models, but where it really lacks is the colour choices. You can only pick two colours for your character, with the choice limited to five 'primary' colours and then their surrounding 'shades'. Autobots have bright colours like blue, green, yellow and red; Decepticons have darker colours like purple, grey, teal etc. It's pretty much Windows 98 colour pallette which is a shame, though I can understand if they wanted to restrict certain colours to each faction so in multiplayer you're not confused as to who you're shooting.

Apart from that, loving the game. Now I'm wishing the next seven hours of work fly by so I can get home and start my weekend. :D

5FDP
22nd June 2010, 10:06 AM
Part of the review to be posted on GamesMaster has been leaked (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=252718) with WFC scoring a respectable 83%.

kup
22nd June 2010, 11:26 AM
Part of the review to be posted on GamesMaster has been leaked (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=252718) with WFC scoring a respectable 83%.

I just read that. There is also this Dutch publication which rated it at 88%.

I will wait to see what Gamespot says to see if they rate it along the same margin but I have lost a bit of faith in their reviewing/scoring system due to suspected 'favoritism'.

blackoptimus
22nd June 2010, 11:53 AM
Please ignore my opinion. Buy away fella's.....

1AZRAEL1
22nd June 2010, 11:59 AM
Best review is ones own.

I do look at reviews, but make up my own opinion when I play it. Same goes with movies.

Hereticpoo
22nd June 2010, 12:03 PM
WFC is no Killzone or Halo but its a good fun arcade style shooter.

Before you play for the first time the PS3 version install takes 10-15 mins to copy itself to the harddrive. Go make a coffee and tell the mrs you'll be unavailable for a few hours.

Take some time to play with the control scheme, you can even customise it if something feels a little off.

WFC is not a game that is going to blow your mind in the first 5 mins. High Moon have really taken an effort to tell a story, so the first few levels are full of in game cutscenes and conversations between the bots.

If you can be a little patient and let yourself relax and take in the story WFC will prove to be a game worthy of your time. There's more character development in the first 10 mins than there was in the whole ROTF movie....

Ammo and Health: Take the time to explore and you'll find plenty of smashable crates full of ammo and health. I played on medium difficulty and was ignoring plenty of pickups. Its abundant if you look.

Vehicle modes: Very cool and powerful weapons. A great moment for me was team death match multiplayer. Strafed 2 guys taking cover while in bot mode, transformed into tank mode and annihilated both guys with the tank turret as Warpath. Was very cool. Guys playing as jets will up and fly away, scouts will pop out of nowhere and dagger kill you, and trucks will buff team mates with extra firepower and powerful melee.

I've barley scratched the surface myself and its so packed with features WFC will take a few sessions to get a grasp of. But thats a good thing because i plan to play it til it melts in my console! :)

bassbot
22nd June 2010, 12:43 PM
wow, great to read the different opinions. I've got holidays coming in a couple of weeks and may get it then, just a budget issue at the moment really.

Sleeve
22nd June 2010, 12:45 PM
Before you play for the first time the PS3 version install takes 10-15 mins to copy itself to the harddrive. Go make a coffee and tell the mrs you'll be unavailable for a few hours.

The second time I booted it took a couple of minutes to load the main menu screen, with the message 'Checking...' and a status circle on screen.

There's more character development in the first 10 mins than there was in the whole ROTF movie....

So very, very true.

kaiden
22nd June 2010, 12:48 PM
I wonder if the sale date starting in the last week of the financial year has something to do with it. I think your last point might be close to the truth. EB have dropped it from 79.99 to 59.99? 61 @ BigW that's great value.

There are no reviews out yet but I predict this game will be well received.

is that true about EB?

Gutsman Heavy
22nd June 2010, 12:49 PM
The game is average in pretty much all respects, but I'll be dammed if I'm not having fun! Great for TF fans, but that's about all.

I quite liked the dialogue, I was playing as Thundercracker and Skywarp saying I should figure out the way past the door 'cos I'm the brainy one was pretty cool.
Actually I rather liked the dialogue between the seekers, Starscream mocking Skywarps stupidity, and his pitiful attempts at a comeback, TC getting picked on by SW for his intelligence etc.

Fan Boi score: 8/10
Gamer score: 6/10

Jetfire
22nd June 2010, 02:01 PM
is that true about EB?

You know I was looking at it last night, I think on the ebgames website it had 79.99 crossed out and 59.99.. Not sure what I was looking at now, but either way.. if BigW is selling it for $61 I will take it back and price match that (within 7 days).

Sleeve
22nd June 2010, 02:18 PM
You know I was looking at it last night, I think on the ebgames website it had 79.99 crossed out and 59.99.. Not sure what I was looking at now, but either way.. if BigW is selling it for $61 I will take it back and price match that (within 7 days).

Or get them to price-match themselves seeing as how they're advertising it for that price. I'm surprised EB are doing it so cheap, especailly cheaper than Big W.

Bartrim
22nd June 2010, 03:36 PM
The game is average in pretty much all respects, but I'll be dammed if I'm not having fun! Great for TF fans, but that's about all.

I quite liked the dialogue, I was playing as Thundercracker and Skywarp saying I should figure out the way past the door 'cos I'm the brainy one was pretty cool.
Actually I rather liked the dialogue between the seekers, Starscream mocking Skywarps stupidity, and his pitiful attempts at a comeback, TC getting picked on by SW for his intelligence etc.

Fan Boi score: 8/10
Gamer score: 6/10

Sounds like it'll be good enough for me:D

5FDP
23rd June 2010, 08:41 AM
The review from IGN (http://ps3.ign.com/articles/110/1101052p1.html) is up and WFC scored a very respectable 90%.

Sleeve
23rd June 2010, 10:04 AM
Without giving away any spoilers, there are some interesting tidbits in the Concept Art extra once you've finished Campaign. Given the amount of detail in some of the characters, I wouldn't be surprised if we saw them as part of DLC.

sanbot
23rd June 2010, 10:25 AM
I no I shouldn't but I'm getting excited about this one. From all I've heard WFC is far superior to all the previous TF games and after reading the IGN review I'm convinced.

I get the impression though, that this won't sell as well even though its a better game.

bassbot
23rd June 2010, 10:30 AM
tformers.com has their review up now as well.

looks encouraging as a game, but especially for fans.

TheFallen
23rd June 2010, 10:35 AM
I don't know what the PS3/Xbox version is like but the Wii version is not very good at all. I have so far done 25% of the Decepticon campaign and it can be summed up with this;

Vehicle Mode: Drive/Fly, Shoot, Repeat
Robot Mode: Duck, Shoot, Repeat

You can not Transform at will, it is either Vehicle Mode or Robot Mode. I shouldn't be too picky. If I wanted an in depth gaming experience I wouldn't have a Wii, I would have a PS3/Xbox instead :)

Thanatos
23rd June 2010, 11:29 AM
XBOX360:

Now this particular instance of interests clashing is an example of why I love both Transformers and Video games. I've played through both TF movie games, neither of which really sort of pandered to my attention to story telling. War for Cybertron changes all that. Not only are the toys amazing (go now and buy Optimus and Bumblebee, and tell me that you can wait for Megatron/Soundwave. I know I can't), but the designs feels like a perfect mix between movie, pre-earth, animated and G1.

As a game, I agree it has its faults. I've just finished the Decepticon Campaign this morning, and there was little to no challenge in finishing it. Admittedly, I was playing on the Normal difficulty setting, but after trying the hard mode, I've realised this is a game to be finished, not a game to challenge you.

Multiplayer is a fanwank dream. Customisable Weapons, Names, Colours and Chassis offer a unique experience in a third person shooter. While the COD games are obviously superior multiplayer games, the way that WfC takes aspects of the most popular shooters (Killzone, Halo, Cod etc.) and recreates them in a 3rd person environment is refreshing, impressive, and makes me wish I still had Unreal Tournament :P.

Controls are fluid, especially the transformation. As a Jet in multiplayer, it is completely reasonable to fly right to an enemy, transform, beat him to death with a mace, and fly off before anybody has noticed. In a transformers game this is critical!

My disappointments are simply a lack of varied gameplay and the multiplayer colour schemes (I get that Autobots are colourful and Decepticons aren't, but give me a full colour pallete!).

In summary:

Presentation
The interface and presentation of War for Cybertron is amazing, both as a gamer, and exceptional as a transformers fan. The story is a little thin but all non-comic/book stories in Transformers sort of are, aren't they?

Graphics
I love this design of character personally, but as I'm running HDMI for my Xbox, the graphics look pretty damned amazing. Not Halo running at 1080p, but definately up to the current gen standards.

Sound
Repetitive but all shooters are. Orchestrated music is appropriately epic.

Gameplay
One of the biggest problems with this genre (third person) is that you can usually wind up travelling at an incredibly standstill pace. It happened in Batman Arkham Asylum (which by the way is an amazing game even if it takes to long to get around its tiny world map), but seeings as your ready to transform into transport mode, the pace is much better suited to the amount of action. Definately won't get boring soon.

Lasting Appeal
Well, to be honest, once I finish the campaign there's a real chance I'll never play through it again, unless I feel the need to play with different characters or on the harder setting. That said, the Decepticon campaign took me about 5 hours, so I'm going to guess the Autobot campaign is about the same. Thats 10 hours worth of gaming, Escalation (which is fun but surprisingly hard sometimes), and multiplayer, and if you plan on unlocking 12 classes by bringing all types of Transformer to level 10 in Multiplayer, I can imagine there's a good 40-50 hours entertainment.

Overall

As a transformer fan, I'm so happy about this game. It does everything right that a video game should, everything right as a franchise reboot, and overall, doesn't have that horrible rushed quality the movie games had. If you love transformers and can keep pace with the regular shooters in todays market, you'll love this, just like me, and give it 9/10. However as an objective video game player who understands that one of the main reasons I love this game is the skin, I have to give it 8/10, realising that it's a great game, but if it was another franchise or just generic transforming robots it would still be great, just not as much.

Jetfire
23rd June 2010, 11:33 AM
More reviews..

360 GameRankings (http://www.gamerankings.com/xbox360/981363-transformers-war-for-cybertron/index.html) average 86.86

Gaming Trend 94/100
http://www.gamingtrend.com/Reviews/review/review.php?ReviewID=1452

Gaming Nexus A-
http://www.gamingnexus.com/Article/Transformers-War-for-Cybertron/Item2686.aspx

Planet Xbox360 8.8/10
http://www.planetxbox360.com/article_10980/Transformers_War_for_Cybertron_Review

PS3 GameRankings (http://www.gamerankings.com/ps3/981364-transformers-war-for-cybertron/index.html)average 83.20

Cheat Code Central 3.8/5
http://www.cheatcc.com/ps3/rev/transformerswarforcybertronreview.html

1Up B+
http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3180025&p=37

Game Informer 8.5/10

GamePro 4/5

Doubledealer
23rd June 2010, 07:52 PM
My copy for the Xbox 360 arrived at 7am this morning (was woken by what sounded like the fist of an angry god beating at my door) and I've spent a few hours throughout the day putting it through its paces.

The first chapter is very much a loosener. You can see the promise and it looks the business, but it also leaves a bit to be desired. The next chapter though? It's a 150km torpedo right up in the block hole!! I was blown away by just how great a job High Moon have done with this level, and I'd go so far as to say it's worth buying the game for alone - It's just that goddamn good! I won't spoil anything for those who haven't played it yet, but wow. Just, WOW. Some of the things you can do are just too cool. :D

I chose to play as Skywarp during chapter 2 and loved some of the freedom when tackling the rooms. In one part, I shotgunned a 'bot in the back, blasted another 'bot who was using a turrent in the distance, activated cloaking, jumped up & transformed then flew to the turret, yoinked it off then proceeded to blast more guys inside...This kinda stuff is what WFC is all about and it's handled brilliantly.

I've just started the 3rd chapter and while I'd be surprised if it (or future levels for that matter) can improve on the last incredibly fun chapter, this game is already a huge winner in my books. These guys HAVE to make more Transformers games after this!!

Stompy
23rd June 2010, 07:58 PM
The game is indeed fantastic. It just gets better the further you progress. The gunplay has its own feel. A mix between Halo and a tiny bit of Gears Of War.

The boss battles are the business in this game though. I won't spoil any but it's all a pleasure! ;) Casette fans will be VERY happy too. All has been catered for.

Also well done for the script writers. The chatter between the bots in game brings out so much personality and humour.

Doubledealer
23rd June 2010, 08:39 PM
It gets even better? :eek: Is that even possible?? :D

Good point about the in-game chatter Stompster, it really adds an extra layer of immersion and makes you feel like you're taking part in an episode from a cartoon, not just piloting some mindless drones.

Can't wait to experience some of these boss fights...Must pace myself though so it's not all over in the blink of an eye. :rolleyes:

Robzy
23rd June 2010, 08:39 PM
I don't know what the PS3/Xbox version is like but the Wii version is not very good at all. I have so far done 25% of the Decepticon campaign and it can be summed up with this;

Vehicle Mode: Drive/Fly, Shoot, Repeat
Robot Mode: Duck, Shoot, Repeat

You just summed up every Wii "action" game ever made :p

Still, I'm looking forward to getting the Wii version too.

Doubledealer
23rd June 2010, 09:04 PM
It's also worth noting for those with 360 and PS3's, the 360 version offers 1080P. :D

Mr Ed
23rd June 2010, 09:27 PM
I got the game on Monday and I love it!

I've been playing multiplayer and its been quite good!

foor
23rd June 2010, 09:44 PM
Brilliant game! And Rumble is officially BLUE/PURPLE in this! :D

Rumble: "First we crack the shell, then we crack the nuts inside!"

kaiden
24th June 2010, 08:04 AM
Finished both Autobot and Decepticon campaigns and was really disappointed.

SINGLE PLAYER

-Voices acters are probably doing the best they can, but the script is terrible and i feel the casting was just weird. I would have liked the original voice actors from G1 for the roles but there's no point talking about that further.

-Gameplay is straight foward, shoot this, open that door/control and continue on. The flying stages were probably the best as it offered a lot of freedom in movement. though it annoys me that flying vehicles are the only ones to have unlimited ammo in both machine guns and rockets yet land vehices dont.

Stage design was really good. but the obstacles you have to overcome to get from point A to B gets boring and repetative. weapon design is avaerage - the worst weapon for me was the grenade launcher. in tank mode the cannon can even miss at point blank which always pisses me off.

Boss battles felt very lacking - like they were missing command prompted action sequences.

in the end, i played the campaign only to unlock the 2 characters arcee and slipstream and just wanted to go play multiplayer.
the campaign is also short for about 6-10hrs depending on difficulty.

I do not recommend this game purely for single player - especially at full retail.

MULTIPLAYER

I've played about 2 nights worth - mostly against dkaris and it is really fun. There are four classes to customize. The colour selection sucks.

The multiplayer lobbies are terribly designied. you cant edit options or choose teams. there are no mini maps so finding your friends and enemies can be difficult sometimes making it hard to tell where battles are from the sound. i try to ear headphones to make it easier to tell but it doesnt help much.

so far i've only played Team Death Match so i wont comment on the other modes.

Escalation mode is different from multiplayer in that you team up for survival mode. you cant choose to start as autobots or decepticons or at least i havent found the option to do so.

the biggest problem is there is no offline multiplayer.

I am betting on future DLC like maps and character skins. I saw dead end in the concept art as well as a few other characters that i did not recognise.

FINAL SCORE

7/10 overall.

5FDP
24th June 2010, 09:07 AM
I picked up the game last night and played it for about an hour (after the 20 min install :eek:).

Still haven't made my mind up about how good this game is based on the fact that I only played it for about an hour. For me, if a game is great, I find it hard to put it down e.g. Uncharted. I didn't have any problems switching off my PS3 after a brief session.

I'll give it more of a chance this weekend when I have more time to myself. From what I have heard / read, it becomes more engrossing as the story continues.

I will say this though - for the price that I picked it up for ($59 from JB), it's a win-win situation.

kup
24th June 2010, 10:47 AM
IGN gave War for Cybertron a score of 9

Video Review (http://au.xbox360.ign.com/dor/objects/54928/transformers-war-for-cybertron/videos/trans_cyber_vdr_062210.html)

1AZRAEL1
24th June 2010, 10:48 AM
Saw a picture of Ramjet (http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/hasbro-update-war-for-cybertron-ds-ramjet-revealed/18984/) you can download for the DS, but probably not in this country. Does anyone know if we can download stuff like this for our DS's here? I know in the US they have 'download sites' in stores you can get them from, but do we have anything like that here?

Edit: I think you can unlock him in the Decepticons game. I do say I like the look of him.

Towers_Spy
24th June 2010, 12:38 PM
Thanatos, I agree with pretty much everything you've written, but for a few exceptions.

I've finished both campaigns on normal difficulty and I have to say I did really like it. Although I managed to do it in 2 days, I think its a game that I am likely to play again, or go through and try to get all the achievements. I liked the gameplay, weapons, designs etc. Playing as the jets was amazing, but that said there wasn't really much you could do with them (I wanted backflips and stuff haha but maybe that would be a bit much). The world designs I found to be so rich though that I got lost at times :p but they are pretty damn cool. I wasn't so sure about the shooter's view though, took me a while to get used to being side-on to the crosshairs rather than straight on like other shooters I'm used to. But it does add another dimension to the gameplay.

Overall, I really liked it. My only gripe is the multiplayer, and its a big gripe seeing as its such a huge part of the game. IMHO, and I'm sorry if anyone takes offence to this, but it seems to me like the designers created the multiplayer for people who have no friends play alone, and/or with anonymous people on the internet. It seems to me, in the case of Xbox 360 anyway, like they took a huge risk making it only possible to play multiplayer with friends IF you have 1) an xbox/console each, 2) a game each and 3) a xbox live gold membership. There's a fair bit of money needed here if you want to have, say a TF WFC party at your house... like I did. Why no Guest ability like Halo? Why must campaign co op be online only? Did not like.

That said, playing online solo was pretty fun, designing your own characters was also cool, and the points/abilities system was pretty good.

I'd give it 6/10 in terms of an actual game, but 8.5/10 for fans. I loved the narrator, some of the bot designs, the names of the achievements, the nemesis - so many tips of the hat to G1 and other continuums. A game that I just want to keep playing despite the shortcomings I found.

VERT
24th June 2010, 01:08 PM
Or get them to price-match themselves seeing as how they're advertising it for that price. I'm surprised EB are doing it so cheap, especailly cheaper than Big W.

My EB was selling it for $79.95 and JB $75 yesterday but it only cost me $2 after trade-in.

Now to put it bluntly I suck at games like this. I have a hard time on easy level. But I really am enjoying it so far. :D

Autocon
24th June 2010, 02:45 PM
dunno where autocon is up to but im brawl with megs n barra jumping across some damaged pieces floating in outerspace. the colour is dull. all bots are dark and the wall floor cieling are all pretty much the same colour. gameplay is same about other average shooters not like halo 1 but im only a lil way into it.

kaiden
24th June 2010, 04:20 PM
Overall, I really liked it. My only gripe is the multiplayer, and its a big gripe seeing as its such a huge part of the game. IMHO, and I'm sorry if anyone takes offence to this, but it seems to me like the designers created the multiplayer for people who have no friends play alone, and/or with anonymous people on the internet. It seems to me, in the case of Xbox 360 anyway, like they took a huge risk making it only possible to play multiplayer with friends IF you have 1) an xbox/console each, 2) a game each and 3) a xbox live gold membership. There's a fair bit of money needed here if you want to have, say a TF WFC party at your house... like I did. Why no Guest ability like Halo? Why must campaign co op be online only? Did not like.

yeah that is what i forgot to mention specifically. i would have liked split screen co-op and escalation mode. 4 player multiplayer would have been a bit much to ask considering its not as polished as halo/cod

The one thing that bugs me the most is in one of the interviews, some guy says this is the Transformers game they've been waiting to play their whole life! And i just have to say bullshit. this is a good game but way too unpolished, seriously i could make it better.

the ultimate transformers game would have to a MMO! and virtual reality so i can fulfill my desperate desires to be a real transformer.

Saintly
24th June 2010, 06:21 PM
the thing I hated most was the installation time on the PS3... did it really take 15minutes to install??

Anyway, everything else is ok so far considering I only played for 15minutes lastnight after 9pm. Had to get up at 5am this morning!

MV75
24th June 2010, 09:21 PM
I just finished chapter 6 (first autobot chapter).

I don't know how the console versions are, but on the pc, there are 10 chapers with 10 "stages" in each.

The first autobot one had a group of optimus, bumblebee and ratchet, you chose one to play, I went ratchet. It's all action action action. Encountered soundwave, he ejected some things, I don't really know what happened there, just some more fighting. Ironhide showed up at a point and saved us, and at the end we shot the crap out of starscream. He ended up fleeing.

Controls, I thought I'd be playing on my xbox controller....... no way! The mouse/keyboard rules this game. The controller was too hard. I was quite surprised. Probably because there was no aim assist, or that I'm not used to using both sticks at the same time, I've only used my controller for driving games.

Graphics are amazing, consoles will never know 1920x1080 resolution. I left the graphics on its default of medium quality, and even that was great. The in game was better looking than the cuts. And not a hint of slowdown, very fast and smooth. Oh yea, it uses the unreal engine. That's why I can get kick arse graphics and get them fast.

Whoever decided to not let this game into the country on pc is a f'ing moron. Best arcade shooter game in quite a while. I'm telling ya, this is finally a good transformers game. Future games need to use this as a basis. Promising fps and fps/rpg can be built on this. Sure it's not the best game in the universe, but it's the best tf game ever made.

Doubledealer
24th June 2010, 11:20 PM
Controls, I thought I'd be playing on my xbox controller....... no way! The mouse/keyboard rules this game. The controller was too hard. I was quite surprised. Probably because there was no aim assist, or that I'm not used to using both sticks at the same time, I've only used my controller for driving games.

Graphics are amazing, consoles will never know 1920x1080 resolution. I left the graphics on its default of medium quality, and even that was great. The in game was better looking than the cuts. And not a hint of slowdown, very fast and smooth. Oh yea, it uses the unreal engine. That's why I can get kick arse graphics and get them fast.

X360 WFC is in 1920x1080 resolution, as are most games for the console, and it's been that way for a loooong time.

kup
25th June 2010, 12:58 AM
X360 WFC is in 1920x1080 resolution, as are most games for the console, and it's been that way for a loooong time.

Yeah the last generation of consoles have been able to do that but the PC has been doing it for much longer :p

Stompy
25th June 2010, 01:27 AM
Finished the game yesterday. That was an awesome final 2 levels for both campaigns. Especially loved the Aerialbots level. My biggest gripe is the length. I want more!!! The story told is a small portion of the story, but the character chatter covers a lot of character backstory which was nice. The story told is a little too intimate. If there was another say 3 more missions for each campaign covering just a handful more of characters I think it'd be perfect. Also the final battle I was expecting didn't happen. So it kinda felt a little empty and cliffhanger like without *THAT* battle.

I thoroughly enjoyed it. I doubt I will play multiplayer outside of co-op though. So half the game is lost on me. I can highly reccomend it to any TF fan. For gamers this is a good diversion if a bit short, but there's multi, so that can pad out the value of the game for you. But for the price of a Voayger + $10, you can't go wrong. Nicely polished with just a couple of annoying bugs, I'd say this is the best TF game out (although I've never played the Armada game on PS2).

MV75
25th June 2010, 07:08 AM

Opps, I should have added higher (larger) texture sizes to that. :)

Bartrim
25th June 2010, 07:47 AM
Finished the game yesterday. That was an awesome final 2 levels for both campaigns. Especially loved the Aerialbots level. My biggest gripe is the length. I want more!!!.

Here's hoping for another game in the future:)

I finally got it yesterday and started playing the campaign in chronological order. Took me a while to get used to the crosshairs off to the side (every now and then I would stand straight on to someone and open fire and wonder why they didn't die). But I love this game. Completed the first level as Brawl... loved transforming into a tank and blasting some bot a mile why. Completed the second level as Skywarp. I loved the seeker banter:D. Started level 3 as Soundwave and got a real kick out of using that shield thing as we got backed into a corner with some cloakers shooting at us.

I would of liked a bit more story like Starscream showing some doubt first not just "Oh you can use dark energon. Let me join you". Love Jetfire's accent too. Overall I am having a ball playing this game mainly due to the fact it's a transformers game. But still for $20 after trade in I'm as happy as a pig in ....:D

Bartrim
25th June 2010, 08:09 AM
Oh I was going to ask is the narrator the same guy who did G1 because if it isn't he does bloody good impression of him?:)

snaketales
25th June 2010, 10:49 AM
I got the Wii version and from what I've read of other formats it's very streamlined.
No character selection available: each stage you start as a predetermined character (i.e the first Autobot stage you are Sideswipe, Megatron in the first Decepticon one) but even worse you can't transform! The game will transform you for the driving/flying stages but that's it. The Transformers movie game had many faults but at least in that one you could transform whenever you wanted.
To me there's nothing uniquely "Transformers" about the game. It could be about any alien race in a civil war.
Having said all that I do like the game and more importantly so do my kids. I just wish the Wii version could have had more to it.

Bartrim
25th June 2010, 11:01 AM
One thng I was going to mention. Is this supposed to be in G1 canon? I thought I saw one of the interviews where that was mentioned. Then how does "dark" energon fit into G1 because I've never heard of it.

Sleeve
25th June 2010, 12:46 PM
One thng I was going to mention. Is this supposed to be in G1 canon? I thought I saw one of the interviews where that was mentioned. Then how does "dark" energon fit into G1 because I've never heard of it.

I've lost track of what canon it is. I read of TFW2005 yesterday about a short story from Alex Irvine that explains how BB lost his voice and it sets up the Movie universe (http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/other-news-20/war-for-cybertron-short-story-explains-how-bumblebee-lost-his-voice-170019/), yet I thought this had nothing to do with Movie and moreso G1, especially since IDW set up the backstory for Movie universe.

i_amtrunks
25th June 2010, 03:44 PM
The Transformers movie game had many faults but at least in that one you could transform whenever you wanted.

But in that turd of a game, you could only transform to utilise a slightly better than useless "special attack" and then you returned straight back to robot mode.

kaiden
25th June 2010, 05:33 PM
But in that turd of a game, you could only transform to utilise a slightly better than useless "special attack" and then you returned straight back to robot mode.

lol, i remember playing the tutorial and i was like why do i need to climb? climbing is not fun...

i_amtrunks
25th June 2010, 07:52 PM
Okay played about 45 minutes of the Wii version, and I am 50% of the way through the Autobot campaign, so this certainly is not a long game...

Love the designs, and the pre-rendered video sequences are beautiful, but then the ingame sequences begin and the quality goes with them. The character models are still good, the texture maps are very nice, Sideswipe and Ratchet looked very good, and Air-Raid looked fantastic, we need some WFC version toys for these characters!

Wii game is too on rails for my liking, you can sometimes shoot enemies while being moved along, and other times you cannot, which gets kinda annoying. The driving/flying sections can be annoying too, as you want to take out the Jets who are peppering you with mines, but you cant, you have to shoot down barricades that do a fair whack of damage to you.

Autocon
25th June 2010, 09:44 PM
finished dcon campaign rather enjoyable, could have made flying chapter more difficult with timing and stuff puzzles, i just boosted all the way.

core teams
Megatron
Soundwave
Brawl
Breakdown
Barricade
Slipstream
who are the others? red car, blue thing, and who was the red autobot massive tank?

would like more concept art for the generic bots, cool art i thought:D

OrionPax
26th June 2010, 10:11 AM
Saw a picture of Ramjet (http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/hasbro-update-war-for-cybertron-ds-ramjet-revealed/18984/) you can download for the DS, but probably not in this country. Does anyone know if we can download stuff like this for our DS's here? I know in the US they have 'download sites' in stores you can get them from, but do we have anything like that here?

Edit: I think you can unlock him in the Decepticons game. I do say I like the look of him.

well romulation is a good source but i think all their roms have been taken off as of yesterday. But don't download it, BUT IT! Its worth it. The main campaign might be pretty short but there are also bonus missions featuring decepticons (in autobot version that is).
And yes, you can unlock decepticons in game from story and arena mode. They are only playable in arena, local wi-fi and bonus missions modes.

Gutsman Heavy
26th June 2010, 02:06 PM
Multi is good fun! Its not easy to make decent custom characters, but some of my better efforts are Wasp, G2 Breakdown, Darkwing, Ultra Magnus, Hoist & Snap Trap

k.wong23
26th June 2010, 02:09 PM
Picked up the PS3 version seeing we will never get it on Pc; bloody brilliant so far! Still going through Chapter 1 :)

autobreadticon
26th June 2010, 03:45 PM
since i only know PC , maybe order it from playasia

other cool stuff u can purchase

Transformers Animated Pre-Painted Gashapon
Transformers: Cybertron Guide US$ 19.90
oh yeah don't forget Girl Generation :D

kup
27th June 2010, 09:48 AM
Gamespot has given War for Cybertron a really bad and negative review. The reviewer gave the game a 6.5 but the way he carries on it seems that he hated it completely.

In the reviews forum section, users are posting in outrage as apparently the review is so full of factual errors and inconsistencies to the actual game, that it seems as if the Reviewer played another game altogether.

http://au.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/transformerswarforcybertron/review.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=gssummary&tag=summary;read-review

Most review sites have given the game some decent scores so it seems that this guy may have set out to hate the game to begin with.

http://au.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/transformerswarforcybertron/show_msgs.php?topic_id=m-1-55354132&pid=981363&page=0

sifun
27th June 2010, 11:20 AM
Loving the PC version, 1900x1200 resolution goodness :D
looks fantastic-
So far played one chapter, quite impressed.

5FDP
27th June 2010, 11:25 AM
I listen more to gamer reviews rather than publications like Gamespot. You always get a better indication on what a game is like from a gamers perspective than some self-proclaimed expert who sits behind his / her desk and will only play the game once because they have to.

If you look at the user score on Gamespot, there has been 560 people rate the game for an average of 8.9. I'd say the opinions of Tom Mc Shea are in the minority.

Sleeve
27th June 2010, 11:39 AM
Multi is good fun! Its not easy to make decent custom characters, but some of my better efforts are Wasp, G2 Breakdown, Darkwing, Ultra Magnus, Hoist & Snap Trap

Love to see some pics of them.

Stompy
27th June 2010, 01:24 PM
Just remember that an "official" review (like from Gamespot and IGN etc etc) is one persons point of view on the game. Also one which they are entitled to. Remember too that each of the websites have their own target demographics and slides the scale towards said audience.

Best way to deal with reviews is read a variety of them. I highly suggest Metacritic.com for an average score across all major websites and read a few. Not just the high scoring ones. Read a high scoring one, a middling one and a low scoring one. You'll get a better general idea as a whole between all you have read. Then go and check out user comments/reviews. Eg. Everyone's own impressions and reviews in this thread and other forums. Read what gamers say and also read what fans of the particular franchise say. Me bing a gamer would only rate WfC as a game at 7/10 but as a TF fan I give it an 8.

Basing a purchase on one review alone is not a good indication. We all have our own sub/objectivities when it comes to anything so take it with a grain of salt and research research research. There's demo's and video's easily available so be a little independent because in the end it is you who will be making the decision on spending the money.

i_amtrunks
27th June 2010, 02:40 PM
In the reviews forum section, users are posting in outrage as apparently the review is so full of factual errors and inconsistencies to the actual game, that it seems as if the Reviewer played another game altogether.

He might have been playing Cybertron Adventures on the Wii... :D

Gutsman Heavy
27th June 2010, 02:42 PM
Can't trust gamespot anyway, they fired a guy for giving a bad game a bad review because it was being heavily advertised on the site. Obviously gamespot weren't getting paid enough to give it a better score :D

kup
27th June 2010, 03:31 PM
Loving the PC version, 1900x1200 resolution goodness :D
looks fantastic-
So far played one chapter, quite impressed.

How did you get it?

i_amtrunks
28th June 2010, 12:52 PM
Had a couple of mates play Cybertron Adventures, they too felt it was a bit too simplistic, and healing while behind cover was too quick, but they enjoyed it, worth a hire for a night, but I wouldnt pay more than about $30 for it.

Now they have both been convinced to buy the PS3 version...muhahaha.

Doubledealer
28th June 2010, 05:07 PM
Just finished the game, what a ride! I felt that playing on hard was the perfect challenge for the most part - their were a few tricky parts here and there eg. Defending Omega Supreme but overall it was really nicely balanced and most importantly, a helluva lot of fun! :D just one negative, where is the split-screen multiplayer + Escalation?? Come on, Gears of War 1 did it, why not a game that comes out years later that uses the same engine? Here's hoping it will be in the 2nd game and include some of the maps from WFC!

MV75
28th June 2010, 09:33 PM
Alright. I just finished the decepticon campaign. It "felt" longer than the autobot one, but character choice was far fewer. I made it a point to not go the "leader" or the "scout side kick" but whatever else was available, so;

I went brawl, skywarp, soundwave, soundwave, soundwave.

The decepticon campaign was more interesting, but the autobots had more character choices.

Funniest thing was watching breakdown get smashed by the trains and respawn. Repeatedly. :)

kup
28th June 2010, 10:05 PM
Had a couple of mates play Cybertron Adventures, they too felt it was a bit too simplistic, and healing while behind cover was too quick, but they enjoyed it, worth a hire for a night, but I wouldnt pay more than about $30 for it.

Now they have both been convinced to buy the PS3 version...muhahaha.

People are suspecting that the Gamespot reviewer actually played that version of the game as the issues he addresses appear to be unique to that version.

primetime
28th June 2010, 10:20 PM
Gamespot has given War for Cybertron a really bad and negative review. The reviewer gave the game a 6.5 but the way he carries on it seems that he hated it completely.

Dunno why all the negative review - I've completed the game and I have to say it is the best Transformers game we had in years and stays true to the G1 styling and story line - albeit with High Moon's own take on it.

No spoilers here but suffice to say that if there is anything bad about the game is that it may be altogether too short for some people and your allies AI is real bad in helping you out and that certain mission require certain robots!

Doubledealer
29th June 2010, 02:07 PM
I think people complaining about the games length aren't playing in hard mode. Man up people! :p

Bartrim
29th June 2010, 02:16 PM
I'm not complaining about the length but the lack of chances to play certain characters. Like if you want you use all the seekers then you have to play the second level 3 times. I would of liked a chance to play the game through once and use all the different characters.

Doubledealer
29th June 2010, 02:58 PM
I'm not complaining about the length but the lack of chances to play certain characters. Like if you want you use all the seekers then you have to play the second level 3 times. I would of liked a chance to play the game through once and use all the different characters.

So are you saying you'd like to be able to hot swap characters on the fly? eg. in the seekers mission you want to be able to cycle through the characters at your leisure? If so, I think that's a cool idea!

Another area they could improve for future titles is by making the enemies you fight different for each faction. In both the Autobot and Decepticon campaign you essentially fight the exact same enemies, the only difference being the 3D model/textures on the characters. This could extend to weapon types also - I think the Halo series is a good example of having this variety in enemy/weapon types.

Tetsuwan Convoy
29th June 2010, 11:54 PM
I think its pretty good, although the big boss didn't meake my eyes pop like Tidal Wave did in the Armada game.

I am only on the first chapter of the Autobot campaign and have done all the Decepticon one. I would have liked to be able to go and do completed campaigns using any TF in te game (including those limited to escalation mode). I found myself playing the same character ad got bored with being stuck choosing Soundwave, Megatron or Breakdown over and over.

Story is basic, but fun and the vision of Cybertron was impressive. I reckon a solid 8/10

Kyle
30th June 2010, 10:01 AM
I think its pretty good, although the big boss didn't meake my eyes pop like Tidal Wave did in the Armada game.

I am only on the first chapter of the Autobot campaign and have done all the Decepticon one. I would have liked to be able to go and do completed campaigns using any TF in te game (including those limited to escalation mode). I found myself playing the same character ad got bored with being stuck choosing Soundwave, Megatron or Breakdown over and over.

Story is basic, but fun and the vision of Cybertron was impressive. I reckon a solid 8/10

Man, the Omega Supreme level you showed us was AWESOME. "Would you rather face his wrath... or MINE?" :D:D:D

Hereticpoo
30th June 2010, 10:20 AM
Has anybody had issues with the game crashing and freezing? (PS3)
Its really starting to give me the shizzles!

Initial install - 10 to 15mins. Why the massive install? Any tech minded Ozformers know?
Load time on startup - FFS I've never owned a game that takes so long to get to the opening menu screen.
Crashing - Any time any mode.

Flicking thru menu's while i make my mind up - CRASH!
Jump and shoot at the same time in campaign (I got da skilz) - FREEZE!
Select Multiplayer - FREEZE!
Own noobs with a mightly kill death ratio. Get the final multiplayer kill and rub hands together for 4000 exp.....CRASH!
Ping and Join a new Game....FREEZE!
Make adjustments to control settings....wait for it....wait...
FREEEEZE!!!!

They must've multiplayed on X360's while they developed coz the PS3 version is so buggy it needs baygon. Hope they patch soon.

kaiden
30th June 2010, 11:07 AM
Has anybody had issues with the game crashing and freezing? (PS3)
Its really starting to give me the shizzles!

Initial install - 10 to 15mins. Why the massive install? Any tech minded Ozformers know?
Load time on startup - FFS I've never owned a game that takes so long to get to the opening menu screen.
Crashing - Any time any mode.

Flicking thru menu's while i make my mind up - CRASH!
Jump and shoot at the same time in campaign (I got da skilz) - FREEZE!
Select Multiplayer - FREEZE!
Own noobs with a mightly kill death ratio. Get the final multiplayer kill and rub hands together for 4000 exp.....CRASH!
Ping and Join a new Game....FREEZE!
Make adjustments to control settings....wait for it....wait...
FREEEEZE!!!!

They must've multiplayed on X360's while they developed coz the PS3 version is so buggy it needs baygon. Hope they patch soon.

yeah there are two things that constantly kill my enthusiasm for multiplayer. there was no on to play against after 3.30am and my game freezing from trying to join other peoples games. havent had it freeze in any other mode yet.

loophole
30th June 2010, 12:17 PM
i havent had any problems with the game crashing or freezing on my PS3 although i havent gone online with it yet, the only problem i have had is getting my character stuck but that has been easily fixed by just transforming and presto no longer stuck

kaiden
30th June 2010, 01:42 PM
i havent had any problems with the game crashing or freezing on my PS3 although i havent gone online with it yet, the only problem i have had is getting my character stuck but that has been easily fixed by just transforming and presto no longer stuck

that has happened to me a bit in multiplayer. i jumped off a bridge and transformed in mid-air thinking i would land on the ground and burn rubber for the nearest health (energon?) cube - instead i went right through the ground in alt mode and died.

you should come online, more local players would be much appreciated :)

SamLoi888
30th June 2010, 03:43 PM
there was no on to play against after 3.30am

Do you mean no-one from OTCA? The smallest number of people I've seen online at any one time has been about 1300.

kaiden
30th June 2010, 08:36 PM
Do you mean no-one from OTCA? The smallest number of people I've seen online at any one time has been about 1300.

the number of people online is misleading - it includes people play solo campaign.

i cant connect to a worldwide game so all i've been connecting to are regional games. last night at 3.30am there werent any games i could join and all it kept doing was making me host a lobby.

loophole
30th June 2010, 09:12 PM
you should come online, more local players would be much appreciated :)

i went one just before and got owned :eek:

Tetsuwan Convoy
30th June 2010, 09:14 PM
that has happened to me a bit in multiplayer. i jumped off a bridge and transformed in mid-air thinking i would land on the ground and burn rubber for the nearest health (energon?) cube - instead i went right through the ground in alt mode and died.

I haven't had any crashing at all. Make sure you are up to the latest update I guess. I see they want a new firmware update today...

I have found that connecting to games can be a bit of a hassle, even when they are local. In ROTF, I was trying to join a game with Sleeve, and no matter how many times we tried it just wouldn't get on. Shame really, as I had G1optimal with me and would've been good. So I think it can be a bit random sometimes...

Autocon
30th June 2010, 09:18 PM
finished it

setting to me is bland, story was nice. too quick. is there any insentive to play on harder levels? i got stuck on o spreme, tripticon and defending rachet. it was on easy:o

Tetsuwan Convoy
1st July 2010, 12:18 AM
finished it

it was on easy:o
That's why it was too quick...:rolleyes:

Mr_K
1st July 2010, 11:04 AM
Just saw this information on tfw2005.com (http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/video-games-17/war-for-cybertron---double-xp-weekend-starting-friday-170094/page2.html ):

Friday July 2nd at 6:00 PM EST, XP points gained from Multiplayer play will be DOUBLED. The event is brought to you by the folks at High Moon Studios and is for Xbox, PS3, and PC versions of the game. We are assuming this lasts until sometime Sunday/Monday.

- - I'm guessing it is worldwide but of course Friday == Saturday for us

Also, if anyone is still on the fence after this thread I would say Buy It! For those of us that remember the original UT and how much fun it was when it came out.....this it that but Transformers and present day graphics and THAT is awesome :D

kaiden
1st July 2010, 11:30 AM
Just saw this information on tfw2005.com (http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/video-games-17/war-for-cybertron---double-xp-weekend-starting-friday-170094/page2.html ):

Friday July 2nd at 6:00 PM EST, XP points gained from Multiplayer play will be DOUBLED. The event is brought to you by the folks at High Moon Studios and is for Xbox, PS3, and PC versions of the game. We are assuming this lasts until sometime Sunday/Monday.

- - I'm guessing it is worldwide but of course Friday == Saturday for us

Also, if anyone is still on the fence after this thread I would say Buy It! For those of us that remember the original UT and how much fun it was when it came out.....this it that but Transformers and present day graphics and THAT is awesome :D

I just posted this in the PS3 thread not knowing you had already posted here. oh well hopefully everyone sees it.

Jetfire
1st July 2010, 02:33 PM
Transformers Pre-Order Codes Fetching Crazy Bids On eBay (http://www.kotaku.com.au/2010/07/transformers-pre-order-codes-fetching-crazy-bids-on-ebay/)

Hereticpoo
1st July 2010, 02:40 PM
Tips too avoid ownage in Multiplayer: Soldier Class.

Don't travel from A to B in Bot Mode while you're searching for a fight.
Bot Modes stick out like sore thumbs. Cruise around in vehicle mode because your silhouette/profile is lower to ground and you blend into the background more. When you see an opponent transform and lay waste to his metallic ass. Don't waste your time with the vehicle weapons.

Be careful when you boost in vehicle mode. You glow like a christmas tree when you boost and someone will notice you.

If you are dying alot in a particular location mix it up! If your opponents are killing you over and over at the same locations they have no reason to move on. Flank them.

Take note of where the energon cubes are on the map. After you scrap somebody transform and GTF Outa there. The opponents team mates are going to look where the big noise came from.

If you see an enemy before they see you drop your 'ammo beacon' next to yourself. It emits a damage bonus aura. Combine this with the X12 Scrapmaker, and Steady aim perk. The kill will be swift.

If you're using the X12 the first two or three rounds are slow to leave the weapon. If you are trying to shoot an enemy who hasn't noticed you aim slightly off with the initial two/three slow rounds, so they don't turn around and face you. Once your barrell is at full speed pull your aim back onto them and shock them into a mistake. By the time they asses where you are there's already hundreds of rounds on the way to the killy spot.

Soldier vs Scouts. I HATE shooter games with any type of sneaky sneaky class.
You can intimidate scouts into fearing you. If they make a mistake they will pay a heavy price. If there's one around you and he's disappeared, drive away, find a doorway and put your back to a wall facing entry. He has to come thru that door to get you. Stack the odds in your favour. Lob a grenade at the entry and concentrate on the shimmer. A short burst will finish him because he has no health compared to you. Also utilise the energon sling. This will expose him and he'll probably run away because he's vunerable when he's visible.

Soldier vs Scientist. Nothing to fear. Scientists are the worst class in the game. They're weak, have terrible armour and they aren't particularly fast. Most see a soldier and run. If they take you on without support you will beat them down every single time.

Soldier vs Leader. Surprisingly I rarely come across an opponent playing leader class. Just kill em!

Soldier vs Soldier. A simple case of who see's who first. Use everthing you have to kill em quick coz if you win the fire fight you can bet your health will be low afterwards.

Hope that helps!

SamLoi888
1st July 2010, 03:20 PM
Well said, Hpoo. I agree with it all except...

Don't waste your time with the vehicle weapons.

I've won a few trophies with my tank weapon. Also got a few in-game awards like 'Far and Away' for distance shots as the tank. That said, it does seem easier to kill from a distance with tank than up close.
Must be a lot of shrapnel...

5FDP
1st July 2010, 03:28 PM
Transformers Pre-Order Codes Fetching Crazy Bids On eBay (http://www.kotaku.com.au/2010/07/transformers-pre-order-codes-fetching-crazy-bids-on-ebay/)

That is crazy :eek: US$100 for DLC!!

Mr_K
2nd July 2010, 11:32 AM
I just posted this in the PS3 thread not knowing you had already posted here. oh well hopefully everyone sees it.

The main thing is that everyone knows ;) I'm on PS3 as well so see you on the battlefield my friend.

funkyaw
2nd July 2010, 01:01 PM
I have the PC version and the XBOX 360 controller (USB). Just wondering if someone who has the XBOX 360 version can quickly jot down/scan the controls for the XBOX 360 controller. I can't seem to find anything online. Thanks.

funkyaw
2nd July 2010, 01:07 PM
I have the PC version and the XBOX 360 controller (USB). Just wondering if someone who has the XBOX 360 version can quickly jot down/scan the controls for the XBOX 360 controller. I can't seem to find anything online. Thanks.

Never mind. I just stumbled upon it. For anyone else interested, visit this website.

http://www.gamefly.com/game/xbox-360/Transformers-War-for-Cybertron/141895/GameplayControls/

kaiden
2nd July 2010, 01:12 PM
The main thing is that everyone knows ;) I'm on PS3 as well so see you on the battlefield my friend.

just had a look in the ps3 thread and havent seen your psn id :P

1AZRAEL1
3rd July 2010, 11:57 AM
Playing WFC on DS currently, I like the references to other media, such as when you switch to Megatron, he sometimes say "Nobody summons Megatron" which I nearly creamed my pants when I heard it. And Starscream says"You Autobots are pathetic fools"

So far I like it, though I am only a couple of missions in.

SharkyMcShark
3rd July 2010, 01:54 PM
So is this worth getting on XBox for the like 70 bucks odd or whatever JB is charging?

loophole
3rd July 2010, 03:45 PM
been playing a bit of it online today and one thing i dont like is the transforming button L3 in the heat of battle i keep pressing when i really dont want to transfrom other than that its good fun

oh and more character customisation is needed to and why cant the decepticons have nice bright colours too? its just not fair

kaiden
3rd July 2010, 04:22 PM
So is this worth getting on XBox for the like 70 bucks odd or whatever JB is charging?

$59 and yes. someone said you could get it $5 cheaper at dicksmith and if you cant find one big w have it for $61

been playing a bit of it online today and one thing i dont like is the transforming button L3 in the heat of battle i keep pressing when i really dont want to transfrom other than that its good fun

oh and more character customisation is needed to and why cant the decepticons have nice bright colours too? its just not fair

yeah i hate that too. there's an option to change it to 'Triangle' button, but it makes it slower to transform. and so i just had to get used to pressing the L stick gentler.

1AZRAEL1
7th July 2010, 11:12 AM
I was playing more of the DS Decepticon version last night before I went to bed and unlocked Cyclonus. Damn he is an awesome character to use. Also Ultra Magnus is pretty good as well. Now I just have to figure out how to unlock the rest of the Autobots, I wanna use Swoop and Warpath. Some awesome characters in the DS version.

Bartrim
7th July 2010, 11:19 AM
I was playing more of the DS Decepticon version last night before I went to bed and unlocked Cyclonus. Damn he is an awesome character to use. Also Ultra Magnus is pretty good as well. Now I just have to figure out how to unlock the rest of the Autobots, I wanna use Swoop and Warpath. Some awesome characters in the DS version.

I agree but I'm not really enjoying the ds games. I'm only a couple of levels in on both but there are bees and giant glowing blue slugs WTF. I want a game with robots shooting each other not a game about some robots who are employed by "Cybertronian Pest Exterminators":mad:

1AZRAEL1
7th July 2010, 11:27 AM
I agree but I'm not really enjoying the ds games. I'm only a couple of levels in on both but there are bees and giant glowing blue slugs WTF. I want a game with robots shooting each other not a game about some robots who are employed by "Cybertronian Pest Exterminators":mad:

Yea I'll admit, those things annoy the hell outta me, escpecially when you get surrounds by those bees. The rest of it is fun, Taking on Omega was a pain until I figured the pattern out to beat him. A few of the other minor bosses were difficult until you figure it out.

When you get further in the game, they are still therein fewer numbers, but there are more robots and turrets and tanks to kill.

i_amtrunks
7th July 2010, 01:09 PM
The wii version (really Cybertron Adventures) is very short, maybe 8 hours total for the main story mode, going through and completing the extra bonus missions could take another 8 or so, but there is no real incentive to go through and do it (that I am aware of).

Still I found it interesting enough to finish before Lego HP was released.

Tetsuwan Convoy
7th July 2010, 10:55 PM

I like the way the Deceps version starts exactly the same way as the Autobots versio does, until Megatron drops in. I had to check I had the right game at the start...

Finding the controls a little fiddly and the lock -on can be annoying with its randoms-ness.

AussieJason
8th July 2010, 09:43 AM
The wii version (really Cybertron Adventures) is very short, maybe 8 hours total for the main story mode, going through and completing the extra bonus missions could take another 8 or so, but there is no real incentive to go through and do it (that I am aware of).

I may just hire the game if it's that short...

I was going to buy it the other day but got Mario Galaxy 2 instead, which by the sounds of it will last me much longer !

i_amtrunks
8th July 2010, 10:41 AM
I may just hire the game if it's that short...

I was going to buy it the other day but got Mario Galaxy 2 instead, which by the sounds of it will last me much longer !

Hiring is a good option, its not a game I would drop $50 on, $20 sure, (or $7 for the hire) the game is fun and nice enough looking for a Wii game, but the story is disjointed (plays on from the opening movie, the one that was used for the trailers). Unlike the PS3 version, the Wii version has the events in the Decepticon and Autobot campaign's running side by side rather than one after the other.

Robzy
8th July 2010, 07:22 PM

Agreed.

I actually found it fun, frustrating and boring. It's a bit odd really. Some parts were really enjoyable, and I found myself really getting in to it. Other parts were so easy it was actually boring and repetitive (and this is from a guy who is NOT a hardcore gamer!!), but then all of a sudden I'd come across this really difficult part that would just stop me completely.

I just finished the Autobot campaign last night... wasn't much of an "ending". The battle with Trypticon was a bit annoying because of the damn timer, and every time you die it went all the way back to the start of the friggin cut scene :rolleyes:

The Decepticon campaign is a hell of a lot easier so far. I'm almost done.

All in all, it's still fun - just not something I'll play more than once!

Sleeve
9th July 2010, 09:00 AM
How much should I expect the DS version to go for? We never got it in at work, and the other day when I was at K-Mart they didn't have it and couldn't tell me a price (they didn't have it on any console, it was weird). I'd really love to play as Cyclonus but am wondering if it's really worth it when I could just stick with the PS3. I'd also love to see what Cyclonus and the other extras actually look like, can't find them anywhere online.

Maruten
9th July 2010, 03:11 PM
RRP for the DS games is I think $50. Saw them in EB (Woden ACT) today for $37 each though so you may be able to find a good price.

1AZRAEL1
11th July 2010, 08:59 AM
RRP for the DS games is I think $50. Saw them in EB (Woden ACT) today for $37 each though so you may be able to find a good price.

I picked up mine for about that at Big W. Though one cost a little more because I bought the Megatron DS case and stylus with one of the games. So if you shop around, you can probably find it for around that mark. It was on sale though, dunno if the sale is still going.

kup
11th July 2010, 06:16 PM
I just finished playing through the whole game.

I must say this game could not be any more geewunn and I mean that in a good way! :)

Gameplay wise it's nothing new, it's a straight 3rd person shooter. You go around each level shooting bad guys (or good guys) and activating switches and that's about it. However although the gameplay brings nothing new to the genre, it can't be argued that it's a lot of fun specially to a Transformers fan. The scripted events are interesting, the environments do have variation despite some complaints and the boss battles are great! However I can't help feel that a Transformer fan will get more out of this game than an everyday gamer due to what I mentioned before - It brings nothing new to the table gameplay wise.

The campaign mode is really where it's at for fans and it doesn't disappoint. It's plot and use of characters is very geewunny (down to Rumble is blue & Frenzy is red!) and the environments are detailed enough to portray an ancient robotic civilization successfully as well as a 'living' Cybertron. For fans the story and characters will certainly not disappoint but I do wish they had used more than a select few characters. Even by Geewhunn standards the character roster list was pretty small.

Something that I was glad to find is that what were first regarded as 'drones' from the reviews and promo movies are actually not so. They are classed genericons/generibots with their own personality not unlike the generic cybertronians you see in crowd scenes in the G1 cartoon and comic so they are fully individualized cybertronians. However gameplay wise I was a little disappointed that the same classes of generibots are mirrored on both sides. Example: Both the autobots and Decepticons have brutes, cloackers, tanks, etc with no variation aside from colors.

This 'mirrored' classes was a bit disappointing and somewhat nonsensical, specially when Barricade at the start of the Decepticon campaign gets freaked out by clockers as they were something which they have never seen before but in the Autobot campaign Decepticons have lots of them. Another flaw of this 'mirror' system is that both the autobot and Decepticon campaigns are too similar from a gameplay perspective as in both you are fighting exactly the same enemies throughout which can make it kind of boring.

Now to the Transformation. Despite what that retard at Gamespot said, transformation is a big factor in the gameplay. There are some battles in which you cannot be effective without transforming as you need to cover the battlefield quickly and on top of that, the alt mode having it's own weapons also adds a strategic element. For example in the Autobot campaign I chose jetfire, once I was able to clear all the Decepticon rocketeers I was able to transform and take off an pick off the ground forces. The gamespot guy was clearly talking out of his ass as he also mentioned cover mechanics - There are none in this game, it's a straight shooter. The only cover is going behind a wall or pillar.

The advantages of the alt mode become apparent early on the game during standard confrontations and during a boss battle it becomes essential as some boss attacks can only be avoided with the speed of your vehicle mode or your dead. Again the Gamespot guy doesn't appear to have played the same game as everyone else has as he deemed transforming unnecessary.

The quality of the story campaign is somewhat simplistic but satisfying with lots of G1 nods and references. The story is not fully fleshed out and although it is a bit more advanced than a G1 episode, it is certainly not much more so. The story somewhat loosely reminded me of Bob Boudanski's style of storytelling as his form was to tell a simple but still epic story with fun being at the center of it such as Megatron finding some new source of power and the Autobots trying to stop him. The interactions between transformers is also good and fun but there isn't much character development and the voice acting is about on par with the cartoon (ranging from good to corny) but just like the cartoon, the interaction between characters and personalities are fun and entertaining despite the lack of character development.

Overall, if you are a Transformers G1 fan - You need to play this game. It's fun and exciting with lots and lots of G1 nods.

If you are a regular gamer, it is still worth playing as the gameplay is still fun and well executed but don't expect anything new or revolutionary. It's a pretty standard shooter with a short linear campaign but the transforming element may help to keep it fresh.

In regards with Hasbro mudding up where this game belongs to continuity wise? I don't care what Hasbro says, this game could not be any more Generation 1. It is not comparable to anything else all the characters, situations and even the story style as well as the character line ups are G1.

Apparently Hasbro marketing is trying to shoehorn this into Transformers: Prime the TFwiki is going along despite the game developers repeatedly saying that this is G1. Therefore it belongs in the G1 continuity family just like War Within, DW, IDW, etc.

Tell me how can This (http://www.seibertron.com/images/news/gfx/1276328292_BBPrime.jpg) be in the same continuity as this (http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/attach/4/0/5/9/7/War-for-Cybertron-Bumblebee_1264271215.jpg)

And how can this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6NC-t2fpGE) not be G1?

5FDP
13th July 2010, 07:55 PM
Good Game reviewed the game last night. If you missed the episode like me, here's a link (http://mpegmedia.abc.net.au/tv/goodgame/vodcast/goodgame_2010_s6_ep22.mp4) to download it.

kup
13th July 2010, 08:14 PM
Good Game reviewed the game last night. If you missed the episode like me, here's a link (http://mpegmedia.abc.net.au/tv/goodgame/vodcast/goodgame_2010_s6_ep22.mp4) to download it.

Saw their review, thanks. It was very fair and about right.

Ingram
14th July 2010, 11:51 AM
Even the part about how you turn Starscream from an Autobot to a Decepticon?

Errrr...

kup
14th July 2010, 12:06 PM
Even the part about how you turn Starscream from an Autobot to a Decepticon?

Errrr...

I don't think that is been interpreted properly. Starscream seems more like a neutralist in the game protected by Autobots than actually having any cemented allegiance.

SamLoi888
15th July 2010, 06:10 PM
I don't think that is been interpreted properly. Starscream seems more like a neutralist in the game protected by Autobots than actually having any cemented allegiance.

That's what I felt.

Autocon
16th July 2010, 01:02 AM
yep he was fighting with jetfire then he saw the power of dark energon and turned

kup
16th July 2010, 09:50 AM
yep he was fighting with jetfire then he saw the power of dark energon and turned

That still doesn't make him an Autobot. G1 fiction has used neutralist scientists in the past which are not committed but are partial to one faction.

SamLoi888
16th July 2010, 11:05 AM
That still doesn't make him an Autobot. G1 fiction has used neutralist scientists in the past which are not committed but are partial to one faction.

Yeah and Starscream doesn't have any Autobot faction symbol at all in any of the cut scenes.

i_amtrunks
20th July 2010, 04:40 PM
Liking the DS Decepticon Game, it's fairly forgiving (takes some time to die due to being shot) and the fact that there is actual voice acting in a DS game is great.

Starting off the Decepticon game as an Autobot was cool too, actually threw me off, thought I must have gotten the wrong version by mistake.

Much better than the movie games, and so far, much more enjoyable than the animated game, which had a neat idea, but was poorly executed.

1AZRAEL1
20th July 2010, 06:20 PM
Liking the DS Decepticon Game, it's fairly forgiving (takes some time to die due to being shot) and the fact that there is actual voice acting in a DS game is great.

Starting off the Decepticon game as an Autobot was cool too, actually threw me off, thought I must have gotten the wrong version by mistake.

Much better than the movie games, and so far, much more enjoyable than the animated game, which had a neat idea, but was poorly executed.

Yea I was duped a little when you start of as an Autobot. It is great, much better than the movie versions. And you can die easily when taking on bosses if you are not careful :p (which I learned the hard way :p)

GoktimusPrime
20th July 2010, 10:21 PM
One of my students played this game during the holidays and said that it was really dull and boring and ended up returning it. So... from an objective gamer's POV (i.e. without Transfan bias) -- what's the game like?

Also, any idea when it's coming out on PC? I can't be bothered buying a console just to play this game. I'm not much of a gamer so I wouldn't buy other games after getting a console - I have a Wii which I intend to sell... again, cos I just don't play it. Much rather play with my toys. :D

kup
20th July 2010, 10:29 PM
One of my students played this game during the holidays and said that it was really dull and boring and ended up returning it. So... from an objective gamer's POV (i.e. without Transfan bias) -- what's the game like?

Also, any idea when it's coming out on PC? I can't be bothered buying a console just to play this game. I'm not much of a gamer so I wouldn't buy other games after getting a console - I have a Wii which I intend to sell... again, cos I just don't play it. Much rather play with my toys. :D

You should ask him what kind of gamer he is to get a gaming style frame of reference. The main attraction of the game is the single player campaign, the multiplayer is nothing special and if your student only cares about that then he would be dissapointed as there isn't much in it that's new and maps are limited as well as straight forward.

The game doesn't really offer much when it comes to gameplay innovation but what it does, it does very well and the story is good enough to enjoy but nothing revolutionary or jaw dropping.

It's a good game using technology and gameplay mechanics we have already seen. The most innovating thing about it is the transformation but then again one could compare that with vehicle driving in 1st & 3rd person shooters with the exception that you can 'hop on' whenever you like.

Knowing the type of gamer is very important when it comes to getting gaming opinions. I know a couple of people who are heavily into multiplayer and 1st person shooter games like Call of Duty and Battlefront who think that Dragon Age Origins is dull and borring because it's a slower story and character driven Role Playing Game. Yet Dragon Age Origins is widely seen as one of the greatest RPGs made in the last few years and won several gaming awards.

AussieJason
2nd August 2010, 12:47 PM
Agreed.

I actually found it fun, frustrating and boring. It's a bit odd really. Some parts were really enjoyable, and I found myself really getting in to it. Other parts were so easy it was actually boring and repetitive (and this is from a guy who is NOT a hardcore gamer!!), but then all of a sudden I'd come across this really difficult part that would just stop me completely.

I just finished the Autobot campaign last night... wasn't much of an "ending". The battle with Trypticon was a bit annoying because of the damn timer, and every time you die it went all the way back to the start of the friggin cut scene :rolleyes:

The Decepticon campaign is a hell of a lot easier so far. I'm almost done.

All in all, it's still fun - just not something I'll play more than once!

I finally hired the Wii version yesterday and quite liked it.

Yes, it's short and on rails but it is still enjoyable.

It's nowhere near as bad as most reviews I had read, however I think you need to be a G1 fan to appreciate it. I wouldn't recommend it to non-TF fans, and would barely recommend to non-G1 fans.

As Robzy said, the timer can be a pain and seeing the same cutscene for the 20th time is annoying... but overall I had a good time.

If it was just longer I would buy the game for sure...

kup
2nd August 2010, 01:23 PM
I finally hired the Wii version yesterday and quite liked it.

Yes, it's short and on rails but it is still enjoyable.

It's nowhere near as bad as most reviews I had read, however I think you need to be a G1 fan to appreciate it. I wouldn't recommend it to non-TF fans, and would barely recommend to non-G1 fans.

As Robzy said, the timer can be a pain and seeing the same cutscene for the 20th time is annoying... but overall I had a good time.

If it was just longer I would buy the game for sure...

How different is the Wii and handheld versions compared to the main releases? Does it still follow the same story?

griffin
2nd August 2010, 01:33 PM
I found it slow to get into, and am probably only wanting to finish it because I don't like leaving things unfinished...
To me, the colours are very boring which then impacts on the feel of the game, as it feels so visually monotonous. I don't see why they can't have sectors of Cybertron with different coloured highlights or neon lighting (like the red and purple neon lighting on the actual robots - have that sort of styling in different colours for the different cities and sectors to make it look more interesting).
I like seeing background action, like through much of the Decepticon campaign, as other parts of the game make you feel like you are in a ghost town with no 'war' actually happening around you.
Some parts that are designed to be long-term driving in vehicle mode are wasted because you don't know before hand that you won't be attacked at all, so are more cautious (slower speeds) or just walk most of it to be battle-ready. If they had some message to assure you that it was a racing segment of the game (perhaps a time limit before a road collapses or something) without fear of being shot at, it would make it more of an incentive to utilise the alt mode - which I found is underused/wasted because they don't make these driving segments obvious.
For me, I use the vehicle mode more when I run out of Robot ammunition, than for actual driving.

I also find that I rarely use the 2 special abilities, the hand-weapon and grenades - mostly because it is easier to just use the main controls of firing, targetting, moving, angle-of-vision and jumping. In the heat of battle, another four buttons/elements of the game can be hard to remember, and can get you killed trying to pause the instinct of moving and shooting, to remembering what each of those extra four things will do, and how to do them to make them work properly (where to stand, where to aim).

I do like the small variety of characters you get to use, but I get the feeling the unlockable/future DL characters won't be added to the 1-player game, which if true, could limit the repeat playability of the game once you've tried out each of the 3.

Megatron sounds too much like Arnie Swc.. Shwc... Svars... the Terminator guy who runs Californial... :p

I also find you can cheat with much of the game, by hanging back while your two fellow warriors take care of most of the opponents. It even makes it easier destroying the brutes, if they or you distract them on the opposite side, exposing the backpack to the others (sometimes without even getting near it).

I like Warpath and Sideswipe, Skywarp and Breakdown. Actually, it gets boring playing the two leaders after a while, so using a backup warrior makes it more interesting (and no more difficult).

Defeating Zeta Prime was my most challanging level, so far.

The plot they are offering is also interesting enough to be another reason to play out this game as a Transfan, but probably of no interest to a non-fan gamer.
I even had to redo the Starscream battle to see the end scene, because I was throwing grenades at him at the end (the last ammo I had), which was the same button as the one to skip the animations... So when he died, the console thought I had also pressed the skip button, and I had to go back and defeat him again to see the 'story' element.

Currently on the 'repair of Omega Supreme' stage, so still have some way to go yet, but felt like making a few comments while seeing this topic being active today.

(still haven't gone online yet...)

AussieJason
2nd August 2010, 01:54 PM
How different is the Wii and handheld versions compared to the main releases? Does it still follow the same story?

Not sure as I have only played the Wii version... I will be hiring the DS version(s) at some point to see if it is worth buying.

I have heard that the storyline makes more sense on the Wii, can anyone confirm this ?

Sleeve
2nd August 2010, 01:55 PM
Grenades and especially melee will come in very handy during multiplayer.

I like Warpath and Sideswipe, Skywarp and Breakdown. Actually, it gets boring playing the two leaders after a while, so using a backup warrior makes it more interesting (and no more difficult).

I only played as Megs and Op maybe once each during Campaign, and stuck with the other characters as I preferred their abilities.

Deonasis
3rd August 2010, 07:11 PM
Finished playing the campaign in full today on the 360.

I'll give it an 8. Mostly a good story with a truckload of references for us fans!

Great, big, long, multi-room boss battles at the end of each campaign and a few epic bits in between too. I will replay it to get the achievements I missed and to try different characters and different room strategies. I agree that Cybertron looks washed out and has repetitive textures which is a shame because it has a lot if impressive architecture if you looking around. I did get my character 'stuck' on two occasions (doing nothing adventurous just a room corner and a doorway) and had to restart from the last checkpoint. It is a pity both factions had the mirrored units and I was hoping to more details of war (scorch marks, billowing smoke) and better water (energon) effects but hey, the good news it that this is now the benchmark for non-movie Transformers games. If this gets equalled, I will be happy!

BigPenney
3rd August 2010, 09:21 PM
Currently on my third play-through (once on easy, once on medium and now on hard) on the PC version.

I have to give it an 8/10.

I loved the campaign mode, I found it really fun and I quite liked the story (even if it contradicts Exodus or the other way around, however you want to look at it).
I also really liked the little fan nods throughout (my favorites being the Autobot in the Decepticon camp, being found guilty and saying "Spare me this mockery of justice!" before being dumped in the pit and the P.O.K.E: Punch Of Kill Everything :D).

As for negatives, I have to agree with others in that Cybertron itself does look a little bland and repetitive. I also found that the campaigns were to short for me, I would just start to really get into the game and then it's over. My final complaint was that there weren't enough flying/scientist levels, when I finished the game and found that there was only one per faction I felt a little disappointed.

I have also played a little bit of multiplayer team death match and except for a few connection problems, I found it to be quite fun if a little hard :).

5FDP
3rd August 2010, 10:28 PM
Bought it when it came out; played it for about an hour; never picked it back up. Not saying I dislike it or anything, just not a fan of shooters. I don't regret getting it either considering I only paid 9 bucks for it.

Tetsuwan Convoy
10th August 2010, 02:14 AM
I am occasionally playing again on Hard this time. Problem is since I layed it t finish last time, I am spending more time taking risks and generally messing around= more time dying.

Still, I would LOVE to see a sequel made that improves on thhe negatives of this game.

Just a tad upset I can't use the DLC chars in the dingle player now I have finished....

kup
10th August 2010, 09:57 AM
I am occasionally playing again on Hard this time. Problem is since I layed it t finish last time, I am spending more time taking risks and generally messing around= more time dying.

Still, I would LOVE to see a sequel made that improves on thhe negatives of this game.

Just a tad upset I can't use the DLC chars in the dingle player now I have finished....

For me the big negatives of this game as far as gameplay is concerned are the 'No-Frills' gameplay style and the mirrored enemy units that makes both the Decepticon and Autobot campaigns feel too similar.

From a story perspective, they should dwell more into the comic mythos than keeping it so Geewhunn. They could also benefit from introducing more characters even if they are just NPCs that you can meet along the way.

griffin
10th August 2010, 12:15 PM
I'm surprised at how many different online games there are with WFC... makes the single player game feel insignificant. It's useful for getting game practice, but I still need more practice before having a chance against other people online. (and my wifi connection keeps dropping out too :( )

k.wong23
10th August 2010, 12:39 PM
Ever since Starcraft 2 came out WFC totally has lost my interest...haven't even finished the campaign and I have maybe 2-3 chapters left in the Autobot campaign!

i_amtrunks
10th August 2010, 12:52 PM
The PS3 version levels are long, thank goodness for all those checkpoints.

I'm not a big shooting game fan, and those I do play are mostly on the PC, so it took me a while to get used to the controls, but once I did, I found it fairly enjoyable, being able to transform at will is nice.

So far I'm liking it, especially with all the tf references, but my non tf mates enjoyed it just as much.

Not my favourite game of the year, but the PS3 game is better than the Wii and DS versions, especially with a group of friends.

kup
10th August 2010, 01:53 PM
Ever since Starcraft 2 came out WFC totally has lost my interest...haven't even finished the campaign and I have maybe 2-3 chapters left in the Autobot campaign!

It's what I call a good 'filler' game. A game that you generally play between big titles like Dragon Age, Mass Effect or Starcraft 2 as in your case.

You'll probably pick it up again once you finish with Starcraft 2 until the next big game is released.

The reason for this is that although War for Cybertron is a fun and well executed game, there isn't much in it that's really new. From a gameplay perspective we have seen it all before several times already.

The appeal is really just the G1 theme and that is only really appealing to fans. To a non fan gamer, it's just another game, nothing special.

That's where the developers failed, they made the gameplay far too generic for it's own good.

Lint
10th August 2010, 02:31 PM

I'm not liking it overall. The checkpoints are way too oddly interspaced, enemies are either extremely easy to kill or mercilessly hard. The thing i hate most is being a seeker, falling off a ledge, transforming into a plane and still plummet to your doom. Also having the transform function as a 'touch' to activate kinda makes transforming less accessible. It should have been switched round with the switch-character function.

The only thing compelling me to play on is that it's a transformers game.

kup
10th August 2010, 03:42 PM
I'm not liking it overall. The checkpoints are way too oddly interspaced, enemies are either extremely easy to kill or mercilessly hard. The thing i hate most is being a seeker, falling off a ledge, transforming into a plane and still plummet to your doom. Also having the transform function as a 'touch' to activate kinda makes transforming less accessible. It should have been switched round with the switch-character function.

The only thing compelling me to play on is that it's a transformers game.

Don't take this the wrong way but I disagree with much of what you said.

IMO:

The checkpoints are nicely placed so that if you die, you do not need to start from way back.

Mob Enemies are indeed easy to kill, that's the point. They are supposed to swarm you and then throw a big bad among them to spice things up. This is again nicely done as you have to crowd control the enemies while prioritizing on targets. However I will admit that this form of crowd attack from the enemy units is far too repetitive.

I never had the same issues as you while being a seeker. I actually enjoyed jumping off ledges and then transforming mid air, I thought that was fun.

Having transformation as a 'touch' was crucial for me. During large battles you have to alternate between the robot mode and the alt mode several times to both conserve ammo and be able to get from what point in the battlefield to another at speed or get the higher ground. Transformation is the best executed element of this game in my opinion.

Lint
10th August 2010, 04:20 PM
^Are you talking about the DS version? Because thats what I was talking about. If so please teach me how to transform in mid air sensei :D :D :D

Tetsuwan Convoy
10th August 2010, 04:38 PM
^Are you talking about the DS version? Because thats what I was talking about. If so please teach me how to transform in mid air sensei :D :D :D

Eee, I have found the DS version easy to TF in mid air. Falling off a ledge as a seeker and pressing the TF button did the trick for me and thats all there was to it.

kup
10th August 2010, 04:39 PM

Sorry I read what you wrote not the quote. It's confusing to have an all version review thread when each version is so different, specially while doing other stuff at work :o

iceburn
10th August 2010, 04:41 PM
hey guys, i've got a free download Shockwave and autobot jazz for just $10. if there's any takes, please contact me.

AussieJason
10th August 2010, 07:25 PM

I've decided to buy the Wii version when I next see it... I may just pick up a DS one as well.

Am I correct in assuming the Autobot and Decepticon versions are much the same, or is the Decepticon one better in some way ?

i_amtrunks
10th August 2010, 10:18 PM
I've decided to buy the Wii version when I next see it... I may just pick up a DS one as well.

Am I correct in assuming the Autobot and Decepticon versions are much the same, or is the Decepticon one better in some way ?

I'm not sure, I finished the Decepticon version, but yet to start the Autobot on the DS (got an English copy of SoulSilver to play through).

The best way to think of the Wii game is a Transformers version of Time Crisis II but with ammo options (infinite amount) more like Time Crisis III.

1AZRAEL1
11th August 2010, 10:18 AM

Well, I have finished the Con one, but not completely (data disks and all Bot characters) but I like the Cons better, so that may give it a bit of bias. I started playing the Bot version, still good. Basically you go through the same areas, but in a different order and different objectives. Haven't played it in a couple of days because I have been too busy.

Gutsman Heavy
30th August 2010, 01:23 PM
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/1951-Transformers-War-for-Cybertron

Yahtzee reviews WFC, generally hits the nail on the the head in his typical overly negative review

Tetsuwan Convoy
30th August 2010, 02:57 PM
Ah ha haha. Funny. Sadly very true

kup
30th August 2010, 03:21 PM
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/1951-Transformers-War-for-Cybertron

Yahtzee reviews WFC, generally hits the nail on the the head in his typical overly negative review

Although I don't particularly agree with his interpretation of Transforming not being relevant to gameplay, I do agree that the gameplay as a whole is pretty standard. Not terrible but nothing really new - It's too by the numbers.

Although this 'streamlining' was made with the intention of reaching a wider audience, it actually alienates the non-Transfan gamers as it doesn't really offer anything that makes it stand out. The gameplay is not bad but the only real appeal of the game is the fairly well depicted TF G1 theme of the story but only fans can truly appreciate that which is ironic since the gameplay was kept simple in order to accomplish the opposite.

I am still a fan of the game but I am not blind that if I were not a TF fan, I would probably see it as an 'ok' arcade shooter, not much more than that.

GoktimusPrime
30th August 2010, 07:23 PM
It depends on the character and level. I'm currently playing the Decepticon campaign with Brawl, and sometimes the tank mode comes in handy when I just wanna pack an extra punch. I'm playing the Autobot campaign with Optimus Prime, and some of the levels where you have to race along the highways are easier done with vehicle mode (although robot mode is still possible).

I find the 'Prelude to Energon' (Armada) game was better in terms of engineering levels that forced you to use alternate between vehicle and robot mode. But I'm still pretty early in the game so I'll see how things pan out later.

Now off to rescue Zeta Prime - this surely won't be a trap! :p ;)

kup
2nd September 2010, 12:35 AM
It depends on the character and level. I'm currently playing the Decepticon campaign with Brawl, and sometimes the tank mode comes in handy when I just wanna pack an extra punch. I'm playing the Autobot campaign with Optimus Prime, and some of the levels where you have to race along the highways are easier done with vehicle mode (although robot mode is still possible).

I find the 'Prelude to Energon' (Armada) game was better in terms of engineering levels that forced you to use alternate between vehicle and robot mode. But I'm still pretty early in the game so I'll see how things pan out later.

Are you playing the campaigns in order?

Bartrim
2nd September 2010, 07:51 AM

Where's Admiral Ackbar when you need him:p

GoktimusPrime
2nd September 2010, 03:10 PM
Are you playing the campaigns in order?
I keep alternating between the Decepticon campaign and the Autobot campaign - depending on which one I feel like playing. :p I realise I should probably finish the Decepticon campaign first but... meh.

So yeah, playing the Autobot campaign has spoiled some things for me in the Decepticon campaign plot like the Decepticons using Dark Energon and Starscream being a Decepticon (cos nobody would see that coming! :p)

kup
2nd September 2010, 03:14 PM
I keep alternating between the Decepticon campaign and the Autobot campaign - depending on which one I feel like playing. :p I realise I should probably finish the Decepticon campaign first but... meh.

So yeah, playing the Autobot campaign has spoiled some things for me in the Decepticon campaign plot like the Decepticons using Dark Energon and Starscream being a Decepticon (cos nobody would see that coming! :p)

To me that's like skipping back and forth on bits of a movie I haven't seen yet but whatever suits you.

GoktimusPrime
8th September 2010, 09:31 AM
zomg I'm such a noob... only last Sunday I worked out - by complete accident - that clicking the right mouse button lets me zoom in/out! :p

P.S.: the only crummy thing is I can't shoot whilst zoomed in - thus I cannot snipe. At least not with the character I'm currently playing (Sideswipe).

P.P.S.: unless there is a way I can but I haven't worked it out yet! I really should read the instructions. ;) :D

kup
8th September 2010, 09:38 AM
zomg I'm such a noob... only last Sunday I worked out - by complete accident - that clicking the right mouse button lets me zoom in/out! :p

P.S.: the only crummy thing is I can't shoot whilst zoomed in - thus I cannot snipe. At least not with the character I'm currently playing (Sideswipe).

P.P.S.: unless there is a way I can but I haven't worked it out yet! I really should read the instructions. ;) :D

No comment :p

1AZRAEL1
12th September 2010, 01:56 PM
I have had my first complaints on the Autobot DS game.

When you build up your strength with Op to the point you can land critical hits with your axe, I found it;s not a good idea to do it against any Autobots in the bonus games (when you battle them to win the character). Reason being is if they are nearly dead, and you land a critical hit, they dissapear completely. Basically it is a glitch in the game, because you only need to beat them within an inch of their life. Annoying when UM is not the easiest to beat as it is. Only way to fix it is to restart the mission.

Other gripe is the lack of Decepticon boss battles. I can only remember taking on Dirge (early on) and Onslaught mid way through. Then Trypticon. In the Decepticon version, I remember taking on alot more characters instead of clones. That and Trypticon is easy to beat, whereas Omega was a pain.

One cool thing is though, right before the second last mission, Prime says the iconic line "Megatron must be stopped, no matter the cost" :D

Only 70% odd done, still need to level up all my characters to 20, Prime and Bbee I have used the whole time so they are on 20 now :p

griffin
12th September 2010, 04:11 PM
Bought the DLC #2 pack last night, and tried to play it online... even being 20cm away from the router, it still failed to stay connected long enough to try out everything in the pack (not to mention making me really mad).
And I really hate the frequent occurance of joining up to Escalation, and being stuck floating above the battleground, unable to do anything. I have to exit the game, and then that wastes more time on such limited connectivity.

Since I can't get the PS3 to access the modem directly via its cable (just doesn't register it for some reason)... I still can't work out if it is the wireless transmission speed of the router, or the internet connection speed itself. So looks like I'll just have to get my own internet connection (the other one is a shared connection - but no one uses it while I'm gaming).

Didn't seem to be anything fancy with the two new characters - Zeta Prime and Dead End, but when I get killed off, I watch other players and find that people are really starting to get into the special abilities more (like cloaking). The new map I finally got to try was a tough one, as it didn't appear to have any decent vantage points or 'high ground' to defend when in trouble.

Tetsuwan Convoy
14th September 2010, 02:21 AM
I keep forgetting about the class powers... Also the perks system, I only just realised I had levelled up my scout to use the first one...:p

griffin
15th September 2010, 12:59 AM
With the unreliable online access, I've now been having more fun with the 'single player' version of Escalation. (select 'host game' and select 'friends only', and you can start Escalation with one player - every other version of Escalation requires 2 or more)
It's a lot more difficult, with the enemy all coming at the one player, but it lets me get experiance with the characters and maps for when I then play with others. (it also finally improves my ranking... if that even counts for anything)

Hereticpoo
15th September 2010, 02:35 PM
Had an AWESOME time owning NOOBS yesterday. Absolutely annihilated the other team. I'm sad coz my 25:1 score happened right at the end, freaking soldier class whirlwind. :(

http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss150/Hereticpoo/IMG_0008.jpg

http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss150/Hereticpoo/IMG_0012.jpg

GoktimusPrime
15th September 2010, 11:46 PM
I haven't tried playing this online yet... still trying to finish the single player campaign first.

Hereticpoo
16th September 2010, 11:26 AM
I haven't tried playing this online yet... still trying to finish the single player campaign first.

The most addicting thing with online play is the bot customisation. Every time you level up there's something you unlock to tailor your bot to your playing style. Keep plugging away at that single player GOK and get those reflexes up to cat speed. :)

Lord_Zed
16th September 2010, 01:24 PM
Had an AWESOME time owning NOOBS yesterday. Absolutely annihilated the other team. I'm sad coz my 25:1 score happened right at the end, freaking soldier class whirlwind. :(

Owning Noobs is no victory, just depletes the player pool.

But at least people are playing that is good.

GoktimusPrime
16th September 2010, 04:37 PM
<---I is a gaming noob. I can guarantee if I ever join an online game I would get my arse handed back to me something chronic! :p

Hereticpoo
16th September 2010, 04:41 PM
Owning Noobs is no victory, just depletes the player pool.

But at least people are playing that is good.

Bit harsh mate. And no rules are bent or broken so yes, it is a victory.

GoktimusPrime
16th September 2010, 04:51 PM
Yeah but it's a game and it's nice to give novices more of a sporting chance to play. Some games have a handicap setting to cater for this (e.g. Street Fighter). There are other ways experienced players can handicap themselves, e.g. intentionally using low powered or melee weapons, intentionally moving out of cover etc.

One thing that frustrates me as a noob is when I join a game and I constantly get pwned. The games just not fun for me cos it's like - spawn - get killed - respawn - get killed - respawn - get killed... ad infinitum. Being constant cannon fodder isn't fun, so eventually I give up on playing and I never improve. Sometimes when I play Star Wars Miniatures against a noob I'll intentionally do things to give them an advantage over me (e.g. field a weak team, never combine fire, move out into the open etc.). Cos yeah... if I ever try to play this game online, and all that happens to me is that I get constantly hammered... then I'm just never going to play the multiplayer mode again.

SharkyMcShark
16th September 2010, 05:23 PM
A friend of mine that is has an unhealthy fixation with internet memes once said a wise thing to me.

L2Play.

kaiden
16th September 2010, 09:50 PM
Yeah but it's a game and it's nice to give novices more of a sporting chance to play. Some games have a handicap setting to cater for this (e.g. Street Fighter). There are other ways experienced players can handicap themselves, e.g. intentionally using low powered or melee weapons, intentionally moving out of cover etc.

One thing that frustrates me as a noob is when I join a game and I constantly get pwned. The games just not fun for me cos it's like - spawn - get killed - respawn - get killed - respawn - get killed... ad infinitum. Being constant cannon fodder isn't fun, so eventually I give up on playing and I never improve. Sometimes when I play Star Wars Miniatures against a noob I'll intentionally do things to give them an advantage over me (e.g. field a weak team, never combine fire, move out into the open etc.). Cos yeah... if I ever try to play this game online, and all that happens to me is that I get constantly hammered... then I'm just never going to play the multiplayer mode again.

its not really a game where you can really go easier on the opposing team... if you are constantly dying, first thing to do is find your team mates and follow them - strength in numbers.

Deonasis
16th September 2010, 11:08 PM
I try to learn the map (via youtube, private match or invisible charater) or a techniques to stay alive (via youtube, blogs). I have gone from bottom of the heap in matches to the middle with a cloaked scout. Becoming an efficient killer is my next hurdle.

griffin
16th September 2010, 11:53 PM
I think it could work better if people could 'request' finding a game within your rank-range or open-range (at the menu screen, like the regional/worldwide setting). That way you could choose to take on people who are similar to you (more fun for you), or be able to take on a range of people good or bad for variety (to test yourself more).

Deonasis
17th September 2010, 09:09 AM
I think it could work better if people could 'request' finding a game within your rank-range or open-range (at the menu screen, like the regional/worldwide setting). That way you could choose to take on people who are similar to you (more fun for you), or be able to take on a range of people good or bad for variety (to test yourself more).

Yeah I think there is zero matchmaking code in WfC. Unless there is a hidden/unknown calculation this would probably have to be your total class level. Maybe there aren't enough games going to make it beneficial (ie. longer lobby waits) to fill your game with similarly skilled players. But I can be against a team of nearly all prime'd players without one on my team, maybe they are a party or maybe there is no team balancing?

With my scout, it is definitely a game of safety and survival not heroics. And I have been a victim of some very crafty scientists..
1. I am being shot at from the side.
2. I look to see who is shooting me.
3. It is a sentry gun.
4. I get stabbed from behind by the sentry gun owner.. Mr or Mrs Scientist.

kaiden
17th September 2010, 09:42 AM
Yeah I think there is zero matchmaking code in WfC. Unless there is a hidden/unknown calculation this would probably have to be your total class level. Maybe there aren't enough games going to make it beneficial (ie. longer lobby waits) to fill your game with similarly skilled players. But I can be against a team of nearly all prime'd players without one on my team, maybe they are a party or maybe there is no team balancing?

With my scout, it is definitely a game of safety and survival not heroics. And I have been a victim of some very crafty scientists..
1. I am being shot at from the side.
2. I look to see who is shooting me.
3. It is a sentry gun.
4. I get stabbed from behind by the sentry gun owner.. Mr or Mrs Scientist.

The balancing is based on scores from the previous game. it sort of works, but often not.

for scout, first thing to do is go invisible and get an overshield since you are the second fastest (scientist is faster right?) and then you want to flank enemies and try to atk them from behind. the shotgun is your best weapon - a few shots from behind and a melee atk and you can take down pretty much anything on your own. any time you are in danger, run! go get a health cube from where ever you can remember and then repeat the process.

once you get the hang of it, you should be able to silently lurk around the map looking for enemies by themselves or engaged against your team mates, sneak up and kill and run away.

against scientists, always point your aiming reticle at them to see if they are disguised. and yeah try to be aware of sentry guns.

i wish i had a ps3 again :(

GoktimusPrime
17th September 2010, 09:59 AM
its not really a game where you can really go easier on the opposing team... if you are constantly dying, first thing to do is find your team mates and follow them - strength in numbers.
That's assuming your teammates are actually helpful and don't just run off on their own trying to be individual heroes. Sometimes you can get helpful teammates... but often everyone's just running off doing their own thing - fellow teammates be damned. Those teams often lose against better teams where members are more cooperative though. But I'm often lumped in the uncooperative team where we always get creamed by the opposition team who actually work with each other. Depends on what kind of players you get teamed up with.

i wish i had a ps3 again
Meh... I'm totally over console gaming (I'm gonna be selling my Wii in the near future). I'm playing this game on PC. :)

kaiden
17th September 2010, 11:28 AM
Meh... I'm totally over console gaming (I'm gonna be selling my Wii in the near future). I'm playing this game on PC. :)

i miss my consoles since they were stolen -.-

but if you prefer pc gaming then you are probably more suited to it. im more comfortable with a console since i prefer handheld controllers.

Lord_Zed
17th September 2010, 01:22 PM
Yeah there is a skill matching sytem present in War For Cybertron. It's not to bad, I got matched up with other noobs two skillfull guys and one ubber player last time I played. And annoying as sometimes it is the lack of in game communication system means you don't have to worry about the usual "I owned you nooB!" comments.

Your example with the minatures game is why I'll always prefer playing minatures games to multiplayer online computer gamers. While it's true there's only so much you can do to help new players, One of my pet peeves is those players that go out of their way to own the noobs and then crow about it like it's a big deal (Just to clarify I don't mean anyone here, rather reffering to people I have encountered online). That's pretty much why I stoped playing games online. I've given it a go again with WFC. I think the limited popularity of the game actualy works in my favour in this instance. there are less uber players out there.

1AZRAEL1
19th September 2010, 11:44 AM
Well, I am nearly completed on both versions on DS. 75ish%. What I am planning on doing once I am done, is to play through it again to give people a guide as to where the Data Disks and what levelling up characters gives you. Because as far as I know, there are no real guides out there atm, and no walkthroughs. TFW does have a thread, but its a bit all over the place.

Anyhoo, I won Grimlock the other day, and boy, does he kick major ass. And I love the fact when you select him he says "Me Grimlock say me on my way" :D Him and Swoop area a great combo if you build them up like I have, and they have swords very reminiscent of their G1 counterparts :D

SharkyMcShark
19th September 2010, 08:44 PM
I finally worked up the will to get past the Decpeticon flying level and my god, it really does pick up.

The first two levels were abysmal but after that it got really really good. The second half of the third level and the fourth level were intense.

I really feel that this deserves a full toyline - I'd love to have a toy of Breakdown (who has been my favourite character thus far).

gekisou
23rd September 2010, 03:23 PM
Without an Xbox 360 or a PS3, I have to get the PC version... which Australia doesn't have. Thanx to ebay, one is on its way but to tide me over, I am playing the DS version. Have gotten to the 2nd last stage in the campaign for Autobots, I must say its pretty impressive.
Sure, most of the characters are slow and moving around can be a problem and enemies almost never miss but there is a nice number of characters. Each size/terrain type has some usefulness and the voice acting is top-notch. Graphics aren't fantastic but this is the DS in 3D, what do you expect?
Overall, I enjoy the DS version. Can't wait for the PC version to arrive. :)

1AZRAEL1
23rd September 2010, 03:30 PM
Without an Xbox 360 or a PS3, I have to get the PC version... which Australia doesn't have. Thanx to ebay, one is on its way but to tide me over, I am playing the DS version. Have gotten to the 2nd last stage in the campaign for Autobots, I must say its pretty impressive.
Sure, most of the characters are slow and moving around can be a problem and enemies almost never miss but there is a nice number of characters. Each size/terrain type has some usefulness and the voice acting is top-notch. Graphics aren't fantastic but this is the DS in 3D, what do you expect?
Overall, I enjoy the DS version. Can't wait for the PC version to arrive. :)

Still fun to play though. I have completed all the missions and got all the data disks for the Autobots, now just doing arduous task of leveling them all up. Then it's up to taking on someone with the Con version to win all the characters I don't have. (but that's easy when I have my missus DS to do that with :D)

I too want the PC version, but don't have the funds to do so atm, but will soon I reckon.

Hereticpoo
23rd September 2010, 03:37 PM

Mate you gotta stick with it! Alot of players dont hunt noobs on purpose, its more of a luck thing. Its like a new map that everbody else knows where the killy spots are. If you're just out trying to familiarise yourself with the game and the map chances are you'll just stroll right past an enemy and bam they get you before you see them. Try scout class first. Cloak up and familiarise yourself with the map with that added stealth protection. My bane is Scientist. I just plain suck with the scientist. When you're level 0-5 in any class your going to be on the back foot. Keep trying and it'll get better! :)

gekisou
23rd September 2010, 05:14 PM
Still fun to play though. I have completed all the missions and got all the data disks for the Autobots, now just doing arduous task of leveling them all up. Then it's up to taking on someone with the Con version to win all the characters I don't have. (but that's easy when I have my missus DS to do that with )

I too want the PC version, but don't have the funds to do so atm, but will soon I reckon.

Dammit, I don't have a second DS, I will never be able to get all my missing TFs. Curse you Pokemon mentality!!! :P
And I agree with you, its good fun.

1AZRAEL1
23rd September 2010, 06:26 PM
Dammit, I don't have a second DS, I will never be able to get all my missing TFs. Curse you Pokemon mentality!!! :P
And I agree with you, its good fun.

Just find someone with another DS and transfer them haha

Tetsuwan Convoy
26th September 2010, 07:33 PM
Wooooooo! Took my Scout and Warrior out for a run yesterday. Could only find a bit of fun in team deathmatch, which was a shame, I really wanted to give the 'plant the bomb' mode a go and it's not much fun when playing by yourself...:p

Anyhoo, I had a couple of good rounds where I ended up coming 3rd in the kill amounts! Made me feel good, everyone's character was about the level 0/1/2/3 mark. Actually got to the point where some of the level 0 playeers were hanging around me.... Lol. kind of sad considering how rubbish I am at MP.

Did have a very cool situation where I managed to take out 2 of the other team and they were both firing at me after I jumped off a bridge and they were there. lol. Cranked up my scrapmaker and blasted away, hoping for the best and managed to take them both down. I was sure that when I found 2 people together like that, I would be toast. Final last stand that wasn't final.:D

Top class fun was had by me and the confidence boost means I will be playing MP online a bit more.:rolleyes:

GoktimusPrime
26th September 2010, 09:02 PM
Just out of interest... cos I'm playing this game on PC, would I be able to join servers where people are playing on consoles like X-Box and Wii etc.? Or are people able to all join onto the same servers irrespective of what platform they're playing on?

SharkyMcShark
26th September 2010, 09:50 PM
No the servers aren't cross platform between the PS3/PC/Xbox360, and the Wii version is an entirely different game.

Tetsuwan Convoy
26th September 2010, 11:52 PM
Sadly not there Goki. Shame really, because it would be fantastically awesome if they could. there would be less worry about finding games.

We could also really have some awesome CONSOLE WARS!

griffin
21st October 2010, 12:55 AM
Got myself a gold trophy for WFC on monday night. I think it's the only gold trophy in WFC... for getting past wave 15 of Escalation.
Very happy. :D

Deonasis
25th October 2010, 01:17 AM
Got myself a gold trophy for WFC on monday night. I think it's the only gold trophy in WFC... for getting past wave 15 of Escalation.
Very happy. :D

Nice griffin, I still only get to Wave 6 or so :( What is your technique, charater etc..

griffin
25th October 2010, 02:14 AM
Um, not really anything. It comes down to 3 other competant players really.
But I find that Broken Hope is an easy one to get through the waves quickly. Especially when you get into the room with the Overshield - which only takes 400 points to get into, and 250 for the overshield.
The other room with the scrapmaker gun takes 700 points and 600 for the gun, so if you have like-minded players who go for just those two rooms for those two items, it really helps.
The only tip I would have though, is use a cloaker if possible... if you end up being the last one left alive near the end of a wave, cloaking gives you a break from the enemy tracking you down, so you can relocate or resupply.

Sleeve
25th October 2010, 10:10 AM
But I find that Broken Hope is an easy one to get through the waves quickly. Especially when you get into the room with the Overshield - which only takes 400 points to get into, and 250 for the overshield.
The other room with the scrapmaker gun takes 700 points and 600 for the gun, so if you have like-minded players who go for just those two rooms for those two items, it really helps.

I remember reading someone's post on TFW2005 months ago where he had that same strategy. They were all organising getting together for that trophy and those were his 'conditions' for anyone joining him - go straight for the Overshield and Scrapmaker.

griffin
25th October 2010, 01:06 PM
We could organise to do something similar if you want... say, saturday night(s) at a set time we get a game going and I can help others get that gold trophy (or just have a scheduled play together, bit like a weekly meet online)?

Mr Ed
25th October 2010, 01:33 PM
Has anyone been consistently playing the Multiplayer lately.

For the 360, when I go online, there doesnt seem to be that many people playing.

I remember, they had a 2x and 5x boost for gaming.

I guess I will go on if they have the next boost. Hopefully its 10x as it is painful to level up. I am around level 15 for all 4 characters.

griffin
25th October 2010, 02:07 PM
The PS3 has between 400-900 people on during the day at the moment (depending on what time of day it is in America). But I think that is spread across the 3 forms of online play - Campaign, Escalation, Multi-player... so some of the individual games often only have about 20 people or less in them.
Soon it will be impossible to play most of the online games if the server can't find a game for you or find other players to join you, to start a game.

Sleeve
25th October 2010, 03:12 PM
We could organise to do something similar if you want... say, saturday night(s) at a set time we get a game going and I can help others get that gold trophy (or just have a scheduled play together, bit like a weekly meet online)?

Now that I've actually tried Escalation and failed miserably (in the 1st wave :cool:), that sounds like a good idea. Given a few days notice I should be able to book myself in for a few hours on a set night.

griffin
26th October 2010, 01:48 AM
Try practicing on your own first if you are worried about being a noob in a public game. Host a game, but set it to 'Friends Only', as that allows you to play on your own (other settings require another person to join before it starts).

When you get into the game, find a corner you can take cover in, so that you don't get attacked from behind. Because when you're on your own, they all come at you like metal filings to a magnet. When it becomes too intense, cloak (if you have a cloaker) and relocate as far away as possible. By the time they catch up to you, and you fight off a few, your cloaking should be recharged to use and relocate again.

How about this Saturday night, 8 or 9pm, or whatever time is best for those interested (I should be home all night, and can be playing while I wait for others to log in). And I'll stick to just the first two maps too, as I don't think too many of us locals have the expansion packs.

Paulbot
26th October 2010, 11:11 AM
Try practicing on your own first if you are worried about being a noob in a public game. Host a game, but set it to 'Friends Only', as that allows you to play on your own (other settings require another person to join before it starts).

I'm going to try that, but that still requires you to be connected to the Internet doesn't it? My PS3 is not connected to the Internet and I'd prefer it not to be, but I would like to play as Arcee or Slipstream.

griffin
26th October 2010, 02:46 PM
Yep, still need internet connection for all the online games... despite it saying someone is hosting a game. And when the 'host' logs off, everyone else is kicked out as if it were being hosted by that actual person, instead of at the PSN server. ?????

My main hate for the WFC PSN server is, when it finds a public game for you, it isn't random. Several times now (including last night), I've been shunted into the same game over and over again. You can see that there are at least several games accessable at the time you look for a public game (it says something like 'reserving space in 1 of 5'), but for some reason, they seem to be ordered so that you always get sent to the first one on their list if there are spots open in that particular game (I always use Worldwide setting, as no one ever logs in under 'Regional').
One evening in particular, I kept getting shunted into a Wave 15 game, which meant a lot of spectating until the current players completed that wave (for the inexperienced - entering a game that is already in progress, you have to wait until the next wave begins). But worse still, I don't want to be entering a game past Wave 10 (or even wave 5) with no points to buy shielding or weaponary.
Without a random selection of accessable games, or even being able to select a specific game (by giving a list of the ones available - what Map and Wave they are at), you can effectively be locked out of the public Escalation Server for up to half an hour... In that particular example, I attempted to access a public game 17 times before it gave me a different game (the Wave 15 game might have finally ended by then).
And last night, I had for the second time, a defective game, which had someone's character floating somewhere it shouldn't have been, but, the PSN server kept shunting me into that game, which had me Spectating Sideswipe in car mode doing nothing. Until that person logs off, that was going to keep being an active game. I was shunted into it about 10 times before I gave up and went to bed, but one of those times I stayed in the 'Game' and saw quite a few other people haveing the same problem (someone would be shunted to the game, and then leave it, only to be shunted back into it a minute later).

The other issue I have with Escalation, which I thought was just my earlier connection problems, but still happens even now - out of body experiances. A new game would start (select character and then go through the countdown), but the moment the actual Game starts, I'm hovering WAAAY over the top of the battlefield, and all I can see are the enemy running around shooting and attacking. My own character isn't in front of me, hovering above the battlefield - it's as if it is on the ground, but I can't see it or move it (because I can feel the shakes of damage as Spiders and Decepticons are attacking 'the invisible' me). It usually happens in Broken Hope, but also happened last night in Pulse (both games that have you as an Autobot). And no matter what happens to my actual character (which I can feel being attacked and killed), I remain pinned up against the 'ceiling', looking down on everything.
It's a definite defect of the game, and probably not one they would try to fix now that the game itself is not likely to have any further investment into it.

Bartrim
26th October 2010, 03:23 PM
I'm going to try that.

Same. I'm itching to give some of the DLC characters a go. Haven't used them since I got them.

griffin
26th October 2010, 04:21 PM
Don't forget to add me (griffinofoz) to your friends list if you're on PS3. pwetty pwease... :p

Bartrim
26th October 2010, 04:39 PM
Don't forget to add me (griffinofoz) to your friends list if you're on PS3. pwetty pwease... :p

Well you haven't added me yet :p

Sleeve
26th October 2010, 08:32 PM
Sorted. Ladies are going out for drinky drinkies, I get the PS3 for a few hours. Saturday night? :D

Bartrim
26th October 2010, 09:28 PM
I might be able to get on too. I even just requested friendship from griffin... Oooh fingers crossed he accepts :p

Mr Ed
26th October 2010, 10:52 PM
The PS3 has between 400-900 people on during the day at the moment (depending on what time of day it is in America). But I think that is spread across the 3 forms of online play - Campaign, Escalation, Multi-player... so some of the individual games often only have about 20 people or less in them.

When WFC was first released, the 360 servers had 5000 people online. Now its died down. I dont know if I can rank to 50 now :eek:

Bartrim
28th October 2010, 12:19 PM
Yay Griffin accepted my friendship:D I was so concerned he wouldn't but then he did:p (yes I am a a smart arse)

On a more inconvenient note I wont be able to participate this Saturday night as my inconsiderate sister in law had a baby and I have to go and see her in Sydney on Saturday.

griffin
28th October 2010, 02:04 PM
I'll try to get on around 8 or 9pm, and start hosting some Escalation games in Broken Hope, and see how far we get into it (the more people who join in - up to 4, the better our chances).
Best characters to use - Ratchet, Arcee, Airraid (if you have completed the game and have expansion packs). Otherwise, best character features are Cloak, Shield, Sentry, Warcry - so try to get a character that has one of those.

Sleeve
28th October 2010, 10:42 PM
Gave Escalation another go this evening for an hour or so, and farthest I made it to was wave 9. Absolutely loving it, and don't know why I haven't played it a lot more. Well, I suppose I was too pre-occupied with Multiplayer, but now I've unlocked Prime Mode it's grown kind of stale. Escalation is definitely a game of strategy, especially deciding when and where to spend energon, whereas MP is pretty much just run/shoot/die.

If we get time, any chance of getting a co-op level out of the way too? I've tried for ages so I can get the trophies, but every time there are no games to join and no one joins when I host.

GoktimusPrime
31st October 2010, 03:09 PM
Primus DAMNIT! A few weeks ago my wife's friend came over and I let her little son play War For Cybertron, Decepticon Campaign - from level 1. So now my save game has been reset, meaning I gotta replay the entire campaign again from scratch!! :mad:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/avatars/ngsmoov_facepalmmegatron.jpghttp://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/avatars/jaam_pain.gif

Sleeve
2nd November 2010, 08:56 PM
ARGH! Died with only a few enemies left in wave 15. :mad:

I've been addicted to Escalation in the last week, it really has giving me a newfound appreciation for this game. Yesterday and today someone with the tag 'tate198198' has been hosting Remnant and Broken Hope non-stop but not actually playing, so the most a game can have is 3 (active) players.

I was fortunate to be playing with someone tonight who knew how to share their energon spoils strategically, and thus we (along with another player who kept falling every 30 seconds) actually made it to wave 15. Unfortunately the third player went down halfway through, and then just before we were going to take down the big bad we fell within seconds of each other. Frustrating is an understatement.

SamLoi888
2nd November 2010, 09:03 PM
I haven't played Escalation at all yet. It's been Multiplayer all the way...doing ok. Usually more kills than deaths so that's a plus.

Quickstrike
2nd November 2010, 09:19 PM
Yep, still need internet connection for all the online games... despite it saying someone is hosting a game. And when the 'host' logs off, everyone else is kicked out as if it were being hosted by that actual person, instead of at the PSN server. ?????

Multiplayer games ARE being hosted by an "actual person". There are no WFC servers.

Well, maybe there are dedicated servers around for the PC version but I don't know. :confused:

griffin
3rd November 2010, 03:57 AM
Multiplayer games ARE being hosted by an "actual person". There are no WFC servers.

There has to be, because one weekend, the screen came up with a dialogue box saying that the WFC server was down... and it wouldn't let me even access the menues for Multi-player and Escalation. The only thing I could access for several hours was the single player Campaign part of the game.
My thinking is that people are just hosting the games on the WFC server, like a temporary resident, or like someone renting a function room for a meeting, but when the host leaves, or is removed from the venue, the whole party has to leave too.

And Sleeve - sorry to hear that, it happened to me a few days before I did get past wave 15... I wasn't happy either.
I've also been spending a fair bit of time on Escalation, trying to see if I can get to wave 15 as a solo player - have managed to get to wave 11 so far, twice, in Broken Hope. (the first time, I died because I couldn't hold off taking a leak any longer... :o )

griffin
9th November 2010, 02:05 AM
After finding a set of youtube vids to get the Logo locations, I've now only got six trophies left (all multi-player), to earn the Platinum on PS3.
Unfortunately, I need to get prime mode to do that, and that's gonna take some time...

Saintly
10th November 2010, 10:55 AM
tip... play competitive Co-Op to kill two trophies in 1 game.

adds
10th November 2010, 11:17 AM
Is there anyone playing multi-player on the PC?

Bartrim
10th November 2010, 11:28 AM
I've really got to start playing this again and get online.

5FDP
10th November 2010, 12:24 PM
I've really got to start playing this again and get online.

+1... except the bit about playing online. Haven't fired up the disc for a couple of months now.

1AZRAEL1
10th November 2010, 12:26 PM
I haven't even bought it on PC yet :p

Bartrim
10th November 2010, 12:35 PM
+1... except the bit about playing online. Haven't fired up the disc for a couple of months now.

I actually put it in about a month ago and played a little bit of the Decepticon campaign and had quite a bit of fun doing it... Maybe it was just being Brawl and blowing stuff up I enjoyed:D

griffin
10th November 2010, 12:56 PM
Is there anyone playing multi-player on the PC?

I'm trying to most days, but I'm finding that our mid-morning (east coast) is now the required time to play, or else there aren't enough American people playing to activate more than Team Deathmatch. All the other games seem to not have enough people to start them (most need 4 to start).

As Saintly mentioned, multi-player campaign (with or without others) with points, helps gain more trophies at once.
I also found that playing with others (join or host a public game), makes it easier to get through certain difficult stages... but if you get a noob, it can be a lot harder, as the game has to restart everytime someone dies.

For help finding all the hidden logos, check out the ten clips here (http://www.youtube.com/user/TheHDGamer01).

adds
10th November 2010, 03:58 PM
I'm trying to most days, but I'm finding that our mid-morning (east coast) is now the required time to play, or else there aren't enough American people playing to activate more than Team Deathmatch. All the other games seem to not have enough people to start them (most need 4 to start).

Thanks Griffin. It makes sense. Also explains why there is more action on weekends when they stay up late.

Sleeve
10th November 2010, 07:05 PM
Well, only have one trophy to go - Wave 15 of Escalation. I actually joined a game yesterday afternoon that was at wave 40, but even though I finished that wave and the next, you must have to physically finish wave 15 to get the trophy, as I didn't get it. Boo. :p

Deonasis
10th November 2010, 07:31 PM
I joined a game at wave 9 and went thru till about wave 23 when i was kicked for idling (nappies dont change thsmselves). I got the wave 15 achievement but i wasnt expecting it because i died during the wave, luckily my teammates helped us thru. I am better for it too, playing beside or watching more skilled players has helped my technique and people are now hanging around me :cool: as i methodically work thru wave 10. How you get near wave 15 without cloaking or friends though is beyond me.

griffin
11th November 2010, 01:20 AM
Yeah, it's impossible without cloaking or mutliple people, as all the enemies seek you out at once. Cloaking stops their seeking ability, allowing you to relocate somewhere safe. While having mutliple people on at the same times splits up the enemies between each person.

So I guess it's kind of a cheat if you enter escalation any time before wave 15, and just survive to wave 16.

Gee, wave 40? Which map?
It can take over an hour getting to the mid-teens... If each wave gets more intense with more enemies, it must have taken many hours to get to wave 40.
(it might explain how those people on the top of the leaderboard have 4-6 million points, and about a month of gameplay clocked - and I've only clocked a bit over a day of gameplay and about 600,000 points.)

Sleeve
11th November 2010, 02:35 PM
Gee, wave 40? Which map?
It can take over an hour getting to the mid-teens... If each wave gets more intense with more enemies, it must have taken many hours to get to wave 40.
(it might explain how those people on the top of the leaderboard have 4-6 million points, and about a month of gameplay clocked - and I've only clocked a bit over a day of gameplay and about 600,000 points.)

Forgotten the name. It's a Decepticon map that you and I played, with the Overshield down in that tunnel. The enemies were all exactly the same in waves 40-43 - a few light troopers and cloakers, some brutes and the big guys with the detachable cannons, and a few flyers. We all just huddled in this small room with only one entrance, and the enemies would enter pretty much one at a time. It was really quite simple.

Ryathalas
11th November 2010, 09:05 PM
Xbox live ID yleehs add me if you want to play sometime always up for a round of escalation or 15 :)

griffin
12th November 2010, 12:48 AM
Forgotten the name. It's a Decepticon map that you and I played, with the Overshield down in that tunnel. The enemies were all exactly the same in waves 40-43 - a few light troopers and cloakers, some brutes and the big guys with the detachable cannons, and a few flyers. We all just huddled in this small room with only one entrance, and the enemies would enter pretty much one at a time. It was really quite simple.

Yeah, that's District - the one I found to be quite easy to get through the waves on my own. It's the one I got to Wave 12 on before I messed up on something stupid. With a Scrapmaker and Magma Frag Launcher (for the Brutes), a cloaker can dash from one end to the other after a couple doors are opened and pick off the enemy as they catch up in waves.

43 waves still would have taken some time though, I would imagine.

Saintly
12th November 2010, 03:21 PM
I found wave 1 all too hard :D

Deonasis
12th November 2010, 04:14 PM

Every wave is, until you know what to expect from each of them :D

griffin
16th November 2010, 12:26 PM
Got to wave 15 on saturday - took me 2 1/2 hours.
Found out that the on-screen points tally only goes up to 9999... There just isn't much to spend it on.
Because after openning up 3 particular doors, and accessing 3 particular items (Scrapmaker, Overshield, Thermo mines - for the Brutes), it's strategically better to leave all the other doors closed, to give you more places you can 'have your back against the wall'. If you can control the direction the enemy has to approach your position, you don't have to cover as many different directions at the same time.
And I've found that the 2 big cannon turrets that you can also buy in certain high-priced rooms, are more of a red herring - due to them being too big to take with you in alt-mode, they limit your speed in robot mode, and disappear after a while if you discard it to relocate yourself or need to go buy something else.
Once when I got to wave 12, I bought the most powerful, explosive cannon, and died very quickly because I wasn't prepared for it being such a burden.

Hmmm, I gotta get this interested in the multi-player games...

Bartrim
16th November 2010, 12:30 PM

I got to wave 2 on Friday as Jazz:D... and passed you on my friends leaderboard in the process:p

gekisou
18th November 2010, 09:45 AM
Finally got this on my PC cos... you know, Australia never released the PC version and I don't have either a PS3 or Xbox 360...
Finished the Decepticon campaign in 3 hours... give or take.... and it was straight too... didn't get much sleep... have to go to work... argh...
It is great and while I'm really late to the game and know what would happen storywise, the game is still very impressive. I hope to finish the Autobot campaign today after work. :)

GoktimusPrime
27th November 2010, 12:40 AM
I played the online multiplayer mode tonight for the first time and as predicted, I got my tailpipe handed back to me by other more experienced players! I don't have a microphone so I can't tell them that it was my first time... but somehow I suspect that wouldn't have helped (if anything it might've made them target me more :p)

Anyway, my online player name is, surprisingly, GoktimusPrime. My Autobot characters are all orange and blue (colours of Optimal Optimus) and my Decepticons are all pink and cyan (the colours of G2 Breakdown, hehe). I also noticed that other players were cooperating with each other. This could possibly because they have mics and can talk to each other. Is there a way I can at least type to other players? (being able to communicate by text is better than nothing at all) How do I add players to my friends list? I tried searching for gekisou but couldn't find anything... can't remember if I typed it all lower case or if I typed "Gekisou"... might need to try again next time I'm logged in.

But yeah... getting continually pwned isn't much fun. :/

griffin
29th November 2010, 02:37 PM
Thanks to the 10x 'weekend', was able to get prime mode, just as it ended. Got all trophies now.

I did start getting into Multiplayer a bit, but still prefer Escalation, as it doesn't feel like it coud get personal. I prevented someone from completing one of the personal challanges, and they were a bit annoyed (they had a headset). And if I notice someone killing me a couple times, I sometimes stubbornly hunt them down for revenge... which usually gets me killed even more. :p

A couple of the higher ranking abilities in MP were fun though.
Leader class has a 'Martyrdom' ability, which has you drop your mines when killed. I had the 'extra mine' abililty as well, so I started getting into close combat just to die, and then see/hear my 2 mines kill the opponent straight after. It was even better when they have headsets... :D
That was actually the most fun I had with all of MP.

I thought Soldier class was the worst at first, because I kept dying so easily, but somehow it was the only class I got MVP... twice! Really unexpected.
It ended up being a bit more fun with the higher ranking ability that gives you an ion cannon with your weapons beacon. I created some carnage then... :p

Still gonna do saturday nights though.
I tried to host some games last night, but couldn't seem to get either of the others online at the time, to be able to join. I was surprised that I could start Conquest without a minimum, but wasn't able to accumulate any points though. I wonder if all private matches don't earn points. Hopefully find out next saturday.

GoktimusPrime
29th November 2010, 05:04 PM
Last weekend was my very first time to play MP... so for example I would get 1500XP for conquering a node... so I guess this must mean it's normally 150XP for taking a node.

I started off on Level 0 for everything on Saturday - going up against level 20-25 players(is level 25 the highest?), and ended up on Level 9 for my Leader and Soldier.

Leader class has a 'Martyrdom' ability, which has you drop your mines when killed. I had the 'extra mine' abililty as well, so I started getting into close combat just to die, and then see/hear my 2 mines kill the opponent straight after. It was even better when they have headsets...
I think you can also get bonus points for killing people after you've died (and before respawning).

One frustrating feature about this game - there's no way to pause if you need to AFK. A couple of times last night I needed to take extended breaks mid-game cos my daughter was crying... so I'd transform and park myself in a corner facing a wall - as a clear sign that I'm AFK. And of course, when I get back I've respawned. One kid at school told me that some players on other games will face directly upward with their weapon aimed at the sky to indicate AFK... which doesn't work either (i.e. other players don't care and take the free kill opportunity).

Bah!

I saw one player yesterday evening who was just standing there - clearly AFK. So I just jumped up and down and transformed back and forth in front of him for a while before moving on. Didn't kill him though. Maybe cos it was 10XP weekend... but I wouldn't be surprised if people still behaved that way outside of 10XP days. :p

Bartrim
29th November 2010, 05:17 PM
Still gonna do saturday nights though.

Cool as since you've decided to do that I've really gotten back into WFC. Plus my headset will be charged.

How does a headset work? Who can you talk to? Is it only the people you are playing against or is it just your friends?

1AZRAEL1
29th November 2010, 07:43 PM
Damn I want a PS3 so I can play this online with you guys before you get bored with it, or the next one comes out :p

GoktimusPrime
29th November 2010, 09:25 PM
AAARGH! My WFC is stuffing around with me tonight for some unknown reason. Here's what happened...

Started up the program
Logged on for multiplayer
Looked for a Conquest game to join
The "Finding Game" box then suddenly disappeared without me cancelling it. Weird.
Tried again - entire program SHUTS DOWN.

Starts game again -- NO start up menu appears (ya know, where it says "Play Game, Uninstall" etc. - it just started the game straight up. Also never happened before.
Sign in and try to join a game. Find game menu shuts down. Try again - whole program shuts down.

So I run a quick scan and 20 threats are deleted. Run program again - same result.
So now I'm backing up my system to run a full scan... but graaargh... I would really HATE to have to uninstall the game and LOSE all my save games and multiplayer characters. :(

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/avatars/facepalm_movieprime.jpghttp://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/avatars/jaam_shoulders.gif

griffin
30th November 2010, 12:49 AM
I think you can also get bonus points for killing people after you've died (and before respawning).

That was an added bonus. To kill someone outright gets a set amount of points, but just letting them kill you and killing them 'after-death' gets that same amount of points PLUS points for killing after death PLUS points for killing the person who last killed you. And you don't lose any points for dying... so it just became the best way to make points, AND was just so darn funny, I almost cracked a rib from laughing so hard. :p

Cool as since you've decided to do that I've really gotten back into WFC. Plus my headset will be charged.

How does a headset work? Who can you talk to? Is it only the people you are playing against or is it just your friends?

It's an open voice-over, so everyone will hear anyone using one. It'd be good if you could just talk to select people, so that you could strategise without the opposition hearing.

Were you able to hear me at all last night?

And does this mean I'm the first on this board that has completed the trophies/achievments for WFC? I thought with being so late to get the game & console, and slow getting into it, that others would have finished by now. I was so sure Sleeve would have beaten me to it at least...

GoktimusPrime
30th November 2010, 10:49 AM
It's an open voice-over, so everyone will hear anyone using one. It'd be good if you could just talk to select people, so that you could strategise without the opposition hearing.

Hmm... so if I get a headset... then maybe gekisou and I can talk to each other in Japanese. ;) Of course... that's IF my game still works. :mad: I let my computer run a full scan last night as I went to bed so I haven't tried it since. *sigh*