PDA

View Full Version : MOTU review - Trapjaw

TheFallen
21st June 2010, 12:37 AM
I am back with another review and this time it is for MOTUC Trap Jaw.

Let me just preface this review with a statement that I am not a very good reviewer, I am not a very good photographer and I am in desperate need of a new camera. But I am actually having fun with these reviews. If I continue with these then I will actually have a need to buy a new camera and I will work on my photography skills. My reviews will still probably suck though :)

Are you a shill?... I kid, I kid! :D:D j/k

I know in my last review I mentioned how good these figures are and I really do sound like a shill (even though the above quote is taken out of context) but I thought I would quickly mention the negatives of the line. Apart from the extremely small window to purchase the figures they can also suffer from poor paint apps and loose joints. I really think that shouldn't sway anyone away from the line as I don't think these are any worse than Hasbro's efforts and for the most part the boil method can be used to fix the loose joints. I might actually do a review on that at some stage. Anyway, this review comes first;

MOTUC Trap Jaw
Evil and Armed for Combat

Trap Jaw was the first figure I ever got in the original vintage MOTU line so I was already going to have a nostalgic attachment to the Classics version but this is easily the best figure of the line so far.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj221/TheFallenTonyStone/MOTUC/P1010488.jpg

One of the best things about this figure is he is actually 2 figures in one. Trap Jaw comes with extra accessories (a head and right arm) to make Kronis. For those that never followed the 200x MOTU series, Kronis was part of Keldor's (Skeletor) army and did not have the metal jaw and mechanical arm that has become synonymous with Trap Jaw.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj221/TheFallenTonyStone/MOTUC/P1010492.jpg

According to the bio on the back of the packaging, Kronis became ambitious and created his own army to over throw Skeletor. But Skeletor was too powerful and was the one who damaged Kronis' jaw and arm and left him for dead. Kronis would eventually be rebuilt into Trap Jaw by Tri-Klops. There is a comic that explores this story a bit more. It was released during the 200x era by MV Creations. It is called Icons of Evil: Trap Jaw

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj221/TheFallenTonyStone/MOTUC/P1010490.jpg

The colours on this figure are vibrant and are inspired by the colours on the original vintage figure. There has been some mixed feelings regarding the metallic blue colouring on the lower part of the arms (doesn't show up well in my pics) and at first I wasn't sure if I liked it either but it quickly grew on me .

The Four Horsemen (the sculptors) have done a fantastic job with the details. The metal jaw can open and close and inside Trap Jaw's mouth is a bloody mess of muscle.

The sculpt, as it is for all of these figures, cannot be faulted. When you actually hold one of these figures in your hand you can't help by being surprised by how heavy and solid they are. If you threw one of these and a recent deluxe Transformer (closest size/price point comparison) at a wall the Transformer would most likely break apart but the MOTUC figure would probably leave a hole in the wall.

So far in the line there have been a lot of parts reuse but Trap Jaw was given newly tooled legs, torso, arms and heads. The only shared part was the waist. Since the release of this figure those parts have been reused for Optikk and will most likely be reused again on Man-E-Faces and Roboto.
Trap Jaw also came with attachments for his mechanical arm which are a laser gun, a hook, and an articulated claw.

The standard articulation is located in the ankles, lower legs, knees, thighs, hips, waist, wrists, biceps, shoulders, torso and neck. For Trap Jaw, even his mechanical arm is articulated at the attachment, elbow, bicep and shoulder. The metal jaw is also articulated and can open and close.

A side story to this figure is it is the only figure so far that I was unable to get from mattycollector on sale day as it sold out in quick fashion. I do have a subscription but that is only for one figure and I now collect MOC as well as loose so I had to get a second, plus a third figure to display as Kronis. So yes, I did but 3 of this figure :). Battle Cat (which I managed to get) was sold on the same day and I still think it was the biggest sale day in the history of the line so far.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj221/TheFallenTonyStone/MOTUC/P1010493.jpg

If you haven't made the decision to start with this line then I hope my review may be of some help, if you are already a buyer then I hope you stick around for the ride.
Thank you for reading (if you actually did). Comments and criticisms are more than welcome. If you don't want me to continue posting these then just say so :D

Robzy
21st June 2010, 11:38 AM
Excellent stuff Raider... :) love your comments and opinions. The photos are great too... I'm actually waiting for my new camera so I join in myself!

Hope to see more of your reviews mate...

foor
21st June 2010, 05:34 PM
Great review Raider. Please keep posting them!

TheFallen
21st June 2010, 11:10 PM
Thanks for the kind words and support guys

This has been moved out of the MOTU thread into its own thread. Should I post further reviews in their own thread?

griffin
22nd June 2010, 03:03 PM
I was preferring new topics with each review to make it more obvious (for me at least), and to increase traffic/interest in MOTU by not having just one active topic in this section - but am now consulting with others who are more active in this section.

TheFallen
22nd June 2010, 11:26 PM
I will have a couple more reviews ready by sometime this weekend so I wait to see where you want me to post them

Robzy
23rd June 2010, 07:21 PM
Raider - just make a new thread for each new review. Griffin's right; it will make it more obvious for people who want to read specific reviews, rather than sifting through endless pages.

liegeprime
23rd June 2010, 08:24 PM
Can you take close up pic of Trap jaw's inner mouth, Im just curious of those bundles of muscle you just talked about. I do collect Heman toys but not these classics one.... I actually prefer the modernized ( not sure what they are called - can anyone tell me please ) ones even though they are often fixed in a hunched pose with a constipated look to them.:o

TheFallen
23rd June 2010, 11:01 PM
Can you take close up pic of Trap jaw's inner mouth, Im just curious of those bundles of muscle you just talked about. I do collect Heman toys but not these classics one.... I actually prefer the modernized ( not sure what they are called - can anyone tell me please ) ones even though they are often fixed in a hunched pose with a constipated look to them.:o

I believe the line you are referring to is the 200x relaunch. If they have articulation then they are the Mattel Toys. If they are in a fixed pose with no articulation then they are the NECA Stactions which is a continuation of the 200x toys.

As for the photo, I will post one up as soon as possible

TheFallen
26th June 2010, 03:58 PM
Can you take close up pic of Trap jaw's inner mouth, Im just curious of those bundles of muscle you just talked about.

Here you go liegeprime;

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj221/TheFallenTonyStone/MOTUC/26062010092-1.jpg